Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Mondraker

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_1.jpg

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_2.jpg

I have recently bought a Mondraker Foxy XR frame and since they don't have a Mondraker thread, I thought I had better give the bike a well deserved wrap in the 27.5 forum.

It's a top end performer that can hold its head high among some illustrious 27.5 company. Here is a very long and wordy story of what I discovered. Yes, it is subjective, but perhaps my opinions might be worth something and help others to consider options and ideas when they search for what's best for them and their riding. Apologies for being way too wordy.

Some back ground

My last 26" bike was a Blur TRc with a Lyric and CCDBa. It was a great bike, a 26" at the pinnacle of its performance you might say. There were a few 26" bikes before the TRc of course and then along came 27.5.

I had to jump ship and move into this new size before I totally lost out on my 26" gear and besides, it looked like you would be only getting new stuff in the new size for the future.

Interestingly, 27.5 is affecting 29er FS sales now - these have stalled. I reckon the big S would have seen the stalling as well - I digress...

I tried 5 different bikes. A Solo C, Bronson C Large, Spicy ei, Mach 6 and a Bronson C XL. They were the available picks for me. I wasn't too interested in single pivot designs, so while some other brands had great numbers, they weren't on my radar. I would have loved to have tried some of the new Canadian bikes out, but alas, no great demo access for me here.

I rode the Bronson C and liked it a lot, the Solo C was announced and I surmised that this was going to be the one (considering I loved its TRc cousin), so I ordered a Solo C. A great trail bike, light, very efficient and fun. However, some of the old agro wasn't present and I was looking for more out of it. I embarked on some testing to get back to my happy place (that I was on with my Trc) but in the new wheels size.

5 x 27.5 bikes - personal demos

Bronson C L
    I had this bike for 4 days. This is a defining bike, it is just so very good. No wonder SC was caught on the hop with their sales projections with this bike, out selling by a factor of around 3x I believe. Deserved success for SC. Props SC. If this replaces a blur, golly gosh, how good will a new Nomad be - exciting times ahead.

Mach 6
    I really liked this bike (3 days). It would crush things on the way down, it had great traction on the way up tech. It was fast, poised and top of its class.

However as a personal preference, I liked the Bronson a little more. The Bronson felt brighter and lighter to pedal somehow, and on the downs, I felt more of the trail - not the bumps, but the connection with the smaller features on the trail that you can pump and work - the M6 would delete these from the feel - it was too good for my liking. Or perhaps, you just needed rougher terrain to exploit what an M6 can offer.
    Certainly if you do more trail riding, the Bronson seems to cover this end of the spectrum better while still being able to hit out hard like a M6 when things get rowdy. One other drawback for me was the fitment wasn't exactly right, a little shorter in reach for a L. The bike was sorted and balanced, just a fitment niggle for me though.

Spicy ei
    This bike had a longer top tube and it was great. The enduro TT (had to say it). People criticise the Enduro labeling of everything and that is part true, but the one thing I do like about Enduro is the influence it has had over the new geo set ups that are coming down the line - it is changing the cockpit geo and the front of centre on bikes and I like it.

The Spicy dominated the downs. Was better than both the M6 and Bronson C at the downs and if I did more shuttling it would be a top pick. Climbing, not so good. It had an old school efficiency, that's how it felt to me. It wasn't bad and pretty good in ei, it's just not as bright as the other 2 for trail riding or the ups. But, wow, super fun on the downs, very dominant.

Bronson C XL
    After liking the Spicy's TT, I tried an XL Bronson - you know, to go fully Enduro (yep, still joking). Despite the stack and seat tube length, it was working for me fine. This was a precursor to trying the longer FOC concept (I'm 5' 11.5" by the way)

The SB 66 is one bike that had geo numbers in a large, nice TT length, but it has clown wheels so is inherently slower. Also, I know that Jared is helping them build a new version with the right wheel size, that should be something to behold and something to consider down the track.

The Mondraker

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_6.jpg

I had read about the Forward geo design of the Mondraker. I was very cautious, nervous even. The idea made sense, but there just had to be some major draw backs, pay off in one area and compromises in another.

That wheel base, in a large = 48". That's 1.4" longer than a XXL Tallboy Ltc. A whopping 3" longer WB than the bike I was replacing, the Solo - yes, three inches. You can understand my trepidation. Was it going to be a banana bus.

Was it just a plow bike, would it climb tech - so many questions. I'm coming from a long line of beautiful carbon bikes, back to a AL bike, hmm.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_3.jpg

No one had a bike that fitted my new criteria sufficiently, Yeti was close but it had the slower wheels and if they did have the geo via sizing up, the seat tube would be too long to run a dropper or there was some other criteria issue. The new Knolly Warden was a contender and looks good on paper, but I have a trip to Queenstown NZ this month and I needed a solution now and not later. And, I can come back to that option if they ever make one in carbon, a long way down the track.

So I took the risk and bought a Mondraker Foxy XR frame, size L, purely as an experiment. I just had to try it, and I was prepared to off load it if it was a pig or a bike full of major compromises - like down orientated only and no up capability. Suspension performance and pedal platform are also important - who knows about the ZERO suspension system?

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_4.jpg

The ride

I striped the parts off the Solo C and built up the Foxy XR, with the Pike back out to 160mm.

The bike came in at 12.5kgs, very reasonable for tin.

First moments on the bike are interesting, you wear a silly smile as you can see all of the front of the fork, I mean all of the fork, and the hub and most of the front tyre.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_5.jpg

Within moments on the trail, the bike melts away under you and becomes at one with you very quickly. It is immediately apparent that the bike feels right, very right. Mondraker have made something special here.

It's not a quantifiable or empirical measurement, but you know the "right" feeling when you hit it, a sweet spot. It allows you to ride more purely, just focus on the trail as the bike has melded into your body. Nice!

Given my long VPP history, I like VPP over small bumps and am sensitive to other designs that don't match or better this standard. The Foxy feels good, no little hang ups on smallish square edges.

It pedals very well. Not as efficient as a 125mm VPP Solo which isn't surprising as this has 140mm rear. It's might not be as good as a Bronson, but that also might be that it just feels different in execution. It's close and a little reminiscent of a Blur Ltc. Having said that, it will out climb a Bronson in tech. Head wagging is much less. Also, I can do mini track stands in tech and get all trialsie on it - something new for me as most people think I am unbalanced, certainly my wife does anyway.

The fun part of the ride, the downs - amazing! This bike is a blast, is surprisingly good on twisty trails. Everything it does, it does faster. It is nimble through the trees - I know, counter intuitive, but it is. It messes with your mind. On gentle down trails, quick.

It feels very natural to me, but casting my mind back, I think I am working it through the trees, so maybe not a bike for you if you expect light XC steering. I like forcing it through, feels more fun to me and this does the business fine.

WB is only noticeable on the tightest of corners, but in any event, I found that I was arriving much faster, a slightly different line and leaving the corner faster. Many times I arrived at a second and third feature on a known trail and arrived with much more heat - some features took on new rolls or projected me to new areas of the track. I found it to jump really well, and I could change direction well. Drops were sublime. And then, head to the steeper stuff and this bike shines even brighter. Wow. Steeper chutes and faster stuff are another league.

On my own trails and for me, I am a lot faster on this than any of the other 5 bikes I have tested. The bike has so much potential that I haven't yet tapped into or fully exploited it. All I know is that this is a super fast bike. It's not a plow bike and I managed to bunny hop all of the logs I usually do, however the back wheel did clip two on the way down. Reminding me it is longer, but it isn't as compromised as you might think, I can still pop and hop about, perhaps with a little less flourish and lease ease than the Solo.

I let two of my friend at the LBS ride it as well, both are much better riders than I. One, podiums in DH races and the other, in Enduro and XC races, will podium as well. Just saying, they have skills where in comparison, I don't.

The DH guy has a V10C and a Bronson C. He came back and simply said, "I want one, I think it's better than my Bronson". The other guy (LBS owner) just said, "it's crazy fast and surprisingly nimble" he also complained that the bike's speed was eye watering on many of his trails, he was limited because he wasn't wearing goggles.

And to confirm, I agree with these comments from the professional test rides. These review comments ring true with my early first experiences on the bike:

Quote Vitalmtb,
    I agree, this thing can rally:
    "Mondraker says they made this ride capable of pedaling up and rallying down, and rally we did! In fact, this may have been the most rally-able all-mountain bike we've ever ridden…"

"The Forward Geometry offered by the Mondraker Foxy XR creates a bike that wants to be ridden really, really hard, and can to be to a point."

I have upgrade my rear shock to a Float X, a noticeable and worthy improvement.

"This comes with a price, though, as the rear suspension may not keep up for riders that use the bike to its full potential (we're talking DH speeds here, because the bike will allow it").

A couple of these guys didn't like how it climbed. I had no issue with how it climbed, and my experience was like some other reviewers.

Quote Bikeradar

I found it climbs tech really wheel. Switch backs didn't bother me, and in fact, the extra poise helped me.

"The bike seems to loves climbing as there's no front wheel lift, and once you're used to the length it's not much harder work on slow turns."

Yes, it is fast. And the grip is amazing. Even on flat corners or trails with 1 or 2 degree elevation drop, it is blisteringly quick into and out of turns.

"But steep terrain is the environment where it really excels: the steeper and faster the better, in fact. With the front wheel so far in front, the amount of weight you can put on it for grip is incredible, allowing you to rail turns at speeds that will have you questioning your ability"

Yep, this bike challenges you in a good way.

I note this bike isn't for everyone, but it sure does suit me and how I like to ride. I tend to weight the front a lot anyway, the bike is definitely a nice riding experience for me. It may not suit everyone, especially if you are coming off a steeper XC geometry for example.
    I've only had a handful of rides so far, but I can't wait to explore some more.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker_7.jpg

Here's a wrap for the Mondraker's Foxy XR. A potent bike indeed.

A con: will it fit into my bike bag for my NZ Queenstown trip - I hope so, might be tight but I'm going

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Looks like a nice bike. Maybe you could do a thorough write up though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Good review!
    The Forward Geometry has a very long top tube and shorter stem, it is hard to bunny hop and manual??

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The bike is crazy long and the geo seems unusual. Glad you like it. I'll say this, it's a damn fine-looking bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Blatant, thanks mate.

I read your Bronson comments in your other thread and I like your Bronson, that's a very nice bike too.

I concur with some of your comments re the M6 and the Bronson.

Simon, yes the geo numbers are a bit freaky, but once you are on it you are so centered and balanced. Bunny hops are no hard than doing them on a Bronson, not as good as a Solo, but still very doable. Manuals are okay too. Maybe a fraction harder to initiate, but comes up fine and balances easily. That shortish CS (16.9) helps a little I'd say.

Neither action is made impossible and with in a couple of rides, you kind of get accustom to the requirements to action them.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post
    The bike is crazy long and the geo seems unusual. Glad you like it. I'll say this, it's a damn fine-looking bike.
    I have to second that. One of the best looking bikes I ever saw!
    Last edited by Max24; 03-07-2015 at 07:58 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Very interesting read Wiliam, if we could only go back in time and unshackle the roadie influence that invaded the sport and install a moto outlook.

No moto-dirtbike I know has a handlebar clamp reach beyond 30mm or so.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I've been experimenting with similar geometries, and think there really is something positive to be said for them. Especially for aggressive riders who prefer to keep the front weighted and speeds high.

Cheers,
    KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well the good news is, the bike fitted in the bag, just. No real bad news, minor crash on my third jump, but otherwise, outstanding on the fast stuff in Queenstown. And outstanding on the steeper DH stuff as well. A great trip, a great place to ride and some quality time on the new rig. Sweet as!

Actually, we scoped out some 'ungroomed' tracks (out and above Q'town bike park) that had us dropping down some of the steepest stuff I have ever done, a series of tight off camber switch backs - no problems.

I totally agree with you on that Gripo, I always found massive stems to be a strange option, especially if you purposely set up that way.

Hi Kirk, yeah I agree with that to, I think there is a growing niche for this longer FOC set up (sure, this one is on the extreme side - one has to find the limits... ).

While a lot of people bemoan the market hype of things being Enduro (rightly in some cases), I think one actual spin off from Enduro has been some geo changes and I have to say I like the feel. This experiement has certainly moved my boundaries along, my preference is for a frame, or should I say cockpit that will let me run a shorter stem. In the past I would settle for up to 75mm, not so much now.

It works for me.
    Cheers guys

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I had it for a couple of days in the dessert - worked very well.
    However - I meant to try the Dune and the shop got me the Foxy by mistake...
    Anyone out there who have tried them both and report ?
    thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, they do a XL frame. Bike radar tested the XL frame a while back.

You can put a 10mm or 30mm stem on it as well. So some size range upward is there.

FYI

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thinking of doing exactly the same. Currently on an Yeti ASR5. Want to try out a new wheel size. Was thinking a Tallboy LTC but have been told that it can really deaden the trail. Also thinking bronson or 5010 or even the kona process 134. How does the Foxy ride on the flat between the ups on the downs. I have quite a few cross country sections between the fun stuff

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    No worries oli, I have PMed you re this.

Hey, great review on the Foxy here - a winner by the looks

http://www.mondraker.com/14/imagenes...EAR_1_path.pdf

I'm just back from some great riding in NZ, a few shuttle runs, some DH runs, some trail riding and I have to agree with the reviewers. A fun machine it is.

FYI

Cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm not happy with my lapierre spicy 916 2013 for me it's too reactive and nervous and I'm very attracted by the foxy xr 2013 it's a bike for skilled bikers or also a biker of mid level can use it with big smiles?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi maramouse. The Spicy is pretty good with it's TT length, not as short as a bunch of other brands.

I think the Foxy can span a wide range of levels. You'll achieve things on it that you hadn't before, so smiles are in there. It has such good balance and stability, it'll magnify your level no worries.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Real interesting, thanks. I see you're in Aus (I'm in Perth). Wondering where you got the frame from, overseas or is there an Australian dealer? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great review
    I'm riding the pivot Mach 6 great bike before that the SC blur TRC with 27.5 conversion
    I'm always looking for something different and now the blur has found a new home I have bike shed space
    I have been researching the foxy
    Williamk it looks like the 30 mm stem you are running , have you considered or tried the 10 mm stem?
    Also I'm not sure on size , I'm 173 cm the top tube on the Mach 6 is 596mm with a 80 mm stem , the medium foxy with 30 mm stem is going to be shorter
    ( I have the seat well forward on the Mach 6 to improve the peddling - big improvement )
    What do you think
    The new carbon foxy looks great but frame is over $4000 AU and I think it's only 400 grams lighter
    Decisions decisions decisions -- hard when no bikes to try
    Any advice

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi askayk, How is WA treating you. I bought my frame from NZ as there was no assigned distributor for them in Aus. I believe there is someone doing it in Australia now, have a look and see if they list him on their website or google for him/them.

Hey Wassa the M6 is a great bike, you are already on a premium bike there. I believe the M6 is slightly more efficient pedal wise.

Interesting you moved the seat. Some people find the fit a short coming. The TT measurement looks fine, but the reality is in the reach numbers.

If you compare reach numbers, then you will get M6: 401.6 + 80 = 481.6. Foxy: 478 + 10 = 488. I would say that you would have plenty of room on a Foxy. Seat angle is 74 deg, so you can put your seat in a centered position and enjoy a good pedaling position.

The decision is all yours, a leap of faith even. The Foxy is longer and more stable and an engaging ride, nimble and attacking. The M6 will gobble rough better and is no slouch in any department - a hard choice full of compromises. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks williamk
    Plan to keep the pivot Mach 6 and replace the blur TRC
    Are you running the 30mm stem?
    Is the shock upgrade worth the dollars
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, I am running a 30mm stem. I do have a 10mm though, which I reckon would be ace. But for my reach 30mm is just right.

Yes, I rode with the standard fox, the bike was fine. I put on the Float X and I could feel a smoother pedal action straight away. It was an improvement in all regards. Whether it is worth it, that is a subjective question for yourself.

That's a hard replacement for you. I feel that a Foxy and a M6 would perhaps be too close together in capability. There's going to be more stuff coming out soon (27.5 is hot and 29er sales are sluggish - I reckon some nice 100mm and 120mm 27.5 rigs will be coming). I'm not sure of what you are wanting or needing for a no 2 bike, perhaps don't rush in and wait for the cherry.

Cheers

mtbr member

Stealth Dropper Post?

Williamk, nice bike and nice review…does your bike have stealth dropper post hose routing? i can't find this detail listed on any site so i'd assumed it hadn't got it but looking at your first photo it looks like you've got one installed? cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    What length are you running the pikes at?

Also are you running xx1

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    William K, amazing review, well done!

Questions:

What stem length are you currently using?

Have you tried a Dune?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Any of you guys eyeing up that Foxy carbon? Man, that looks sweet.

mtbr member
    yeah the carbon looks really nice - the forks and wheels are putting me off slightly though

mtbr member
    It appears to have its design origin in MX bikes. I always wondered why no one ever did this before. Apparently landing in Queenstown through the clouds is an incredible experience. There is an amazing video of this in Chonday.com.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am considering getting one of these myself eventually. I noticed that you switched out the headset on it. Does this frame require an integrated headset or an internal headset? Would the 10mm stem work with any headset? And did the 10mm stem come with your bike, or only the 30mm? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Hi askayk, I bought my frame from NZ as there was no assigned distributor for them in Aus..
    Your build weight is pretty light. Any idea on the frame with shock weight?
    I presume you got the frame from Alta?
    They don't list frame only.What was the price?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Bristecom, Yes the 10mm stem will work with any headset. My frame came with a 10mm headset and I bought a 30mm one extra. Measuring my reach from the seat to the bars on my other bikes, my position is such that I needed a 30mm stem to equal this same reach distance in set up. So it's 30mm for me. I reckon the 10mm would be really cool though, I was going to try it but haven't been bothered to explore sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Alex, Mondraker say that you probably can't fit a piggy back shock, and that there is no routing for a stealth. Actually the seat clamp comes with provision for an external dropper - nice touch.

Well, the piggy back fits fine and improves the performance, especially on the steeper and faster stuff in Queenstown It pedals better in all areas actually.

I thank my LBS for the dropper set up, I asked if they could find a way to route a stealth. We were prepared to drill.

When we got the frame, the angle is not good for a drill hole. But some clever zip tie work, and you can run the cable in on the inside of the seat tube-shock frame and up into the seat tube itself. It has worked perfectly. And best of all, we didn't have to drill.

So yes, you can run one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi gvs, Yes I bought the frame from Alta. Given the distance between us, I am thankful for their help. I did have to pay a small fee for the break down of a bike over there (again, thanks to them for even allowing this) - this allowed me to get a frame only. It suited me as I already had the running gear on another frame.

I did weigh the frame, but I didn't write it down and I have since forgotten how much it was, it was very respectable. I do remember the first impressions when it arrived at my LBS. We all commented on how light it was. It is a top class weight for an AL frame. The build weight is pretty spot on, and confirmed at 12.4kgs for me.

When you look at the new carbon model, they are claiming around the 11.9kg - which seems to corresponds. Maybe you could build a carbon one up in the range of 11.6 to 11.8kgs.

Sorry I don't have a specific number for you there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Cool, thanks! Great review by the way. I'm actually living in the US and there is no Mondraker dealer here unfortunately. But I think some European companies will ship to the US. It'll still be pricier though. I just really like the geometry of this bike. I wonder if other manufacturers will soon follow. Do you know of any good Mondraker dealer that would ship to the US?

Also, I wanted to ask, in some of the Dune reviews (160mm travel), they said the bike would bob when pedaling while out of the seat. Have you noticed any bobbing with this suspension design compared to a DW-Link? I'm sure I can probably tune it out with a good shock or something if there is but still...

mtbr member
    thanks, but would you say it's an easy and straight forward job or a bit of a pain? did your post/hose need any modification and is the hose completely internal now?

also, how tall are you, i'm 6'1"/188cm and i think a Large will be good? dealers are fairly scarce around me so viewing/riding one will be tricky!

cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    C
    Also, I wanted to ask, in some of the Dune reviews (160mm travel), they said the bike would bob when pedaling while out of the seat. Have you noticed any bobbing with this suspension design compared to a DW-Link? I'm sure I can probably tune it out with a good shock or something if there is but still...
    Can't see why. It has very good antisquat and low leverage ratio at sag. As shown on Antinio's blog. Typical of the new Enduro breed it has similar or better climbing stats as Trance 27.5 , Bronson Troy, Sight, Ripley etc.

Mondraker Foxy 650B 2014 - Linkage Design

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Oh man! That's exactly what I wanted to see! Thanks! I currently have a Trance 27.5 and am not entirely happy with it. However, the rear suspension on it is probably the best I've ever tried. So that's why I was a bit concerned that the Mondraker may be noticeably worse if I end up going with it instead. Now, I must admit, I don't entirely understand what those graphs mean but it appears the Trance is still a little better in that regard? But at least the Mondraker should be close enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I considered a Dune myself, but as I was buying blind I went for the more conservative option. Even though the green did look nice.

My logic was, a 140mm will always pedal better than a 160mm. The Foxy was designed to accept a 160mm up the front (as well as 140), so it should go hard for a 140mm travel bike. The foxy was lower by a couple of mm and it had a shorter CS. That seemed to add up to the best choice for me.

The suspension design as mentioned above, is good and is what I call a modern design. It pedals well for a 140mm bike. It isn't the same as DW and probably gets edged out if you want to be picky. But as a whole, the bike and geo and suspension work well to get you up stuff.

There is a fraction of bob when you pedal tired. If you are smooth, it is pretty smooth. I'm just trying to say that it isn't totally eliminated like a DW. You had a maestro bike, they pedal well to. Fire road climbs I flick the Float X to the middle and it is really good and standing is fine to.

I suspect you would get more bob on the Dune, so I am happy with the choice. When pointed down, the Foxy is a lot of bike as it turns out, it is up to you as to how brave you want to go.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Oh man! That's exactly what I wanted to see! Thanks! I currently have a Trance 27.5 and am not entirely happy with it. However, the rear suspension on it is probably the best I've ever tried.

Just as a side note what points aren't you happy with the Trance 27.5. Frame or componets?

Take a look through the blog. All the DW bikes are different on paper ,especially the Ibis vs turner.Even my single pivot commencals look similar to turner Dw bikes on paper. And of course maestro is very similar to turner Dw bikes in practise and on paper. The mondraker looks very simialr to both on paper and in theory should climb slightly better than the trance 27.5 on smooth climbs but give slightly more pedal feedback.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Just as a side note what points aren't you happy with the Trance 27.5. Frame or componets?
    Well, many things - both frame and components. The frame geometry just doesn't give me enough confidence at higher speeds, I feel like the BB is a little too low (not enough clearance), and I've had all sorts of creaks from day one, despite trying to re-torque and grease everything. The saddle clamp always seems to bend when I land a big enough bump no matter how much I tighten it, the dropper post remote is slippy and hard to angle and adjust properly (compared to the RockShox), the Fox Fork is pretty much garbage, and the rear Fox shock is not bad but definitely not great (although the rear suspension works very well). The brakes have squealed (while not using them) since day one which I, nor the bike shop, have been able to fix and I don't really like how they modulate (compared to older Shimano's I've had). Also, my XT rear derailleur bent when I went through some mud and nearly cracked my rear suspension link, the MRP lower chain guide actually dropped the chain a couple times, scratching up my XT crank, and tends to make more noise, and the Giant handlebar end caps kept popping out so I just used a generic brand even though they don't look as nice. These are the things that come to mind.

It's not a bad bike by any means, it's just that I spent a lot of money on it and was hoping for a bit more I guess. I was originally planning to upgrade the components on it but I think I'm just going to sell it and go with the Mondraker Foxy XR instead and custom build one of those up. But I'll probably wait until winter for that.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was wondering if it was geometry or frame flex.
    Sounds like a longer travel fork[ i.e. sx] and another seatpost upgrade would do the trick. The lower spec foxy is even more of a compromise in components.
    I don't like the Giant brand post seat clamp. Not that I usually use a dropper anyway. Any AM or shuttle runs I do is up 1/2 hr smooth climbs, then drop the post. Don't need one trail riding[ long xc race background].

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Sounds like a longer travel fork[ i.e. sx] and another seatpost upgrade would do the trick.
    I don't like the giant brand post seat clamp. Not that I usually use a dropper anyway. Any AM or shuttle runs I do is up 1/2 hr smooth climbs, then drop the post. Don't need one trail riding.
    Yeah, a 160mm front fork would definitely help. At first I didn't think I'd want or need it but now I know I do. This bike has taught me a lot about what I do really want from a bike though. I have put together some component specs and the Mondraker Foxy XR large sized frame would be nearly perfect geometry for me. So I think I'll eventually build one of these up for myself. I do wish Mondraker would have internal cable routing and a chainstay protector like the Giant does. I don't like the idea of running the cables underneath the frame where all the rocks flick up - potentially damaging the brake hose and shifter cable. I know the new carbon framed one has those things so maybe next year's aluminum will too. Black with white lettering/accents would be sweet too.

mtbr member

Απ: Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

WRT the zero suspension, a mate has a 2012 foxy R and I've spend a few hours on it. Sitted pedalling there is no bob at all, maybe 2 or 3mm of movement.

Out of the saddle though, there is noticeable bob,even with the propedal on.

Descending the rear felt much smoother than the fork,which means that either the bike is more balanced with 160mm on the front, or the fox evolution stuff is as medicre as everyone says they are.

Disclaimer: the bike wasn't set up for me, although my weight is pretty close to the foxy's owner.

mtbr member
    can anyone help me out with sizing? anyone around 6'1" have any experience/know someone with a foxy? i'm overseas with the military at the moment so can't test one but am hoping to tee one up for my return? any advice?

cheers

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alex84 View Post
    can anyone help me out with sizing? anyone around 6'1" have any experience/know someone with a foxy? i'm overseas with the military at the moment so can't test one but am hoping to tee one up for my return? any advice?

cheers
    Hey Alex, Mondraker posts their stack and reach measurements on the official website. That will give you the most important dimensions. If you have a previous bike that fit you well, you can go off of that. My guess is that you'd either want a Large with a 30mm stem on the top stack with a higher rise handlebar or an XL with the 10mm stem and shorter handlebar rise or the 30mm stem on the bottom stack. Supposedly that's what the BikeRadar guys did (XL with 30mm stem on bottom). But yeah, just measure things up first as best you can.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    William K

Good review. I want to buy one of these at the end of the month and I have been recommended a large. I am 5,10 and was just wanting to know your thoughts on what size I should go for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Matt,

I am 5' 11.5" and I am on a large with a 30mm stem. I'm not sure of how long you are as a 5,10, but my guess is that you might be in the sweet spot for a L frame with a 10mm stem. If you are on a large frame now, then go a large again.

Just measure your current reach from saddle center to handle bar center and you'll soon know if you are going to fit.

With a 10mm stem, you are looking at 660mm for a Large.

Conversely, a medium with a 30mm stem will overlap this and give you 665mm (or 645mm with the 10mm stem).

If you can, aim for their design intention of the bike and try and fit yourself with a 10mm stem.

Best of luck.

W

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Probably an XL

Hi Alex,

I am 5' 11.5" and I ride the L with a 30mm stem. I prefer TT space nowadays. Previously the trend was, fit the shortest bike so as you can get the nimblest bike. The Foxy mocks this idea.

The thing with short bikes is that you have to be very accurate with body movement between the axles (to stay centered and to get that last few tenths of speed and accuracy). The short wheel base makes it easier to extend past or over the C of G from time to time, especially once you get tired or challenged etc - longer bikes, seem to have a larger sweet spot.

