mtbr member
    Sep 2012

My delema on carbon wheels

So I have a Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, already put my old carbon bars and seat post on it. Has a decent set of Alum factory wheels (1650g). So here is where I am torn...

Since I race for the local shop I can get the factory Giant carbon wheels (don't know who makes the rim, the spokes and hub are DT Swiss) for around $1600 with my team discount.

I have been looking into the Industry Nine carbon wheel (Reynolds carbon rim), Reynolds carbon wheels or just buying the rim (Reynolds, Enve, or DT Swiss) and building up a set.

Seems most of the sets are going to be in the 1375-1450g range with DT Swiss 240 hubs, Aerolite spokes and nipples. Bad though is they are all going to be in the $2200+ range with no discount.

Any other options out there or should I just use the discount and rock the Giant wheels, more so since I will be racing on them and if I run into any issues I can get the shop to warranty them.

Opinions...??? (Also to put this out there I am not really interested in the off brand carbon rims. Really don't want to take a chance on them and be left walking back in from a long race or worse yet getting hurt if one of them has a catastrophic failure while on a race).
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    I'd say go for the Giant set. I have a set of Roval carbons on my 29er and a set of ENVEs on my Bronson and I've been very happy with both. As for quality, Giant may not make the sexiest stuff out there but their upper end stuff is pretty dam good.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member

Re: My delema on carbon wheels

40mm Derby carbon rims with Hadley hubs.
    And this is from someone who owns Enve AM...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    40mm Derby rim is way to wide for my needs, much less you cant get them right now with no ETA on production. If I was to do a built with those rims and hubs they would weigh more than my stock wheelset weighs now. I don't see the desire for the Hadley hubs, DT Swiss hubs are lighter and cost around the same amount.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Giant carbon wheels. spoke to the shop mgr yesterday and he ordered them for me without saying anything as a surprise (plus they are only coming into the warehouse in a very limited quantity). Came in this morning to have him order them and I would pick them up in a couple of weeks and he grinned and said he knew I would come back for them and had already ordered them for me.

Got to love a ship that knows how you roll..lol

mtbr member
    Good choice, a enve setup might be a little better here or there but is it going to be $900 better, probably not. You've got a great hub set and Giant has some of the best carbon tech in the business, have fun!

banned
    Oct 2004
    Crazy suggestion...not related to your race day wheels:

Get your mitts on a set of those no-name cf rims and lace them up for your training wheels.

FYI, Light-Bicycle, Nextie-Bike, and Specialized source them out of the same factory...

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I may look into that down the road, the bad is I don't build anything half ass and would be tempted to use DT Swiss 240 hubs which will drive the price up for a trial build.

mtbr member
    Um my Derbys with I9 hubs weigh 1550 grams. Just want to set the record straight. Carbon rims have become a commodity. Choose the rim profile you like from whatever vendor and go pick up some hubs.

banned
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I may look into that down the road, the bad is I don't build anything half ass and would be tempted to use DT Swiss 240 hubs which will drive the price up for a trial build.
    I understand the thinking.
    I use Kings on mine and they're pushing ~$900 when all said/done. Yeah, cf wheels are friggin' pricey! But, if you've spent any time on them, it's tough going back!

The other thought is Hadleys. Not nearly as spendy as 240s or Kings, and I'd run w/o any hesitation...way better bang:bucks than the Kings...hell they come w/ a Ti drive shell!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    Um my Derbys with I9 hubs weigh 1550 grams. Just want to set the record straight. Carbon rims have become a commodity. Choose the rim profile you like from whatever vendor and go pick up some hubs.
    So basically your Derby wheels weigh as much as my stock Giant wheels, what is the benefit again?

I am not after rim profile, I live in OK and for the most part our riding is dirt trails with roots and some trails with a lot of rocks. I am after light as possible and stiff and something that wont need to be trued after every ride.

With that even if I did down the road find some Derby rims it would be 240 hubs and DT Swiss Aerolite spokes and would have to come in around 1400g's to be worth it for me. With the Derby rims weighing in at 440g I don't think that is going to happen. The DT Swiss hubs weigh in at 410g, so that puts me at 1290g before spokes and nipples. So the Derby option is not going to happen for me.

mtbr member
    You stated that Derbys would weigh more than your stock wheels which was not correct hence my post. Btw the rim profile has the biggest effect on flat or off camber corners so it would make a bigger difference for you than most others. None of this matters since you ordered the Giant wheels so enjoy!

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

banned
    Oct 2004
    So basically your Derby wheels weigh as much as my stock Giant wheels, what is the benefit again?
    TJ,
    Going plastic-fantastic for rims isn't an exercise in gram counting...as is going to it for frame. The weight reduction is there, but not as much as you think. The biggest bang you'll feel is in (the stiffness of) the ride. At an identical weight (let's say an even 400g) and lacing (std 3x), a set of plastic hoops are going to outshine a similar alloy hoop in a ride SO stiff and track so well, you'd swear they're alloy rims w/ 100g+ more mass. And, they'll really highlight just how crappy some suspension elements are!

Anyway, enjoy your new wheels...you do realize you'll have tasted the koolaide, and going back will NOT be a future option, yeah?

Oh, BTW, did Giant make their own tooling/mold? And, if their rim fail catastrophically on trail, it won't prevent the necessity of dental surgery either.

mtbr member
    Umm, to set the record straight I'm pretty sure TJay74 said your setup weighed as much as, not more than his stock Giant wheels...just sayin.

You stated that Derbys would weigh more than your stock wheels which was not correct hence my post. Btw the rim profile has the biggest effect on flat or off camber corners so it would make a bigger difference for you than most others. None of this matters since you ordered the Giant wheels so enjoy!

mtbr member
    Read post 5 where he says that a Derby setup would weigh more.

mtbr member
    I think you mean post #4 but I get your point.
    Read post 5 where he says that a Derby setup would weigh more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    The Giant carbon wheels are pretty awesome. Definitely not a sub par house brand product. A very nice and cost effective upgrade is the 36 POE star ratchet upgrade.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah I am looking at the ratchet upgrade right now. My plan is to order 2 sets, one for the new wheels and one for the old wheels. Old wheels are going on the wifes Giant Lust Advance, figure she will love the almost 1.5# drop in reciprocating weight and the better engagement over her current P-CRX2 wheels.

Also going to put a new cassette on the wheel as well, prob going to try out the XTR cassette. With the wheels, cassette and ratchet looks like I will be dropping right at 400g from the bike weight and directly from the wheels which will help with spin up during this new season.

mtbr member

Also going to put a new cassette on the wheel as well, prob going to try out the XTR cassette. With the wheels, cassette and ratchet looks like I will be dropping right at 400g from the bike weight and directly from the wheels which will help with spin up during this new season.
    I'd say you made the right choice going with the Giant wheels based on the options you mentioned. Also, I've gone from an XT cassette to an XTR and it made a nice difference in weight/shifting performance. Have done the XTR cassette upgrade on a 9 speed and 10 speed setup and both times the shifting seemed better overall. Let us know how the carbon wheels are!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I would have thought the entire drivetrain would have been XT, but the cassette is SLX and comes in at 360ish grams. I can go XTR for 255g, XT for 265g or SRAM XX (1099) for 185g or SRAM 1080 FOR 240g.

Going to have the shop run prices for me and go from there.

mtbr member
    I'll second the Hadley hubs. Yes they may be slightly heavier than DT Swiss, but the design and execution is excellent. Bomb-proof, easily upgraded to different axle standards, strong 72pt engagement, Ti carrier, and beautifully finished. I think they're highly underrated compared to all the attention Hope, DT Swiss, and Chris King get.