mtbr member
    Nov 2017

Moving up to a full sus, but which one?

Hey all, I am looking to pick up my first full suspension bike. I currently ride a 2018 Giant Fathom 27.5 in a medium and I love it. However, in northern New Jersey, where I live, the trails can vary from fast and flowy to super rocky, rooty and downright technical.

So, I have a few bikes in mind and would love to get some feedback on them.

1: YT Jeffsey AL 1
    Its a sweet bike, great price at $2200 and nice components

2: Diamondback Mission 2 2017
    Found a closeout deal on jensonusa for $1899, not sure about the bike and my riding style, but great price.

3: YT Capra AL
    Another sweet bike, lots of travel, great price at $1949.

4: Fezzari Abajo Peak 27.5+
    Never had a plus size, nor have I heard of Fezzari. But at $1999, its worth a consideration.

5: Giant Trance 2/ Anthem 2:
    I have a local Giant dealer that extends a military discount my way which is awesome and I love my current Giant, so I am considering what they have to offer.

Like I said before, I would love some feedback on these bikes and my upgrade/ purchase. I'm pretty interested in these direct to consumer brands, it's a neat business model, but it takes business from the local guys which also makes me feel conflicted. But I am open to all options!

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    I have 2 friends riding the jeffsy and another on the capra - both bikes can climb!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I was curious to the climbing ability on the Jeffsey and Capra. The Capra is the one I am leaning towards, not sure why, but those YT's are so pretty!

mtbr member
    I have tested the Giant Trance, a Giant Reign, a Salsa Redpoint, a Santa Cruz Bronson, and several Pivots. Of those I thought the Trance was the best all around trail bike, and the Redpoint second and Bronson a close third. I didn't get a chance to ride a Jeffsy, but both spec and review wise, it looks impressive.

If you are seriously considering a plus bike, you should check out the Cannondale Bad Habit 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Moving up to a full sus, but which one?

Quote Originally Posted by bernard1414 View Post
    I was curious to the climbing ability on the Jeffsey and Capra. The Capra is the one I am leaning towards, not sure why, but those YT's are so pretty!
    I guess the more aggressive (read: longer travel) geometry over the jeffy makes it looks more slick.
    On the other hand, do take note that the jeffsy is able to fit small bottles and does come with bottle cage mount, while the capra does not.

Quote Originally Posted by armii View Post
    If you are seriously considering a plus bike, you should check out the Cannondale Bad Habit 2
    Agreed! I'm on the (non-plus) habit, loving how it feels. Personally, I do not see the need (yet) to go for more travel at my local trails, and am enjoying my bike even though it's not a plus bike.
    The guys over at the Cannondale sub-forum did mention that the habit is abit to squeeze in 2.6" tires if need be, so I'm not worried about that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I love my Santa Cruz 5010C. Good climbing bike. The only thing I would change is going to a 1X11.

mtbr member
    Dont look at the mission. Check out the new release instead. It can be had for about the same price, and its a flat out better bike. By a lot.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Ill have a look at the release, thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Kona Hei Hei trail 27.5 Carbon 140mm/140mm with bias towards efficient pedaling. 68 degree head angle coupled with steep seat tube angle makes for a fun single tracker and nice on short steep climbs. Boost spacing and room for 2.6 tires.

I am in upstate NY with lots of grinding pedaling primitive singletrack and short/steep climbs. This bike is pretty fun here and great jack of all trades. There is Dirt Rag review of it that is spot on.

Being jack of all trades though makes me sometimes wish for more plushness/slack and sometimes wish for an XC.

Keep on Rockin...
    OP...

Giant Trance 2 would be my vote.

The Jeffsey in a 29 would be my second vote.

The Capra is overkill.

Today's 275 trail bike with 130 to 150mm of travel is incredibly capable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    OP...

Giant Trance 2 would be my vote.

The Jeffsey in a 29 would be my second vote.

The Capra is overkill.

Today's 275 trail bike with 130 to 150mm of travel is incredibly capable.
    Notes taken. Trance 2 vs Jeffsey is what I am looking at now. I have to do some more research into these bikes and see what are the pros and cons from those two..

mtbr member
    I live in the Northern NJ area, and have riden both the Trance and the Anthem. Settled on the Anthem SX(2017). I ride mostly Ramapo/Ringwood(80% of the time) with the ocasional trip down to Allaire or six mile. The Anthem works great on all fronts. Never rode a Jeffsey, but it does get great reviews and the closeout prices on the 2017 are great, I do think the Capra would be overkill unless you plan on riding Creek or Jungle Habitat frequently. .In regard to the YT, or.any other direct to consumer brand, I would just hesitate to buy a bike I haven't riding. Strongly recomend "try before you buy", cant predict how a bike will ride to you by listening to a bunch of idiots( myself included ) in a forum or on Youtube. Best advice anyone can give.

