mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Motobecane 427HT

I am an entry level rider, looking to get a bike under $500. I like the 27.5 wheel size, and have been looking into the Motobecane 427HT. Do any of you have any experience with it? Or maybe any opinions on it?
    Here is a pic and its specs from bikesdirect.

Frame Custom 6061T6 Aluminum Trail-Tuned POWER STAY frame, gussetted downtube, sculpted rear dropouts with replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses (13 and 15" have one set, other sizes have two sets), Standard rear V mounts
    Fork SUNTOUR 27.5" SUSPENSION FORK, SF13-XCT-MLO-DS
    Crankset SUNTOUR CW13-XCT-T312PB 22T BKx32T BKx42T BKx175MM
    Bottom Bracket SUNTOUR BB10-XCT-SQS-113-CBT CARTRIDGE
    Pedals ATB Beartrap
    Front Derailleur SHIMANO ACERA TOP PULL.
    Rear Derailleur SHIMANO ALIVIO SGSL BLACK
    Shifters Shimano Acera ST-EF51, 24-Speed
    Cassette/Freewheel Cassette 11-32T-8 (24 speeds total)
    Chain KMC Z-72 STEEL GY/BR.
    Hubs Formula DiscSpecific Aluminum (black) Contact Sealed Ball Bearing mechanism
    Spokes 14G STEEL STAINLESS W/BRASS NIPPLE.
    Rims WTB SPEED DISC W120-1896, 650Bx32H ALLOY BLACK
    Tires WTB WOLVERINE W110-0474, 650Bx2.2 BLACK A/V.
    Brakes TEKTRO NOVELA DISC BRAKE.
    Brake Levers Shimano for V
    Headset Cane Creek Internal Sealed caged ball bearing VP A42E 1.125 inch
    Handlebar Skye Comp W:620MMxR:20MMx6 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Stem Skye Comp Threadless Aluminum
    EXT:90MM(13"~17")/110MM(19"~21")x10 DEGREES, ALLOY BLACK
    Tape/Grip WTB Dual Compound
    Saddle WTB Speed V Sport SE with comfort groove
    Seat Post Skye Aluminum Micro-Adjust 400MM, ALLOY BLACK
    Seat Clamp Alloy w/QR
    Sizes as listed
    Colors Black

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I used to have a Motobecane Fly, so I am familiar with the brand. It looks like an okay bike for the price. Just realize that this is not a bike that is worth upgrading. Its more of a "ride it until it breaks and get a new one" bike. Also realize that buying online means that if you have any problems getting warranty support is going to be difficult. You also will get nothing for it if you want to sell it, Motobecanes have NO resale value at all.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for the input. I am aware of the difficulty with online warranty claims, and the resale value of motbecanes. However, the determining factor in my search is my budget, so hopefully this is a good bike for what I can afford. That's all Im hoping for at least.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I had a motobecane 400HT for my first bike. I rode it for several years without any issues. I liked the bike a lot. I did have an advantage as the LBS that sold them included lifetime maintenance so I was able to have it serviced frequently. For a newbie and riding in TX it was a great bike. When I moved to the rockies it wasn't enough bike for the terrain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Well that makes me feel more confident about buying this bike. Thanks.

Newb
    Apr 2012
    I bought a Fantom 29 2 years ago, still going strong. Good bikes for the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    If this is your first Motobecane, a couple things you need to know (I owned three different Motobecanes).

- Bearings are hard to replace, because they are an unorthodox size. Aim to take good care and regrease all the bearings before even assembling the bike since the people who assemble them are VERY light on the amount of grease they use.

- Ditch the saddle. It may feel good, and it is, but I just hate them with a burning passion. No particular reason. If you ever take a picture of this bike with a different saddle than that WTB standard, I will automatically give you +1 rep.

- Their components are more proned to rust than my other bikes, this is the cassette, bolts, and chain, etc. Again, Motobecane is cheap when it comes to grease and weather-proofing.

Other than that, I have no complaints about their frames, the good thing about the 27.5 is that they can't get them from the generic company the get their 26er and 29er wheels from which get frequent flat spots. Since there is finally a brand associated with the rims, you will more than likely have a much more reliable product. They are consistent with strong frames, and surprisingly light material.

mtbr member
    I was actually looking at the 527HT, I would be using it as a second bike and this looks like a cheap way of buying a 27.5. does anyone know the weight of these bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I have a 427HT with over 3000 miles and nothing has failed on but the seat. I did remove the front derailer, the bottome bracket, the front chain rings, and cranks plus both brake levers and front shifter for a E-bike conversion. I have not had any issue with rust on any part of the bike. I ride in rain and puddle swim my bike. I think the frame handles the weight of a 220 pound rider and a e bike mid drive conversion. I have also taken 160 load in a bike trailer to 35 mph and a 230 pound load in a trailer to 20 mph. The top speed I have taken my 427HT is 48 mhp. I do pop spokes but I'm sure it's due to the weight stress I put the wheels. I also jump off everything and ride up steps. Did I mention no one is faster than my beast on mtb or road bikes. I pass everything. I think that says a lot about the frame. Not so much about the seat tho.