Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Monarch Plus Debonair on the Foxy

Success.

Fits fine on my Medium frame, only one minor snag, the compression lever, if set to the "Mid" setting, when fully compressed, the tip of the lever will touch the frame. When bottoming out harshly, there will probably be some breakage to the lever and axle. Can be fixed by filing off a few mm from the lever. Or avoid using the Mid setting.

I got the Mid/Mid tune, and I'll consider buying the Low/Low tuning kit, and see how I can get the best performance out of it. Too bad weather for a ride now, so I'll find out more during the next days.

Fully compressed:
    Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-2014-09-25-20.00.43.jpgMondraker Foxy XR 27.5-2014-09-25-20.01.25.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Whats the best monrach plus tune for the foxy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What tune is standard on the rp23? On my santa cruz it was a low tune. Never really seen a Monarch with a low tune.

dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    The Fox Float CTD that I took off the Foxy has tune ID "CMGD". There is an volume spacer in the air can, as well. I haven't succeeded in finding out the actual tune yet. Perhaps somebody could ask either Mondraker or Fox what tuning "CMGD" is supposed to be?

According to the leverage ratio and the charts from SRAM, the tuning should be somewhere between Low and Mid. And I probably should put in some volume reducers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi guys

Can you run a reverb stealth on the 2014 foxy XR ali frame?

Oli

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Williamk,

Can you explain how you ran the stealth dropper?

Oli

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Mine ships on Monday!
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    Mine ships on Monday!
    your what? foxy frame?

dave

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    your what? foxy frame?

dave
    Yep!
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    kirk,

did you get a carbon or an alloy one? Where did you get it from if you do not mind me asking?
    Do not see too many of those over here in North America. I love my Summum, hands down the best dh bike I have ridden and it might be only a handful over here.
    dave

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    the photos of this bike literally made me shiver. What a tremendous piece of artwork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    anyone try the crafty out yet?

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    kirk,

did you get a carbon or an alloy one? Where did you get it from if you do not mind me asking?
    Do not see too many of those over here in North America. I love my Summum, hands down the best dh bike I have ridden and it might be only a handful over here.
    dave
    Where are you ordering your frame/bike from? Im looking to get one too...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I got my Summum frame from single track bikes in Scotland. I am just waiting to hear from them about shipping. The NEC bike show was this weekend in the UK. I think Silver fish is getting all the new Mondraker stuff this week. I am either getting mine from Single track or High Peak Cycles outside of Manchester.

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Has anyone found the back of the 2014 foxy Ali frame fleXy. Just wanted to check before buying one rather than getting the 2015 frame which is supposed to have a stiffer rear end ? If it's alteady stuff then great

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I bought the alloy one. I got it trough industry channels... I know a guy who knows a guy.

kirk,

dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by OysteinS View Post
    Perhaps somebody could ask either Mondraker or Fox what tuning "CMGD" is supposed to be?
    The friendly Norwegian Fox representative (CyklOn) responded quite quickly:

Tune "CMGD" is:
    Boost valve 200, light rebound tune,light velocity tune.

The size of the volume spacer is not yet known, but it shouldn't be hard to find out, really.

For the Mid/Mid Monarch Plus, I will get the following items from SRAM, and retune myself:

11.4118.023.052 Tune Assy, Monarch Plus Reb-Low/Comp-Low (CF-80lbs), LF-320, B1
    11.4118.042.000 Bottomless Ring Kit for Monarch/Vivid Air (includes volume adjust rings, qty 9)
    Last edited by OysteinS; 09-29-2014 at 04:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got the answer from Mondraker now, Light compression/Light rebound along with some volume spacers for the Monarch was the recommended tune. I really like companies that let their engineers answer customers in a proper way. They are unsure if the Monarch Plus fits, but it does indeed fit on my frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Can anyone comment on how stiff th back end of the 2014 aluminium foxy is?

Mtb Guide
    2015 site live guys

Bikes :: MONDRAKER 2015

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maverick. Have you found the back end of your foxy plenty stiff enough?

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    Maverick. Have you found the back end of your foxy plenty stiff enough?
    Im riding a Dune.

No issue with stiffness of bike, std wheelset is the issue, shock tune on Foxys maybe more the culprit than the rear frame member. They have made the rear 15s stronger from what I understand on the Foxys.

Weve had had no issues, but just check wheels and shock if worried about stiffness first. If people worried aout that a frame only then build your components would be best way to go or sell off some sfock parts.