5'6" / 155 lbs. / 29.75" inseam. I ride a small
    Last edited by Ride1424; 12-19-2017 at 10:23 PM.
    "In dog beers......... I only had one"

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    So Trance 2 is very high on my list, I like the slack-ness of it, similar to my Giant Fathom HA at 67.0. The two other buggers on my mind are the YT Jeffsey AL one and the Fezzari cascade peak. The YT just looks super sexy and has some serious components, buy no try before you buy. The fezzari is meh, maybe the Abajo peak is better value for my money, not sure. However, they offer a 30-day send back option. Nonetheless, I can have any 2018 Giant model at 20% off. Tough decisions right now.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    You might also check out intense. There have been some great sales lately. I got a spider 275c and love it. I've seen full carbon foundation builds for just over $2k

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I have tested the Giant Trance, a Giant Reign, a Salsa Redpoint, a Santa Cruz Bronson, and several Pivots. Of those I thought the Trance was the best all around trail bike, and the Redpoint second and Bronson a close third. I didn't get a chance to ride a Jeffsy, but both spec and review wise, it looks impressive.

Have you tested the 2nd place trail bike of the year, Scott Spark 730?

https://youtu.be/eL421GVwU7w

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Have you considered a trek. I have just bought a trek fuel ex 7 and the bike is amazing !!!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    Have you tested the 2nd place trail bike of the year, Scott Spark 730?

https://youtu.be/eL421GVwU7w
    That's a very different package than the Spark 730 sold in the U.S. which comes with rockshox recon and a 2x drivetrain. I personally wasn't a fan. Maybe it was the cheaper Rockshox but there was a lot of pedal bob and the bike weighs 32.6 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow4eva View Post
    I have 2 friends riding the jeffsy and another on the capra - both bikes can climb!

I haven't ridden the Jeffsy, but I don't think it's a great climber without lockout (which the low end AL models don't have). This validated if you ask the YT reps and if you review the kinematics anti-squat characteristics. The higher end models come with lockout which should be fine.

I would assume that the DB Release and Giant Trance are better climbers. I've test rode the Trance 2 and various Santa Cruz bikes with VPP which is what the DB Release copies and they are good climbers.

Climbing is not the only criteria of course. But if it's near the top of your list you might need to get higher end models of YT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    That's a very different package than the Spark 730 sold in the U.S. which comes with rockshox recon and a 2x drivetrain. I personally wasn't a fan. Maybe it was the cheaper Rockshox but there was a lot of pedal bob and the bike weighs 32.6 lbs.
    We were thinking of the 2018 which doesnít have a carbon frame. And also has the RockShox recon vs the Fox air. Also the 2018 730 is now in plus size and is not comparable. The 2017 version is 27 pounds. Which is pretty damn good. You will absolutely rip the legs off anyone else youíre riding with. Iíve experienced this myself. I smoked a Yeti and Evil bikes up hill and was so fast uphill I even bet them to the bottom too, thatís quite a feat considering the other box cost 9 to 10 grand and mine only cost 4 grand.

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-sp...-bike-EV286118

here is the 2017 Which is not a plus size bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    When you say climbing, do you mean technical rocky, rooty, ledge climbing, or fire road, smooth single track long gradual climbs?

mtbr member
    Giant Reign, end of story

Sent from my kltedv using Tapatalk
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Northern Jersey/lower NY state = rocky, rooty, and generally techy climb's and trails. Not much of anything smooth around (tubeless is almost mandatory). My shock is pretty much left open 95% of the time, so if a bike does not pedal well (shock tune/suspension design) you will be misserable navigating through all the chunk.
    Reference Seths NJ video

https://youtu.be/pHdgVBinW2s

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Such great input from everyone. I really appreciate all of it. Right now I am 85% leaning towards the Trance 2. The 15% is maybe an Anthem 2 or a Reign 2. My LBS Giant dealer is really hooking me up with 2018 bikes, and the relationship i have with them is what is keeping me wanting a Giant. I would like to explore other brands, but not sure how to at the moment.

Commencal make some damn sweet bikes too....... UGH!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ashwinearl View Post
    When you say climbing, do you mean technical rocky, rooty, ledge climbing, or fire road, smooth single track long gradual climbs?
    Rocky and rooty, And on fire roads. These were very steep climbs. The climbs like a bat out of hell. For the 9K bikes were talking shit before hand. They were talking any shit after.😁

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ride1424 View Post
    Northern Jersey/lower NY state = rocky, rooty, and generally techy climb's and trails. Not much of anything smooth around (tubeless is almost mandatory). My shock is pretty much left open 95% of the time, so if a bike does not pedal well (shock tune/suspension design) you will be misserable navigating through all the chunk.
    Reference Seths NJ video

https://youtu.be/pHdgVBinW2s
    That trail system looked like a blast.

If the trails are like that, I'd personally run a plus size tire like a 27.5x2.80 and still be able to run a 29er if needed.
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    After watching the trail vid, I would love to take my bike there, but I have 150/160mm suspension.

Around the price you listed, I would want either a Trance 3 140/150mm suspension or a Bad Habit 4 120mm with plus tire, minimum for that type of terrain. Both are a little over the price point you listed for the Jeffsy.
    If climbing is a serious consideration, I would stick to bikes with multi-pivot point suspension, used by Giant, Pivot, Evil, Santa Cruz, Salsa and a few others. The VPP reduces pedal bob.

mtbr member
    I got a 2017 leftover Trek Fuel EX-8 27.5 plus for $2700 and absolutely love it. Store near me still has a few in stock if interested. Great for going up and going down. Awesome suspension. Wheel and Heel in Wappingers Falls NY. Probably not that far from you. Ringwood was about an hour or so from me when I went to the festival there a few months ago.

mtbr member
    Demo the Anthem and the Trance from you local shop. If you are interested in a 29er, try a Tallboy or a Fuel ex. Ridgewood Cycle sells both Trek and SC, give them call and see if you can arrange a demo. Just ride and decide. If your local shop does not provide demo's (for Giant), give Crankworks in Nyack a call. They are pretty good at providing demo's upon request.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I would stick to bikes with multi-pivot point suspension, used by Giant, Pivot, Evil, Santa Cruz, Salsa and a few others. The VPP reduces pedal bob.
    Since when are Evil bikes multipivot bikes? Unless they made some drastic changes for 2018 all of their bikes are single pivot.

On topic

You cant really go wrong with Giant Trance. You can build it light and make it a fun trail bike, or you can build it heavy and make yourself an enduro weapon.

Plus in case of any warranty issues, you can just take to the shop and they will take care of it, where dealing with some of these direct sale brands can be time consuming.

No good in rock gardens..
    If you're into rocky and chunky and rooty stuff, pay attention also to bottom bracket height on the bikes - lower BB = more potential for pedal strikes and that is a real PITA on these "long and low" bikes.
    Less isn't MOAR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3names View Post
    Since when are Evil bikes multipivot bikes? Unless they made some drastic changes for 2018 all of their bikes are single pivot.

On topic

You cant really go wrong with Giant Trance. You can build it light and make it a fun trail bike, or you can build it heavy and make yourself an enduro weapon.

Plus in case of any warranty issues, you can just take to the shop and they will take care of it, where dealing with some of these direct sale brands can be time consuming.
    I guess technically it is not, the Evil's Delta system (designed by Dave Weagle, same person who designed the DW-Link) is and has always been a 4 bar suspension system, just like the VPP, Maestro, and DW-link, just with only one of the 4 bar pivots on the swingarm instead of two. Being 4 bar, it is not a standard single pivot point suspension either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I will just post some quotes

Despite a somewhat complex appearance, DELTA is a true single-pivot suspension platform.
    Coupled with their 150mm linkage driven single-pivot, the Delta System suspension design results in a consistent feel over steep, rugged or jumpy trails

The DELTA suspension design is Dave Weagle's take on a link-driven single pivot.
    I understand where you are coming from, but in MTB the main point of 4 bar suspensions is to control axle path, anti rise, brake squat. With Evil single pivot suspension the linkages are there only to manipulate shock rate throughout the travel.

Pedaling efficiency in a single pivot suspension(such as Evil) is determined by the position of the main pivot.

And Evil suspension in not in the same league as DW, VPP, Maestro, FSR.

Its a single pivot.
    Last edited by 3names; 12-24-2017 at 07:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 3names View Post
    I will just post some quotes

I understand where you are coming from, but in MTB the main point of 4 bar suspensions is to control axle path, anti rise, brake squat. With Evil single pivot suspension the linkages are there only to manipulate shock rate throughout the travel.

Pedaling efficiency in a single pivot suspension(such as Evil) is determined by the position of the main pivot.

And Evil suspension in not in the same league as DW, VPP, Maestro, FSR.

Its a single pivot.
    I have a true single pivot bike, I have test ridden several DW, VPP and Maestro bikes over the last two years, and I own an new Evil Delta. The Delta may technically be a single pivot, but it reacts much better than a standard single pivot. As far as pedal bob, my evil Insurgent with 150mm rear, with the shock set soft, still climbs almost as well as my 120mm single pivot.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    We were thinking of the 2018 which doesnít have a carbon frame. And also has the RockShox recon vs the Fox air. Also the 2018 730 is now in plus size and is not comparable. The 2017 version is 27 pounds. Which is pretty damn good. You will absolutely rip the legs off anyone else youíre riding with. Iíve experienced this myself. I smoked a Yeti and Evil bikes up hill and was so fast uphill I even bet them to the bottom too, thatís quite a feat considering the other box cost 9 to 10 grand and mine only cost 4 grand.

https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-sp...-bike-EV286118

here is the 2017 Which is not a plus size bike.
    Still slinging the Scot will make a world champion bullshit I see.
    Tallboy 3.1
    OG Ripley v2

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Moving up to a full sus, but which one?-img_3950.jpg

Got the trance 2, and I love it! Still have the YT on my mind...maybe a capra is coming sooner than later to join the trance..

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by bernard1414 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	1177564

Got the trance 2, and I love it! Still have the YT on my mind...maybe a capra is coming sooner than later to join the trance..
    Nice looking bike.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.