mtbr member
    Jan 2015

My First FS BIKE, 2016 GIANT TRANCE 3

I got a 2016 Giant Trance 3 yesterday for a bargain price. It's my first FS bike so I don't know if there's a configuration that I need to do before riding it.

Anyway, my question is... can I convert this trance which is a TRAIL bike into enduro type ?

Apparently, it has 140mm fork and rear sus 140mm as well.

mtbr member
    The Trance is plenty capable and was ridden in the EWS 2014 with 160mm forks before the Reign eventually got available the next year, I ride the 2015 Trance SX myself on more gnarly trails where people usually show up with real enduro and DH bikes

The only three upgrades I'd strongly recommend is a shorter 50mm stem/wider 780mm bar, a bigger 200mm disc front (use the existing 180 disc in the rear) and a 150 or 175mm dropper post depending on what fits with your body / frame size combo since the ability to quickly lower your center of gravity is most essential these days

On a new bike taking all bearings apart and greasing them is highly recommended, otherwise your chances are good that headset and bottom bracket will be shot within 1-2 years and frame bearings in 2-3 years (people who ride hard and wash their bike a lot even quicker)

Theoretically to go "more enduro" you would also need to upgrade to wider 30mm wheels and Maxxis 2.5/2.6 tires (since 19mm inner width rims are hardly suited for >2.2 tires), a 160mm fork (which slackens the headache to 66°) and a 1x drivetrain (you'll loose the chain a lot on that 2x10)

I remember in 2014 I considered the red Trance 3 myself but eventually went for the 2015 Trance SX since it already comes with more enduro like components like 160-140 fork and wider bars, the only component I immediately upgraded was bigger 200mm/180mm discs and a longer dropper post (first 150mm and later 175mm once they got available)

This year I switched to wider wheels to suit 2.6 tires and went from 1x11 to 1x12 since the drivetrain was worn anyway

btw there's a Giant sub forum here with its own Trance thread and thousands of posts, I don't know why most newbies struggle finding that and instead post in this pointless 27.5 forum

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks Steel for detailed information.

At least now I know that I dont have to buy reign for enduro bike.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    By the way, if you change the the disc, does it mean you will change hubs or something too?

mtbr member
    I see you found the Trance thread but why don't you read some of the 3000 posts in there before posting questions? Scroll back to fall 2013 onwards since that was the first season of the 27.5 Trance, many people posted their "enduro" setups in great detail!

If you're in a hurry search the thread for "Pike" or "handlebar" since swapping out fork and adjusting the cockpit is the first things done

mtbr member
    You can search even faster on google, just add mtbr with your search and BOOM! you will find threads on what you need.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    Thanks Steel for detailed information.

At least now I know that I dont have to buy reign for enduro bike.

I see you keep mentioning the word 'Enduro'. How do you exactly define 'enduro'?

Sent from my E6533 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Calf View Post
    The Trance is plenty capable and was ridden in the EWS 2014 with 160mm forks before the Reign eventually got available the next year, I ride the 2015 Trance SX myself on more gnarly trails where people usually show up with real enduro and DH bikes

The only three upgrades I'd strongly recommend is a shorter 50mm stem/wider 780mm bar, a bigger 200mm disc front (use the existing 180 disc in the rear) and a 150 or 175mm dropper post depending on what fits with your body / frame size combo since the ability to quickly lower your center of gravity is most essential these days

On a new bike taking all bearings apart and greasing them is highly recommended, otherwise your chances are good that headset and bottom bracket will be shot within 1-2 years and frame bearings in 2-3 years (people who ride hard and wash their bike a lot even quicker)

Theoretically to go "more enduro" you would also need to upgrade to wider 30mm wheels and Maxxis 2.5/2.6 tires (since 19mm inner width rims are hardly suited for >2.2 tires), a 160mm fork (which slackens the headache to 66°) and a 1x drivetrain (you'll loose the chain a lot on that 2x10)

I remember in 2014 I considered the red Trance 3 myself but eventually went for the 2015 Trance SX since it already comes with more enduro like components like 160-140 fork and wider bars, the only component I immediately upgraded was bigger 200mm/180mm discs and a longer dropper post (first 150mm and later 175mm once they got available)

This year I switched to wider wheels to suit 2.6 tires and went from 1x11 to 1x12 since the drivetrain was worn anyway

btw there's a Giant sub forum here with its own Trance thread and thousands of posts, I don't know why most newbies struggle finding that and instead post in this pointless 27.5 forum
    Nice looking Trance you got there. What size rear tire is it?

