mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Most efficient FS 650b pedaler

Hey all,

trying to draw on others' experience/opinions here. After a recent ride on a Mach 5.5 I think I'm hooked on 27.5.

I'm curious to see which FS 650 has the most efficient pedaling platform. I loved the 5.5 but don't want to discount other bikes I haven't ridden or don't know about so...

Pedaling efficiency isn't the most important issue in this choice but is an important one for me.

THX for any input.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    It's hard to beat those link bikes (SC Pivot Giant etc...) for pedaling efficiency. Some of us prefer to ride single pivot and 4-bar bikes because how they pedal in the technical bits. Where I live/ride we have very little help from gravity so we pedal through the rough too. The more brands you ride it's interesting to see what kind of trail each one may shine on.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    It depends on where and how you ride. Different designs have different strengths.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    It depends on where and how you ride. Different designs have different strengths.
    This.

I personally like Yeti's for pedaling efficiency while still maintaining a plush feel.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    THX for the feedback.

I owned an SB95 a few years back and knew the Yeti's are hard to beat - super efficient. I called around yesterday looking for one and none of the dealers had it here in PHX to try out.

I had the itch to buy yesterday and went ahead with the 5.5. Had an inaugural ride last evening and am pretty pleased. Was able to play around with air pressures and dial in and have to say I'm pretty pleased so far.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I love my Pivot Mach 5.5.

Yes it is awesome at climbing, but the capabilities of the DW link go so much further than just climbing or pedaling. Check out my review.

I am having so much fun on my Pivot!

Read my review here:

Pivot Mach 5.5 Review

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    THX for the feedback.

I owned an SB95 a few years back and knew the Yeti's are hard to beat - super efficient. I called around yesterday looking for one and none of the dealers had it here in PHX to try out.

I had the itch to buy yesterday and went ahead with the 5.5. Had an inaugural ride last evening and am pretty pleased. Was able to play around with air pressures and dial in and have to say I'm pretty pleased so far.
    Pivot or Yeti?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    https://youtu.be/eL421GVwU7w

Scott Spark 2017, 2018 not much changed.

"It will rip the legs off anyone you're riding with"

I have found this to be true. Very, very fast bike. Nino worked three years on it with Scott. Nino got it right!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got a Kona Hei Hei Trail 27.5 . They have their Fuse suspension which is similar to the Felt, Orbea which has some suspension flex built into the chain stay. It's taught and climbs well in open position. It is not a rocket but is comfortable and quick.

So far I am very happy with it and prefer to keep in the open mode vs the middle trail mode.
    Last edited by ashwinearl; 10-04-2017 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I rode the Mach 5.5 on a nasty trail in NJ while Pivot was doing a demo day. That was an incredibly efficient climber in the rough wet stuff. It was almost too comfortable, effortless. But I bought a 2017 Giant Anthem. That bike is a very efficient pedaler too but a different kind of bike. More XC with less travel. I have not tried the Trance. Can't go wrong with the 5.5 though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Most efficient FS 650b pedaler-img_3233.jpg  

My other ride
    Most efficient 160mm bike, or 100mm bike?

Pretty big difference between an Orbea Oiz and a Specialized Enduro, both are 650b full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Most efficient 160mm bike, or 100mm bike?

Pretty big difference between an Orbea Oiz and a Specialized Enduro, both are 650b full suspension bikes.
    Scott Spark or Genius makes no difference since they both have lock out on the fly.

It will rip the legs off any other bike.

Ryan

My other ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    Scott Spark or Genius makes no difference since they both have lock out on the fly.

It will rip the legs off any other bike.

Ryan
    Well, there you have it folks. Marketing works!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Well, there you have it folks. Marketing works!
    LOL starting to wonder if he gets paid. No matter what, where or how you ride, a Scott is the bike for you. Everyone else might as well stop making bikes.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    I see you broke down and picked up the new 5.5 and you can't go wrong there. I'm pretty happy with mine so far. Its definitely works for my "sit back and grind it out" climbing style but I'm most impressed when the bike is pointed downhill. Not only does it PLOW through the chunk but it RAILS through sweeping corners as well.

To answer your question though, the Yeti SB5 with the SI suspension was the most efficient pedaling bike I ever owned. I should have kept that one.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    I see you broke down and picked up the new 5.5 and you can't go wrong there. I'm pretty happy with mine so far. Its definitely works for my "sit back and grind it out" climbing style but I'm most impressed when the bike is pointed downhill. Not only does it PLOW through the chunk but it RAILS through sweeping corners as well.

To answer your question though, the Yeti SB5 with the SI suspension was the most efficient pedaling bike I ever owned. I should have kept that one.
    I beat a Yeti SB5 up hill with a cheap Scott Spark 745. I was so fast yup hill that I even beat the Yeti downhill too.

My other ride
    I beat a Yeti SB5 up hill with a cheap Scott Spark 745. I was so fast yup hill that I even beat the Yeti downhill too.
    That's nice. I beat a Spark RC900 in a pro race.

There's nothing wrong with the Scott, but it isn't gods gift either. Still requires a rider, and a person who knows you are in a race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    and a person who knows you are in a race.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    That's nice. Still requires a rider, and a person who knows you are in a race.
    This is where that old saw comes from, "Ride it like you're racing it!"
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    That's nice. I beat a Spark RC900 in a pro race.

There's nothing wrong with the Scott, but it isn't gods gift either. Still requires a rider, and a person who knows you are in a race.
    The Yeti owner knew we where in a race be he bragged how much better is bike was than mine at the bottom. I told him letís see then who gets back faster. He refused to talk to me at the bottom. Course I was smiling from Ear to ear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So just maybe more of that had to do with the rider not the bike?

Bottom line your recommendations are hard to take seriously since its always a Scott no matter what. Anyone that's ridden a bunch of bikes can at least recognize the strength and weakness of the different suspension designs out there.

You come across as just a rabid fan that hasn't ridden very many bikes.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    The Yeti owner knew we where in a race be he bragged how much better is bike was than mine at the bottom. I told him letís see then who gets back faster. He refused to talk to me at the bottom. Course I was smiling from Ear to ear.
    Like the bike had anything to do with that at all. Nino Schurter could ride a rigid Huffy up the trail and destroy you as you rode his World Cup Scott bike. Does that make the Huffy a better bike?
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Like the bike had anything to do with that at all. Nino Schurter could ride a rigid Huffy up the trail and destroy you as you rode his World Cup Scott bike. Does that make the Huffy a better bike?
    I agree with that. The thing is too many people put too much investment or credit in there $10,000 bike and act like itís the all in all.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I agree with that. The thing is too many people put too much investment or credit in there $10,000 bike and act like itís the all in all.
    But you act as a Scott bike is the all in all.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    The Spark does hold a few World Cups, that says something about how it works. I don't own one, but have ridden a few including Genius and agree they are really good bikes. Now that I think about it, maybe I'm just too easy to impress, I have to admit I like most bikes.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    The Spark does hold a few World Cups, that says something about how it works. I don't own one, but have ridden a few including Genius and agree they are really good bikes. Now that I think about it, maybe I'm just too easy to impress, I have to admit I like most bikes.
    I don't have a single bad thing to say about Scott bikes but Nino Schurter won those World Cups, NOT the Scott bikes he was riding.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    There's nothing wrong with the Scott
    Until it breaks. And it will. They always do. Scott is the new Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I don't have a single bad thing to say about Scott bikes but Nino Schurter won those World Cups, NOT the Scott bikes he was riding.
    True, but he designed that bike to win. That says something in itself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Until it breaks. And it will. They always do. Scott is the new Ellsworth
    New bike for 2017, canít judge the new model on the old models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Iím not crediting just the bike for the win. Iím also credit on the picture down below.
    Most efficient FS 650b pedaler-1dc5c19c-1035-4e24-ad70-5cf10d263b13.jpg

mtbr member
    Iím not crediting just the bike for the win. Iím also credit on the picture down below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1DC5C19C-1035-4E24-AD70-5CF10D263B13.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	76.4 KB 
ID:	1163215
    White socks? Short shorts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    New bike for 2017, canít judge the new model on the old models.
    But you can judge a company and how they handle warranty and that is what his comment was referring too.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    White socks? Short shorts?
    Not short shorts I pulled up the shorts so you could see the muscle

mtbr member
    Not short shorts I pulled up the shorts so you could see the muscle
    You'll be faster if you start shaving your legs like Nino.
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wow, I've never seen a thread that made me laugh so hard and make me want to puke all at the same time!

My other ride
    I clearly don't ride for the same reasons you do. I want to win, but the people waiting for me at the finish line are my friends. None of us bragging about being better, or faster, or how awesome our bikes are. Lots of fist bumping and sharing stories. Pretty much everyone I have raced against, and race against now, I can call friends. I'm happy when they beat me, happy for them. Sure, disappointed in myself, but it makes me want to go faster.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

(Not my photo, but I'm in it, with friends)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I clearly don't ride for the same reasons you do. I want to win, but the people waiting for me at the finish line are my friends. None of us bragging about being better, or faster, or how awesome our bikes are. Lots of fist bumping and sharing stories. Pretty much everyone I have raced against, and race against now, I can call friends. I'm happy when they beat me, happy for them. Sure, disappointed in myself, but it makes me want to go faster.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

(Not my photo, but I'm in it, with friends)
    Iím probably a tad bit more competitive than you. As the ex martial artist\power lifter it comes with the territory. Bruce lee was very cocky/competive and a great martial artist too. Well not as good as a martial artist as Bruce, heís cocky competitiveness I have.