mtbr member
    May 2018

Marin Hawk Hill Size

Hi, I am a noob. I've been a noob for one week.

Question is I am 6'2" 220lbs and the bike shop I went to put me on a Hawk Hill size large. Manufacturer says I should be on the XL frame. Should I be? Was I sold what they had or because I am new at this I should be on the large frame?

I hope they wouldn't sell something that wasn't right but I have seen people sell what they have if it works. I want what's best for my size. And am I fine with a 650b or would a 29er been more appropriate?

Feels good to me but I haven't ridden on any trails yet due to all of the flooding going on and my last bike is a little aged and nowhere close to being as nice as this Marin.

Thanks for your feedback

mtbr member
    Large starts about 5'9 for some, 5'10 for most. You're at the tall end of a large for sure, and probably better off with an XL.

Tons of shops will stuff you on what's in stock, not what fits best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I'm 5'9 and I ride a Medium Frame. Large is definitely too big for me - I feel stretched on it. The HH seems a bit more spread out than many other bikes I've ridden and the Medium is very comfortable.

You may be fine on a Large depending on your legs vs torso. If you tend to have long arms, you may like the XL better - worst case you can change out the stem to a 60mm or even 70mm on the L. The only way to know for sure though is to ride both sizes...

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Thanks. I spoke with them today and I believe they put me on the right bike. Just wanted to make sure since it is hands down the best bike I've owned and plan on adding a drop post and go tubeless. All new to me.