Even 2015 speccs seem a little interesing to me on some models.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You say made the raer end stronger. Is that on the current 2014 model or the new 2015 aluminium?

Mtb Guide
    Re the Dune GEO 2015 if the sites accurate as theyre were a couple of mistakes in 2014 listings.

The GEO is mostly the same except they have extended the fwd GEO by 10mm in the top tubes and added 30mm stem as std even on XRs.

Weird one, maybe too many complaints about sizing, even though it was biggest in class, I also have both stems and for general riding prefer the 10mm over the 30mm by long way.

Have this with a few people riding Summuns as well, you must unlearn bad habits setup bikes differently slightly to benefit from this, obviously hard to educate people, reading some Dirt articles and such like same conclusion, they seemed quite critical but people setup these bikes like theyre old ones and then expect it to work it wont. You dont get different results by doing the same thing, Dirt really surprised me, been doing a bit of heavy research latley, still so little out theyre.

Apart from getting used to a radical design, that takes patience, setup with Zero stem or 10mm requires a bit of thought and testing, practice over same track or trail.

For ex on my DH bike I run a bit more sag maybe 10psi less in my Air 40 than I would have on my old V10 for example, this helps weight the front wheel and maintain traction on the front, if you use a setting that worked on a conventional stem for example and geo frame then the front wheel will probably wash out, its all about balance, this way you can take advantage of the short stem for corneing and stability on steep stuff, your weight is not over the front wheel like a conventional stem so even with a slightly softer front end you wont suffer from a diving fron end or midstroke issues as balance is maintained. Good fork helps too.

Its a fine balance but patience is rewarded once setup properly, Im still experimenting, Ive done this on the Dune as well but did this naturally from get go and Pike helps, so if you are finding it hard to maintain front wheel traction just fine tune your spring rate at the front before ditching the short stem.

Im going to try longer CS setting on my Summun, has its own geo kit, I can run 4 cs setting, longer weights the front end more than the short setting without having to alter stem length, I dont feel a need for this, I just want to measure the effect and see what if any benefits theyre are from this, it maybe better on some tracks, maybe I can drive even harder into corners. But in short setting the bike is quite playful,

First DH race of season I got 2nd, 400ths of a sec off first, no crashes and felt great on bike, except fitness bit off with being crook a few weeks back so suffered in pedalling hard down some section, but techy stuff was definitely making up times, lots of tight corners off camber etc so pretty happy to start that way.

Team had a first in juniors and 3rd in open womens good weekend.

site looks good aye, get into it enjoy and disect!

Mtb Guide
    You say made the raer end stronger. Is that on the current 2014 model or the new 2015 aluminium?
    Yeah I posted a link back a few pages with releases of 2015 snippets and that was mentioned.

We have had no issues as far as I know on 2014 Foxys we have sold out there, but anything can happen and someone will always break something on any bike, it is just getting accurate info that is hardest. Lol.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I saw the mondarker guys at the cycle show last week and they mentioned the extra 10mm on the top tube. I wonder why they have doen that? I thought it was pretty long anyway?

They mentioned the lighter and stiffervraer end. Ive been offered a 2014 frame at a good price but wanted to make sure that i wasnt missing out if there was any significant improvements for 2015

Old Fart Swamper

Cool-blue Rhythm

Osco would like to know the wheel base of that steed ??

45", 46" or less I would hope...

Looks like 50"

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I decided to go with the alloy one considering it is almost half the price of the carbon.
    However, I am getting some NOX carbon wheels with I9's for 1500. I would rather have nice stiff wheels. Considering I am coming off a carbon santa cruz with Cross Max sx's I found the rear end no so stiff. Went through 3 free hub bodies and one set of wheels in little less than two years.

I think you will notice the stiffness with a nice wheel set than the frame.

