mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Need help with my mtb

Hello, my name is Brenan. I recently bought at cannondale catalyst 1 and have had some fun with it. After a new derailleur and a couple of knocked off chains I realized i need help. I am in need of help with what a bad noise coming from the crank is. I put that bike through torture already, in trails, jumps, wheelies and a bunch or crashes, and want to make sure it is not in bad condition. Also what is the benefits of having a 1-11 gear ratio instead of my 3-7.

Cycologist
    You need to provide more info. Has the bad noise increased over time or did it just start suddenly? Could be you need a new bottom bracket, or at least need to clean it out and regrease it. What happened to your derailleur, damaged in a crash?

1x11 only requires a rear derailleur and shifter, no front derailleur to mess with and provides a better place to mount a dropper lever since you don't need a shifter on the left side of the handlebar. This isn't a gear ratio, gear ratio is the ratio of the number of chainring teeth to the number of cog teeth. With a 3x7, there really aren't 21 gears, many combinations have the same or very similar gear ratios so a 1x eliminates that redundancy.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I went of a jump sideways and the petal hit a tree. This is the side that the gear is on and it has not gotten worse or any better. Iím not sure if I broke something or if something got in the seal. Also when the right petal is down and the left is up it makes a bad squeaking sound.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Also do you think a 1-11 or 1-10 is better? I am using the bike is all different things, so I am not specializing in one thing, like downhill or street or climbing.

Cycologist
    You need to determine if the problem is with the crank or the pedal, sounds like it may be the pedal, something bent. Put the bike in a stand, or lift the rear tire off the ground, and rotate the crank without turning the pedal and see if you have the noise. Also try just rotating the pedal around without moving the crank.

Yes, I think 1x11 is better than 3x7 but it is not a cheap and easy upgrade, 11 speed cassette will not work on your hub, you'd need a new wheel, shifter, derailleur, chain.

You bought this bike used, right? Looks like the new ones are 3x9.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    In the next I will try that with the petal and crank and see what happens. I did by this bike new from a bike shop, and this is my 3rd week having the bike. If I was to do the conversion over to a 1-11, do you think after it would be worth selling the other 3-7 parts to it or not. Also what are the price ranges for the 1-11, and does it come in a complete kit or you have to buy all parts seperste.

Cycologist
    I think you will find the conversion to be expensive, price depends on the components, SLX, XT, etc. To be honest, not worth doing on that bike. There is nothing really wrong with your 3x7, ride it for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Chasing noises is tough over a forum. On a 3x, noise from the front derailleur is a good possibility especially if the noise is loud and youíre dropping chains. Just look through the top of the derailleur while turning the crank. Youíll probably see a slight lateral wobble in the chainring. Youíll be able to see the chain rub the derailleur cage if that is indeed the problem. The new derailleur, was it front or rear and who installed it? If it is rubbing, how to fix depends on why itís rubbing. If itís the BB or pedal the sound is different and usually you feel it as much as hear it. On a bike thatís a couple of weeks old you should have the bike shop diagnose this. Without hearing and seeing it, weíd all be guessing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    It is the rear derailleur and the bike show I originally bought the bike from installed it. I will defidetally bring it to the bike shop to let them hear it.