Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Finally got mine from Customs and the lovely people at UPS who did a crap job. Thank god I never got hit for any $$ from the government and UPS.

My fork showed up the next day. I went with a 160 Pike solo air. Got to get the headset in so I can start to build it. Now just need to sell my santa cruz frame to buy some wheels.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0717.jpg  

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0713.jpg  

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0714.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome. I'm building the same frame up at the moment

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    Just borrowed another shock pump & found the variation was 20 lbs both RS pumps. So mine may well be reading low.
    My pump is not right either so I set the shock by feeling. With a smooth bump compliance, the shock was too deep into the travel, making the ride harsh after successive fast bumps. Adding the volume reducer for my weight and aggressive ride style, I am extremely happy with the Fox CTD Shock. Unless I start riding downhill parks more than once a year, the bike is perfect for my trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Hi all, am working my way through this thread with great interest!! I hope this doesn't appear lazy as I work my way through, but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Foxy carbon bike from Europe and there's a couple of things I'd like to know if possible - my intention is to change a few of the parts including drive train, brakes, etc. I was mulling over going for the XR carbon fame but I may well go for a complete build.
    Am I able to run a triple on this bike - I'm interested in a 22/30/40 setup. I've seen something about a removable front mech mount but can't see any further detail - the bike I'd be buying comes with a 1X setup. In the event it's not supplied with the removable front mech mount, does anyone know if this would this be available as a spare, I can't see it on the Mondy or UK distributors website?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Great frame depeche4.

Have you weighed it?
    Would like to know the weight. Is it a size medium?
    Where did you get blue pikes?

Keep us updated on the build.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey Yamaha,

have not weighed it yet, might get around to that today but I have hockey this afternoon.
    Got the Blue Pike from a store in Germany. Color is a little off from the frame color but that is ok. Everything is sort of good to put together. Sold some parts off my santa cruz so I got a set of xtr trail brakes, the new ones for 2015 and the new trail cranks.
    The wheels are the big deal. I would like to get carbon nox's with I9's but I keep watching the Canadian dollar drop the price of those keep going towards the 2000 grand range. I might decide to go with the Syntace 35's since the hub is bomb proof just not sure if the rim is super stiff.

dave

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have the Mondraker Foxy Carbon R. Which would be the first upgrade to this bike? I am mainly looking forward to reduce weight and attain an increase in performance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    thats a nice looking build depeche4. Been having a hoot on my foxy r have set numerous P.B's on strava and they have been in wet/windy conditions compared to the P.B's i on my old bike they were in dry spring/summer conditions. can't wait till next summer now to go even faster!

I have just put some 160mm pikes on my 2014 foxy r today as well , not ridden on them yet but they look way nicer than the old fox forks that were on there.

also after i put the forks on a tightened everything up my front wheel no longer spins freely it looks like the brake pad is rubbing one side of the disc and the wheel won't even rotate twice before stopping. i was careful when changing forks over and don't think i touched the front brake lever but is annoying me. any one got any ideas that i could try?? cheers

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kester View Post
    thats a nice looking build depeche4. Been having a hoot on my foxy r have set numerous P.B's on strava and they have been in wet/windy conditions compared to the P.B's i on my old bike they were in dry spring/summer conditions. can't wait till next summer now to go even faster!

I have just put some 160mm pikes on my 2014 foxy r today as well , not ridden on them yet but they look way nicer than the old fox forks that were on there.

also after i put the forks on a tightened everything up my front wheel no longer spins freely it looks like the brake pad is rubbing one side of the disc and the wheel won't even rotate twice before stopping. i was careful when changing forks over and don't think i touched the front brake lever but is annoying me. any one got any ideas that i could try?? cheers
    hey kester,

what wheelset is on that beauty?

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Pilot, When my AL one came, it had the removable mech attached. I removed it

I would say they come with it, based on the data of one purchase by me...