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi, I'm new to this thread.
    I got myself a base Foxy 2014 on a killer deal and swapped most of the parts except the fork and shock: stiffer wheels with through bolt, slx brakes, 1x10 narrow wide + 42t cassete conversion, clutch derraulier, dropper post... now plan is to get a pike in the near future and perhaps a shock replacement down the line.
    My old bike is nukeproof Mega 2012, which regardless of being slightly on the portly side was really good at climbing and a blast on the downhill parts. I've been looking for something lighter in 27'5 size so when the Mondraker deal came along i had to grab it.
    After about 10 rides I'm still trying to get used to it and it still just doesn't click yet. In technical climbing is better than Mega, but i can't decide if this is just down to bigger wheel size. What is bothering me though is that it feels very front heavy on drops and jumps. Just to clarify - I'm an average rider in my mid forties and quite modest on airtime. in other words quite enthusiastic but with limited skills ;-)
    There is a not very fast segment on one of my local rides with few drops followed by tight berms. Compared to Mega on the same drops i really have to pull the bar in order for the front end not to just dive under me and by doing that I often overshoot the berm. As mentioned before that part of trail is quite slow and there is not much speed when coming to drops. With Mega I would just let the bike flow, but the front end of Foxy just drops if I don't pull the bar. Is this the result of longer wheelbase (L Mega 1182mm, L Foxy 1220mm) or am I doing something wrong? It is set up with a 20mm spacer under the 30mm stem and the stock handlebar.

I've been on two coil Lyrik's for the good part of the last 6 years and obviously one can't compare that with Air Fox float 32 Evo. I need to get one of RS Pikes soon to get some of that solid feeling.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    160 fork on mega and 140 on foxy?

Stick 160 fork in it, done

I got 160mm fork on mine and have no issues with it, but yes, Foxy needs a while to re-adjust on the riding position try with different stem length and/or handlebar height.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was contemplating this insane bike. Alas, I'm stateside. I realized however, that the Kona Process line has similar geometry if you size up. WB/TT/HA of a M Mondraker are pretty close to the L Kona. Not nearly as pretty though, the STA is 1 degree slacker, and multilink vs. single pivot. Thought this might be helpful for some of us USA guys pining after this thing.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    This arrived yesterday. Didn't like the color on the web site, but in person it's great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-mondraker-foxy-xr.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow, looking good Kirk. This will be interesting, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just about to get the same frame. Looks amazing

mtbr member
    That's purdy...

Wish they were at Outerbike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This arrived yesterday. Didn't like the color on the web site, but in person it's great.

Kirk,

it comes with a 30mm stem and a head set, correct?

I am ordering mine tomorrow. Have to get up early to call the store in Scotland.

dave

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Dave,

I believe it comes with the 10mm stem. But I ordered mine with a couple extra 30mm stems.

Kirk,

it comes with a 30mm stem and a head set, correct?

I am ordering mine tomorrow. Have to get up early to call the store in Scotland.

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It comes with 30mm stem. All foxys and dunes do now. 10mm is a special order. Not sure about the headset. Great if it does

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    just ordered mine.

thanks to the fine people at single track bikes in scotland.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You lose nothing by sticking 160 fork in it, just a FYI

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Re: Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    You lose nothing by sticking 160 fork in it, just a FYI
    I was thinking of safe solution (going half way ) and get a 150mm Pike.

Although I want to test a bit more the OEM float 32 Evo that came as stock. I opened the fork few rides from new to check the oil levels and only about 20ml came out altogether! Recommended levels are 30ml each leg, 60ml in total. I changed the oil to 15wt with a correct quantity and the fork transformed completely. It is not too bad at all. I really don't understand folks at Fox, doing such poor favor to their own products...
    Last edited by branemb; 10-09-2014 at 08:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by branemb View Post
    I was thinking of safe solution (going half way ) and get a 150mm Pike.

Although I want to test a bit more the OEM float 32 Evo that came as stock. I opened the fork few rides from new to check the oil levels and only about 20ml came out altogether! Recommended levels are 30ml each leg, 60ml in total. I changed the oil to 15wt with a correct quantity and the fork transformed completely. It is not too bad at all. I really don't understand folks at Fox, doing such poor favor to their own products...
    I am doing the same, 150 Pike. I have a Float 32 150 TCD on my santa cruz and it is crap. I thought it was to be the greatest thing according to fox. I find the rock shox stuff is much better than fox. As for the 150 vs the 160, there is still a lot of climbing to be done around here.

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just ordered mine. Should be arriving next week

Sticking some 150 pikes on it as well

Just wondering about getting a monarch plus on there

Does the frame come with a headset

Oli

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey Oli,

I was told it does, FSA 57. And a 30mm on off stem. Might switch out the head set. I thought about a Monarch as well, sort of hard to find a low low tune. I would be getting the non piggyback version. That place in Germany has a good price on Pike's.

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I know. Real bugger that you cant find any low low tunes. Any reason why not a piggy back? alhtough the new debonair is supposed to be very good

I think ill run the headset that comes with it unti it dies on me

Oli

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I wouldn't go less than 160 on front since you can really ride this bike front-loaded, but that is my personal preference..

Like i said, you lose nothing by going 160mm on front.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sakucee View Post
    I wouldn't go less than 160 on front since you can really ride this bike front-loaded, but that is my personal preference..

Like i said, you lose nothing by going 160mm on front.
    Not a big deal switching between the two. I have a 150mm solo air and to bump it to 160, all I have to do is change the air shaft. That can be had for around $40. No need to agonize over it with that in mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hey,

anyone here from Spain? Are there any stores that you know of that sell Mondraker jerseys?

I have seen pictures of some pretty cool ones like the black 27.5 one but I talked to silverfish in the uk and they are not carrying anything.

dave

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah man, that is bizarre that they lengthened the TT and wheelbase another 10mm. It would make more sense if they shortened it 10mm if anything. I wonder if they are trying to push us into a smaller size frame? I heard somewhere that they were starting to recommend a frame size smaller with the 30mm stem instead. This makes my decision a bit more confusing when I'm ready to order my Dune. Do I go for the Large with a 10mm stem or a Medium with a 30 or 20mm stem. Hmm... I wish I could compare them but that's impossible since I will be importing it from Europe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Yeah man, that is bizarre that they lengthened the TT and wheelbase another 10mm. It would make more sense if they shortened it 10mm if anything. I wonder if they are trying to push us into a smaller size frame? I heard somewhere that they were starting to recommend a frame size smaller with the 30mm stem instead. This makes my decision a bit more confusing when I'm ready to order my Dune. Do I go for the Large with a 10mm stem or a Medium with a 30 or 20mm stem. Hmm... I wish I could compare them but that's impossible since I will be importing it from Europe.
    They made the Dune geometry in line with the Foxy. The idea is help run the shortest possible stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Makes sense but I thought since the Dune is targeting a more aggressive/downhill market, they'd still want a shorter reach. I mean, it's still shorter by 10mm but 20mm shorter seemed ideal to me.

But what's weird is that they're making the 30mm stems standard instead of the 10mm. This makes it 30mm longer than last year's with the 10mm shorter reach and 20mm shorter stem.

I've heard some people say that Mondraker decided the 10mm stem was too unstable, while others say the change was only for the sake of styling or height adjustability. Who knows...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Bristecom, Did you see the latest review on Bike radar. The wheels couldn't keep up with what the bike could do. Here are two comments that stand out:

That's all to the good, because the Foxy Carbon is quick. Ridiculously quick

On our relatively mild test loop, this mix of low weight, speed-enhancing suspension and corner crushing ability meant we put in times that matched and sometimes exceeded our best. Considering weíve wrestled short travel race rigs around in clips and this is a 140mm trail bike shod with flat pedals thatís not just impressive, itís bloody amazing

Such comments have me considering an upgrade from tin to carbon. I reckon I can get a ridiculously fast and capable bike built under 12kg. Mines about 12.4kg now, so a next C crank and C frame and I'm humming.

Anyway, the comments don't take stock of the fact that this geo is so good on very very steep stuff, keep that in mind.

In any event, you should take stock in that further review, and embrace the geo proposition. The choice, if you intend to climb a lot, then go for a 30mm stem frame, if the equation is 40% or less climbing, the lean to the 10mm stem frame, because you will tend to be smashing down a lot more. And if that is the case, then you can have wider bars to slow it down - if it is (which I doubt) to quick. Don't forget the bar width will give you a fine tune as well.

Good luck and get on a good thing soon mate.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The frame size recommendations havent changed. I contacted them to ask this. Going to a smaller size frame would defy the objectives that mondraker have for as long as possible. Will find out as my new f and arrives today.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    They have stiffened and lightened the back end in the foxy and dune and improved the bearings also for this year

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks William. I ride a pretty even split of ups and downs but prefer more stability and control going down. Some say that the 30mm helps keep the weight over the front whereas the larger size with a 10mm stem would require a lot more movement or the bike will wash out. However, in that review you just noted, they did say it's much more gradual on the FG which I would definitely prefer over a sudden loss of grip. The front washing out is a bit worrisome with me since I've had that happen a few times and I broke my collarbone that way. But to be fair, I had a worn, fast rolling tread up front and was probably going way too fast for that loose surface. :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In general when i've ridden the Foxy C all those loss of traction have been very controllable, bike behaves very well and predictably when you start to slide front/rear end, which happens a lot to me on wet season due to all of the roots i got around here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anybody with sag recommendations? I haven't been able to adjust my rear shock. I run 160 psi and I weight 187 lbs.. anybody with some settings?

Edit, My pump might not be calibrated right.. so my PSI could be totally wrong.
    Last edited by mgfjd12; 10-17-2014 at 10:54 AM.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12 View Post
    Anybody with sag recommendations? I haven't been able to adjust my rear shock. I run 160 psi and I weight 187 lbs.. anybody with some settings?
    I've recently purchased a frame only Medium XR carbon, I think by memory I'm at 180 psi & weigh 200 lbs. I've found shock pump dials to vary quite a lot. So I go by trail feel /feed back ,if I'm jumping I may add some more but the surprising thing is the shock seems to be performing very well. Great small bump compared to my old SB66c.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What sag is that?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post
    I've recently purchased a frame only Medium XR carbon, I think by memory I'm at 180 psi & weigh 200 lbs. I've found shock pump dials to vary quite a lot. So I go by trail feel /feed back ,if I'm jumping I may add some more but the surprising thing is the shock seems to be performing very well. Great small bump compared to my old SB66c.

How tall are you and which parts came with the frameset?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Makes sense but I thought since the Dune is targeting a more aggressive/downhill market, they'd still want a shorter reach. I mean, it's still shorter by 10mm but 20mm shorter seemed ideal to me.

But what's weird is that they're making the 30mm stems standard instead of the 10mm. This makes it 30mm longer than last year's with the 10mm shorter reach and 20mm shorter stem.

I've heard some people say that Mondraker decided the 10mm stem was too unstable, while others say the change was only for the sake of styling or height adjustability. Who knows...
    From the user reports I've read, shorter is better. Mondraker probably went with 30 as standard for marketing reasons. Some say the TT lengths are not long enough?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am 5'11" I bought a large with 30mmm stem. Love it.

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    How tall are you and which parts came with the frameset?
    30 mm stem , shock remote , headset & axle. Sag I haven't measured, estimate 30%.
    I have a medium SB66c , was tempted with a large & was talked into the medium with the 30mm stem.
    I'm 6 ft & I know the recommendation would be a large or even XL , but no I'm really happy with the fit of the medium.
    With size you have to go with what you are comfortable with otherwise you will always be wrestling the bike around & I prefer slightly smaller.
    This has shorter CS than the SB but has of course a longer WB & longer reach, handles great so far very impressed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    My 2014 SUmmun is a medium and for dh (with a 50 mm stem) it is a perfect fit. I could have gotten a large and had no issues. I decided to go with the large for my foxy. I can not wait until it gets here, early next week I hope. Hope Canada Customs is nice to me.

If anyone is looking for one singletrack bikes in scotland set me up nice.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

I am 6' too and looking for a medium Foxy Carbon. The reach of the Medium ja 478mm which is long. Even with a 30mm stem it is longer than most other bikes in size large. With 160mm fork I will get a wheelbase of around 121cm which is long. With the large Fox I would ne around 124cm which can't bei that nimble as I like. So I think I will be fine with a medium as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I am coming off a large santa cruz, with a 70mm stem and my seat pretty far back. So a large with a 30 mm stem should be good

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Which SC habe you been riding before?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Which SC habe you been riding before?
    2013 blur lt2 carbon.

i had a blur 4x before that.

both large.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

The Blur LT2 has a reach of 404mm at size large.
    The Foxy Carbon reach numbers are 478mm at medium and 501mm at size large. :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

I am 6' too and looking for a medium Foxy Carbon. The reach of the Medium ja 478mm which is long. Even with a 30mm stem it is longer than most other bikes in size large. With 160mm fork I will get a wheelbase of around 121cm which is long. With the large Fox I would ne around 124cm which can't bei that nimble as I like. So I think I will be fine with a medium as well.
    I would recommend the large

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Many say so but when comparing the numbers even the medium Foxy is quiet long with nearly 121cm wheelbase. The large has around 124cm. So how can that still be nimble? Maybe you can tell me? :-)

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Plenty of nimble. Two minutes riding and I felt right at home with the new bike using the large size.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5

Interesting. It's not easy to chose when you have no chance to get on one before buying.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Where can I buy one of these at? I live in California.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rayzer View Post
    Where can I buy one of these at? I live in California.
    Europe

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The wheelbase question is interesting. Some people won't stomach the long wheel base, some go as far as test riding with this dislike and comeback still disliking it. I learnt from motorsport to test and make sure of a set up, to see what is quicker or better. The stop watch is a great judge and one common thing is that you might test something and come back and say wow that was super fast. Because it was moving about, it was responsive and I must have been on the edge etc. Then you go out and test something that is smoother and controlled and wonder why it is faster every time. Just because you are busy in the cockpit, doesn't mean you are doing the best lap times.

Coming back to bikes, short wheelbases keep you busy and they are fun, silly fun. But now that I am old, my reflexes aren't in the same league as they were. Secondly, as the hours tick by, you fatigue quicker (when busy). Getting a stable bike platform is the key to success.

A longer front centre will give you greater stability and balance, and maybe they are inherently quicker as a result. That seems to be a theme and currently I find it works for me.

I have just made a custom 29er hardtail with a very long front centre, short stem and short 16" CS to test the theory for myself some more. It turns great, get's set in a corner and rips fine. It's a very bad bike, a rowdy rat rod. Feels like a Jackal on steroids (I've trail ridden a Jackal a few times in the past).

I think the bike industry is evolving it's geo a little further away from the road bike roots of days gone by, it had come some way from it, and the last move away is eliminating the road bike inspired stems from more applications. I'm embracing the change and am finding it positive.

The short stem will pick up some nimbleness for you.

Funny story, I recently briefly test rode a new Nomad, at 5' 11" I didn't even consider the L (as recommended), and went straight to a XL with short stem, it is around the 1.2m WB as well, it felt fine to me, and I enjoyed winding it through trees etc. So I guess I am use to longer WBs now. In ride choices, I pay more attention to extending my front centre now - for me, it is worth the performance gains and the nimble trade off has been mitigated to a large extent by stem and chainstay lengths.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi folks,

Going to put a Monrach shock on my new ali Foxy XR frame. Do i go for the straight monarch debonnair or monarch plus debonnair

I wont be doing lots of uplift days or trip to the alps mainly local trail centre stuff

Would the monarch plus be too much?

Oli

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Oli blue goat, Is yours a L AL frame? If it is, I would tend towards the plus. The front of the bike is so capable, you will benefit from giving it more rear performance.

I just found that the zero suspension pedals nicer all round with better shocks. (an obvious statement now that I look back at it

If you want to treat yourself, do it. If not, you will still love the bike anyway. Good luck.

W

Greystoke
    Last weekend I had this bike on some of my favorite tracks, really impressed on the bikes performance.
    Though I have just noticed a small amount of play in the top shock bush , looks like a white nylon type of material.
    Anyone else had this happen ? Probably only had 25 hours ride time , so I may look at needle bearings. that seemed to fix a similar issue on the Yeti.
    Last edited by geo025; 10-21-2014 at 05:16 PM. Reason: original I phone mistakes

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ok guys. What wheelset for my Foxy build. Was thinking hope pro 2 evos on either Stand Arch of Flows? Not sure which?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Ok guys. What wheelset for my Foxy build. Was thinking hope pro 2 evos on either Stand Arch of Flows? Not sure which?

I am doing nox wheels with i9;s. 1500 for a carbon wheels set is pretty good. They have hope's for 1300 or so. I have hopes on my Summun and they have been bomb proof!

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi, can anyone post a few pics how to route a stealth dropper post on 2014 alloy frame. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Also, is there any smart way of protecting the cabling under the bottom bracket.? A piece of old tyre would work but it's very ugly. A flying rock managed to cut the brake hose on my last ride and I was left with front brake only on a long descent :-(
    Last edited by branemb; 10-23-2014 at 11:33 AM.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    I only have a couple shake down rides on mine so far; still waiting on a couple of parts to give a full report. But so far I have been thoroughly impressed. The handling is fantastic, particularly in the turns. A noticeable improvement over traditional geometries - I wouldn't at all be surprised if more companies started adopting the "forward geometry" concept in the near future.

Cheers,
    KP

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I only have a couple shake down rides on mine so far; still waiting on a couple of parts to give a full report. But so far I have been thoroughly impressed. The handling is fantastic, particularly in the turns. A noticeable improvement over traditional geometries - I wouldn't at all be surprised if more companies started adopting the "forward geometry" concept in the near future.

Cheers,
    KP
    Kirk,

what fork did you put on it? Canada Customs has mine in the airport in Toronto. They want proof I bought it!

dave

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Dave,

I have a Manitou Minute 140mm fork on it right now - mostly as a place holder until my Mattoc arrives.

Canada has some strange customs policies. I've never looked at it closely, but it seems I lose more stuff in Canadian customs than any other 3 or 4 countries combined!

Good luck,
    KP

Kirk,

what fork did you put on it? Canada Customs has mine in the airport in Toronto. They want proof I bought it!

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Pike 150 on mine

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Kirk, Great to see it is working for you. It can certainly inspire a bit of riding fun.

Enjoy mate.

Yes, I think there is already a gradual trend in that direction. Just look at all of the new shorter stems on offer now. They weren't there 12 months ago.

Imagine riding a bike with a 100mm stem now. In fact, I have a 90mm stem in my shed, it is looking pretty lonely now.

Cheers

W

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nice Oli.

There is a French upgrade kit you can get for the Pike. Basically new retro fit valves. Costed me $270. But wow, it takes the Pike to a new level. Better small bump and better platform (not that they were bad). Pretty amazing feel, actually I am finding the bike arriving faster at turns and features - it's noticeable. Keep it in mind.

Cheers
    W

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome. Do you have a link. Also i'm trying to decide between the Monrach Debonnair or Monarch Plus Debonnair for my Ali XR Foxy

mtbr member
    hi guys, itís been a fairly hot dry summer in the uk and Iíve had my foxy xr carbon a few months nowÖstill amazed at how fast and capable it is, every time I take it out it (which is most days) I canít help but think what an awesome bike it is and canít imagine riding anything else!

Apart from the speed at which it rips over everything, my biggest improvement has been on jumps, which I think is probably down the amount of confidence I have on it; it feels so light and nimble but also completely planted on the trails and yet jumps so easily.

Still also really happy with my build, Iíve got the pikes dialed in nicely and am still running a shimano xt 1x10 Ė still toying with the idea of srams 1x11 and might have another look in the new year Ė depends how harsh the winter is!

Absolutely loving it so far!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yeah, really hot and dry here to. We had a top of 38 deg in the last days of spring, seesh.

Ah stoked that you are really getting into the bike now. There is an uncanny comfort in riding the geo - it just puts you in a place ready to ride, every time.
    Whether that is ambling or getting rowdy.

Thanks for the update. Ride on and enjoy - cheers!

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Alex,

Agreed. I meant to mention how well it jumps. I was quite surprised at the balanced feel in the air. Was comfortable jumping it right out of the gate.

Cheers,
    KP

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    William - have you got a link to the Pike valve kit?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    William - have you got a link to the Pike valve kit?
    Ok, I found a bunch of monarch piston kits for a low tune on ebay.

Has anyone done this themselves? I am thinking about just ordering a new monarch from norco here in Canada and getting them to set it up instead of just buying a take off and then doing it myself.

dave

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Oliblue,

Sorry I didn't get back to you straight away, I had to catch up with my LBS guy, who was away, to make sure I was giving you the right info.

It is a Novy kit.

NOVYPARTS - Kit PIKE

I can attest that it is night and day difference. Amazing small bump and great support for heavy braking etc. Takes a Pike to another level.

FYI

Regards W

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Quote Originally Posted by geo025 View Post

I weight 198lbs with equipment. I had to add a volume reducer to the shock to have a good feeling for aggressive riding. The shock was too linear for my weight.
    Push is going to go out business. The $35 fox kit is the best upgrade to the shock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I received the L/L valve kit this week, and it turned out to be a straightforward task to rebuild the stock M/M Monarch Plus to the proper tune for the Foxy. Took about one hour, including some fiddling with the IFP positition, due to my somewhat too hasty reading of the service manual.

The next task would be to find out how many volume spacers i need in the positive chamber, I'm starting out with two, and see it it if sufficient. The linkage leverage curve has an upswing at the end of the travel, so it should be necessary to cancel out that thing, with some spacers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Keep us posted on the progress on the valve kit as i'm keen to do the same

Greystoke
    Quote Originally Posted by mgfjd12 View Post
    I weight 198lbs with equipment. I had to add a volume reducer to the shock to have a good feeling for aggressive riding. The shock was too linear for my weight.
    Push is going to go out business. The $35 fox kit is the best upgrade to the shock.
    Just borrowed another shock pump & found the variation was 20 lbs both RS pumps. So mine may well be reading low.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast