mtbr member
    May 2011

Needing a 27.5 frame, suggestions?

I currently have a 26in frame (SC Nickel) that I've done the 650b conversion on and enjoy it but it always seems a little off feeling. So if I can fine the right frame, right price, I'll look into getting a proper frame. I'm looking for a full suspension frame with probably 130mm of travel for xc riding. Suggestions please!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxtremec View Post
    I currently have a 26in frame (SC Nickel) that I've done the 650b conversion on and enjoy it but it always seems a little off feeling. So if I can fine the right frame, right price, I'll look into getting a proper frame. I'm looking for a full suspension frame with probably 130mm of travel for xc riding. Suggestions please!
    5010? What head tube/fork is on the Nickle?
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Currently running a fox float 32 26" fork, will probably replace with appropriate fork on new frame if necessary.

NedwannaB
    Currently running a fox float 32 26" fork, will probably replace with appropriate fork on new frame if necessary.
    Got it. That's what I ran on my converted 26" SL. And same as you, pretty good setup but after a year just didn't settle into it. I'm looking for a 27.5 specific frame/fork now myself too. Haven't settled on travel yet.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I did some traveling and rented a 650b SC Superlight and a Specialized stuntjumper 650b as well. I felt immediately more comfortable especially on the Specialized than my own. So now I'd like to swap what I can to a new frame and sell existing frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been looking into these frames but still don't know what to think. What size rear shock does it take, 200x50mm?

NedwannaB
    I ment suspension travel! I do need to take a trip though....Heh heh...

Is that one of those Asian frames? I've not seen one in person. I'm sure they're good quality for the price, similar to the non name brand carbon rims that are out there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Turner Flux, DW Link is the real deal.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Kona and Commencal have been catching my eye lately but yet to ride any. The Turner looks pretty sweet as well.

mtbr member
    5010. sick climber, tuff, sporty, threaded bb, tried and trued, lifetime warranty, no price gouging, free bearings for life, no bs customer serviece.. done.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Run it without a rear shock!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    whats the main difference between the superlight and the 5010?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm going to post my XL Process frame 134 on pinkbike. What size are you looking for? PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    whats the main difference between the superlight and the 5010?
    Superlight: steeper geo, 100mm travel, and single-pivot suspension.
    5010: mid-slack geo, 130mm travel, and VPP suspension.

If you're on a tighter budget you might consider a leftover Bantam frame...the single-pivot version of the 5010:
    Santa Cruz Bicycles Bantam Mountain Bike Frame - 2015 | Competitive Cyclist

A friend picked up their Bantam X01 build and absolutely loves it. Leftover Devinci Troy frames can also be had in the low $1k range, 140mm rear / 150mm front though - a bit longer travel.

Heads up Flyboy!!
    The new Santa Cruz geometry is drool worthy on the 2016 models. 20mm longer top tubes, slacker geo. I had a 2015 Santa Cruz 5010 and it was an awesome bike. Sold it due to injury and discovered longer toptubes after I recovered and started demoing bikes again. Saying that, the Kona Process 134 ended up being my bike of choice between the
    2016 5010( 148mm boost rearhub, not a bad thing, just need to get a wheel rebuilt for it), the NS Snabb T(143mm rear travel) and the Process 134( I'm running mine with a 150mm Manitou Mattoc, makes the HT angle 67.5, raises the BB .2 in) More suspension in the front always makes a bike feel better IMHO. I'd ride any of these three and be completely stoked!

mtbr member
    Kona and Commencal have been catching my eye lately but yet to ride any. The Turner looks pretty sweet as well.
    We sell Konas and they make a great bike, Maybe look into a Precept or Process. I dont know what you are looking to spend on a frame but there are plenty out there.
    2015 Devinci Troy Carbon

Less yap more braaap
    Probably more of a "boutique" manufacturer but have you heard of Cove Bikes? I think the Hustler might not be too bad as far as Full Suspension XC goes (I actually wanted to get the Cove Handjob as a hardtail XC). 7.875x2.25 shock and goes up to 160mm so it's really more of an "enduro" bike but I think you could toss on a 130mm fork and use a 7.875x2.0 air shock....

Their frames are made in Canada, I heard their manufacturing warehouse was somewhere in Surrey. Chromag is another choice but they only do hardtails.

Another option might be the Pivot Mach4 Carbon, I've heard pretty good things about the DW link and how it's great for climbing and racing.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the great recommendations, lots to google now. I'd like to find a frame sub $1500, love to have carbon but not happening unless I go chinese frame. Current frame have a 200x50 rear shock and front fork is set to 130mm which is pretty ideal for my riding.