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Did you change your hubs as well when upgrading to 2.6 tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by asinchaos View Post
    I see you keep mentioning the word 'Enduro'. How do you exactly define 'enduro'?

There are various bike category

XC, Trail, all mountain, enduro, downhill...

Trance is a natural TRAIL bike... So going enduro like bike need some changes on bike components here and there. From 140mm fork to 160mm for example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    Did you change your hubs as well when upgrading to 2.6 tires?

ah goddamn it...

This year I switched to wider wheels to suit 2.6 tires
    wheels = the combination of hubs, rims, spockes. "New wheels" implies new hubs, "new rims" usually implies they were just laced on existing hub

"switched to wider wheels" = I removed the old wheels from the bike and installed a new wheelset which is wider

2.6 tires = tires which are 2.6" wide

what tires, what rims exactly??
    It's all written in great detail in the official Trance thread...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Steel Calf, what is the avg psi for rear sus and fork. Im approximately 75 to 80 kilos

mtbr member
    100psi fork, 200psi shock, 78kg naked. However these values are of no use for you since I ride a different fork and shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Option A:

start with a beefier fork with 34mm stanchions + (35/36mm is ideal)
    -fox 34/36
    -Marzocchi 350NCR/CR
    -RS lyrik/yari/pike/New Revalation "RC",
    -Manitou Mattoc
    -Suntour Auron RC
    -DVO Diamond
    -ETC

shorter stem 40-60mm
    wider bars 750mm +

build a strong wheelset using:
    -dt swiss ex511/xm481 ,
    -wtb i29/i35 (frequency / asym)
    -stan flows mk3
    -any rim that has a i29mm+ internal width
    -ETC

i highly suggest using a hub that can be converted to XD such as Hope pro 4 / DT Swiss 350 etc

last but not least
    swap your brake pads for Shimano E01S (sintered pads)
    you'll need new rotors too, shimano RT66 is a good budget choice

Option B:

ride your bike and find you limit (stock trance is a pretty capable bike)

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    and shoes
    dont forget to tell him about the shoes
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Since this is your first FS bike, I say just ride it as is. The regular trance is still a capable bike, and if you're coming from a HT will be incredible with the amount of speed and traction a properly dialed in rear shock offers.

Unless you're racing, I don't think there's a big necessity to spend a bunch of money right away on new fork, wheels, etc. It's a good bike, ride it and have fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluidworks View Post
    I don't think there's a big necessity to spend a bunch of money right away on new fork, wheels, etc. It's a good bike, ride it and have fun.
    I fully agree. Why buy a new bike just to swap everything out right away, gain some riding experience first before making any hasty decisions

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Since this is your first FS bike, I say just ride it as is. The regular trance is still a capable bike, and if you're coming from a HT will be incredible with the amount of speed and traction a properly dialed in rear shock offers.

Unless you're racing, I don't think there's a big necessity to spend a bunch of money right away on new fork, wheels, etc. It's a good bike, ride it and have fun.

Thanks. I will use this bike like there's no tomorrow. hehe

That's what I need to learn. To tune my bike here and there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I fully agree. Why buy a new bike just to swap everything out right away, gain some riding experience first before making any hasty decisions
    Thank you Steel Calf... I appreciate your response to my queries.

Keep on Rockin...

This^

Something tells me you are not going to out ride this bike any time soon.

As we use to say, before the advent of multiple mtb disciplines...

"Run what ya brung." Ride it with pride.