Not sure about the Carbon version, but looking below, looks like a yes.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey kester, looks great mate. Pike is looking like to belongs. You might have to reset and re-bleed the brakes to make sure of it. Cheers W

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Don't leave us hanging depeche4, where's a complete build picture. Very keen to see the blue lightening bolt. And, have you ridden him yet?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi Dave

I've got the DT Swiss M1900 Spline wheelset that came as standard when i bought the bike, not had any issues with them at all apart from what i mentioned in last post but thats just me being turd. The free-hub makes a nice buzzing sound when you point the bike downwards too!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I had a set of dt's years ago on my santa cruz 4x. Blew the hub up a bunch of times.
    Then again I just did that 2 times on my cross max st's.
    Wheels are a picky thing. I would love to get carbon but they are more than what I paid for the frame.

Anyone have have experience with the DT EX 1501 Spline One? I do like the ratchet system over pawls. At least when when a ratchet has issues it does not mess the rest of the system up like pawls do.

In regards to getting my new ***** built. Just got the headset in today so I can do the fork this weekend. Waiting for my new brakes and the cranks do not come in until next month so this will be a slow work in progress. And considering the 40 cm of snow we got yesterday, it is going to be a long ass winter!

dave

Mtb Guide

Formulas?

You may need to face the fork post mount!
    but loosen off pm bolts squezze lever 5 times hold retighten pm bolts, sometimes you heed to do this
    a few times, also tolerences maybe different or off esp on the Fox and your rotir maybe slightly warped
    use either a rotor truing tool if you have(not expensive to buy and good investment
    rec Park Tool) or use a medium sized cresent!

If bleeding Formulas, Ive had best results winding in the contact pad dial midway when bleeding
    this gives a more Avid type feel in terms of feel not on or off like std Formula feel and also
    prevents too much fluid in system which Ive found to be the main cultprit esp from LBS
    who dont know much about them.

I doubt its much, try the bolts alignment first the work ya way through the less difficult stuff to the bleeding if nessecary.
    sic as bike btw

I dont see any issue to run a triple, but why oh why, everone to theyre own though.

had to add a Dune XR selfie btw
    Ive ridden this thing up some serious narly back country single ting 32t 10mm stem just requires
    fitness strength Ive found the bike climbs better for me with the 10mm vs the 30mm
    the 30mm Im sure would be sweet if darn LBS hadnt cut my steerer so short I like atleast 20mm of stack
    esp on Mondrakers otherwise I find it to XC and over loads front wheel for my style.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice bike Kester.

With the brakes, loosening the 2 bolts just enough so that the caliper will waggle side to side, then squeezing lever and holding it on as you do up the bolts should centre the caliper.

Park tool have a good bike maintenance website If you need to check anything.

Let its know how the longer fork compares to the 140.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love that green and black, looks awesome with the Pike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How do you find those demax's? Are they stiff? How is the free hub body?

dave

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    How do you find those demax's? Are they stiff? How is the free hub body?

dave
    Mavic Enduros, not Dee Maxs, but they are super stiff fast, definietly a Race wheel, maybe not best for everyday use for punters butif you want a fast super stiff strong wheel they seem to match up, Ive come off DT240 Enves and these are ever bit as stiff and the are 27.5" too, love the tires.

Hubs are running sweet, easy to pull apart just did this today for an quick lube and super clean smooth inside so seem to be holding up well.

Spokes are massive, make my Deemaxs on my Summun look spindly, they do mark up though, either rocks or maybe the shuttle bus trailer.

othersise pretty stoked and a 1/3 of the price Enve DT combo.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    cheers Will never tire of it myself

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Re: Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Please comment when you ride the 160 mm fork. The mondraker Enduro team switched to the new marzocchi 160mm fork in the middle of the season and the Spain champion claimed the new fork helped him a lot.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    New stuff is finally starting to show.

I have some nice yellow accent stuff along with a set of the new xtr trail brakes (longer lever 2 fingers) and the trail cranks which are back ordered. Got a nice Hope ceramic bb too. It is nice to sell old stuff to pay for new stuff.

Hopefully Santa gives me some $$ towards new wheels. I have decided to go carbon, more than likely nox but the hub is still up in the air. Thinking about those Stealth ones, I9, Syntace or Kappius.

dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0729.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-20141127_004724.jpg

Picked up my new Foxy XR. Havent had a chance to take her out to the trails yet.

This is the factory build. Still need to change the cranks to my existing XT with narrow wide 1x chainring.

Also first time user of formula brakes. Fingers crossed and hopeful that they are hassle free. The Juicys on a previous bike caused me alot of grief. XT on my existing bike has been hassle free. I'm hopeful the formulas are ok so I dont have to waste $ buying some XTs

So excited to try on my local trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ant View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20141127_004724.jpg 
Views:	3626 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	943154

Picked up my new Foxy XR. Havent had a chance to take her out to the trails yet.

This is the factory build. Still need to change the cranks to my existing XT with narrow wide 1x chainring.

Also first time user of formula brakes. Fingers crossed and hopeful that they are hassle free. The Juicys on a previous bike caused me alot of grief. XT on my existing bike has been hassle free. I'm hopeful the formulas are ok so I dont have to waste $ buying some XTs

So excited to try on my local trails.
    that looks mint! have fun! as for the brakes i've had no issues with mine decent bite and stopping power (never used XT's to compare though) seeing that you have the xr model you get the model up formula brakes from my foxy r so they should be better again.

Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12 View Post
    Please comment when you ride the 160 mm fork. The mondraker Enduro team switched to the new marzocchi 160mm fork in the middle of the season and the Spain champion claimed the new fork helped him a lot.
    Had my first ride with the pikes on and the difference is noticeable especially the small bump sensitivity it feels like riding a magic carpet over some of the bumps! only had the pikes at medium settings so still to dial them in to my liking but things are looking good.
    Also the pikes are much lighter compared to the Fox forks that were on as standard. not weighed them but even to hold you could feel the weight difference between the two which i was surprised at as the pikes are 160mm and 35mm width compared to the fox 140mm and 32mm width.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Kester, do you notice the front end being higher with the longer fork? Has it made a difference to climbing?
    Great pic. Really like the black color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by yamaha46 View Post
    Kester, do you notice the front end being higher with the longer fork? Has it made a difference to climbing?
    Great pic. Really like the black color.
    I recently switched 140mm stock Fox for 150mm Pike. You do notice the difference, but it has not hampered any climbing abilities. But Pike is indeed a massive improvement over 32mm Fox. Can't recommend highly enough.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice Red Ant, enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I love the colours in that picture kester, the moss is growing on the bike, you better ride it faster now..

Mtb Guide
    Hey Will in case ya havent seen already on my facebook page link below, spent a bit of time on the Dune and racing DH @ 440 bike park, place is totally off the hook, summer theyre is going to be mint, had a wet day on the Dune and dry on the DH track racing, so challenging but so mint you are going to love it, I suggest definitel planning on staying at the motorcamp by the beach overnight, 1: because its such a great place, cheap loads of options in terms if accomodation, bunk up in cabins or seperate if partners etc, but shes well worth it and not rushing in case ya want to do it over 2days riding I mean, be less rushing and mire enjoyable option, but only a suggestion its up yo you guys, I can only give you the best options and experience haha.

Bikes looking sic guys, what do you all think of the new carbon Summun eh!

Mtb Guide
    32mm shouldnt even come on that bike imo, 34minimum, Id love to see Mondraker use more RS but that seem to like Fox, little bit of Zocchy and Pike in the Dune range.

I can tell you guys that if the 350 Expresso NCR is as good as the 380 Expresso which Ive ridden then it will be a match and maybe some for the Pike, Pike still wins weight war!

Another fork Id love to try is the XFusion Revel..

Ill be looking to run Zocchi next year on my Team Pro Carbon Summun front and rear, 380 C2R2 Titainium forks and Moto CR2 shocks, ideally get our whole DH team on these too! Very impressed by theyre feel.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anybody got or tried the new 2015 Dune? Feedback would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Oli blue goat, Is yours a L AL frame? If it is, I would tend towards the plus. The front of the bike is so capable, you will benefit from giving it more rear performance.

I just found that the zero suspension pedals nicer all round with better shocks. (an obvious statement now that I look back at it

If you want to treat yourself, do it. If not, you will still love the bike anyway. Good luck.

W
    William, interesting link, thanks. I need to get it translated but they seem to do tunes for BOS as well?

