Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    175cm, if the bike feels too long i'll just put in 10mm stem

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So I might have to go with a large if I follow Mondrakers recommendation and with a medium when just looking at the reach numbers
    Where have you got yours from? They are not yet available in Germany I have been told today.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    From lbs in Finland

purebike.fr has some sale online

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thank you!
    Is the integrated headset an angle set? I've heard about that.
    And do you think it is possible to replace the Fox CTD Shock with a Float X or Monarch Plus? From the pictures I am not sure but looks like there is not much room...maybe the only downside of the frame.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Nope. Just normal ZS headset.

Dunno, trying piggyback shock would require to have the shock at hand to give any definite info

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Fadl,

I have both a Kirk and a Float X - I have tried both in the Alu version of the Foxy and I even tried a Monarch from the shop - all fit in fine.

And can I say again, with a Float X you can feel the Foxy pedal better, it is noticeable. I think the Float X has a better platform and it seems to lend it self well to the zero suspension. But that's just my opinion.

Looking at sakucee's pictures - can I say, very jealous, one hell of a good bike there. Good one sakucee!

From the pictures shown the room and angles does look very similar, visually I'd say there's a 95% chance that it will work in a Carbon frame. Just need more dedicated pictures of that area to confirm.

Cheers
    W

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey, thank you to have a look into this! But it looks like the carbon version has slightly less room in there for a shock than the aluminum one but it has to be checked to be sure.
    I am between the Foxy or the Yeti SB5c for my trailbike. Not an easy decision...

Edit: I've just got the information that a piggyback shock won't work in the Carbon Foxy due to not enough room.
    Last edited by Fadl; 08-01-2014 at 12:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

99% done, i will re-do the DOSS cable routing, not good that way.

Test ride tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Great looking bike! Can't wait to hear your opinion after the first test ride.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristecom View Post
    Maverick, now you've got me considering a Dune instead. I have a 140mm Trance 27.5 right now and I feel like I could probably use a bit more travel as I've bucked a few times despite softer settings and I tend to prefer a slightly softer setup anyway. I do have a few concerns about it though. One being that it has a 5mm higher BB height/center of gravity compared to the Foxy XR, which is a full inch (25mm) higher than my current bike so it may feel a bit too high? I was also looking forward to using the 10mm stem but with the shorter reach of the Dune, I'd probably have to go with the 20 or 30mm stem (I am also 6 feet tall). And lastly, I wonder how it climbs compared to the Foxy. Some reviews have said it can be a bit mushy but I'm thinking I can probably tune most of that out with the BOS Kirk shock.

I saw on another post of yours that you've ridden several 160mm bikes. How would you say the Dune compares to other 160mm bikes when climbing? How about to other 140mm bikes you've ridden (preferably the Trance 27.5 if you've ridden it). Sorry if I'm being redundant here. I wish I could just have a thorough test ride on these things myself but I'd have to import them so there will be no testing before purchasing so I need to gain as much info as I can. Thanks!
    haha, either is sick, just depends on the terrain you like and what suits you.

Do not worry about BB height for a starter, not other bike will corner like these that I can guarentee, forget what you know re static numbers, trust the FWD Geo and re learn what you think you know, its a leap of faith, you will get this wrong if you base everything off an existing bike imo.

They definitley do not feel high and my first thiught was this is low, and is great with standovef and feel while riding, nothing is in the way.

I'm pretty long in the arms, I love the 10mm stem run wider bars, 780 over the std 760 will give you more room, try before you write it off, and do not cut the steerer down too much, low stack for me on this feels wierd, back up to 20mm stack and feels bang on, my freind found same thing using the 30mm on his medium, prefered stack at around 20mm, seems the sweet spot, even climbing felt off lower I went.

2 things re setup if you like a soft setup and buy frame only specc 170mm cranks, you will hit stuff otherwise, Ive found this a bit with 175mm running 30% sag in rear again seems sweet spot, both Monarch Plus and Float X.

Zero loss suspension seems to have good ramp up, I can regulary blow the O ring off my Float X yet never feel like Ive bottomed out, feels very smooth, never sluggish.

Unlike Will though, not a huge fan of the FloatX back to back with the Monarch RC on base model Dune it just feels better, better support, less busy than the Fox, yet smoother domt need to use trail or climb, climb actually feels like it chokes the Dunes climbing abilites even on fireroads and comes alive in trail mode, back in Decend mode though for going down, on the base monarch dont even need it.

Monarch is alll ya need,if you want BOS a Kirk would no doubt be awesome, but a Monarch Plus is what I will upgrade too, Fox just to weak for me.

Feel, mushy is so subjective, with the supplied tires, which is what most tests were done with. Onza Ibexs 2.4 fr n rear, these are big meats, grippy as in wet, but not great on hardpack for rolling speed an acceleration.
    This has a huge bearing on mushyness or feel of snap to a bike.
    Shock setup next.

Ardent race on rear the bike lights up, I will likely run a 2.3 Icon Maxxis EXO TR and Ardent 2.4 EXO TR up front, best of both for summer.

More aggressive Enduros, probably and Minion DHR2 combo 2.3.
    or
    Mavics combo!

Wheels are fast rolling the e13s which were tested by most, Pinkbike, VitalMtb etc and while stiff for given rim width, not the stiffest rim wheel combo available, but feel strong are lightish and stiff for what they are.

I top wheelset will also light this puppy up even more and it begs for it.

Probably look to add some Mavic Enduros when I can get them here.

Not had enough time to compare to a Trance or new Foxy, ours dont arrive for a few more weeks, bit comparing to a M6, HDR, Nomad, Commencal Meta all 27.5" bikes, I have none of them over this puppy.

Only other bike k serioulsy would have considered over this may have been the YT Capra!

But fwd Geo is what I was after, not just a longer bigger bike with a short stem too much compromise, square peg in round hole I always felt on previous bikes, I this I feel completely balanced, and its a common response when others take both the medium and my large for a spin, big surprise to everyone, looks too agressive for them but feel very natural and thats a big statement to me.

I had one dide who said hes XC type of guy, not into trail bikes or Enduro, take both Dunes for a spin and my DH rig and gave me the look of how do these bikes do this, he was surpised at how effiecent they pedalled and also commented on how natural the position was on the bikes.

He rode away a bit perplexed.

Hope that helps some.
    Mav.

Mtb Guide
    Damien Spagnolo ripping the Foxy Cleopatra carbon..

Vidéo DAMIEN SPAGNOLO - New Foxy Carbon

bike looks freat saku

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Whats the BB height on the Foxy Carbon?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maverick,

What size Monarch plus do you need to fir the large foxy aluminium?

Also on your pikes what size have you cut the steerer to. I am about to buy a second hand pair of pikes and want to make sure the steerer is long enough

Oli

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shock size is 200x57 on the Mondraker Foxy (both aluminum and carbon).

@sakucee
    Could you measure your bottom bracket height for me please? Thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hi, new member from norway joining in. Just wanted to say that this tread was a big help when I was sourcing parts for my build, good to see that both a reverb stealth and piggyback shock could fit.

I was looking for a new trail bike to replace my aging 2010 stumpy this spring, and mondraker wasn't really on my radar until I suddenly got the chance to demo one of the first carbon foxes in the country (norway) and really fell for the geometry and feel of the bike. The zero suspension both climbed and descended better than the fsr that I was used to as well.

However, being a carbon 2015 model the price was far higher than I wanted to pay, especially since that parts spec was a bit... meh (Crankbros wheels, formula brakes, ardent rubber).

So I bought a 2014 alu frame in medium (I'm 178cm), a 30mm stem in addition to the 10mm that came with the frame and built it up with x01, pike, xt brakes, reverb stealth and lb-wheels with schwalbe rubber.

Loving the forward geo, the stretched out riding position with the 30mm stem, and it still feels natural and nimble (and fun!) when things point downhill. The bike weighs in at 12,5 kg with xt trail pedals, and is light enough to set pr's on climbing segments and burly enough to set pr's (and the occasional kom) on downhill segments

The weakest link in the build is def. the stock float performance shock. I'd love to have confirmed if a dbair inline would fit or not... If not, the monarch plus debonair looks sweet.

Those of you with non-stock shocks, what compression and rebound tunes are you using? At 30% sag I'm running just three clicks of rebound from full fast on the stock float.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Lovely looking ride. I hadnt realised you could fit a stealth post. What lengthn did you cut you pike steerer to to fit both 10mm and 30mm stems?

Im getting a second hand pair of pikes and want to make sure the steerer length is fine

Onward what wheel did y6ou say you had on there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    also what mud guard have you got. That raer looks like it protects the rear shock really well

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ah i see they are light bycycle wheels. These are ones i was looking at. How are they?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    BB height is around 13.5-13.6 inches with flow ex's, 2.35 ikon and 2.4 ardent and sweep as fork.

As for the ride, first thought i had the bike is balanced, it felt great on turns when i made mistakes it was really easy to correct them.

Pedaling through root chunder was interesting, whenever i started pedaling, bike started to accelerate and there was no feeling of power output being lost to suspension, could feel this also when carving turns, whenever i started to pedal, i could feel the acceleration immediately, only time i used the ctd remote was on transfers on dirt/tarmac roads.

X-fusion is still super sticky needs more riding to make it plusher so holding out final judgement on it, but it did have good mid range support and didn't dive easily.

Total ride was 63km with pedaling to trailhead and back.

mtbr member
    So here's a question for you:

Is Mondraker doing something extra special in their geometry besides making the top tube longer? Isn't this the same thing as me buying an XL of my current bike and throwing a 30 or 10mm stem on it for the same effect?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Basically that's it I think. Beside that the seattube is shorter on the Mondrakers.
    Other than that I don't see special geometry too. It is just a very long frame with massive reach and toptube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    In theory yes, if you can handle the extra standover and seat tube length and much higher stack..

M foxy has wheelbase of 1193, XL 650b stumpjumper has the same wheelbase, Foxy has stack of 585mm, stumpy 661mm, that's about 3 inches of stack difference, so you might need to do interesting things with your stem/bar combo to bring the handlebars down.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    The Stumpjumper is no comparison because it's geometry is broken (29er frame).
    Other big bikes have a much lower Stack height around 610 or 620. So nothing you can't deal with. Just play with spacers and Handlebar height).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

mtbr member
    May 2005
    It IS a 29er mainframe. Just read the forum or have a look at the frame. You can also see a spacer unter the headtube to lengthen it because it is very low on the 29er frame. :-)
    Specialized did te same on their 2015 Enduro frame. But the play that game with the 26 frame on these models....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    It IS a 29er mainframe. Just read the forum or have a look at the frame. You can also see a spacer unter the headtube to lengthen it because it is very low on the 29er frame. :-)
    Specialized did te same on their 2015 Enduro frame. But the play that game with the 26 frame on these models....
    Ahh, i understand now. Eh, well, yeah, i got nothing then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Nothing extra special, other than being brave enough to make a longer front centre.

There are other tweaks to do to make it work. The seat tube and the head stack etc.

You can take most other bikes and size up and you will find the seat tube is too long for most people to run a proper dropper. And others will give you stack issues. Every other parameter might be okay

So as a whole package it is sorted and it does fit you better. Or should I say, it will fit more people shapes more of the time than any other brand can.

Interesting to note that a lot of brands are focusing more on the forward geometry or front of centre.

The latest inclusion is the new Reign, the L has a 25.2" TT and they run a 40mm.

Looks like the Enduro fever has forced mtb companies to make mountain bikes for a change, and not to hang on to the last road bike influence of 90+mm stems.

It will take time, but more people will be riding longer front of centres and consequently longer wheel bases.

Nothing extra special, just really up to date pulpwoody.

It helps that the other figures are good to, the HA, CS and BB - makes for a fun and commanding ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Very nice bike sakucee - props mate.

Super envious - that will haul.

Let us know some more about your riding impressions with the new stead.

Cheers

W

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi there Onward. The Foxy builds up as a very decent bike in AL, the weight is super reasonable and as you found out, pedals well.

Nice bike mate. They just love going fast huh.

Yes a piggy back shock will fit in. I emailed the factory way back and they said no, but when I got mine I tested and said yes. I tried 3 brands, all fit.

I've bottomed out my Float X in the build and on the trail - no problems, clearance all around. The Float X makes it pedal sweeter again and helps to keep up with the super fast front end on this bike. Because you will and can diving into things a lot more aggressively now.

Nice

Cheers

W

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick005 View Post
    Hope that helps some.
    Mav.
    That was perfect! Thanks! I think I will be going with a Dune after all. It looks like their race team is using the new paint scheme and it looks pretty good although I hope it's available in red or black instead of blue or green. The only potential disappointment/downgrade I can see is that the cables are routed underneath the downtube and not in it or above it. :/

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone know wehn their 2015 range will be out. Will there be new colour schemes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quick question

Does anyone know the size of the Torx required for the suspension bolts on the carbon frame?

When I collected my bike the owner said the new 2015 dune is in a dayglo orange but didn't say when it's out

Mtb Guide
    That was perfect! Thanks! I think I will be going with a Dune after all. It looks like their race team is using the new paint scheme and it looks pretty good although I hope it's available in red or black instead of blue or green. The only potential disappointment/downgrade I can see is that the cables are routed underneath the downtube and not in it or above it. :/
    Yeah I dig the race team scheme myself, bound to be a colour in the range for everyone, only colour not a huge fan of in 14 in the black gold Dune RR! But everyone to they're own sure its popular with some.

Normally I would agree with you and Im not a fan either of under downtube routing but it sort of works on Dune, where as the S Ive had just too much under hang required for the FSR linkage I think.

Still I hope they address this in 2015 be nice to have the little details really finished off the way the brand and bikes deserve.

Not a deal breaker for me this time, zero issues, I prefer external except dropper posts, but proper channel if they go internal, my Summun rattles like crazy, shoved moto foam up there, might put it external as the Summun allows that, why they didn't follow the same external route as the Summun for the Dune I don't understand.

2015, ours are landing hopefully November, December latest.
    We have Foxy carbons on the water yeow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    what's the rear end stiffness like on these bikes....I read in Bike Radar ( Dune review) that it was not so great, althought they liked other aspects of the bike.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    what's the rear end stiffness like on these bikes....I read in Bike Radar ( Dune review) that it was not so great, althought they liked other aspects of the bike.
    Not the bike, if standard specc, was it the XR, then it will be the wheels, build, the e13s for what they are seem a good wheel, but very narrow rims, and probably machine built, pretty average, rebuilt by hand probably bit stiffer, I had to tweak the spoke tension a bit, Im used to Enves so I notice it a bit, but they seem like a good lightish wheel, but bit behind the current technology in rims, even compared to my Enves they are narrow and mine are not the new M Series Enves, but previous gen.

On top of that, if they tested the Onza Ibex tires on the e13 rim, the feel of flex is much worse, its a wide 2.4, great tire in soft wetish conditions, but lots of sidewall flex due to the narrow rim especially on hard pack, again not the tires fault, just not enough rim width support, Ive run 2.2 Ardents on the same rim on the same tracks and that feeling is almost non existent and pushed even harder, much narrower tire and looks a better profile on the rim, but not a great tire off buff trails, beenquite wet here so have been sticking with the Onzas front and rear, which has hurt me a bit on fire roads, yet a few weeks back other were saying how quick I was uphill same roads with then Ardent in the rear.

This is exactly why I don't put much faith in the testers or there test methods, this is basic 101 swap out, test, thats they're job, they should be able to say with stock parts this is the strengths weaknesses when being critical, happens allot to all brands.

Anyway Im pretty confident in the stiffness stakes, but tires and wheels make a big difference to the Dune as with any frame.

I will put some Mavic Enduros on when I can get them.

Hope that helps, let us know the specc or model they tested.

Still loving the bike, trying some other things too.

Mtb Guide
    Been meaning to do this and finally mounted it up to compare, parking lot test feel awesome, feels better straight away, which is how it transformed my previous bike over the Fox shock, the Float X just like all Fox shocks forks except the 40, feels busy, sits too low in travel, lacks control.

Ive tried the Monarch Plus which is way better than the Fox too, really like that shock on the Dune too, so will report back how this measures up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    To sad the Foxy Carbon won't accept a better shock. The only design flaw I think but it is a huge one.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    To sad the Foxy Carbon won't accept a better shock. The only design flaw I think but it is a huge one.
    Do you know if this is on all sizes, Will has tried a few different piggy back shocks on his, alloy I know no issue but he is on a large frame.

Often large or mediums fit no probs smalls can be an issue, have seen this also in other brands.

Agree though shock fit compatibility is constant issue and seems an afterthought of most designers, I know they have a specific aim they are working too, but Ive not yet and do not like having to use proprietary shocks setups, brands like Trek with DRCV never, see they are now using Rock shock front and rear in they're new 650b Slash, for most riders probably ok, same riders 2 years later the bike still has everything the shop sold them still on it.

Unfortunately thats the first thing I got disappointed in was the remote Fox shock, I don't want remotes and probably wont want a ctd float on a Foxy either, bit most will be happy, on here we are pretty discerning riders and stock is usually not enough for us.

Id probably look at a BOS Viper or XFusion O2x.

Apart from XF being slow to get product to market and low on product details, tuning setup etc, wish they followed DVOs lead on this they would be awesome then, it surprises me more people haven't woken up to XF yet.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Yes, it is on every size I think. I asked Mondraker and they confirmed it. A DB Inline fits in there but is not working when riding because it hits the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Not the bike, if standard specc, was it the XR, then it will be the wheels, build, the e13s for what they are seem a good wheel, but very narrow rims, and probably machine built, pretty average, rebuilt by hand probably bit stiffer, I had to tweak the spoke tension a bit, Im used to Enves so I notice it a bit, but they seem like a good lightish wheel, but bit behind the current technology in rims, even compared to my Enves they are narrow and mine are not the new M Series Enves, but previous gen.

On top of that, if they tested the Onza Ibex tires on the e13 rim, the feel of flex is much worse, its a wide 2.4, great tire in soft wetish conditions, but lots of sidewall flex due to the narrow rim especially on hard pack, again not the tires fault, just not enough rim width support, Ive run 2.2 Ardents on the same rim on the same tracks and that feeling is almost non existent and pushed even harder, much narrower tire and looks a better profile on the rim, but not a great tire off buff trails, beenquite wet here so have been sticking with the Onzas front and rear, which has hurt me a bit on fire roads, yet a few weeks back other were saying how quick I was uphill same roads with then Ardent in the rear.

This is exactly why I don't put much faith in the testers or there test methods, this is basic 101 swap out, test, thats they're job, they should be able to say with stock parts this is the strengths weaknesses when being critical, happens allot to all brands.

Anyway Im pretty confident in the stiffness stakes, but tires and wheels make a big difference to the Dune as with any frame.

I will put some Mavic Enduros on when I can get them.

Hope that helps, let us know the specc or model they tested.

Still loving the bike, trying some other things too.
    Maverick

Thanks for the reply...what your saying makes a lot of sense. They tested the blue painted frame version.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Personally i can't fault the CTD shock yet (which is surprising i usually hate 'em), i run it on descend and it seems to do the job fine so far..

I got 300+km on the clock and biggest issue with the bike is the routing for the remote on the shock, the cable for the shock+rear hose rub together on suspension movement and rear shock housing is losing the battle with the brake hose, i need to figure out something there to prevent the rubbing.

As for riding the x-fusion sweep seems to do the job well enough, no complaints there, i climb technical climbs with the bike faster than any other bike i've had, also average ride times are much longer now and strava segments times have gone down compared to previous bikes... so all good there.

Have issues with seat post staying up, i do have friction paste there but still suffering slipping issues, not sure is the stock seat collar really up for the job or am i just too conservative on the torque.

Pivot bolts have stayed tight and no play there yet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey guys. Getting a foxy aluminium frame and wondering whether to pair it up with a 140 or 160 pike. Ride mostly trail type stuff not knarly downhill. Just wondering if 160 up front is too much or the way to go.

Has anyone seen the new 2015 colour schemes on line yet?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    came across this

Mondraker 2015 | GRAVITYXTREMO

orange bike looks amazing....is that the new Dune?

Mtb Guide
    came across this

Mondraker 2015 | GRAVITYXTREMO

orange bike looks amazing....is that the new Dune?
    Nice find, yep Dune looks like the RR model.

video of full models here.

notice the Crafty?
    AM 29er, should please sum people.

Foxys, look like 4 carbon models
    XR, RR, R, base with alloy rear
    alloys
    XR, R, base
    that blue Foxy looked good, possibly XR ver al

Fatbike - Panzer, sic name!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by olibluegoat View Post
    Hey guys. Getting a foxy aluminium frame and wondering whether to pair it up with a 140 or 160 pike. Ride mostly trail type stuff not knarly downhill. Just wondering if 160 up front is too much or the way to go.

Has anyone seen the new 2015 colour schemes on line yet?
    No it is not, go for the 160

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Does anyone know if there are any changes to the 2015 foxy aluminium. May be able to get hold of an almost new 2014 frame. Just wondering if I should wait until the 2015 frame comes out. Also is the mondraker warranty transferable ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    More details of the 2015 range here

http://swinleybikehub.com/wp-content...07/Dune_RR.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome. Cheers loamranger. I'm looking at an XR Ali frame. You say there are shock and bushings upgrades for. 2015. Are these significant enough for me to hold out for a 2015 frame rather than getting nearly new 2014 frame from a friend. Do you know what shock the 2015 XR comes with as I'm keen to swap out for a monarch plus

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    A black and white Dune! That's probably going to be mine.

If they had inverted the red/white one or made the white parts black instead, I probably would have liked it more.

That Crafty does look interesting though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome. Cheers loamranger. I'm looking at an XR Ali frame. You say there are shock and bushings upgrades for. 2015. Are these significant enough for me to hold out for a 2015 frame rather than getting nearly new 2014 frame from a friend. Do you know what shock the 2015 XR comes with as I'm keen to swap out for a monarch plus
    I asked the UK distributor about the changes, but they say they do not have any exact details but they understand that the bearings are getting a rework. Launch in two weeks at Euobike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Awesome. Cheers loamranger. Will have to pop over to your swinley shop and try one out. How does sizing come up. I'm 6ft and silverfish said go for a large. Sound about right ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome. Cheers loamranger. Will have to pop over to your swinley shop and try one out. How does sizing come up. I'm 6ft and silverfish said go for a large. Sound about right ?
    Not my shop. Just posted up their factory visit. I'm new to FWD G so not the best person to ask about sizing but I would think you could also consider an XL and go with a 10mm stem. The TT of the Mondraker's are not as long as some custom built frames I know about and those guys are going for longer TT's compared with the Mondraker's so that they can run the shortest stem possible. They seem very happy with their choice.

I'm 6ft 3ins so an XL would be the only choice available to me and it looks like I would need to run a 35mm sstem to get the right fit. So for me the Mondraker's could be a bit longer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Guys. How have you all been finding bearing reliability

Mtb Guide
    Comes with Fox Float X.

Base Monarch Plus is better and XF Vector HLR mind blowingly better!

Mtb Guide
    A black and white Dune! That's probably going to be mine.

If they had inverted the red/white one or made the white parts black instead, I probably would have liked it more.

That Crafty does look interesting though.
    Plus one Crafty will be very interesting.

Colours look great, I am sure the base wont be like the 2014 model, but just in case as Ive not seen full details yet either, the 2014 base had a 142 rear end but with stand QR dropouts the only real thing that let it down, why Mondraker did this I don't know makes no sense and does not allow an upgrade in wheels very easily I know a few wheels that do bolt on axle for 135mm for QR dropouts bit none I am aware of for 142 without spacing it.

Hopefully they have not made the same mistake for 2015 and all models in base options will be 12x142 thru axle.

Base and R model look like they get Rockshox FnR, will be better suspension package than the RR and XR.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maverick are you saying you would go with a XF Vector HLR over a monrach plus?

Also anyone had any bearing reliabillity problems?

Mtb Guide
    Been meaning to do this and finally mounted it up to compare, parking lot test feel awesome, feels better straight away, which is how it transformed my previous bike over the Fox shock, the Float X just like all Fox shocks forks except the 40, feels busy, sits too low in travel, lacks control.

Ive tried the Monarch Plus which is way better than the Fox too, really like that shock on the Dune too, so will report back how this measures up.

Update on the ride of this beasty with the XFusion Vector HLR air.

Wow!

loamranger mentioned a test where flex was felt by the tester on the R model, the wheel specc is lower and more prone to flex
    than what I'm running and I believe the frame is stiff, I can now tell you that feeling has disappeared completely from my bike point 1.

Point 2: this shock absolutely walks all over the Float X Factory Fit CTD, no comparison, flex feeling is due to the fox damper tune
    allot of this is due in part I suspect to it sits low in its stroke a real characteristic of Fox air tunes with the exception of the new Fox 40airs, you wouldn't want those tunes on a Dh bike and neither should you have it on top edition Factory Fit models on Fox shocks and Forks Float Xs and CTDs.

Ive now had more than enough Fox air shocks and forks and they all perform badly imo/e when you compare to
    to other class leaders.

The XFusion Vector Ive had for sometime now so have allot of time on it and I didn't really
    expect it to be a big improvement over the Monarch or this much better than the Float X since
    its been getting so called good reviews, obviously these reviewers have not had much to
    compare it too.

With the Float X I would regularly would get pedal strikes and it was becoming quite an issue and slowing me up
    even though I was still riding quicker than my precious rig, the XFusion Vector on the same tracks Im hammering on the pedals
    and though close in some deep ruts on one particular steep DH section I never had a pedal strike.

Control is unsurpassed, Fox not even close, I could hit G outs and remain stable as.

It pedalled better, even on fire roads and I have no lockout, I have compression LSC and HSC and didn't need to
    use it to crutch it uphill.

Its lively, running faster rebound than previous rig using this shock it a great performance match for the Dune.

XFusion to me both on forks Ive owned and shocks aren't busy, they don't bounce all over the place they just do what a damper should do with minimal disturbance to the bike, which is why it pedals so well uphill where as the Fox has allot of movement sits to far in its travel, all things that hurt downhill stability support and climbing, hence the need for climb mode and lockouts, another by product of XC days and baserider tunes.

The bike was already good, this make the Dune feel complete in terms of matching the floating Zero loss linkage, I had a guy following me down a jump trail a good young DH rider and he commented how effortless and stable the bike moved, a section I always struggled on my other bike even with the same suspension package.

He took it for a quick spin and came back with a similar look I have seem others do, confused and not believing it can ride like that yet look so out they're haha.

Needless to say the Fox will not be going back on.

I cant quite understand why Mondraker are speccing Fox on some models and Rockshock on others
    you cant get rid of a Fox here, Im basically giving away a brand new 34 and people wont touch them especially when a Pike is cheaper here same with Monarch Plus and XFusion is even better value.

But so underrated.

I have a buddy on a new Nomad gen 3 with BOS Deville upfront and he had a Monarch Plus debonair on the rear, he took his XFusion Vector HLR off his old bike and put it on his Nomad a few weeks before I did mine and same thing he was blown away by how much better his Nomad is over
    the Monarch setup.

So there ya have it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cheers Maverick. How reliable has the x fusion been?

Also how are your suspension bearings holding up. Any probs?

Oli

Mtb Guide
    Cheers Maverick. How reliable has the x fusion been?

Also how are your suspension bearings holding up. Any probs?

Oli
    Bearings bit early to tell, but shes running smooth and I like how they have been executed, only time will tell I guess, but should hold up well, there is a lot less stress and zero twist from the shock on the shock mounts with the zero suspension system so I would expect them to hold up well over DW style systems for example where there is allot of friction and little rotation.

Ive had this shock for over a year and its had a service and has been stellar, I also have a Vengeance fork and its been real impressive, I miss its pure stiffness and 20mm.

Unlikely to buy another shock, it would be a BOS Kirk purely to compare.

This shock also is a DH shock and one of the lightest piggy back shocks going so it resists heat real well and maintains a consistent feel so don't feel much if anything else would be an improvement, it has true, LSC and HSC something the Float X and Monarch do not, I did an Enduro with 4 stages earlier this year that were 1200 - 1400m of vertical drop on each stage, the shock was stellar, wish Id had the Dune for that race.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cheers dude. Sounds awesome

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Maverick

BOS Kirk, now you're talking. With BOS Deville's or Idylle SC's upfront would be my choice.

Looks like the 2015 Dune frames will be in blue and white team colours....pity because I think the orange would be very popular.

If I get one I'll put the shock on e-bay straight away.

Mtb Guide
    Maverick

BOS Kirk, now you're talking. With BOS Deville's or Idylle SC's upfront would be my choice.

Looks like the 2015 Dune frames will be in blue and white team colours....pity because I think the orange would be very popular.

If I get one I'll put the shock on e-bay straight away.
    BOS Im only interested in trying out, but don't underestimate the performance of the Vector, if its not a match it will be close, performance for value imo it cant be beat, but don't think this is a cheap shock its not, it is very well finished looks stunning has more but simple adj that only BOS and CC have, its a match for the CCDBa Ive ridden on the previous rig, not ridden a CCDBa on the Dune, it kicks arse XF top stuff is tuned for aggressive riding from the get go, my Vengeance fork is the same it can handle plonking along but it comes alive and works best when you really push your rig or ride challenging trails.

Fox is better for slow to mid riders, not that they're aren't very fast riders using Fox they're are but they don't know any better. Just seems especially here allot of status heaped on FOX, BOS I know some here who prefer the Pike over the Deville.

Only the XR dune will be in blue white.
    If you like Orange I'd buy the RR model 2nd from the top down, save some dollars sell off the Fork and Shock, speccs in 2015 look much better and up to date, 2014 speccs seemed a year behind, allot of models without clutch rear ds etc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Maverick. Where have you seen the 2015 spec lists?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    cant see the mondraker 2015 bikes on the link? should you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    That should work.
    Has the basic spec/pics and price in euro.
    Also frameset prices at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    BOS Im only interested in trying out, but don't underestimate the performance of the Vector, if its not a match it will be close, performance for value imo it cant be beat, but don't think this is a cheap shock its not, it is very well finished looks stunning has more but simple adj that only BOS and CC have, its a match for the CCDBa Ive ridden on the previous rig, not ridden a CCDBa on the Dune, it kicks arse XF top stuff is tuned for aggressive riding from the get go, my Vengeance fork is the same it can handle plonking along but it comes alive and works best when you really push your rig or ride challenging trails.

Fox is better for slow to mid riders, not that they're aren't very fast riders using Fox they're are but they don't know any better. Just seems especially here allot of status heaped on FOX, BOS I know some here who prefer the Pike over the Deville.

Only the XR dune will be in blue white.
    If you like Orange I'd buy the RR model 2nd from the top down, save some dollars sell off the Fork and Shock, speccs in 2015 look much better and up to date, 2014 speccs seemed a year behind, allot of models without clutch rear ds etc
    Cheers Maverick

XF sounds good and value for money. BOS is the best I've tried so far and beats CC in my opinion. Definately worth considering XF though.

Factory confirmed Dune frame only available in blue/white. Could get a bit expensive stripping a RR (not to mention the hasle) the price getting close to a custom frame.

Do you know if 2015 geometry is the same?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hey Maverick, I did find some better pics of the 2015 base Dune and it does look like a thru axle now thankfully. But I think sometimes they use that weird DT Swiss DWS system. That's what my Trance 1 uses but supposedly Giant or DT has a conversion kit. As long as I can fit a 142x12 in there somehow, I'll be happy - if not, I'll be pissed. LOL

Frankly, I'll probably change everything on the base Dune and try to sell the stock stuff. Not the most economical or practical way of doing it though. I guess I'll have to wait and see how much more the base Dune cost over the XR frame. I really want that black though!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    WRT the zero suspension, a mate has a 2012 foxy R and I've spend a few hours on it. Sitted pedalling there is no bob at all, maybe 2 or 3mm of movement.

Out of the saddle though, there is noticeable bob,even with the propedal on.
    I got a short road ride on a large Foxy XR the other day. Shock was setup for my weight and I got the same bob issues out of the saddle climbing a steep road. Propedal helped but it was still very noticeable. In the saddle it was fine, especially with smooth pedalling. Obviously not a trail test but it seemed too much for my liking compared to my current DW link bike which is set and forget - no flicking switches to change from climb to descend. I did like the looong reach, it fit me really well.

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by fresh tracks View Post
    I got a short road ride on a large Foxy XR the other day. Shock was setup for my weight and I got the same bob issues out of the saddle climbing a steep road. Propedal helped but it was still very noticeable. In the saddle it was fine, especially with smooth pedalling. Obviously not a trail test but it seemed too much for my liking compared to my current DW link bike which is set and forget - no flicking switches to change from climb to descend. I did like the looong reach, it fit me really well.
    I came off an HD still have it, carbon Enve wheel set carbon everything, dwl, that feeling is not translated on the fire roads and especially single track.

My Dune currently has an inferior but not bad wheel set, but its no match for stiffness and weight and hub engagement quality that is on my HD160, faster tire combo imo Ardent rear Minion Front, 50mm stem.

My Dune is pretty much full Alloy, Onza 2.4 up front rear quite slow onnrear the Onza but good tire, for the next relative comparison uphill on fire-roads Ive used a 2.2 Ardent, which contact patch is a direct comparison weight for grip to the rear 26" Ardent on my HD.

Also Im running the 10mm Stoic stem vs a 50mm on the HD this is also with the XFusion Vector HLR shock used on both bikes.

Note: no crutch lock outs.

1: Im blowing away all my PRs on Strava on the Dune on uphill fire roads these are 12-15 minute fire road climbs good workouts.

2: on way back down Im not only significantly faster but beating guys times that I thought I had no chance of beating none let alone getting close. This is on Black Diamond or as in yesterday a double black diamond trail. Pretty stunned and I had quite a bit left in the tank, as I was not out to get PRs I had done a big day the day before in the bike park on my Summun and Dune so this was a fun recovery ride and to get some hill miles on the legs.

So Im not trying to convince anyone here, but imo DWL is a real crutch when comparing climbing feel or bob what is bob, I know what people mean, but it is quite different to bib of the 90s, anti bob or squat might make you feel fast but for me did not does not translate against the Dune in comparison in real world riding, against similar bikes 2 years ago my HD was one of the fastest bikes for me out they're, I had a Stumpy EVO before that and the HD brought me to another level, I live this bike the frame etc again not without its minor finishing issues. It did help my biggest weakness long fire road climbing, Im a mountain biker not a TDF racer and more DH orientated, but I still like to climb, as Im old school and believe you earn your descents, Im a guide as well so long miles in a saddle is my business.

Big thing for me on dwl designs is the balance is always slightly off they're is too much anti squat built into the kinematics for my liking so if you are an XC style rider then it may well make you feel like you are riding faster or easier uphill, my times between the too do not reflect it and my HD is quite a bit lighter as is the carbon stuff all over it, 50mm stem vs 10mm on paper the HD should walk all over my Dune, it does not.

3 other key areas my Mondraker has it over my HD are

Cornering, Dune kills my HD, absolutely no contest its a massacre!

Jumping, both are good, but now Ill hit stuff blind or even try stuff usually I would test first on my DH bike, it has no quirky reactions on different take offs trannys etc, always balanced predictable yet playfull.

Uphill switch back corners on single track, the Mondraker Dune blew me away where Ive had to use allot of technique to get around these corners in the past, HD, on the Dune almost no thinking required.

Compare wheel bases, L HD 45" wheel base vs Dune 48.25" wheelbase
    on numbers alone this shouldn't on old school theory be possible yet it is.

Ive ridden scaled up bikes, eg next frame size up shorter stems but never got these benefits in fact was out of balance and a number of issues would occur for me, lose cornering ability, gain stability, lose playfulness and weird issues jumping.

Mondrakers FG really works for ME.

Also another area I think is better is acceleration especially pedalling in single track, my HD would not track the ground as well at warp speed so I couldn't keep hammering to accelerate without timing pedal strokes therefore losing ground, same trail on can pedal accelerate earlier longer and put power to the ground on the Dune, this is a pretty flowy easy grade down trail very pedally but lost of ruts roots etc.

My Summun has proven the above vs my V10c I came off, earlier in the gas and pedalling in sections I couldn't in the v10, so this proves to me the Zero Loss suspension system works and works as well if not better than anything Ive ridden and Ive owned or ridden most.

HD I run 35% sag in my HD XF Vector shock
    Dune 30% sag XF Vector shock

They're will always be compromises in any system though no matter how good or what the designer marketing says.

I believe these bikes aren't nessecarily suitable to all people same with any bike. Especially if you are looking at it the wrong way.

Carpark tests are a complete waste of time if serious about choosing a bike, good to throw a leg over but you will miss out on any bike if you don't give it half a day at least, base settings are a starting point thats what you will get in a carpark test.

Shock us a major impact on all bikes imo especially Fox ctd crap.

Ive hated every Fox on my HD and same on the Mondrakers or at least the std tune Fox provides, they are too deep in travel, bounce like pogo sticks or are like a dead fish on the bikes when trail or climb is engaged.

My HD and Dune climb faster better and no bouncy effect in rear with my XF shock by a long way, I have a friend on XF fork from a Fox 36 Talas his a2c has been increased by 5mm stem higher on stack yet he climbs faster and also improved his PRs he's not on a Mondraker yet.

Im pointing out how important good dampening is and effect it can have, inclu setup, his bike is slacker longer higher, yet he's climbing faster in fire roads with no travel reduction ability, he kills it, downhill compared to the Talas as well, I used to own him everywhere, Ive got some tracks to re claim lol, which I will, its just matter of time to nail them, but now I have to go for it, I always could beat him riding 80-90% well within myself, not now I have to work a bit more so on smoother trails, though the Dune carries its speed so well and corners so much better I gain in those areas quite easily.

Anyway Foxy should be way faster uphill, cant wait to try a Carbon Foxy, problem is I will want go change shock wheels and brakes before enjoying it.

My2c

Mtb Guide
    Hey Maverick, I did find some better pics of the 2015 base Dune and it does look like a thru axle now thankfully. But I think sometimes they use that weird DT Swiss DWS system. That's what my Trance 1 uses but supposedly Giant or DT has a conversion kit. As long as I can fit a 142x12 in there somehow, I'll be happy - if not, I'll be pissed. LOL

Frankly, I'll probably change everything on the base Dune and try to sell the stock stuff. Not the most economical or practical way of doing it though. I guess I'll have to wait and see how much more the base Dune cost over the XR frame. I really want that black though!
    Nice glad they sorted that out, ah depends sometimes it can work out well, just seems to be allot selling stuff at mo and less buyers prob cause everyones buying new, well thats whats happening here.

Black would look good.

Mtb Guide
    Cheers Maverick

XF sounds good and value for money. BOS is the best I've tried so far and beats CC in my opinion. Definately worth considering XF though.

Factory confirmed Dune frame only available in blue/white. Could get a bit expensive stripping a RR (not to mention the hasle) the price getting close to a custom frame.

Do you know if 2015 geometry is the same?
    BOS should definitely be the best and so it should for the price and history those guys have the suspension game. Would love to try one, any gain is worth it lol.

Yeah frame only always just the XRs or pro teams.

But RR nit bad and easily sell off anything you wanted to upgrade as good specc.

Dont think any change to GEOs etc for 2015, was a new bike in 2014.

Hope they have sorted the spacing better though for 11spd, nit sure if just mine but the rear d hanger like some other brands I know have been machined to 10spd stds so dropping into the 10spd cog even though 11spd cassette is same length is not clean, no matter how u tune it.

Ive had to out a washer between my RD bolt and hanger to space it out away from the frame and its working sweet now goes smoothly up and down the cassette as it should, seems someone doesn't test this stuff before changing specification, never trust spacing speccs on specc Ibis fell into this SC, Few got this wrong last year.

I like to see them tidy up the cable routing too, though Ive had no problems Ive never been a fan of road bike cable routing on mountain bikes, not a deal breaker but annoying especially in this era, forgive them in the 90s for that ****, not 2014/15.

Anyway Im loving mine, played around with stack height on the 10mm stem but keep going back to my base setting 20mm spacer under stem, I climb better, weird I know, corner better jump better feel balanced, even 5mm lower makes a massive difference I didn't like.

Anymore piccs images guys, waiting for updates at this end from my guy, but not yet got anymore secrets to share!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    How do you think the Canyon Strive in (race fit) compares to the dune?
    Fabien Barel input no doubt.
    In size Large they seam pretty close. Reach is a bit shorter.

Canyon | Mountain Bikes | Strive CF 8.0 RACE

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I've done about 300km's on my carbon foxy now, no complaints on ride, i run full descend mode on ups and downs on off road, use lockout only when rolling on dirt road/tarmac.

It is fun bike for the trails i have, almost all of my climbs are on trail and there is no dirt road climbing at all, 140mm zero seems to work for my riding style quite well and rear has good traction when climbing over roots and rocks, with SPD's it is very easy also to unweigh the rear on step-ups since most of your weight is easy to transfer to the top of the ledge due to geometry, cornering on downs is just awesome just need to remember to weigh front, riding down steep rockfaces is fun stuff on this bike.

My average runs are much longer distance wise since i have much more gas in the tank, must be because the bike pedals so well.

Surprisingly i don't have any bigger negatives to say about the fox ctd, i'd thought i'd hate it but im getting along just fine with the tune it has, it feels composed and does not bottom out harsly and is supple enough on descend on trails

Cons: Cable+rear brake hose routing, need to put some copter tape inside the frame before you zip tie the brake hose to frame, also need some silicone socks on the remote cable so it won't get worn out from rubbing into the brake hose on suspension movement.

Matte surface finish gets polished very easily from minor rubbing.

No copter tape /guard on drive side seatstay, paint will chip from chain slap if you don't install some afterwards.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Anybody fitted a coil shock to a Dune? Any clearance issues? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    maverick

for some reason your last post is not appearing on this thread but got it by e-mail??

Anyhow, with reference to your interest in carbon Foxy, I presume your XF shock with piggy wouldn't fit? What other shock options would there be for this frame?

Mtb Guide
    Quote Originally Posted by yamaha46 View Post
    How do you think the Canyon Strive in (race fit) compares to the dune?
    Fabien Barel input no doubt.
    In size Large they seam pretty close. Reach is a bit shorter.

Canyon | Mountain Bikes | Strive CF 8.0 RACE
    Ive not ridden a Canyon, but from what Ive read from others, I know someone here who imported one themselves and likes the brand.
    Unfortunately not local so cant do a direct comparison, and like you said Fabian and Joe Barnes will be good any bike Fabian is involved with is and what Enduro mag recently said in they're test results, its a fast bike in the right hands, so are many bikes.

That Enduro mag test was way skewed imo though, as the Canyon had a Factory riders specc, not stock, while all the other bikes had stock specc.

Though good speccs on the other bikes tested, this has a big effect and def helped the Canyon, but would only help if the foundation of a bike is good, "Geo" which looks good on the Canyon.

I would say grip and GEO still goes to the Dune, the Foxy XR is probably a more direct comparison, the specc Enduro mag tested on the Canyon used a 160mm 34 fork, the Foxy XR is also 160 front/140 rear.

Interesting the team riders have been using a std Float X not the special remote compression adj ver they were riding in earlier Enduro rounds, maybe this was just for Whistler.

Personally I don't like designs that use a crutch lockout system, proper shock tune, shim stack valving or proper shock to begin with, if the linkage system is good and I think the zero loss floating shock system is one of the best, no shock twisting super stable for me it pedals great even the Float X it pedalled uphill well.

Dune reach is longer 480mm on a large
    vs
    468mm on the Canyon,
    as is wheelbase,
    Dune 1222mm
    vs
    Canyon 1207mm

Foxy XR
    Reach is 501
    WB 1220mm

I still think the fwd geo is hard to beat for aggressive riders who maybe more come from a moto back ground not a road or XC style background.

If I could choose either with the specc I want it would still be Mondraker by a long way, for me they're was no other brand of bike I wanted to ride this year the fwd GEO zero loss system look etc I really wanted to get to try.

Hard to find bad bikes out they're though, but I think many have followed each other for so long based on XC and Road bikes what I call trickle down, its refreshing to ride a bike brand thats MTB from ground up and with Fabians input, it is so unique but to me so normal it makes a std bike feel weird and wrong.

I have had some very good riders test my Summun, and just come back saying they are ruined, and same on Dune people take it for a spin and cant believe it, the look when they hand it back is quite funny, like they feel they have had mind tricks or they're eyes have deceived them, they cant work out why it works when it looks so trippy as one guy described it lol.

Ive not had one person yet mention bob which is why I wrote the above, also the linkage doesn't have any weird traits, like spiking on sharp edge hits, something hard to tune out if possible on a dwl bike, my HD would do this at times we don't have allot of that here, a mate in another part of country always had this issue on his and he's now riding a G3 Nomad and loving it.

Mtb Guide
    maverick

for some reason your last post is not appearing on this thread but got it by e-mail??

Anyhow, with reference to your interest in carbon Foxy, I presume your XF shock with piggy wouldn't fit? What other shock options would there be for this frame?
    I don't know what it is with mtbrs site, its not ipad friendly, slow and clunky words change, I spend so much time editing something that is not what I wrote just to get it to make senses, dam drives me nuts! Ai use other apps eg word then paste in, no difference, still changes somehow.

Will has tried a few piggy back shocks no issue, the XF is slightly longer in the piggy back than the Float X but the width is similar, e.g piggy back from main body pointing fwd.

Ive not yet got a carbon Foxy to be able to check the possibilities, but if I get my hands on one or our importer, I will ask to try as many shocks as possible to update you guys, its important for our market as well.

It may well be sizes large up will have no issue I dunno just speculating as other brands usually are ok in larger sizes its med and sml that often have trouble, but the Foxy hole and down tube maybe are the same in each size as its sort of unique and not affected by any other area of the main triangle, so don't quote me on this yet.

Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Maverick

Chris Porter's take on the Foxy Carbon is interesting, running with Fox 36's and aggressive geo changes with offsets bushings and angle headset. XL Foxy has nearer optimum TT for me than Dune (13mm longer).

Size matters part 2: Finding the limits of geometry and sizing - MBR

I have a 160 BOS Deville that I could through on one of those. What in-line shocks would fit? Vip'r, CCDBa, RS, XF?

Any idea if coil would fit a Dune?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know what it is with mtbrs site, its not ipad friendly, slow and clunky words change, I spend so much time editing something that is not what I wrote just to get it to make senses, dam drives me nuts! Ai use other apps eg word then paste in, no difference, still changes somehow.

Will has tried a few piggy back shocks no issue, the XF is slightly longer in the piggy back than the Float X but the width is similar, e.g piggy back from main body pointing fwd.

Ive not yet got a carbon Foxy to be able to check the possibilities, but if I get my hands on one or our importer, I will ask to try as many shocks as possible to update you guys, its important for our market as well.

It may well be sizes large up will have no issue I dunno just speculating as other brands usually are ok in larger sizes its med and sml that often have trouble, but the Foxy hole and down tube maybe are the same in each size as its sort of unique and not affected by any other area of the main triangle, so don't quote me on this yet.

Cheers.
    Space betweenis not much on carbon xr, one possible shock i can see that could fit there is the yet-unreleased marzocchi shocks with small dual piggybacks, maybe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    btw, wonder why he is running a 35mm stem? Maybe it comes up short compared with the Nicolai?

Mtb Guide
    Maverick

Chris Porter's take on the Foxy Carbon is interesting, running with Fox 36's and aggressive geo changes with offsets bushings and angle headset. XL Foxy has nearer optimum TT for me than Dune (13mm longer).

Size matters part 2: Finding the limits of geometry and sizing - MBR

I have a 160 BOS Deville that I could through on one of those. What in-line shocks would fit? Vip'r, CCDBa, RS, XF?

Any idea if coil would fit a Dune?

Few things to understand here about CPs bikes.

I like what he does to test boundaries

But this would be too much for everyday riding and most people also ride location
    would be a crtical part to enjoy this setup imo.

I used to be extreme in setups but what I find now with all bikes
    with great GEO suspension kinematics whatever the hell that means, I mean I know just seems a buzz word in recent years.

Suspension setup dampening is more important than extreme measures
    anglesets shock offsets etc, I have yet to feel the need, maybe he should use the right tool for the job.

Ive ridden the Dune in the bikepark double black diamond trails DH trails
    outback guiding and many miles climbing in stock geo.

Only thing extreme is the bike itself in stock cockpit 10mm stem.
    Ive found for me 20mm spacing even under that stem has a bigger bearing
    On handling extreme trails and cornering jumping, weirdly I find it better climbing long fire roads and single track, now Im not trying to be an XC racer uphill, I like to spin up fast enough its no grind, not be struggling behind clients or mates.

So to me what hes doing is better on a std bike maybe, but as he says his setup.
    Compromises far too much overall for me I couldnt get the benefit out of what hes trying to do, Id rather jump on my DH bike, I know it would not improve my downs here. I ride too much varied terrrain.

If I want to ride like that the Dune aint holding me back, its me or the rider.
    Why you'd do that on a Foxy other than his experiment to me is a waste as well, bikes inteneded to excell imo on faster smoother maybe more extreme climbing probably be thebike Id grab for days guiding big back country and clients not so extreme but can still handle the Jandal if needed, same in Enduro if we get more pedally vourses not so technical Id choose it over the Dune. But most should go get some advanced setup ride skills training from a pro school, Im saying this for us not ChrisP. He would kick my arse.

He obviously can play with that.
    Still imo he would be better on a Dune 10mm high stack setup.
    Love to see him compare that to his Foxy extreme.

Fox 36 has same or lower a2c than the 34 and lower def than old 36.

Why you'd want to lower the BB more again perplexes me!
    Ill be going to and would recommend to anyone even on Foxy to run 170mm
    cranks if you build up a frame.

Its already low forget drop in static mode, both these bikes have wheelbases
    longer than anything else in class and most DH rigs of a given size.

Thats what catchs you and how agressive that WB & FG allow you to rail and
    corner not BB height listed on a peace if paper.
    Interesting he went back up too.

Again since using the XF Vector I have had no pedal strikes unlike most of the time on the Float X.

Also I made a mistake above Im running same sag on XF shock ad FloatX 35%

It only uses what it needs, why it oedals better climbs better than the fox.

LR I am a coil fan, and coil should fit Dune easily by looks
    My RC4 on Summun looks like it would clear fine obviously wrong size

But even on my Summun Im thinking of running a BOS Void.
    On the Dune no where have I felt the need where coil would be an improvement
    Again the Vector is very good at heat disapation its a DH built level shock
    that is thicker than Fox cans RS, more match to Void, Vivid
    But way lighter yet pedals lime an Enduro shock.

Try a Kirk or Vector, not sure how a CCDBa would play with it?

Zero loss is very smooth, stuff on my HD Id get chattered to hell on is way smoother
    on the Dune, also another key point here is Im allot fresher have more energy longer on the Dune than I did on my lighter better specced DWL HD?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    maverick

Thanks for your comments on CP.

See you were on PB recently....the orange Dune looks great. If I get one then I would probably need to run a 35 stem unfortumately. The TT on the Dune XL is 665, really needs to be 685 minimum for me to run a 10. Foxy is 680 which is close.

What wheels are you running?

Mtb Guide
    maverick

Thanks for your comments on CP.

See you were on PB recently....the orange Dune looks great. If I get one then I would probably need to run a 35 stem unfortumately. The TT on the Dune XL is 665, really needs to be 685 minimum for me to run a 10. Foxy is 680 which is close.

What wheels are you running?

All good on CP, hes a cool cat and doing unquie things pushing boundaries I like that.

No worries mate, what bike do you ride now!

So I can determine not reach but style of bike are you riding now!

For example your body position on a 160mm bike is different to the ride position on a 140mm bike and conversely a 120 or less travel bike, the center of balance is different regadless of reach, if you use static measurements alone before actually riding a bike and experimenting with things like stack height bar width, you will never settle on things.

What you know now or before from my experience and I fit allot of people, quite differently to your LBs or other experienced bike fitters, this is based on my moto background, road bike racing background, yep raced road bikes BMX, adventure races, 24hr / 12 hr, XC, Enduro and DH since the late 80s, this does not make me an expert over everyone else or what you know, but through injury and other experiences, ride experience over allot of regions countries Im rarely wrong when I help someone, however thats in person so this is only based on what I can interpret from you and what you tell me.

You could run a 40mm Renthal for example, they do a FG 50!

Before you do this though, the bike in Orange complete, it will come with a 30mm Stoic.

Everyone, I recommend you, DO NOT, DO NOT let your LBS cut your steerer ever!

Ive always left stack on top of a stem regardless of positon, but with modern geo headtube lengths bar widths and now with terrain we are pushing into having the ability to tune your stack instead of angle sets off set bushings etc is key, before trying that route and really messing overall performance up, unless you want to compromise certain aspects eg font care about riding all day or climbing, still don't get this myself.
    We did this in the past because bikes weren't aggressive enough and suspension wasn't good enough, its come along way in 2 years even a year!

Ive using this concept doing this for sometime, but look at Fabian Barrel It was his think that acutally turned my thinking around back in late 2000s when head tubes were still quite tall and due to my injury also.

But this has worked for many others Ive converted, maybe not for everyone, not everyone is open to this either, I had a rider as it turns out yesterday helping with this exact subject I was setting up his bike and cockpit over his usual setup. Fork we fitted had plenty of steerer tube so we could experiment, went from a 50mm stem to 40stem, not a Mondraker bike btw. He also set new PRs text me this morning saying how stoked he was he was buzzing and No worries mate, what bike do you ride now! before this has not been happy, even though riding faster than the setup before that, this is how or what he had hoped for.
    I still blew him away uphill lol him on his 40mm and me on my high stack 10mm love that. Though he bested my time on my own trail I manage and maintain and build **** on, Im heading back in soon to smash that and reclaim it, pretty tired legs this week, but cant have that!

So once you have a stack setup right where your back and comfort on your hands shoulders feet legs feels right, another tip here pain anywhere, is usually a setup miscalulation its often not what you think it is like stem length for example.

So stack, then for someone like you LR consider bar width, wider bar increases your reach without having to lengthen the stem, if you find you actually need it, don't change things until you have tried them even if stock OEM, otherwise you wont know what you have improved or changed, this will let you know which direction you are heading, eg improvement or worse especially important when changing brands, forget what specs say thats a rough guide.

Wider bars, 10mm either side (20mm in total) will roughly translate to 10mm stem increase say 30-40mm dont qoute me on this but it works I have done this extensivley long before short and wide was the buzz word, guys can tell you I was pulling friends and collegues into this in the late 90s and early 2000s kicking and screaming then years later they would say you are right wish we had listened sooner, doh haha.

So stack, bar width, then crank length, I would also recomend a 150mm dropper post.

But understand what ever you ride now unless equivelent in travel rules you maybe using are a base only and then you have to re adjust when you go up in travel due to the balance point on the bike, reach only comes into sizing after that for cockpit setup.

Wheels I currently have and trying to replace, seemingly hard to get Mavic here at mo unless I buy online which Id rather not do.

e13 TRS+ they are a narrow rim light, too light for me and only 28h double butted spokes also too soft for me, so the wheels are really an XC wheel imo not an Enduro wheel or a very light build Enduro wheel not in weight they are lightish but light in stiffness. Good for a lighter rider on narrower tires maybe.

They are strong, Ive given them a beating, no dents straight and true, they roll well and run fast, but flex allot for me, no std 28h rim works for me the only wheelsets that work for me under 32h have been DeeMaxs and Mavic SLs I had on a single speed 29er a few years back, Crossmarks and Crosslinks which they stopped making as they were so good so reliable they made they replaced the links with the Crossmark so people, would buy new wheels or parts more regulary. I went away from Mavic then.

Bike begs for stiff fast wheelset.

So before making too many measurements re static online info go find one to test if poss, or you need to take a punt or try one with someone who is open to setup.

I had this same converstaion the other day with another guy looking at a Foxy a very good rider, I wasnt trying to tell him he is wrong, but straight away he was like I would rather be on a small frame and longer stem slammed, wrong, he would be a medium on a short stem and I bet it wouldnt be slammed, hes used to a 100mm FS DJ bike he trail rides, the Foxy he wants 5" travel now will perform better once he understands it, cant come in with preconcieved ideas on these bikes, ime, its a base experience at most what you know now.

Most who ride mine or test the other one I picuted earlier the red Dune are always surprised at how normal they feel, yet look so different. Its normal not because of what you have now, but because its right and it works for mtb, you wont need to mess round trying to re invent the wheel with this puppy except for maybe upgrading spec, but Mondraker specifications look good for 2015.

Anyway let me know or show a side elevation pci of your current bike be interesting, sorry if I have missed it previously!

Cheers Mav
    ps sorry for the long winded reply, try to keep it short, just my passion and loving these bikes.
    Last edited by Maverick005; 08-28-2014 at 05:18 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anybody fitted a coil shock to a Dune? Any clearance issues? Thanks.
    I borrowed an Elka Stage 5, 200x57, from a friend, and tried yesterday:

Mondraker Foxy XR 27.5-elka.jpg

Same problem as with the DBinline, the shape of the lower linkage conflicts with the spring bracket, (as well as the upper part of the DBinline is too wide and touches the frame when compressed). The Cane Creek DBCoil might be used, as it has around 5mm longer distance from the center of eyelet to the spring bracket. I wish someone could test this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oystein, thanks for posting.

Looks like the BOS Kirk would fit, but not sure about the Stoy or Void. What do you think?

Shocks: Bos Mountain Bike Suspension

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Maverick is using one of these without problems I believe

X Fusion Shox - Vector Air HLR

So maybe their coil version would fit as well?

X Fusion Shox - VECTOR Coil HLR

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have been considering the Vector Air, but I think I would like to have a factory tuned version that have a little lower comp/rebound (adjustable) interval than the standard one, due to the lower leverage ratio for the Foxy, compared to more DH oriented rigs I believe the Vector is targeting. I have not found out if I will succeed getting a custom tune, but my Norwegian representative is investigating the issue.

The BOS Kirk is too expensive, I think. I already bought a DBinline, in belief that it would fit the Foxy. Luckily, it fit my Cube Stereo, instead.

I was considering buying a used DHX Air on ebay, having the shock shipped directly to Avalanche Racing who will tune it for me, and the ship the custom tuned shock finally overseas, to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So maybe their coil version would fit as well?

X Fusion Shox - VECTOR Coil HLR
    I seems like the coil version wouldn't fit. The distance between the center of the eyelet and the bracket that supports the spring, should be somewhere between 25 to 30 mm, I conclude, by looking at the Elka, which has 20mm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OysteinS View Post
    I was considering buying a used DHX Air on ebay, having the shock shipped directly to Avalanche Racing who will tune it for me, and the ship the custom tuned shock finally overseas, to me.
    Sounds like a good idea....Avalanche have a great reputation, will be better than CC I would think.

Or one of these if it would fit?

Piggyback shock

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    OR you could get a Float X mod

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Fox DHX/Fox Float X Highlow Adjuster Kit.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Maverick

Thanks for your detailed analysis.

Some details: I'm 6ft 3.5 ins 95kg

Bike is 642 TT, 50 stem, 800 wide x 35 rise bars, 10 spacer under stem, 10 layback, 64 deg HA, 355 BB, 650b front, 26 rear, 180 fork run with ZS giving a to c same as most 170's.

Next experiment will be lowering BB with aid of offset bushings and reverting back to the steeper shock position thereby maintaining the present head angle.

Have you taken a look at the Light Bicyle carbon wheels?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yeah, the Ava mod for the Float X really looks really interesting. The reason I bought the DBinline was to have the option to tune the LSC/HSC settings myself, to get a better idea on how different settings influenced my ride. I will most likely change my style of riding during the next years (HTFU). Thanks for the suggestion, I overlooked that one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hi guys thought i would post my 2014 foxy r - black edition for you all. same spec as standard foxy r but they did a limited run of black editions. looking at getting the 160mm pikes but would the geometry change drastically. I know the XR comes with 160mm forks but only 10mm stem so if i put 160mm pikes on but keep the 30mm stem from the foxy r would it change the geo much?? or not so much that i wouldn't notice.
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Wow kester, that looks really sharp. You almost have to do it just and get a black pike on there.

The bike was designed around being able to use a 160 up front. Therefore as a result of this design from inception, the seat angle stays nicely forward at 74deg. This means it can still be ridden up and down capably. However, as in all bikes, the less travel version will always be a fraction better on the ups and manoeuvring.

But other than for getting more black, you put the longer fork on for the extra benefits, and the pay off is the reward.

The thing to consider here is the progressive geometry, that all the big brands a copying to some degree. This geo is highly capable, super confident - having the extra travel befits the bikes capability.

As far as stem length is concerned, does the 30mm suit your reach - if so, then leave it as it is. Yes, the handling will change. The bike will be slacker and therefore will need more rider input, or should I say, positive input to make it do what you want it to. The upside is that the feedback is commensurate. The set up is better for faster, rougher and steeper riding. If you ride the flats 80% of the time, leave it as a 140 up front. It's a super confident bike at 140 as well.

Great looking bike, enjoy.

W

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi there,

just ordered a 2015 foxy frame. Has anything put a Monarch Plus on their bike? I have a 2013 santa cruz blur lt 2 carbon with a rp23 TDC which I find sucks. I see it comes on my new frame as well.

Thanks,

dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by depeche4 View Post
    Has anything put a Monarch Plus on their bike?
    I have ordered one, a Monarch Plus Debonair. I am expecting to receive it later today, and I'll report my discoveries tonight (CET).

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast