mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Need New 27.5 Bike Recomendation

My current wheels are: 2013 Jamis Durano Comp 26
    Pros: Feels well balanced while riding
    Cons: Do not like the 3x9 gears, can take some harder terrain but struggles
    Overall: The bike served me well but always felt something was missing.

I am giving the Durango bicycle to my son and looking for a 1-step up upgrade (due to cost) for myself. At minimum I ride once a week for 10 miles: 6 miles on road (incline/decline roads as steep as 35 degrees) and 4 miles through the woods, some trails, some off trails both with incline/decline dirt/gravel/mud paths. Additional bike riding beyond the minimum 10 miles a week includes a 50/50 split between roads and through the woods terrain including some mud, and gravel. Ride mostly North/West NJ. I am typically a spirited rider but don't do any jumps or falls greater than about 12 inches (1 foot).

The three 2015 bikes considering in 27.5 only (preference):

a) Jamis Dragon Sport ($1200)
    b) Jamis Nemesis Comp ($1100)
    c) Scott Scale 760 ($1250)

The Jamis Komodo Comp has been ruled out due to 3x9 gears

Any feedback to help me decide which of the three bicycles would best fit my need would be grateful. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Jamis makes a nice bike and good parts pick. You should utilize the experience of a local shop and test ride them all. They can also help.you get the correct fit. Good luck!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I visited/called at least 4 bike shops in the area and they either carry MT bikes sub $700 range or greater than $2,000. Nothing in between unless you are looking at road bikes. I did find 1 shop that had the Scott Scale 760 on-site and they let me test it in the parking lot, but the frame size was too small for me and the store did not have my size in stock. All 3 bikes being considered would be purchased site unseen (not ideal). I know with Jamis a 19" frame fits me well from the Durango, but I don't want to discount the Scott neither since it has decent reviews online.

Also each bike shop recommendation all conflicted each other and only confusing me further. The only thing they agreed upon was all 3 are solid performers, but the question is which one would be better for my riding style?

I ride bikes
    I would lean toward the Dragon for a couple reasons.
    1. Steel frame. On a hardtail, having a good steel frame is going to make a much more fun and lively ride. It should be more durable when it comes to dings and dents.
    2. Longer travel fork/ slacker head angle. This makes it more capable on steeper terrain.
    3. Short chainstays. A little bit less stable at speed but should make the rear of the bike easier to maneuver.
    4. You aren't planning on racing, so the extra 1+ lb in frame weight shouldnt matter.
    5. Shimano components. personal preference.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Ended up purchasing the Jamis Nemesis over the Dragon Comp for the following reasons:

The Dragon Comp frame was Reynolds 520 steel and not 853. The 520 steel had a higher flex than I preferred and according to the sales people, has more of a tendency to rust when the paint chips away over the 853 which per them is stronger (less flex) and more rust resistant (aka, less frame maintenance). If it was the 853 steel I would have purchased the Dragon.

First impressions of the Nemesis Comp bike (rode 3 hours on it through the Ramapo Mountains), overall a superior feel bike over my former Durango except I thought the Durango dampened the vibrations slightly better. For example, when I was going downhill on a very rocky slope, the vibrations was so massive I thought the fillings in my teeth were going to pop out. It's been 2 days since that run and my elbows and knees are still sore (this is unusual). I have the front fork air shock set to 115psi in comparison to the Druango I had the spring set to the stiffest tension.

Need a few more runs before I solidify my final thoughts, had to get the breaks adjusted already as the front disc break wasn't grabbing as strong as I would have preferred, but I attribute that to break-in. The store adjusted them afterwards and confirmed the travel was off.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need New 27.5 Bike Recomendation-imag0471.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    BTW, I already removed the wheel reflectors and taped up the aluminum frame with rubber tape by the chain (not shown in photo).

Following URL has the front fork PSI information: https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...art_2014_0.pdf