If your 20, then stay on a shorter bike because your reflexes are sharper and you have the stamina to sustain the assault. If you are older, then start to look at the longer TTs that are coming out. (note, those sustained assaults found in Enduro are pushing top riders to ask for longer bikes)

It's like the old wood tennis rackets, pay heaps for the best wood and if you had top skills, you could extract great tennis out of them - then the larger head AL tennis rackets came out with a larger sweet spot - everyone could play better, hit harder and faster. Same for the Foxy, you can play harder and go faster. ( I loaned my bike to a 20+year DH rider and it was so fast for him in places, he need to wear goggles on a trail bike - it's all relative to skill level of course - the Foxy as a tool, can elevate you)

Since you are 6' 1", I would think you would be an XL frame. (which is the same as they used in the Bikeradar reviews). But I don't know you and you have to be sure, so measure up. As a start point, measure from the center of your seat to the center of your handle bar. The XL foxy will be nearly 700m with a 30mm stem. How does that compare with your current ride?

I could ride a XL with a 10mm stem - which would be good as this is the pinnacle of the Mondraker geo design philosophy. However, the seat tube is a fraction too long for me to run my 6" dropper post - I have shortish legs you see. (not to mention that the front end gets higher on a XL as well)

There is a new shorter stem trend happening (look at all the new short stems that have come out recently - renthal, ritchey etc), imo a short stem set up does allow you to apply yourself more aggressively to the ride. Great for forcing your way around corners, reefing the bike about on essess and sure footed on very steep stuff and at speed. The Foxy appears to be nimble to me, but that could be because you just love to man handle it about.

You kind of have to trust in the design idea, it is a small leap and if you are up to it and think it suits you, your riding style and your normal terrain, it is well worth taking the leap.

mtbr member
    thanks, that's a great help,

i've just had my bike measured and the tt is 630 (measured from the top of the seat post the the centre of the top cap of the stem), i'm currently running a 70mm stem so that would be 700mm - the equivalent to a foxy xl

also the reach (measured from the front of the saddle to the top cap of the stem) is 480, with the stem that's 550 which again is the same as the xl with a 30mm stem

those measurements have both come out bang on the same as the foxy xl which almost seems too good to be true!! please correct me if my measure points or logic is wrong!

thanks again

alex

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Looks promising to me, reach is spot on. Check the seat tube length on offer with your current ride and go from there - I'm guessing it will be fine. You're in for a revolutionary change there

Good luck

mtbr member
    Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-p1070547.jpg

Hi at all...
    Last week I was tested the new foxy carbon. In write in this blog my sensations.

JAVITOBIKE: A fondo. Mondraker Foxy XR 27,5 Carbono

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by javito; 05-24-2014 at 11:25 AM.
    www.javitobike.blogspot.com

"As if you could kill time without injuring eternity."?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wish I spoke Spanish Javito, can you do a quick summary in English? Also can you tell me how much room is there around the shock it looks pretty tight and I am looking to use a DB Inline on my next bike so its crucial it will fit, any ideas? Cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    Wish I spoke Spanish Javito, can you do a quick summary in English? Also can you tell me how much room is there around the shock it looks pretty tight and I am looking to use a DB Inline on my next bike so its crucial it will fit, any ideas? Cheers.
    The DB Inline would not be good for this suspension layout. It would likely be very difficult, if not impossible to put air into it since the valve is near the bottom.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m_t_b View Post
    According I´ll try....when i have some free time

mtbr member
    JAVITOBIKE: A fondo. Mondraker Foxy XR 27,5 Carbono Test

with a little help, a simple translation yet

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks for that I think I got the gist, so you found it a little tricky in the tight stuff? From all accounts the 2015 RP23 are much improved so may be ok but i have been on them for years really want a change.... Maybe get one avalanche or PUSHed

mtbr member

I'm not sure other more bulky fit other shoch within the frame
    The kinematics of the Zero system does not need strong control of compression and rebound.
    For many years I have ridden a Mondraker Dune and I am very sure of this

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ordered one as frame set, didn't care much of the specs Mondraker has out from the box.

Going to put Marz 350 CR on front as a fork, haven't decided what length i'm going to set it at though.

Javito, how the bike was on technical steep climbs when pedaling out from saddle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    I ordered one as frame set, didn't care much of the specs Mondraker has out from the box.

Going to put Marz 350 CR on front as a fork, haven't decided what length i'm going to set it at though.

Javito, how the bike was on technical steep climbs when pedaling out from saddle?

There are 3 versions on full carbon and one whith the rear triangle in Al.
    In the carbon versions only change the rear shock. Kashima 2, performace 1.

With the Fork 160 Fox the front angle its 67,5º . I´m think es good for all use.
    I´m change in talas to 140, then no much differences when you´re climb. But yes, if you´re going down

The rear Zero sistem it´t very soft and no reactive like a VPP or DW. You´re climb better if you seat on the saddle. For reactive behaivor put the CTD on Trail

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-p1070463.jpg

Mtb Guide
    Mondraker

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mondraker_1.JPG 
Views:	63176 
Size:	361.6 KB 
ID:	875968

Name:	Mondraker_2.JPG 
Views:	11244 
Size:	360.2 KB 
ID:	875969

I have recently bought a Mondraker Foxy XR frame and since they don't have a Mondraker thread, I thought I had better give the bike a well deserved wrap in the 27.5 forum.

It's a top end performer that can hold its head high among some illustrious 27.5 company. Here is a very long and wordy story of what I discovered. Yes, it is subjective, but perhaps my opinions might be worth something and help others to consider options and ideas when they search for what's best for them and their riding. Apologies for being way too wordy.

Some back ground

My last 26" bike was a Blur TRc with a Lyric and CCDBa. It was a great bike, a 26" at the pinnacle of its performance you might say. There were a few 26" bikes before the TRc of course and then along came 27.5.

I had to jump ship and move into this new size before I totally lost out on my 26" gear and besides, it looked like you would be only getting new stuff in the new size for the future.

Interestingly, 27.5 is affecting 29er FS sales now - these have stalled. I reckon the big S would have seen the stalling as well - I digress...

I tried 5 different bikes. A Solo C, Bronson C Large, Spicy ei, Mach 6 and a Bronson C XL. They were the available picks for me. I wasn't too interested in single pivot designs, so while some other brands had great numbers, they weren't on my radar. I would have loved to have tried some of the new Canadian bikes out, but alas, no great demo access for me here.

I rode the Bronson C and liked it a lot, the Solo C was announced and I surmised that this was going to be the one (considering I loved its TRc cousin), so I ordered a Solo C. A great trail bike, light, very efficient and fun. However, some of the old agro wasn't present and I was looking for more out of it. I embarked on some testing to get back to my happy place (that I was on with my Trc) but in the new wheels size.

5 x 27.5 bikes - personal demos

Bronson C L
    I had this bike for 4 days. This is a defining bike, it is just so very good. No wonder SC was caught on the hop with their sales projections with this bike, out selling by a factor of around 3x I believe. Deserved success for SC. Props SC. If this replaces a blur, golly gosh, how good will a new Nomad be - exciting times ahead.

Mach 6
    I really liked this bike (3 days). It would crush things on the way down, it had great traction on the way up tech. It was fast, poised and top of its class.

However as a personal preference, I liked the Bronson a little more. The Bronson felt brighter and lighter to pedal somehow, and on the downs, I felt more of the trail - not the bumps, but the connection with the smaller features on the trail that you can pump and work - the M6 would delete these from the feel - it was too good for my liking. Or perhaps, you just needed rougher terrain to exploit what an M6 can offer.
    Certainly if you do more trail riding, the Bronson seems to cover this end of the spectrum better while still being able to hit out hard like a M6 when things get rowdy. One other drawback for me was the fitment wasn't exactly right, a little shorter in reach for a L. The bike was sorted and balanced, just a fitment niggle for me though.

Spicy ei
    This bike had a longer top tube and it was great. The enduro TT (had to say it). People criticise the Enduro labeling of everything and that is part true, but the one thing I do like about Enduro is the influence it has had over the new geo set ups that are coming down the line - it is changing the cockpit geo and the front of centre on bikes and I like it.

The Spicy dominated the downs. Was better than both the M6 and Bronson C at the downs and if I did more shuttling it would be a top pick. Climbing, not so good. It had an old school efficiency, that's how it felt to me. It wasn't bad and pretty good in ei, it's just not as bright as the other 2 for trail riding or the ups. But, wow, super fun on the downs, very dominant.

Bronson C XL
    After liking the Spicy's TT, I tried an XL Bronson - you know, to go fully Enduro (yep, still joking). Despite the stack and seat tube length, it was working for me fine. This was a precursor to trying the longer FOC concept (I'm 5' 11.5" by the way)

The SB 66 is one bike that had geo numbers in a large, nice TT length, but it has clown wheels so is inherently slower. Also, I know that Jared is helping them build a new version with the right wheel size, that should be something to behold and something to consider down the track.

The Mondraker

Name:	Mondraker_6.JPG 
Views:	3719 
Size:	332.8 KB 
ID:	875973

I had read about the Forward geo design of the Mondraker. I was very cautious, nervous even. The idea made sense, but there just had to be some major draw backs, pay off in one area and compromises in another.

That wheel base, in a large = 48". That's 1.4" longer than a XXL Tallboy Ltc. A whopping 3" longer WB than the bike I was replacing, the Solo - yes, three inches. You can understand my trepidation. Was it going to be a banana bus.

Was it just a plow bike, would it climb tech - so many questions. I'm coming from a long line of beautiful carbon bikes, back to a AL bike, hmm.

Name:	Mondraker_3.JPG 
Views:	1710 
Size:	310.7 KB 
ID:	875970

No one had a bike that fitted my new criteria sufficiently, Yeti was close but it had the slower wheels and if they did have the geo via sizing up, the seat tube would be too long to run a dropper or there was some other criteria issue. The new Knolly Warden was a contender and looks good on paper, but I have a trip to Queenstown NZ this month and I needed a solution now and not later. And, I can come back to that option if they ever make one in carbon, a long way down the track.

So I took the risk and bought a Mondraker Foxy XR frame, size L, purely as an experiment. I just had to try it, and I was prepared to off load it if it was a pig or a bike full of major compromises - like down orientated only and no up capability. Suspension performance and pedal platform are also important - who knows about the ZERO suspension system?

Name:	Mondraker_4.JPG 
Views:	7684 
Size:	366.8 KB 
ID:	875971

The ride

I striped the parts off the Solo C and built up the Foxy XR, with the Pike back out to 160mm.

The bike came in at 12.5kgs, very reasonable for tin.

First moments on the bike are interesting, you wear a silly smile as you can see all of the front of the fork, I mean all of the fork, and the hub and most of the front tyre.

Name:	Mondraker_5.JPG 
Views:	2285 
Size:	393.3 KB 
ID:	875972

Within moments on the trail, the bike melts away under you and becomes at one with you very quickly. It is immediately apparent that the bike feels right, very right. Mondraker have made something special here.

It's not a quantifiable or empirical measurement, but you know the "right" feeling when you hit it, a sweet spot. It allows you to ride more purely, just focus on the trail as the bike has melded into your body. Nice!

Given my long VPP history, I like VPP over small bumps and am sensitive to other designs that don't match or better this standard. The Foxy feels good, no little hang ups on smallish square edges.

It pedals very well. Not as efficient as a 125mm VPP Solo which isn't surprising as this has 140mm rear. It's might not be as good as a Bronson, but that also might be that it just feels different in execution. It's close and a little reminiscent of a Blur Ltc. Having said that, it will out climb a Bronson in tech. Head wagging is much less. Also, I can do mini track stands in tech and get all trialsie on it - something new for me as most people think I am unbalanced, certainly my wife does anyway.

The fun part of the ride, the downs - amazing! This bike is a blast, is surprisingly good on twisty trails. Everything it does, it does faster. It is nimble through the trees - I know, counter intuitive, but it is. It messes with your mind. On gentle down trails, quick.

It feels very natural to me, but casting my mind back, I think I am working it through the trees, so maybe not a bike for you if you expect light XC steering. I like forcing it through, feels more fun to me and this does the business fine.

WB is only noticeable on the tightest of corners, but in any event, I found that I was arriving much faster, a slightly different line and leaving the corner faster. Many times I arrived at a second and third feature on a known trail and arrived with much more heat - some features took on new rolls or projected me to new areas of the track. I found it to jump really well, and I could change direction well. Drops were sublime. And then, head to the steeper stuff and this bike shines even brighter. Wow. Steeper chutes and faster stuff are another league.

On my own trails and for me, I am a lot faster on this than any of the other 5 bikes I have tested. The bike has so much potential that I haven't yet tapped into or fully exploited it. All I know is that this is a super fast bike. It's not a plow bike and I managed to bunny hop all of the logs I usually do, however the back wheel did clip two on the way down. Reminding me it is longer, but it isn't as compromised as you might think, I can still pop and hop about, perhaps with a little less flourish and lease ease than the Solo.

I let two of my friend at the LBS ride it as well, both are much better riders than I. One, podiums in DH races and the other, in Enduro and XC races, will podium as well. Just saying, they have skills where in comparison, I don't.

The DH guy has a V10C and a Bronson C. He came back and simply said, "I want one, I think it's better than my Bronson". The other guy (LBS owner) just said, "it's crazy fast and surprisingly nimble" he also complained that the bike's speed was eye watering on many of his trails, he was limited because he wasn't wearing goggles.

And to confirm, I agree with these comments from the professional test rides. These review comments ring true with my early first experiences on the bike:

Quote Vitalmtb,
    I agree, this thing can rally:
    "Mondraker says they made this ride capable of pedaling up and rallying down, and rally we did! In fact, this may have been the most rally-able all-mountain bike we've ever ridden…"

"The Forward Geometry offered by the Mondraker Foxy XR creates a bike that wants to be ridden really, really hard, and can to be to a point."

I have upgrade my rear shock to a Float X, a noticeable and worthy improvement.

"This comes with a price, though, as the rear suspension may not keep up for riders that use the bike to its full potential (we're talking DH speeds here, because the bike will allow it").

A couple of these guys didn't like how it climbed. I had no issue with how it climbed, and my experience was like some other reviewers.

Quote Bikeradar

I found it climbs tech really wheel. Switch backs didn't bother me, and in fact, the extra poise helped me.

"The bike seems to loves climbing as there's no front wheel lift, and once you're used to the length it's not much harder work on slow turns."

Yes, it is fast. And the grip is amazing. Even on flat corners or trails with 1 or 2 degree elevation drop, it is blisteringly quick into and out of turns.

"But steep terrain is the environment where it really excels: the steeper and faster the better, in fact. With the front wheel so far in front, the amount of weight you can put on it for grip is incredible, allowing you to rail turns at speeds that will have you questioning your ability"

Yep, this bike challenges you in a good way.

I note this bike isn't for everyone, but it sure does suit me and how I like to ride. I tend to weight the front a lot anyway, the bike is definitely a nice riding experience for me. It may not suit everyone, especially if you are coming off a steeper XC geometry for example.
    I've only had a handful of rides so far, but I can't wait to explore some more.

Name:	Mondraker_7.JPG 
Views:	1670 
Size:	412.1 KB 
ID:	875966

Here's a wrap for the Mondraker's Foxy XR. A potent bike indeed.

A con: will it fit into my bike bag for my NZ Queenstown trip - I hope so, might be tight but I'm going

Cheers
    Nice review.

I see you bought from Alta in Queentown awesome, they have full Mondraker range for sale and rentals Summuns galore for the Gondala aye.

Foxy would have been awesome down there btw, hope ya had a vehicle to get around to Wanaka, Sticky Forest Deans bank, Alexandra etc, 7 Mile 12 mile, hope you rode Corotown that trail is off the hook, I've ridden a lot of NZ trail and thats by far my favorite, that and Sticky forest, Pedal or Die trail, perfect for the Mondraker!

Also ditch that Fox shock, jmo btw its still ok, but I rode a Dune XR and std base Dune with RS Monarch R and it kills the Fox in fact the Pike RC killed the Fox 34 Factory fit fork, my mate rides a std Dune with the RS above and loves it, heck I love it and its the base model, hes upgrading the drive train brakes and then hes got a killer rig.

Very nice work WK too, bikes looks killer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Mav.

Yeah the standard Fox is just that, standard. The Float X was a noticeable improvement. I have a BOS Kirk lying around, perhaps I should give that a try.

We got stuck in at Queenstown. We hired Jono at Queenstown Bike Taxi - great service and a top bloke. He helped us to really smash out some trails. We even let him have a ride to join in on the stoke. We drove the shuttle for him on one occasion, good to see the shuttle guy run wide on a corner, because we were warmed up, had sighting runs and he was cold. You gotta take the advantage over the local while you have a slim window Of course there was lots of running wide and casing to be had....

We got to do Remarkables, Wynards, Dirt Park (how good is the Cardrona pub for lunch), a mega back trail over the back and out, Gondola, Alexandra (Entrails was fun - thanks Jono for teeing up a guide), Big Clyde and Little Clyde (another great pub), Rude rock, Coro peak, Skippers, Zoots and more Gondola of course - we did an off the park trail, out the back and up into some yummy ungroomed areas, found some nice steep loam - ended up with a 900+m drop back to Q'town - very sweet.

We will definitely be going back to Queenstown, however we have just booked a trip to Rotorua and 440 - have to try the Foxy out here first before coming back to Q'town.

Cheers

Mtb Guide
    Thanks Mav.

Yeah the standard Fox is just that, standard. The Float X was a noticeable improvement. I have a BOS Kirk lying around, perhaps I should give that a try.

We got stuck in at Queenstown. We hired Jono at Queenstown Bike Taxi - great service and a top bloke. He helped us to really smash out some trails. We even let him have a ride to join in on the stoke. We drove the shuttle for him on one occasion, good to see the shuttle guy run wide on a corner, because we were warmed up, had sighting runs and he was cold. You gotta take the advantage over the local while you have a slim window Of course there was lots of running wide and casing to be had....

We got to do Remarkables, Wynards, Dirt Park (how good is the Cardrona pub for lunch), a mega back trail over the back and out, Gondola, Alexandra (Entrails was fun - thanks Jono for teeing up a guide), Big Clyde and Little Clyde (another great pub), Rude rock, Coro peak, Skippers, Zoots and more Gondola of course - we did an off the park trail, out the back and up into some yummy ungroomed areas, found some nice steep loam - ended up with a 900+m drop back to Q'town - very sweet.

We will definitely be going back to Queenstown, however we have just booked a trip to Rotorua and 440 - have to try the Foxy out here first before coming back to Q'town.

Cheers
    Thats what I would put on but I was blown away by the std RC Monarch Plus too. Still feel Fox rides too deep in travel, well it did for my liking on the M6, maybe different on the Mondraker, look forward to hearing how the Kirk goes, should be an awesome match for the Pike and Foxy.

Awesome you hooked up with Jono, he is a great guy, sounds like ya hit all the good places with him and fun times haha good one.

Casings good lol Enves can handle it though

Hey Im based in Rotorua, check out my FB link below, let me know or email me via my website/FB if interested, also link below, I guide [TopGunBiking]and can take you to all the best places including taking you to 440 day trip etc so you can base yourself in RotoVegas for example and do a Jono with me if works for ya.

I can pick you and crew whoever up from where ever ya fly into, if Aussie we get direct flights to here, BTW our bikepark may or may not be open by then too on Skylines Gondala on Mt Ngongotaha siteof the 2006 World DH/4X/XC World Champs, tracks up they're looking mint!

Check out vid of our Sprint Warrior race earlier this year @ RotoVegas bike festival week!

Just to wet the Whistle.

Must dos
    440 AK
    RotoVegas
    Whaka or Redwoods right in town edge of town can show you all the bets trails and loops here too bud.
    Moerangi
    Rainbow Mtn
    Taupo doing a Recce tomorrow down there for some new TGB style trails braap.
    No obligation btw just option if ya interested,

Keep updating the thread be interested in ya thoughts on testing out the 10mm as well.

Cheers WK

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Mav, Yeah that wets the whistle pretty much.

We might take you up on some of your offers there mate.

We've been to Roto before and have done Taupo and Moerangi as well.

We'd love to check out some of the "local" Roto trails though. In the past we have done Sesame street and we know there is more to it.

Anyway, thanks for the tip re doing 440 from a Roto base. We might set down in Roto and then day trip 440, makes accommodation a little easier.

We shall talk soon.

Cheers

W

Mtb Guide
    Sweet as mate, let me know sometime ya dates, def show you some secret and other goodness! 440 def aye.

Trails as running mint as at mo too!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Cool, thanks Mav.

We might tee up a shuttle from Roto to 440 then. We are coming in March (long way off I know - but with wives, you need to give them time huh), and to confirm, we all have booked our flights - see you over there soon enough.

Yeah the weather has been nuts here, the best couple of montsh of riding weather ever - cool dry and easy riding. Not much sighting of winter here yet.

Cheers
    W

Mtb Guide
    Cool, thanks Mav.

We might tee up a shuttle from Roto to 440 then. We are coming in March (long way off I know - but with wives, you need to give them time huh), and to confirm, we all have booked our flights - see you over there soon enough.

Yeah the weather has been nuts here, the best couple of montsh of riding weather ever - cool dry and easy riding. Not much sighting of winter here yet.

Cheers
    W
    No worries mate, sounds awesome, we have had storms rain winds of the like not seen for a few years, but our riding is still off the hook, I maintain a few of our black diamond trails here, I cleared up two tracks, I am the adoptee for, just cutting back ferns to let light and air flow into the track during our winter period, keeps the debris down and the tracks dry this time of year and minimum erosion and after a week of stormy weather it's running pretty good, now its mint perfect ground is tacky grippy bike stays dry no mud, so be off to ride today.

By time you get here you probably will have a carbon Foxy aye, our bike park and 440 will have even more tracks by then too and so will we, so it will be quiet different since ya last visit sure we can show you some back country epic for the Foxy to plus give the women plenty to do and keep them very happy will you're skiving off ridin, lol

Keep us updated on ya bike progression updates buddy

Like my FB large to stay updated by buddy.
    cheers

mtbr member
    hi guys,

i took the plunge and went for a foxy xr carbon frame set in extra large (i did a few test rides before i committed!!), running pikes up front, 30mm stem with 740mm bars, xt 1x10 drivetrain, superstar tactic am wheels and zee brakes...couldn't be happier!!

it absolutely rips; the first time i hit the trails it definitely felt a bit different but really really fast and confidence inspiring!!

thanks for your help!

Mtb Guide
    hi guys,

i took the plunge and went for a foxy xr carbon frame set in extra large (i did a few test rides before i committed!!), running pikes up front, 30mm stem with 740mm bars, xt 1x10 drivetrain, superstar tactic am wheels and zee brakes...couldn't be happier!!

it absolutely rips; the first time i hit the trails it definitely felt a bit different but really really fast and confidence inspiring!!

thanks for your help!
    Awesome Alex, def worth taking time to get used to, but I also found while very different I was already riding faster from the get go the adj was as much to the speed, amazing cornering ability, pop jump over anything, no bike Ive ever ridden jumps like these things its amazing.
    They are unique which is what I like, with so many SC, Pivots, just turns me off, great bikes and brands but same.

I should qualify, Im riding a Dune XR, Summun Pro Team, my mate is on a Dune base both bad ass!
    I will run both the 10mm and 30mm stem, I guide as a business and race Enduro/DH and rep (RoyalRacing/Mondraker bikes) so big bases to cover. im going to setup the 30mm stem though with a high rise carbon bar, probably a 40mm Rentahl carbon DH, reason is i like my stack high
    but running the 10mm stem means you need to cut yohr steerer enough to get it low enough to be balanced and have enough steerer tube to run the 30mm stem and have a clamping surface so beware .

Only thing with specc on complete models, that is disapointing is Fox and Formula.

Icemans base Dune with Monarch Plus R is way way better than my Float X factory fit
    shock and RC fork was better than the 34 Float /14 and 15 variants by along way.
    CTD for me is crap, the Float sits too low in its travel, is too busy, the Monarch is plush
    soft off top yet supportive and dam fast to ride,
    I dont get pedal strikes on the Monarch! FloatX has cost me some time and
    nearly some bad crashes, 34 well its a good fork since they improved it, but its not a Pike!

This was our setup at a recent event we raced at, as a team for 10hrs, all shuttled up and
    mandatory runs/ trails and DH courses to tick off each lap, half being Enduro and half DH.
    Then after these boxes are checked you do as many runs as possible on what ever bike
    track you want, so stuffed now though, tiday is the day after.

We never suffered a mechanical and I felt better as the day went on, got mentally tired
    towards the end but body felt good, usually both go, so can only attribute this to the bikes
    as I have done this event and trails many times.

Cant wait to the Foxy carbons arrive we have a container on the water now!

Event 10hrs riding Mondraker/Royal

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I am curious how the 10mm stem performs compared to the 30mm. For the 30mm, you may actually need to go a frame size down. I wish there was a Mondraker dealer in the US so I could actually compare these things. If anyone has some feedback on the 10mm stem, I'd love to hear it; particularly if there are any handling quirks from it.

Mtb Guide
    I am curious how the 10mm stem performs compared to the 30mm. For the 30mm, you may actually need to go a frame size down. I wish there was a Mondraker dealer in the US so I could actually compare these things. If anyone has some feedback on the 10mm stem, I'd love to hear it; particularly if there are any handling quirks from it.
    I have both, when im guiding the 30mm is preferable as allot of backcountry climbing and long day in the saddle, for my general riding 5mins from town where these piccs are taken, Im loving the 10mm stem.

Climbing fireroads is easier than my old bike with a 50mm stem but on the way down, holyshitballs its fun.

The way I describe it, like a DH bike going down and a long travel XC bike going up, uphill switch backs have never been so easy and this bike has
    1232mm = 48 1⁄2in, online site is incorrect btw, typo mistake on Mondrakers website and catalogue.

No handling quirks for me, but it took me a couple of runs to dial it in, it does feel different initally, more so going down because its so responsive, and you are foing so much faster and entering corners quicker, its easy to ride over the back like old style and unweight the front, this is a mistake, ride center like you should or even aggressive on the front and the traciton, grip is insane, cornering will freak you out, you will flinch before the bikes does.

My buddy followed me down a trail today, demoing the Red base model, btw he now wants one, I was full drift into switch backs, he said I was corneing at speed, like Ivan Mauger, speedway style he is a NZ speedway legend and a 13 time World Speedway champion, I took that as a pretty big compliment, esspecially since Ive never done that before on this trail.

Even then I was clipping back in and accelrating out of the corners effortlessly and amazed mysefl with the pace, the Zero loss linkage is way smoother than any DWL link bike Ive ridden, what I have come off, with a DH air shock too.

Interestingly enough the demo rider on the medium said at the end of the trail he would likely choose the 10mm stem over the 30, this surprised me maybe it was how I was riding in front of him or what he felt when he had a quick spin on mine and liked the feel, many do not like the look, but it really works.

The other thing mainly re the bike is its so responsive yet smooth, it smooths out trail that my DWL bike never could or did and I have very good suspension front and rear, it just boosts over jumps yet you can pedal through stuff other bikes would bounce
    lose traction over and actually lose control, just so impressed.

Just forget what it looks like, but do be careful, to run the 10mm stem and get the stack height right means you need to cut the steerer down,,
    Otherwise you wont be able to switch between the too stems, the 10mm stack adj requires you remove the bar as well, I will likely run a 40mm Renthal DH carbon bar when using the 30mm stem to maintain my preferred bar height, the 39mm is slammed in the headset with mine when I swap out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Awesome Maverick! That makes me excited, lol. Have you ridden a Foxy yet? If so, how does it compare to the Dune?

Mtb Guide
    Awesome Maverick! That makes me excited, lol. Have you ridden a Foxy yet? If so, how does it compare to the Dune?
    Not allot of time, like the Foxy too, cant wait to try a new Carbon Foxy that really interests me, though not keen on all the remote stuff shock fork, not needed when you have a decent damper and I like unclutter, bit oldschool, keeping it simple, bike wise this is how Ive wanted bikes for the last 20years, I came from a Motox BMX background, so these bikes are exactly what Ive been preaching for all that time haha.

I can only imagine the Foxy would be a shorter travel version of the Dune, snappy, the Dune is snappy and very light to ride, even the base model, the dude currently rides a pimped out Transition Covert and kept saykng how light the base model rides, which has heavy wheels and components, we are pimping it out with a Raceface narrow wide 32t front ring, e13 42t in the rear on a 10spd Sram cassette, X9 clutch Rd and SLX brakes, bars are acutally a nice bend, and love the OnOff grips.

BTW OnOff Sheild pedals are super sick too.
    Pedals | ONOFF Components 2013

Foxy will be sick as, I also ride a Summun Pro Team, man that thing is insane, insanely fast ,insanely fun, insanely insane, never ridden a DH bike like it, I clear stuff I struggled on my V10c without trying and amkn the gass before I land, its so stable upon landing, pedal out of corners.
    Got to be careful though I've nearly clipped my pedals on the ground a few times as low BB, Dune the same, I will likely put 170mm RaceFace Next SLs on, just for added clearance.

I should stop highjacking Wills thread put up a new one once Ive changed a few bits out.

Just living these bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Haha, yeah, thanks man! You've given me great information. I can't wait to get one of these bikes myself. I was looking at those pedals as well. They are actually made by a company called HT components.

PM me the link to your own thread if you make one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow a carbon Foxy, mate you have reached the pinnacle right there. Congratulations alex, show us a picture when you can.

Ride it and get in the groove, it will amaze you some more.

Go steeper than you have ever done as well, it's soo confident.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Those Dunes look awesome Maverick. I have a soft spot for the green one, I reckon that looks very smart. It was a toss up between a green Dune and a Foxy for me, but the Foxy suited my at home trails better. And as it is super capable, it is fine for my NZ riding to.

I have just upgraded my Pike with some French valving and it is a completely new fork (not that it was bad, I was just servicing and experimenting you might say) - off the charts good actually. I can knock out 10 psi and still have better mid support. It is a super fork now and the bike has stepped up some more for me. The front grip and feel is enhanced and on known trails I'm arriving at features so much quicker than before - it's like trail chatter makes it faster now. Can't wait to take this one to NZ.

Anyway, myself and some buddies are still on for NZ, as I have said, we have booked the flights, so see you in March if your available. We'll firm up some arrangements closer to.

Cheers

W

Mtb Guide
    Those Dunes look awesome Maverick. I have a soft spot for the green one, I reckon that looks very smart. It was a toss up between a green Dune and a Foxy for me, but the Foxy suited my at home trails better. And as it is super capable, it is fine for my NZ riding to.

I have just upgraded my Pike with some French valving and it is a completely new fork (not that it was bad, I was just servicing and experimenting you might say) - off the charts good actually. I can knock out 10 psi and still have better mid support. It is a super fork now and the bike has stepped up some more for me. The front grip and feel is enhanced and on known trails I'm arriving at features so much quicker than before - it's like trail chatter makes it faster now. Can't wait to take this one to NZ.

Anyway, myself and some buddies are still on for NZ, as I have said, we have booked the flights, so see you in March if your available. We'll firm up some arrangements closer to.

Cheers

W

Cheers man such awesome bikes am blown away, unlike anything Ive ever owned or ridden, ridden allot of sick bikes, and mines not even pimped out yet.

Foxy is sick mate, best to ride what suits your home trails, you can easily choose wither here, Dune is so much fun, unlike any 27.5" bike Ive ridden to date or any bike, yet everyone who rides it says it feels natural.

Keen to hear more and how I can do this valving tune to the Pike, that sounds awesome dude ,let us know who how what haha.

Yep have you guys all dotted in for that time period so I will have your backs, and make it a trip of a lifetime, we have so much new stuff happening its off the hooks. News trails completed, check out below links to vids, sic as super tech, Katatore has been open for a few months now top of Billy T to Blue lake and prob my fav run, swim at the end in the thermal lake, stunning in summer, March here peak summer, so u guys will love it.

2 more stages are planned for further track development so maybe even more tracks will be built by then too.

Be awesome mate.
    let us know when closer to time, month or so maybe even earlier Jan as it will be busy here, gets busier every year, I can sort out pickup drop offs, run you guys where eve, accommodation etc to suit what ever you need,don't be afraid to make use of local knowledge to meet your needs even if you been here before, just tell me what you want need, if ya want.

Bikepark opening next month
    Skyline Rotorua Mountain Biking | Open Times | Things to do in Rotorua

Kung Fu Walrus
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00000179690063

New trail, yet to be completed and named.
    https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...35451396475539

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi folks,

Looking at getting a Foxy. Anyone seen a size guide. I'm 5f 11 - nearly 6ft with MTB shoes on. Just wondering what size frame to get. Currently riding a medium yeti asr5 but with a layback post and 90mm stem which is spot on.

Any advice would be apprecaited

Cheers

oli

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    Hi folks,

Looking at getting a Foxy. Anyone seen a size guide. I'm 5f 11 - nearly 6ft with MTB shoes on. Just wondering what size frame to get. Currently riding a medium yeti asr5 but with a layback post and 90mm stem which is spot on.

Any advice would be apprecaited

Cheers

oli
    Hi Oli, my 2c here,

Im the same height, I ride a large Dune and a Large Summun btw.

Ive ridden the Yeti 575 not an ASR in medium with a 80mm stem fully pimped XTR model for a day a few years back for me way too short, did not enjoy that day at all.

Ive also ridden the Medium Dune!

Medium Mondraker Foxy or Dune, with the std 30mm FG stem feels very good for me, Imcould ride a medium happily, which is something I cant do on non FG bikes, that said Imthinkmit caomes down to how you ride and you need to be jonest to yourself anyone on this.

I love the large and riding both back to back no way would I choose the medium over the large, the more I ride it the more fun and more benefits I find with the Mondraker philosophy of wheelbase, zero loss suspension design and fwd Geo esspecially with the short stem.

Nkw Ive always always been looking for something like this ever since I started riding mtb back in the 90s, im a Downhiller, Moto guy, whomdid road road, XC, endurance in middle part of my career, but always came back to this, explain this as, I havent seen you ride, where you ride and dont know you personality, all things i think are important to a bike choice and believe it or not sizing.

If you are the style of rider like most, who jump on a bike, rarely check settings, dont crae if your brake levers are out by a mm etc then Medium and a 30mm will be sweet.

If you are like me, notice when, 2 psi is missing in your fork the moment you throw a leg over, brake lever is moved or someone has touched your rebound by one click, ride aggressive, ride down a trail looking flr things to boost off while everyone ride the main line, go large, choose both the 10mm FG stem and a 30mm FG stem and go play the smile will hurt after a few hours.
    with this setup if building a frame Id also consider 170mm cranks over 175mm, reason is I find myself pedalling more aggressive than I have on any other bike setup, out of corners over crap because the bike is so responsive, the rear is so good that the traction to pedal when others are breaking traction is so great, I'm clipping things more often, sag is correct too.

Having ridden the base model Dune specced with Pike RC and Monarch R
    both the fork and shock especially is superior in every way over the Fox Factory ctd Float X and Fork this isn't even a debate, I have had 3 others ride these bikes back to back and they all say the same thing, man that thing feels great, but I prefer the shock on the red bike.

Specs guys/gals,imo for Foxy or Dune

170mm cranks over 175mm
    Try both stems one as a backup, 10/30mm FGs
    Monarch Plus rear shock over FloatX if possible
    Ditch the Formula Brakes, or building up don't buy Formulas

Oli the other thing is normally Geo numbers give some idea how a bike will behave, Mondraker (thank you Fabian Barrel) have really got this dialled and imo/e have cottoned onto something subtle ground breaking in MTB design

I hope this helps some.
    I reckon you should go large, it would be a mistake and ruin the bike imo to run layback post and long stem kn this bike

Btw is it a Carbon Foxy! That would be sick.

Mtb Guide
    Also, I have had the same experience with the DH rig the Summun

Normally a longer wheelbase might mean slower turning, less responsive bike, harder to manual wheelie, jump etc, not here, its the exact opposite, Ive never had so much fun on a bike, last night I was doing some scouting for our club Maintenance day with a trail adoptee to work out what she wanted to work on with the volunteers, its a easy intermediate trail Green, and I was riding old lines that were off the edge of the track from years back currently covered by ferns etc, boosting drops, wheeling through corners between Redwoods, popping manuals etc I had a blast.

My good friend who imports Mondraker who Will has met, rides a large XR Foxy and a medium Summun, he thought I was mad to ride a large Summun but thankfully my gut instinct proved right and I choose correctly, the large Summun is just as much a beast and fun to ride as the Dune.

We have a Blue trail locals call Jumps trail right beside our DH track, Little Red riding huck s1 and s2 Huckleberry Hound, when I say jumps its a Foxy Dune type MTB trail, Will would have ridden it which is pretty fun, my first ride on the Summun was down here, after 3 corners in I just went for it the beast slayed corners like Ive never ridden them before, coming off a large V10c I have never been able to do this the way the Summun shredded them and its over an inch and a half longer in reach and wheelbase than my V10c was.

No where is the V10 a match for this beast and Ive found the same with the Dune.

Check out this cid of the jumps trail. Foxy with 160mm will love this, Dune slays it.

Video: Little Red Riding Huck - Rotorua, New Zealand - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I've seen that video before! That trail looks awesome! The Giant Trance 27.5 in there is what I am riding now. I'm just not quite happy enough with it. So I plan to sell it and build up a Mondraker Foxy XR. Yes, I also think I'm gonna go with a 170mm crank this time. And yes, Fox shocks and forks seem to be pretty bad. I'm getting my ideal spec together and will probably build it over the winter. I'm so excited!

mtbr member
    Here's a pic of my Foxy Carbon, I've got a few tweaks to make but really happy so far...this thing absolutely rips!!

Full spec...
    Foxy Carbon XR Frameset (size XL)
    Rockshox Pike RTC3 Solo Air 160mm
    Fox Float CTD Remote LV Boost Valve Factory Kashima 200x57mm
    Shimano Zee Brakes
    Shimano Zee rear shifter
    Shimano XT 1x10 drivetrain with Race Face 32T narrow wide chainring
    XT Shadow+ rear mech
    Shimano DX pedals (not pictured)
    Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post
    Selle Italia Saddle
    Renthal Fatbar Carbon Lite 740mm bars
    Stoic OnOff 30mm stem
    Superstar Tactic rims with Tesla Evo Hubs
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Rocket Ron
    Superstar SuperGrippa grips

I think thats all...loving it so far

Oli / anyone interested...i've recently spent hours trawling the internet and collating peoples opinions on sizing and now i'm a foxy owner i thought i'd throw mine in!!

...at 5'11/6ft i reckon a Large will suit but thats just my initial thought...i'm 6'1.5" ish / 188cm and have an XL with a 30mm stem, 740mm bars with the saddle set in the middle of its fore/aft travel, i was torn between the L and XL for a while and could have probably got away with a L but i've ridden bikes that have been too small for me before and have suffered because of it...the reach/ett etc of the XL Foxy was nearly exactly the same as my old bike which fitted like a glove so if you have any sort of reference i.e. an old bike that fits well, trust the numbers, it worked for me plus i had the luxury of test riding both sizes so i could make sure i was right before i committed.

this bike feels so good - really light and snappy, it jumps, manuals and pops so much better than anything else i've ridden, i can't pin a single negative to the long wheel base/forward geometry, there are only positives.

i've heard guys that will say a slightly smaller bike will feel lighter and more chuckable and i don't disagree but given the choice i'd definitely aim for bike that fits bang on...like i said i reckon i could have squeezed onto a Large but would've regretted it in the long run...just my opinion!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-dscf6968.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cheer boys.

Its great when some fellow riders spare some time to share a few thoughts so thanks. I have the possiblity of a large Foxy XR that has come up for sale (not local to me unfortuntaley) with a set of Pikes. Sounds like the large is the one to go for. Mesaured myself again last night and i';m actually 6ft dead on so probably slightly taller with my mtb shoes on. Its always a tricky height as often between sizes. I was on the Yeti and actually wish i had gone large now. I cant really fit an inline dropper post as the bike will end up being too short so i recon large is the way to go. I would love the carbon. Looks amazing. As this will be a wheel size chnage i recon ill build the XR up and then next year perhaps go carbon - if i can justify it . 170 crank is a good call. Cant wait. I love building a new bike as much as i look foward to riding it once its built. Just need to source a monarch plus shock.

Oli

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can i just ask what size Monarch Plus shock is required. Also how does the 30mm stem ride compared to the 10mm

Oli

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    By the way Alex how do you find the superstar rims. The guy who has the frame is also selling these. Never had superstar rims before

mtbr member
    i'm liking them a lot so far, pretty light (sorry i don't have figures) nice and stiff and really quick engagement. they seem to be well made, I've given them a fair thrashing but no where near enough to comment on their longevity, also the tires were easy enough get on which is a plus...personally i think they look awesome and they're an absolute bargain!

mtbr member
    maverick, on the subject of 10/30mm stems are they interchangeable? what i mean is currently my 30mm stem allows my bars to sit in front of the steerer tube but if i tried a 10mm stem the bars would sit on top making them much higher unless i cut the steerer tube down but then wouldn't be able to fit the 30mm?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Alex. What have you got the pikes set at? 160?

If so how does the foxy ride at 160 rather than 140?

Oli

mtbr member
    the pikes are simply awesome on the trails and the foxy rides very well at 160mm plus the geometry is slackened slightly which can never be a bad thing! i have the solo airs so no option to adjust travel, my last forks (fox talas) were adjustable between 120 and 150 and i had them permanently at 150, i also never lock them...when i got my talas' a few years ago they seemed massive but now i couldn't imagine having less than 160mm - coupled with the foxy they just let you push you harder and faster!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice bike Alex84, well done mate. A real ripper right there.

Cheers
    W

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My M XR Carbon frame has arrived, starting build today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Woohoo! Good news indeed. You're in trouble now....

Mtb Guide
    Stunner Alex btw.

maverick, on the subject of 10/30mm stems are they interchangeable? what i mean is currently my 30mm stem allows my bars to sit in front of the steerer tube but if i tried a 10mm stem the bars would sit on top making them much higher unless i cut the steerer tube down but then wouldn't be able to fit the 30mm?
    You need to make sure you measure very carefully your steerer length, before cutting.

For me I like high bars Fabian style setup as I find it feels more natural for climbing and helps weight the front properly without overbearing body language, hard to do with fwd Geo, but it not only works its awesome.

Key here is to forget all you know about bikes that have std geometry or past and what it looks like.

Trust it, ride it the first few times will take a while for the natural body to set so your weight balance on the bike becomes natural.

I run 1 x 10mm spacer and 1 x 15mm spacer, 15mm in total below my 10mm stem, this stem bolts directly into the steerer star nut, it does not use a headset cap.

With the 30mm stem its flush with the Mondraker headset cup cover and you use a steer cap as you know.

Don't worry about the higher stack, try it you will be surprised, but one ride is not enough, Im pretty much all but done with the 30mm stem, I will use it at times with a 40mm rise bar to get the same bar height, but I love the 10mm setup so much, up down around I don't care what people think it looks like, its really something else, well for me at-least, and carving corners is unbelievable.

For those looking at buying a frame re sizing.

I would say this, if you just fit a medium and 30mm is comfortable but you are looking for longer, eg its on the smaller size for you, 10mm might be too short, for me I see too many setups where people are on too smaller frame, seat-posts super high for the size, low stacks, if you are in between sizes go large and don't look back,,same with small, go Medium, but only if on cusp of frame being small, don't fit longer stems!!

This is due to people comparing they're old bikes, you can only use that so far, a XC bike for example is no comparison for a Trail bike or Enduro or Dh bike and vice versa.
    Its not just about static numbers, its about centre balance point of the, front and centre where your feet are on the bike, this is all affected as you go up in travel and quite different brand to brand.

Dont hesitate to play around first, keep the stack a little higher initially so you have room to play around with, measure twice cut once, I try to leave as much steerer as possible. You can move spacers around but you cant easily out back steerer tubes!

Notice the stem stack on my friends Red Mondy!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Starting the build

Routed DOSS via forward derailleur routing, should work ok

Waiting on wheels now from wheelbuilder, things to do, bleed rear brake, chop the chain, then ride, i guess.

Mtb Guide
    Looking so good Sak, also good to see an XFusion fork for a change, I am a big fan of them, frame looks so gorgeous!

congrats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yes, it is very nice looking frame live, pics don't do it justice

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Maverick, now you've got me considering a Dune instead. I have a 140mm Trance 27.5 right now and I feel like I could probably use a bit more travel as I've bucked a few times despite softer settings and I tend to prefer a slightly softer setup anyway. I do have a few concerns about it though. One being that it has a 5mm higher BB height/center of gravity compared to the Foxy XR, which is a full inch (25mm) higher than my current bike so it may feel a bit too high? I was also looking forward to using the 10mm stem but with the shorter reach of the Dune, I'd probably have to go with the 20 or 30mm stem (I am also 6 feet tall). And lastly, I wonder how it climbs compared to the Foxy. Some reviews have said it can be a bit mushy but I'm thinking I can probably tune most of that out with the BOS Kirk shock.

I saw on another post of yours that you've ridden several 160mm bikes. How would you say the Dune compares to other 160mm bikes when climbing? How about to other 140mm bikes you've ridden (preferably the Trance 27.5 if you've ridden it). Sorry if I'm being redundant here. I wish I could just have a thorough test ride on these things myself but I'd have to import them so there will be no testing before purchasing so I need to gain as much info as I can. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    New foxy has forward geometry so it is not really comparable to short front-triangled trailbike, also Foxy has very low HA with 160mm fork..

Hopefully i get mine done today and there won't be heavy thunderstorms so i can ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hi, can you tell me which parts come with the frameset? Are the stems included? Headset?
    Also, will it be possible to put in a Monarch Plus or Fox Float X (or maybe Bos Kirk?)
    If so, which shock size will fit?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Headset, 30mm FG stem, parts for the shock remote included, frame (BB area) and chainstay protectos are pre-installed, BB/downtube guard is carbon and chainstay protector is moulded rubber/plastic. ISCG05 mounted frame protector is also pre-installed, i removed this since i run MRP taco, i say frame since this small alu disc wont prevent any hits to chainring

Dunno about piggyback shock, would require testing, there is no specific space made for reservoir on downtube for it and i don't have those shocks at hand to test clearance, i don't know is alu frame different in this regard?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Thank you! Do you know the size if the shock or can measure it for me? Would be great!
    Have you put your frame on a scale and have a weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I think it is same as alu one, 200x57 so nothing different there, didn't weigh it on scale, but when i got it out from the box didn't feel heavy at all so i think 2.5 / 2.4kg with shock is pretty accurate.

Oh yeah, seat collar is included too i forgot about that one.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you!
    If only I could make a testride with the Foxy Carbon but that won't be possible over here I think.
    How tall are you to decide going for a medium? I am 184cm and from the numbers a medium would be okay for me too but I think mondraker will suggest a large for me. But that reach numbers and wheelbase are veeeeery long...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast