mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. My 27.5/650b dilemma... Opinions welcomed...

Hello everyone.

I've been wanting to get a 27.5 for a while now and I'm finally at the point of actually completing and following through with a plan. I've come up with some options and I'm just having a hard time figuring out which to choose. So, I thought I would share.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- I currently have a Sette Reken that has been doing neighborhood riding duty for the last year. I could buy a fork and wheelset and turn it into a 27.5. I think this option could be done for $700-900, depending on what options I choose. I would retain the Deore drivetrain and existing components in this case, at least to start. Going with this option relegates me to getting a fork with a straight steer tube which seems to be a dying breed. This concerns me in respect to possible future builds with the components.

- Purchase a Nashbar Bee's Knees 2x10.
    Nashbar Bee's Knees 2x10 650B/27.5" Mountain Bike - Overweight Code H Restricted
    I like the build spec on this bike and if I wait until a 20% off sale then the total price would be less than $1100. The SRAM X9 component set, Rockshox Revalations fork, and somewhat decent wheelset seem to make this one of the best deals I can find. I would purchase this bike with the future goal of purchasing a steel frame (preferably Reynolds) and switching most of the components over to it. The drawback to this deal in my eyes is a somewhat 'dated' frame geometry and slightly shorter ETT length than I am looking for.

- Purchase a Kona Explosif. This bike would be at the top of my price range, but has almost all the features I want, including sliding dropouts. The component set seems solid.

- Purchase a Soma B-Side frame and do a build. I would probably use the Sette Reken drivetrain and Avis Elixir 3 brakes as a cost savings measure, to start. That would leave me buying fork, wheelset, headset, etc...

-Purchase a Raleigh Tokul 4130.
    Raleigh Bicycles - Tokul 4130
    I like the build of this bike, but it does not have sliding dropouts and it uses a straight steer tube. The dropouts are the harder thing for me to accept.

So, that's where I'm currently at. I want a new bike. I would like that bike to be able to pull double duty as geared and single speed. I currently ride mainly single speed (rigid 853 steel frame), but I want to move toward retiring my current SS. I absolutely love the frame and how it rides, but it's not disc compatible and I find myself wishing for a little more room on it.

I'm about 6'2" and 210ish pounds with full gear and hydro pack on. I ride mainly XC type singletrack, but want something that can occasionally handle a little more. No big air or huge drops.

Opinions welcomed!

Thanks in advance for reading-

J.

mtbr member
    I vote to get a bike or frame from your LBS. So that rules out the Nashbar bike.

I have a Explosif and love that frame. Yea, it's a Reynolds. Bought that frame 10 years ago when I was still running V-Brakes. So it had the post for that and also the mounts for disc brakes for when I was ready to make that move. Also with the horizontal dropouts gives you the option for the SS. I've used that bike in about every combo possible (SS, 3x9, 1x9, Rigid, front Suspension). Point is that's a great bike with a lot of potential. At least I know the 2004 model was.

That's just my $0.02.
    ˇuʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ˇˇˇpəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Yeah, got to be the Soma or the Kona. If you have a Kona dealer nearby that you get along with, that. Any shop with a Merry Sales acct. can order you a Soma frame, or you can order direct from them. The Kona would be a beefier trail bike, the Soma, more cross-country...

mtbr member
    I looked real hard at the Explosif and Soma B Side.... the Explosif isn't yet available as frame only (according to LBS), so I ordered a B Side. Should have it together in a month or so... I liked the Soma sizing, the 16.5" has perfect geo for me, a tad higher BB then the Explosif and the Soma 16.5 has a bit more reach then the Kona 17.

jrm
    mtbr member
    You might also consider the on-one 45650b. Looks "right up your alley"

45650b | Brant Blog | News | On-One Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb View Post
    I vote to get a bike or frame from your LBS. So that rules out the Nashbar bike.

I have a Explosif and love that frame. Yea, it's a Reynolds. Bought that frame 10 years ago when I was still running V-Brakes. So it had the post for that and also the mounts for disc brakes for when I was ready to make that move. Also with the horizontal dropouts gives you the option for the SS. I've used that bike in about every combo possible (SS, 3x9, 1x9, Rigid, front Suspension). Point is that's a great bike with a lot of potential. At least I know the 2004 model was.

That's just my $0.02.
    Hey. I appreciate your $0.02... I've not had a lot of luck dealing directly with LBSs, I think mainly because I can get so much more product for my money on-line. I have a local Trek shop that I go to to do repairs that are out of my league, but other than paying for repairs and the occasional small item I have yet to make a big purchase from a LBS. I did buy my cross bike from Performance (about 90 miles away from me) but they don't really have anything in their 27.5 line-up that lines up with my wants/needs. I ordered my Sette Reken through PricePoint and was very pleased. I got a full Deore equiped bike for less than the LBS offerings which were all Acera or Alivio. I also like to do my own maintainance which I think has a bearing on success in purchasing on-line.

The Kona Frame does get good reviews. If I bought the Nashbar bike the Kona or Soma frames would ultimately get mated with all the parts...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveF View Post
    Yeah, got to be the Soma or the Kona. If you have a Kona dealer nearby that you get along with, that. Any shop with a Merry Sales acct. can order you a Soma frame, or you can order direct from them. The Kona would be a beefier trail bike, the Soma, more cross-country...
    Hi there. Unfortunately, no Kona dealers are super close to me. Orlando (50+ miles) would be the closest. If I decide on the Kona complete build or frame, then I will need to address where I'll have to go to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lamey View Post
    I looked real hard at the Explosif and Soma B Side.... the Explosif isn't yet available as frame only (according to LBS), so I ordered a B Side. Should have it together in a month or so... I liked the Soma sizing, the 16.5" has perfect geo for me, a tad higher BB then the Explosif and the Soma 16.5 has a bit more reach then the Kona 17.
    Hey. Did you order the ver. 3.0 B-side? That is a sweet looking frame. It would be what I lean toward if I choose to do a straight build. I'm a little concerned about the sizing, though. I like the ETT length of the XL (24.56 w/ 120mm fork) a lot, but I feel I may fall in-between the standover sizes of the Large and XLarge frames. My standover is just over 33" (as best as I can remember) which puts me just clearing the XL. I just don't want to be clumsy or awkward on the bike.

Any thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by jrm View Post
    You might also consider the on-one 45650b. Looks "right up your alley"

45650b | Brant Blog | News | On-One Bikes
    Hey, thank you for the input. I actually looked at that frame, but marked it off my list due to the vertical drop-outs. If it had sliders then it would be a real contender in my eyes. A non-replaceable hanger also somewhat scares me...

Thanks again everyone!

mtbr member
    I understand about the deals you can get on-line vs local. I was that way for a while. I will admit I will still buy a thing or two online but I try to make my big purchases (new bike) from the LBS mainly for the local support. I am lucky enough to have a good relation ship with the LBS owners and they usually give me pretty good deals. I might pay a bit more but the $$$ stays in the community.
    But buy what fits your needs best. Then go out and ride and enjoy it! Your not going to go wrong ad long as your riding
    ˇuʍop əpıs ɹəqqnɹ əɥʇ dəəʞ ɹəqɯəɯəɹ ˇˇˇpəɥsɐɹɔ əʌɐɥ ʇɥƃıɯ noʎ sıɥʇ pɐəɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wvmtb View Post
    I understand about the deals you can get on-line vs local. I was that way for a while. I will admit I will still buy a thing or two online but I try to make my big purchases (new bike) from the LBS mainly for the local support. I am lucky enough to have a good relation ship with the LBS owners and they usually give me pretty good deals. I might pay a bit more but the $$$ stays in the community.
    But buy what fits your needs best. Then go out and ride and enjoy it! Your not going to go wrong ad long as your riding
    +1. Thank you for the kind words.

I actually tried to buy my cross bike local. A new Giant. But the worker stated they would not be able to get one for at least 3 months and then that was not a guarantee. I wanted a bike sooner than three months so I went to Performance and bought a Fuji instead. Other than that it's floor pumps, tools, tubes, etc...

Thanks-

mtbr member
    I would put more emphasis on "reach" then standover. That's why liked the B side so much, it had real good reach for its size. The frame is amazingly well made for the money, yes its the "new" one with the 44mm headtube, curved downtube... the "orange" one. I could have saved about $20 going straight through Soma, but my LBS is helpful and I like to give them as much business as I can while still being "frugal".

To your question, as long as you have any standover clearance at all then I wouldn't worry about the bike feeling clumsy.

mtbr member
    I'd buy the Kona complete and consider selling your old ride to help pay for it. You always get a better deal buying a complete bike and shops are typically willing to deal on a complete bike as apposed to parts. It makes for a lot less wrenching too.
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Done!... Actually, just beginning...

Quote Originally Posted by phattruth View Post
    I'd buy the Kona complete and consider selling your old ride to help pay for it. You always get a better deal buying a complete bike and shops are typically willing to deal on a complete bike as apposed to parts. It makes for a lot less wrenching too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamey View Post
    I would put more emphasis on "reach" then standover. That's why liked the B side so much, it had real good reach for its size. The frame is amazingly well made for the money, yes its the "new" one with the 44mm headtube, curved downtube... the "orange" one. I could have saved about $20 going straight through Soma, but my LBS is helpful and I like to give them as much business as I can while still being "frugal".

To your question, as long as you have any standover clearance at all then I wouldn't worry about the bike feeling clumsy.

Thank you both. I decided against the Kona build and went with the Soma B-Side. I felt the tubset on the Soma is a little nicer. I also think I will prefer staying with a 135mm rear. So, I placed the order last night and hope to have the frame by this weekend, possibly. I'm very excited!

Not sure what to think as far as 'next steps' are concerned. I keep looking at the Nashbar 2x10 and thinking of doing a full parts swap. I would only need to get a different headset, seatpost, and a clamp adaptor for the fr. derailleur. The Revelation fork that comes in that build would be a wishlist item for me if I'm buying everything seperately. The drivetrain is very good and would cost about $500+ itself. I know the Alex wheelset has very decent rims but they are mated to heavy spokes and probably a Formula hub. Still though, that would put my riding the my B-Side for about $1600 and room to make improvements later...

So, I need to really think about where to go from here. I do not want to make a bunch of compromises leaving me unhappy in any way with the finished product.

Does anyone know of any good fork deals ($400 or less) out there? I've never had a 'nice' fork. My Sette came with a Dart 3 which was nice enough to get me started in mountain biking, but I've never had an air fork. I'd like 100-120mm. I need it to be user friendly.

If I go with an actual build then Shimano XT (possibly SLX) will be the drivetrain. I've got a few different wheelsets I'm considering, but does anyone have any recommendations? Wheelset would need to be definitely at or below the $500 mark. I was looking at a Stans set, American Classics set, a Mavic, or possibly even attempting a budget custom build, which is doable in that range...

Thanks again. Everyone's input helped me come to a decision-

J.