Have you anymore news on what alternative shocks fit a Foxy Carbon? I would be interested to know in particular if a BOS Kirk would fit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    William, interesting link, thanks. I need to get it translated but they seem to do tunes for BOS as well?

Have you anymore news on what alternative shocks fit a Foxy Carbon? I would be interested to know in particular if a BOS Kirk would fit.
    Before you switch the shock, I would try the air volume reducers. I did that to my bike and it's the best $30 investment. No need to pay push industries either. No need for a new shock in the near future. The rear of the bike behaves great.

I have the Foxy Carbon.

mtbr member
    Damn, all of you have made me really curious about the Foxy and Dune...and that usually leads to a new bike...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Foxbat,

you will not regret getting a Mondraker.

dave

mtbr member
    I have a question since I can't seem to find a way to contact Chris Porter directly. His interview in the latest issue of Dirt 100 led me to his "Size Matters" series on MBR - mountain bike rider, Just get out and ride.. There he discusses the modifications of his Foxy Carbon which he raced in the Trans Provence. I've also seen photos of him with a modified Dune that he has been experimenting with.

Why did Chris decide to race the Foxy rather than the Dune in the TP? Many of the stages are steep and rough enough to justify the 160mm rear travel but I get the sense that maybe the pedaling efficiency made the Foxy a better bike for a long multi-day event?

Certainly Chris is an engineer so there must have been a very rational decision made to choose the Foxy. Anyone with time on both the Foxy and Dune care to provide their thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Foxbat

His Dune was the shorter 2014 model, for 2015 they are the same length as the Foxy. Interestingly he is running a 170mm fork on the Carbon Foxy.

I'm trying to decide between the Foxy Carbon and the Dune myself.

mtbr member
    loamranger,

It's not an easy choice. The DH'er in me wants the Dune. Who doesn't want a long travel shredder! But as I think about it more, the Foxy is probably more practical and fun for 80% of the trails I ride here in the PNW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12 View Post
    Before you switch the shock, I would try the air volume reducers. I did that to my bike and it's the best $30 investment. No need to pay push industries either. No need for a new shock in the near future. The rear of the bike behaves great.

I have the Foxy Carbon.
    Thanks for the information. It's just that I can get a new frame with the BOS already fitted for about the same money and I have had really good experiences with BOS to date. I'm glad that things are working for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxbat View Post
    loamranger,

It's not an easy choice. The DH'er in me wants the Dune. Who doesn't want a long travel shredder! But as I think about it more, the Foxy is probably more practical and fun for 80% of the trails I ride here in the PNW.
    Carbon Dune is the answer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It appears that Chris finds a few things that are important in set up, one of those is the BB height for him. The Foxy is a little lower and it has a slightly shorter CS. I suspect that is what drove the final choice.

I had the same dilemma, Dune or Foxy. With those slight differences, the Foxy seemed to be the brighter ride for a broader range of riding - in flatter stuff, trail and downhill. And, 140mm rear is always going to climb better and I have to earn the turns.

As for downs, the geo is so progressive, the capability is impressive. On the extreme end of the spectrum, it can go down stuff that is ridiculously steep. Others will pull out. And if it is loose and steep, fine. I've never weight the front of a bike so much on a steep downs - but slowly the bike draws you out and you find a new bravery. It's an eye opener, while holding your breath and puckering...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Carbon Dune is the answer.
    I thought there was no carbon dune.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    What I want to know is how he got the BB lower on his Foxy. For me the Foxy is very planted, no problems - very fast on flats etc. But I have had lower bikes and I know the feeling and security that can give.

I reckon if I can drop another 5mm or so, I can release some more potential - and have bigger crashes.

How do you think he got some more drop?

W

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    angle head set would do it? no.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    From my experience, I think it would only drop 1mm or 2mm. But my experience is with -1deg, looks like he has tried about - 3 deg. Maybe.

mtbr member
    What I want to know is how he got the BB lower on his Foxy. For me the Foxy is very planted, no problems - very fast on flats etc. But I have had lower bikes and I know the feeling and security that can give.

I reckon if I can drop another 5mm or so, I can release some more potential - and have bigger crashes.

How do you think he got some more drop?

W
    I think the 62.5 deg HA by ways of a 3 deg offset headset is probably contributing to the BB height. He also might be playing with custom offset shock bushings which Mojo fabricates.

mtbr member
    More info here on the modifications:

Chris Porter's Fox Foxy

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    62.5, that is slacker than my Summum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I think the 62.5 deg HA by ways of a 3 deg offset headset is probably contributing to the BB height. He also might be playing with custom offset shock bushings which Mojo fabricates.
    Check this interview:
    DirtTV: Steve Jones talks to Chris Porter about bikes // Mountain Biking Videos on Mpora

He seems to use modified, shorter shocks to lower the rear end, as well.

I have a couple of 190x50mm RP23's, and I have a plan to test the Foxy using that along with a 1.5 degree Angle Set from Work components. Should be interesting, at least for a while.

I really don't understand how he is able to slacken the head angle 3 degrees along with a tapered fork, the maximum available slacksets seems to be limited to 1.5 degrees, with EC44/ZS56 cups.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just wishing!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I would think that both the Dune and Crafty will be in a carbon version at some point soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by OysteinS View Post
    I really don't understand how he is able to slacken the head angle 3 degrees along with a tapered fork, the maximum available slacksets seems to be limited to 1.5 degrees, with EC44/ZS56 cups.
    I am not sure he uses a tapered fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks Foxbat.

I like the sticker "Further Forward Geometry"

Pretty radical set up.

mtbr member
    One Foxy ordered and on it's way across the Atlantic!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    congrats!

you get a frame or complete? where did you get it from?

dave

mtbr member
    Thanks to everyone here sharing their experiences with the Foxy. I ordered a 2015 Foxy Carbon RR from Single Track Bikes in the UK who have been very helpful. With a few part swaps it should be good to go. I'm very excited to give this forward geometry thing a try!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Dave and Andrew have set up a few people on this side of the Atlantic. They helped me get my Summum last xmas.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone in the UK or Europe know where you can buy the chainstay protector that comes on the carbon? I wish it would come on the alloy as well.

thanks,

dave

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The frame came from eBay and the fork, wheels and seatpost have been scavenged from another bike.

So:
    Foxy Carbon XR frame medium
    Fox CTD remote shock
    On Off Stoic 30mm stem
    Pike RC 160 DPA
    Syntace MX W30 wheels
    Bontrager XR4 27.5x2.35 front, Schwalbe Hans Dampf Evo Snakeskin 27.5x2.25 rear (with tubes)
    SRAM XO crank and 30T single ring
    XTR M986 Shadow Plus 10 speed drivetrain
    XTR M988 Trail brakes with Ice tech 203/180 rotors
    DMR Vault Brendog pedals
    Easton Haven Carbon 711mm bar
    RockShox Reverb Stealth 150mm (waiting to remove the Connectamajig so the saddle height can be set a little bit lower)
    Lizard Skin Bearclaw Grips

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-20141215_211753.jpg
    Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-20141215_211556.jpg

Things still to do:

1. Reverb Stealth hose fitting and bleed
    2. Probably swap to a lower profile saddle like a Phenom
    3. Waiting for one hidden housing guide (HHG) that went missing in transit.
    4. Probably swap to Saint M820 callipers because the rear brake hose routing is dreadful with the XTRs
    5. Helitape

This is the girlfriend's new bike. The scavenged bits have come from my Devinci Spartan which I'm not using much at the moment because of my "hitting a tree with my jaw and the tree was stronger" moment two weeks ago.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    @petercarm
    I really like the all black stealth look. Though not a very girly lookin bike ;-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Damn, all of you have made me really curious about the Foxy and Dune...and that usually leads to a new bike...
    I had a conversation with somebody who has a lot of experience with both bikes...his advice go Dune, it handles better. So I have.

Might change the colour though.

I think others worth considering are the Transition Patrol or the Kona 167 ( or the new Knolly?), but they will need a longer stem, probably 40 due to the reach being 10 or 20mm shorter. With the Mondraker you have the possibility of using either 10, 20 or 30. Also 180 forks on either the Foxy or Dune should be no problem if you are happy with slacker angles.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Just been thinking about Forward Geometry.

All the pictures I've seen of the 10mm stem arrangement have a very tall stack or demand you cut down your fork steerer.

Can you achieve an equivalent shortening of reach on the 30mm stem by running, say, a 20mm riser bar inverted left to right and then rotated until the backsweep and upsweep suit the wrists?

It might not be a permanent solution (because of rightful mockery by riding buddies) but I'm going to try a little experiment. Can't see why it wouldn't work.

mtbr member
    hey guys with pikes, i have 160mm solo air; I've got them set up really nice and they're working really well but i've realised that I'm currently running 55psi - I'm 80kg and rockshox would recommend 65-75psi for a 72-81kg rider; i mainly ride fairly fast trails with a few jumps but nothing big

anyone else got their setup stats? cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Do you have good reason to believe your pressure gauge? Cross check with someone else's shock pump and you may find the pressure is closer to the recommended values than you think.

How many bottomless tokens are fitted?

How much sag is setup according to this methodology:

http://youtu.be/sYqv3OB9-4Y

?

mtbr member
    cheers, i have 2 shock pumps (a Canyon one and a Rockshox one that came with the pikes) they both read the same...

i set up the sag when i got them and have tweaked them since so they feel really nice but didn't pay much attention to how much psi i actually had in them - i'm not too bothered cos as i said they feel awesome i was just a little surprised when i actually took note of the figures; just wondering what others were running

not using any tokens

cheers

TonyFro
    Dec 2014

Frame and Fork Build -2015 XR

Hi Peeps, Newbie forum fella here,

After my my hard tail got nicked (boo hoo) I am in the position of building up a Foxy XR (Why they won't sell the sexy black Foxy R as a frame only I'll never know but hey ho). I am of a fit and forget kinda guy, more riding less maintenance an all that so i was wondering if I could pick your collective brains?

Have the bearing sizes change from the '14 mode as I am gonna go all enduro bearings?

Also I can't seem to find any info on replacing the shock bushings with needle bearings (again enduro bearings), i.e the size etc for the Fox shock

Just to complicate matters, I am mulling the possibility of putting an X fusion vector HLC air shock in there, ideally with needle bearings if I can.

These are the final details of my spec before I order it in Feb

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Well I finally sold my blur lt2c and have ordered up some wheels.

Thanks to Dusty I went with some Kappius hubs with Atomik Carbon wheels. He gave me a smoking price, not that much more than what a set of the new crossmax yellow suckers go for here.

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Camara View Post

After my my hard tail got nicked (boo hoo) I am in the position of building up a Foxy XR (Why they won't sell the sexy black Foxy R as a frame only I'll never know but hey ho). I am of a fit and forget kinda guy, more riding less maintenance an all that so i was wondering if I could pick your collective brains?

Have the bearing sizes change from the '14 mode as I am gonna go all enduro bearings?
    If you're a 'fit & forget' kinda guy, then I would suggest probably buying most other brands over Mondraker.

You might have a better experience if you live somewhere that doesn't see much rain, but IME, they go through bearings like fatties through cake, and the frames are somewhat fragile in the back end. The carbons, well I wouldn't fancy be a consumer test sample for someone entering the carbon market with a patchy reliability record in the past.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alex84 View Post
    hey guys with pikes, i have 160mm solo air; I've got them set up really nice and they're working really well but i've realised that I'm currently running 55psi - I'm 80kg and rockshox would recommend 65-75psi for a 72-81kg rider; i mainly ride fairly fast trails with a few jumps but nothing big

anyone else got their setup stats? cheers
    I have a 160mm Pike on my foxy xr. New bike so still playing with pressure settings. However I am same weight as you 80kg and found that psi or 30%sag too divey. Now running 68psi or abiut 20%sag and feels more supportive.

3 clicks of lsc from open
    Rebound midway

Our rides are more rocky technical trails though

What sag and settings are others running on their pikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post
    If you're a 'fit & forget' kinda guy, then I would suggest probably buying most other brands over Mondraker.

You might have a better experience if you live somewhere that doesn't see much rain, but IME, they go through bearings like fatties through cake, and the frames are somewhat fragile in the back end. The carbons, well I wouldn't fancy be a consumer test sample for someone entering the carbon market with a patchy reliability record in the past.
    -C- what's the issue with their pivot sealed bearings? Poor seals or poor quality/tolerance? Will regular degrease and regrease help?

In terms of fragile rear end, this bikeradar look at alloy 2015 says rear triangle has seen "structural revisions" for 2015. Hopefully this addresses what your referring too.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5 - just in - BikeRadar

TonyFro
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by -C- View Post

That's why I am upgrading the "2015 Upgraded bearings and pivots" to enduro bearings from the off, easier to get bike shop to do it when they are getting the frame than me doing it sooner (or perhaps later if their blurb is correct lol)

I have found someone who does enduro bearings suspension bearing kits for the 2014 Foxy, so I was wondering if they have just put better quality bearings in the 2015 model or have they put bigger bearings in?

-C-
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    -C- what's the issue with their pivot sealed bearings? Poor seals or poor quality/tolerance? Will regular degrease and regrease help?

In terms of fragile rear end, this bikeradar look at alloy 2015 says rear triangle has seen "structural revisions" for 2015. Hopefully this addresses what your referring too.

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5 - just in - BikeRadar
    Both of the above, and the small size of them causes way so many premature wear issues. Obviously better bearings will help, but the lack of size of them in the first place seems to be a real issue on the Foxy & Dune.

Oh, and the back ends cracking. A lot. Bolts that want to break, or break free from the frame etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh I see. Thanks -c-. Better keep close eye on the pivots and regularly service them.

Tony camara, I would be interested to know if bearings from 2015 have improved. Can you share if you find out, as well as how your replacement to enduro bearings go. Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks to everyone here sharing their experiences with the Foxy. I ordered a 2015 Foxy Carbon RR from Single Track Bikes in the UK who have been very helpful. With a few part swaps it should be good to go. I'm very excited to give this forward geometry thing a try!
    Sounds good Foxbat, let us know what you think. What size frame?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anyone in the UK or Europe know where you can buy the chainstay protector that comes on the carbon? I wish it would come on the alloy as well.

thanks,

dave
    Drop these guys a line.

Silverfish UK

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I bought a 160mm fork. You guys keep saying that climbing won't be affected so I took the plunge...New pike coming, replacing the Fox 34 140mm

TonyFro
    Dec 2014
    Oh I see. Thanks -c-. Better keep close eye on the pivots and regularly service them.

Tony camara, I would be interested to know if bearings from 2015 have improved. Can you share if you find out, as well as how your replacement to enduro bearings go. Thanks

Will do tho it will probably be Feb now, what with Crimbo, and import taxes on my Derby Rims and Kappius hubs which I wasn't expecting grrr
    Plus I need to fort Knox the garage, nobody is gonna t'eif this bike without heavy duty power tools!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Tony,

have you built those wheels yet? I got the same hubs but with Atomik rims. The theft factor, that is why I keep all my bikes in the basement.

TonyFro
    Dec 2014
    Not yet, gotta pay import taxes on the rims and the hubs have not been shipped yet, ordered them with the ceramic upgrade

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    you live in the UK I take it.

TonyFro
    Dec 2014
    Nope, gotta pay import taxes, oogle them, and wait for the hubs (with ceramic upgrade- not been shipped and gotta factor in import on them as well grrr)

Theft factor has led me to 22mm thick chains, floor anchors and military spec abloy/squire padlocks as it has to live in the garage really.

TonyFro
    Dec 2014
    yep, moved to the south coast from the peak district, still can't understand HOW the Mrs talked me into it lmao

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Merry Christmas from Australia. Its 27.5 degrees lol

mtbr member
    Sounds good Foxbat, let us know what you think. What size frame?
    I went with the medium frame size after crunching the geometry numbers. I'll be experimenting with different stem sizes to see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Mondraker are working on it. Between February and March probably we will have news

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kataklysmo View Post
    Mondraker are working on it. Between February and March probably we will have news
    Had to happen but will it be better than the ali version in terms of ride quality? Lighter for sure. Better looking probably if they keep it raw carbon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Camara View Post

Also I can't seem to find any info on replacing the shock bushings with needle bearings (again enduro bearings), i.e the size etc for the Fox shock

Just to complicate matters, I am mulling the possibility of putting an X fusion vector HLC air shock in there, ideally with needle bearings if I can.

These are the final details of my spec before I order it in Feb
    If the Foxy is the same as the Dune, it's got 10mm bolts which may preclude the use of needle bearings?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Did a bit more research.... and you can get needles in 10mm, I didn't think you could.

Amachete needle roller bearing - Mad Elk Cycles

Used them before on another bike and they make a difference....the suspension is plusher. Now I know I'm getting some.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for sharing loamranger. This YouTube vid shows the difference in sensitivity for small bump compliance with roller bearings.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J6TF77ZPlQs

mtbr member
    Had to happen but will it be better than the ali version in terms of ride quality? Lighter for sure. Better looking probably if they keep it raw carbon.
    I'd imagine during the design process of the carbon Dune, the suspension kinematics would get a few tweaks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Did a bit more research.... and you can get needles in 10mm, I didn't think you could.

Amachete needle roller bearing - Mad Elk Cycles

Used them before on another bike and they make a difference....the suspension is plusher. Now I know I'm getting some.
    Found out that you need a 15mm bushing size to be able to fit them. Unfortunately that rules me out because the BOS shock is 14mm. What shocks are 15mm....anybody know?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    slowly mine is starting to come together. wheels are being
    built and just waiting for my cranks to get here. The new xtr stuff is hard to find in stock. Brakes were easy to get but the cranks, god no.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0756.jpg  

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0757.jpg  

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-img_0759.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    slowly mine is starting to come together. wheels are being
    built and just waiting for my cranks to get here. The new xtr stuff is hard to find in stock. Brakes were easy to get but the cranks, god no.
    So far so good, waiting for what's coming next as i'm thinking about the alloy frame myself
    And i was thinking about the TRUVATIV JEROME CLEMENTZ handlebar aswell, how is it?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I love the bar. I had a easton haven alloy but it was not wide enough and then went to a race face carbon, same deal. I love how the bar is almost straight the sweep back is 7 degrees instead of the 9 of most. I noticed the difference. Got it for a smoking deal on CR. 130 can when it goes for over 200 here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Off for a first time ride on the new steed today (Dune/BOS)....happy riding to everyone in 2015.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    First ride 2015 XL Dune XR

Components switched from previous bike except for shock (BOS Kirk instead of Stoy).

A short but sweet first ride.
    Positives: pedals well, comfortable fit, carries speed, stable.

50mm longer wheels base and 30mm more reach. Now I can comfortably run a 30mm stem and possibly even a 20mm. Positive first ride....more to follow in a seperate thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Those raw aluminum Foxys are the most attractive bikes I have ever seen. I don't choose bikes based on that but it doesn't hurt!

Those trail videos look fun but I've never seen anything so smooth around here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    First ride 2015 XL Dune XR

Components switched from previous bike except for shock (BOS Kirk instead of Stoy).

A short but sweet first ride.
    Positives: pedals well, comfortable fit, carries speed, stable.

50mm longer wheels base and 30mm more reach. Now I can comfortably run a 30mm stem and possibly even a 20mm. Positive first ride....more to follow in a seperate thread.
    Give link to said thread. And pics please!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [QUOTE=Bristecom;11672402]Give link to said thread. And pics please! [/QUOTE

....in a few days time, need to get some shots.

mtbr member
    Since this seems to be the de-factor Mondraker hangout here on MTBR so you'll have to excuse cross forum nature of the question:

Has anyone ridden a Crafty yet? I ask as there are no reviews yet but they have been on sale for a little while. Following the short travel yet aggressive geometry 29'er trend, I'm curious to see how the forward geometry approach works with the 29'er wheelsize. The size medium with a 464mm reach has a 1205m wheelbase which looks looooong on paper (the BMC Trailfox in size large is 1200 by comparison) but I assume Mondraker did their homework on this one.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast