Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 168
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160

    Looking for best 27.5 for around $3500

    I want to demo some bikes this spring and pick up a 27.5 so far on the top of my list is a Giant Trance (rode it in Park City). I am looking for a bike that has approximately 5 inches of travel and is mostly used for cross country but some enduro/ down hill from time to time. It needs to climb! What are some other good options. I read a lot of articles but would like some personal input from fellow riders. $3500 plus or minus is my budget, it is sad but not a lot in the bike world.... Thanks again.

    Maybe??
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Intense 275 Tracer
    Scott (not sure on prices)
    Trek Remedy
    GT
    Pivot

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    NORCO! You can get a brand new carbon framed bike for around your pricepoint. A lesser build but you can upgrade parts over time. The Sight might be what your looking for, it will be the 160mm carbon Range for me!

  3. #3
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,672
    SoCal is right, Norco probably offers the best bang for the buck these days, and even if their suspension design or color schemes aren't perfect, they are still pretty dang good especially if you're more of a XC rider than a downhill guy.

    I rode a 140mm Norco Sight, bottom of the barrel build (heavy), and 160mm Intense Carbine and I couldn't tell much of a difference in the way they rode, other than I felt the Norco needed a 160mm fork.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    203
    Santa Cruz Bronson

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by slowpok92 View Post
    Santa Cruz Bronson
    So you could have upright outdated geo and VPP that gets hung up & is lazy and inactive. Indeed...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    So you could have upright outdated geo and VPP that gets hung up & is lazy and inactive. Indeed...

    Interesting but anyways the best thing you can do is go demo any of the bikes on your list and choose the one you think fits best.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    902
    the Kona process 134 is in that spot - but likely 1-2lbs heavier than others mentioned

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    661
    Turner Burner with the Trail build is $3500, it's 10% off today only if you use the code "cybermonday"

    https://www.turnerbikes.com/2013-tur...ner-burner-exp

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    389
    I'm in the exact same position as the OP, really leaning towards that Norco carbon sight. Seems like such a screaming deal, esp when compared against the sb75al which is also high on my list. I really like the Trance's I've demo'd but already have a giant, kind of want to try something new.

    Really leaning towards carbon b/c I'm getting tired of lugging my 32 lb anthem around when my friends have 160mm bikes that weigh 5 lbs less. -_-

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    Full disclosure: I'm buying this bike without riding it. Looking into the Devinci Troy might be worth a few minutes. For the XP tier(3k), you get an alu bike with a Pike up front and a solid SRAM X7 component group. Little known fact, Devinci sends their bikes to dealers completely unassembled and allows customers to mix and match frame and parts kits. Why this is interesting is that you can get the carbon frame with the XP kit for $3500. Bonus: the carbon frame comes with a Fox Factory shock with the Kashima coating in the price of the frame. This is what I'm doing. For $3500 you get a carbon frame with fully internal routing, a Pike up front, K Fox in the back, and a solid component group. Can't beat that man. Small issue of being able to demo one.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    389
    Interesting that even the carbon troy is 30 lbs with SLX gruppo. Probably the same with the lighter pike but heavier X7 / no dropper.

    I was thinking the Norco was going to be closer to 28 lbs with X7/X9+dropper mix.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    The base Troy carbon package includes the dropper, so there's your weight. The frame is a half pound less than the Alu version. So, it should be coming in a hair over 29 lbs with the carbon frame + XP kit( if Devinci's weights are correct). I'm planning on going 1 x 10 and setting up the Hans Dampfs tubeless. For less than $150, that should drop the weight a pound and a half. Not bad to spend $3650 and have a full carbon bike thats under 28lbs( again if the published weights are correct).

    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Interesting that even the carbon troy is 30 lbs with SLX gruppo. Probably the same with the lighter pike but heavier X7 / no dropper.

    I was thinking the Norco was going to be closer to 28 lbs with X7/X9+dropper mix.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    The one thing I noticed is that a lot of bikes come with the Rockshox Fork in the $3K price range which is one thing I want to avoid. I just sold a HiFi Pro with a Fox Fork and have a hard tail now with a Reba RL on it and I 100% prefer the Fox. Turner, Devinci and Norco all look like interesting options. I am pretty sure I would prefer an alum bike over carbon if I can get a better component group for the same price. I so have some great components on my hard tail I could swap over on a cheaper build.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jmallory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    973
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    The one thing I noticed is that a lot of bikes come with the Rockshox Fork in the $3K price range which is one thing I want to avoid. I just sold a HiFi Pro with a Fox Fork and have a hard tail now with a Reba RL on it and I 100% prefer the Fox. Turner, Devinci and Norco all look like interesting options. I am pretty sure I would prefer an alum bike over carbon if I can get a better component group for the same price. I so have some great components on my hard tail I could swap over on a cheaper build.
    A lot of people are going the opposite direction and upgrading their Fox fork with the new Pike. RS is making a great product at the moment.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Interesting... I have not personally ridden a Pike, def. something to keep in mind. I have a RS Reba RL 29er now from 2013 and it is so so....

    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    A lot of people are going the opposite direction and upgrading their Fox fork with the new Pike. RS is making a great product at the moment.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    Interesting that even the carbon troy is 30 lbs with SLX gruppo. Probably the same with the lighter pike but heavier X7 / no dropper.

    I was thinking the Norco was going to be closer to 28 lbs with X7/X9+dropper mix.
    Just for some info, My aluminum Norco Sight is less than 26 lbs without pedals. Also, no dropper. Stock stem and post. I posted the build in this forum under "2014 Norco Sight Build".
    Last edited by Goldberm; 12-04-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: additional infp

  17. #17
    Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Reputation: PHeller's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,672
    The Range is probably 3-4lbs heavier than the Sight with a dropper. More travel = more material on the suspension, bigger tires, and the dropper obviously adds some weight.

    I'd think a 23-24lbs Sight Carbon is doable though, especially if you go nuts with the carbon (bars, cranks, post, wheels, etc) so that means a Range Carbon could probably get darn close to 26lbs in full carbon bling.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    I have been browsing around the 27.5 forums and surprised no one has mentioned the Yeti it seems to get pretty good reviews and to my surprise the sb75 is $2900.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    389
    Sb75a piqued my interest as well, esp the 2014's with the carbon rear end / more tire clearance.

    However, the bike is still 'heavy' and you can get a carbon sight (for example) with similar-ish components for only a little more (no dropper on yeti base package IIRC).

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    45
    I too debated between the norco sight and the giant trance. But ended up buying the Giant Trance alum 1 27.5. The reason internal dropper post, xt cranks& rear derailer, and slx brakes. What sealed the deal for me buying the giant was the fox talus fork, If it will help me get to the top of one rooty rocky tech climb and my buddy's don't make it money well spent. I look at it this way anyone can go downhill but if you can make a technical climb that your riding partners don't there is nothing better.
    I really find it difficult to find any fault with the giant Trance alum 1 build only that I have nothing that I need to upgrade and that does make it a little boring.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Someone else just mentioned a Kona Process beside the one post above and they really love it, the list goes on and on.... haha...
    I still think the Trance is on the top of my list and the Norco and Turner are creeping up.

    KONA BIKES | 2014 BIKES | ENDURO | PROCESS 153

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    389
    The Process 153 is nice but it's a lot of bike. Given all the climbing around here in SoCal I was leaning more towards the 134 iteration. My current list, in no particular order goes:
    Trance x1
    Yeti SB75a
    Norco Sight carbon
    Kona process 134
    RM altitude
    Knolly Endo (I know it's a 26er)
    Devinci Troy carbon

    Which doesn't really narrow anything down, feel like that's 3/4 of what's on market. There are definitely some hard choices at this price point, and that's a good thing!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    I think the Turner and Scott Genius needs to be added to that list!

    Quote Originally Posted by probiscus View Post
    The Process 153 is nice but it's a lot of bike. Given all the climbing around here in SoCal I was leaning more towards the 134 iteration. My current list, in no particular order goes:
    Trance x1
    Yeti SB75a
    Norco Sight carbon
    Kona process 134
    RM altitude
    Knolly Endo (I know it's a 26er)
    Devinci Troy carbon

    Which doesn't really narrow anything down, feel like that's 3/4 of what's on market. There are definitely some hard choices at this price point, and that's a good thing!

  24. #24
    Kaj
    Kaj is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Kaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,165
    I vote for either one of these. They are the best 2 options. You may ask why I would say so, but that's not necessary, just take my word for it

    Trance x1
    Kona process 134

    Of them all the Kona is the fastest looking too. We have demo's of both in case you're interested in trying again.
    Kona Wo for Fat Biking, Ibis HD3 for Trail Shredding, Merckx Road bike for collecting dust

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    You know we can't just take your word for it, details please!


    Quote Originally Posted by Kaj View Post
    I vote for either one of these. They are the best 2 options. You may ask why I would say so, but that's not necessary, just take my word for it

    Trance x1
    Kona process 134

    Of them all the Kona is the fastest looking too. We have demo's of both in case you're interested in trying again.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    656
    If I didn't love my Nickle conversion, I'd be all over a Norco

  27. #27
    jrm
    jrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jrm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,707
    That Trance is a nice looking sled. Theres also the burner "trail" build which has serious upgrade potential.

  28. #28
    Just a flesh wound
    Reputation: Prophet Julio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,052
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    So you could have upright outdated geo and VPP that gets hung up & is lazy and inactive. Indeed...
    I have ridden the newer Tallboy and I don't find that description to be fitting. I liked the feel of it very much. But I am riding a converted Prophet, so my standards are pretty low. But I was going to check out the Bronson and 5010 due to my experience with the Santa Cruz VPP.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    I have not read anything negative about SC bikes they just seem pricey. I def want to demo some this spring. The Bronson looks amazing but maybe too much for trail riding.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,599
    Strange that Norco is a Canadian company, but here in Canada their prices are higher than in the USA, but for some reason the Giant Trance is cheaper than in the USA, so for me, in the $3000-3500cdn price range, the Trance and Trance SX are better value than the Sight or Troy. The high-end carbon versions of all 3 are priced a bit high, but what was said about the cheaper carbon models being "more upgrades worthy" makes good sense.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    507
    I can vouch for the Altitude. My brother just got one, and it's legit. The Ride 9 thing is pretty slick. My only issue with it is the short top tube. I had the sensation I was riding on top of the bike and not in it. Just my $.02.

  32. #32
    Proud lame eBiker
    Reputation: Internal14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,641
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    I can vouch for the Altitude. My brother just got one, and it's legit. The Ride 9 thing is pretty slick. My only issue with it is the short top tube. I had the sensation I was riding on top of the bike and not in it. Just my $.02.
    The Ride9 definitely is great for getting a bike to ride exactely the way that YOU want it to. I've been on mine for the year and feel very dialed in on this bike. Climbs great! and that's even in the 'dh-fat guy' Ride9 adjustment. And it definitely is solid on the downs as well. That being said, that's one fault I have with it. Me being 245lbs of dh wanna-be flying down a hill, when it comes to having to get hard on the brakes into a corner, that also has a drop in it, I can feel the front end get a little vague. Pretty sure it's the carbon front end pushing around under all my weight and what I'm asking the bike to do in that instance. Not a deal breaker by any means, just something I've noticed.

    As for the top tube shortness....I do feel a little upright, but I've grown accustomed to it. Actually l like it now. It only feels odd the first ride or two you take on it, especially if there are long flat road sections to link the trail up on. But otherwise, climbing with it is a snap. Amazing how that front end does indeed stay down.

    And when you point the sucker downhill and stand up on the pedals in your attack position the bike absolutely comes alive! out of the saddle hammering from corner to corner, drop after drop, it just feels right.

    ya ya ya ya....RM Altitude! ;-)
    www.velocitybicycles.comWhere customers become friends, not simply a dollar sign.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Sorry but what is a Ride9 and altitude?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    Sorry but what is a Ride9 and altitude?
    Altitude | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    That is the Altitude. The Ride 9 is the marketing term for Rocky's adjustable geometry.
    Ride 9 || Rocky Mountain Bicycles

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    That is a nice looking bike, I really like the 750 MSL. I dont know much about RM's other than my wife rented one the last time we went to Salt Lake City and she really enjoyed it. It amazes me how many options are out there. I wish you could go to one event and try them all

    Quote Originally Posted by bballboy388 View Post
    Altitude | Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    That is the Altitude. The Ride 9 is the marketing term for Rocky's adjustable geometry.
    Ride 9 || Rocky Mountain Bicycles

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    That is a nice looking bike, I really like the 750 MSL. I dont know much about RM's other than my wife rented one the last time we went to Salt Lake City and she really enjoyed it. It amazes me how many options are out there. I wish you could go to one event and try them all
    I have a Rocky Mountain Altitude. It is an incredible climber. I have mine down at around 26.5 lbs or so. It should be one to consider on your list.
    Looking for best 27.5 for around 00-20131129_150505.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  37. #37
    ride all day
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    190

    Looking for best 27.5 for around $3500

    I ride a Intense Tracer 275 and it is AWESOME. So quick and playful, pedals great w/VPP and has been great for all day epics. Sadly I'm selling it though(PM if interested), but i am also looking for something with a little less travel and lighter. Good luck on your search!

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    My friend has an older Intense Slope Style which I must say I am not a huge fan of which makes me nervous about the new Tracers although I am sure it is night and day.

    Quote Originally Posted by ridonkulus View Post
    I ride a Intense Tracer 275 and it is AWESOME. So quick and playful, pedals great w/VPP and has been great for all day epics. Sadly I'm selling it though(PM if interested), but i am also looking for something with a little less travel and lighter. Good luck on your search!

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: binrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    183

    Consider RM Altitude

    I have to give Rocky Altitude high marks for all round riding as well. I have the 730 with a few upgrades and it simply rocks. It was my work bike this past summer while I was bike patrolling over 40 hours a week. It took all the XC and DH I could throw at it with no major problems (well except a few flats that is). I upgraded the fork to the Pike and what a difference it made. Alittle heavier that the Revelation but worthwhile.
    Name:  2013-09-23 15.09.36.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  46.1 KB
    Last edited by binrat; 12-13-2013 at 08:51 PM. Reason: fat fingers

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    15
    Trance, Bronson, and Turner Burner, are all gonna have the best suspension designs. Can't go wrong with any of those. Good luck.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    What about La Pierre bikes? My local shop just started carrying them. Looks pretty nice

    Lapierre Bicycles - Zesty AM 427
    Last edited by Jolly705; 12-15-2013 at 10:21 AM.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    I have to admit right now the Santa Cruz's are leading the way. I really like the Bronson and 5010

    Santa Cruz Bicycles 5010 Aluminum


    Santa Cruz Bicycles Bronson Aluminum

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    108
    I'm getting a 5010 for the type of riding you're describing. I demoed the Bronson yesterday and loved the ride downhill. The bike is stiff and tracks excellently through corners. The geometry seemed very optimized for descending, and fit me well. In the uphills it is just too much bike for me. It definitely is too much bike for my daily xc riding around my house. The Solo is the better choice for my local trail network, but it can still jump into a few enduro races too.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Skey44
    I am thinking the exact same thing you are, I love the bronson but think it is too much bike. 90% of my riding will be XC and not Enduro and that seems better suited for it. The more I am reading up I am learning on what bikes to knock off my list

    Quote Originally Posted by skey44 View Post
    I'm getting a 5010 for the type of riding you're describing. I demoed the Bronson yesterday and loved the ride downhill. The bike is stiff and tracks excellently through corners. The geometry seemed very optimized for descending, and fit me well. In the uphills it is just too much bike for me. It definitely is too much bike for my daily xc riding around my house. The Solo is the better choice for my local trail network, but it can still jump into a few enduro races too.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    143
    Has anyone mentioned the Scott Genius line? I am looking hard at the 740, the 730 may be doable for the op price wise. They have 150mm of travel and have the handlebar lockout system which would help with climbing. They look pretty slick and come with a good spec, only thing I would change is a double up front instead of a triple. Sounds like there were issues with the 2013 shock which has been fixed for the 2014 models.

    SCOTT Genius 730 Bike - SCOTT Sports

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,670
    Santa Cruz Bronson or 5010

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    42

    Re: Looking for best 27.5 for around $3500

    Go with Scott.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post
    I too debated between the norco sight and the giant trance. But ended up buying the Giant Trance alum 1 27.5. The reason internal dropper post, xt cranks& rear derailer, and slx brakes.......
    Ditto!
    I too drooled over the Sight Killer B for while.
    Closest dealer that had one was 4 hrs away.

    Loving my Trance 1.
    Great XT/SLX package, Decent FOX bouncers, Nice dropper post with clean setup. Geometry is spot on. Maestro suspension is tried and true.
    This bike rails and makes me smile.
    Just a great Do-all bike with an awesome parts package and lots of dealer support almost everywhere.

    I got mine for $3299.00
    Last edited by Garrick_s; 12-18-2013 at 01:01 AM. Reason: additions

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    15
    If most of your riding is cross country the turner flux is awesome. I rode one in Vegas at interbike and was very impressed. One of the best if not the best do anything bike I've ever ridden. Just a thought.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    The flux looks nice and I have not read anything bad about the burner either. I kind of want 130-140mm travel.

    Quote Originally Posted by ladk387 View Post
    If most of your riding is cross country the turner flux is awesome. I rode one in Vegas at interbike and was very impressed. One of the best if not the best do anything bike I've ever ridden. Just a thought.

  51. #51
    Maromero
    Reputation: doccoraje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    The flux looks nice and I have not read anything bad about the burner either. I kind of want 130-140mm travel.
    Not bad at all, still, I can't find the specs
    New TR Build Kits Now Shipping | Turner Blog

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    I have looked all around and just got off the telephone with Turner, ordered a Flux with the trail build. Really nice folks, it's been a great process so far.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by doccoraje View Post
    Not bad at all, still, I can't find the specs
    New TR Build Kits Now Shipping | Turner Blog
    It's there!!!!
    Turner Bikes - Turner Bikes - Turner Flux Exp

  54. #54
    Maromero
    Reputation: doccoraje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,499
    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    Thanks

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Congrats!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    I have looked all around and just got off the telephone with Turner, ordered a Flux with the trail build. Really nice folks, it's been a great process so far.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    234
    Thanks. I think it will be a good bike that will last a long time!

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    337
    turner flux!
    2015 Kona Unit
    2007 Lemond Wayzata

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    A lot of votes for Turner..........

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    67
    I got my trance sx for just over 3500! Great bike!

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Madman43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    319
    Good choice, better than giant anyday...you will love your Turner!

  61. #61
    The Next 100 Miler
    Reputation: MarkP's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    232
    Great deal on my Santa Cruz Solo 5010 here.

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Madman43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    319
    Great deal full xt, Dig the Santa Cruz, next bike for me is the Tallboy...test riding 5010 and Tallboy one more time, been leaning towards the TB.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pulpwoody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    Full disclosure: I'm buying this bike without riding it. Looking into the Devinci Troy might be worth a few minutes. For the XP tier(3k), you get an alu bike with a Pike up front and a solid SRAM X7 component group. Little known fact, Devinci sends their bikes to dealers completely unassembled and allows customers to mix and match frame and parts kits. Why this is interesting is that you can get the carbon frame with the XP kit for $3500. Bonus: the carbon frame comes with a Fox Factory shock with the Kashima coating in the price of the frame. This is what I'm doing. For $3500 you get a carbon frame with fully internal routing, a Pike up front, K Fox in the back, and a solid component group. Can't beat that man. Small issue of being able to demo one.

    I bought the carbon Troy about a month ago after testing just about every major 650 bike out there. Kona, Giant, Pivot, Rocky Mountain, Trek, Banshee. The Troy won. I built mine up custom, but the AL version is a hulluva good deal, and it comes with Pike, which is BALLER!!!

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    I wish I could demo the Troy, they look pretty nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by pulpwoody View Post
    I bought the carbon Troy about a month ago after testing just about every major 650 bike out there. Kona, Giant, Pivot, Rocky Mountain, Trek, Banshee. The Troy won. I built mine up custom, but the AL version is a hulluva good deal, and it comes with Pike, which is BALLER!!!

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldroadie_NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    Trance 1 rocks!

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    272
    Bike Mag is raving about the GT Sensor's suspension. You could probably get the Expert for $3600, maybe even $3500. I am waiting for the demo to arrive at my shop. It was originally supposed to be here almost a month ago. I'm getting anxious.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MI-29er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    536
    After reading all the reviews and opinions, it seems most everyone likes the Trance. And mostly of everyone rides xc. So why hasn't anyone looked at the Anthem? Or is it that everyone wants the 140mm travel?
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5
    2015 Giant TCX SLR 2

    SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    I would rather giant offered a trance 27.5 with 125mm travel. I love my 2012 trance 26 er but can see the advantage of the 27.5 wheel size. So it has me looking at bikes like the 5010 and yeti sb75 .I find for my riding style and terrain .I do not need 140 mom bike.

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldroadie_NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    I demo'ed both the 2014 Trance Advanced and the Anthem Advanced. To me, the Trance offered a plusher ride, more predictable handling/better control, yet seemed to perform just as well as the Anthem on uphill sections. The Anthem was noticeably twitchier and harsher on roots and rocks. Both are awesome bikes but I decided that the Trance just suited me better, so I ended up with the Trance 1, which has excellent components for $3,500 (though I probably will be upgrading the wheels later this year). Plus, the Giant warranty and dealer network is pretty hard to beat.

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Zerort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    I would rather giant offered a trance 27.5 with 125mm travel. I love my 2012 trance 26 er but can see the advantage of the 27.5 wheel size. So it has me looking at bikes like the 5010 and yeti sb75 .I find for my riding style and terrain .I do not need 140 mom bike.

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    Isn't that the Anthem? The Rock shox build on the Anthem goes to 120 mm by removing the spacer. Do you need the extra 5mm?
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    It is more about the more trail geometry of the trance for me . I have a bad lower back so the more up right position of the trance helps

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KrisRayner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    446

    Looking for best 27.5 for around $3500

    I was considering a Yeti SB75...total Yeti fanboy. But they just weren't available and I picked up a Bronson alloy for 3k from my LBS. Gotta say it's really well balanced bike and great pedaling too. Granted its compared to my old Yeti Asr7, but I'm looking forward to doing an enduro race on it.

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Sooooo after a lot of reading and browsing the internet I finally ended up with a 27.5 BUT it was not one on my original list. A friend of mine has the same bike and always spoke super highly of it so I considered it but never really thought I would buy one.
    Well at approximately 60% off I scored a 2013 Jamis Dakar Pro XCT 650B. It was a deal I could not pass up. The bike has full XO components and weighs in around 27lbs. I should expect delivery in about a week, woohooo.....

    Dakar XCT 650 Pro

    130mm travel, 12×142 rear
    Rock Shox Revelation 650B RCT3 fork
    Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock
    American Classic tubeless
    SRAM XO 2×10 (38/24) w/ Type 2 RD
    SRAM XO brakes
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph’s
    Crank Brothers cockpit
    MSRP $4800. USD


  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Single_Trak_Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    Sooooo after a lot of reading and browsing the internet I finally ended up with a 27.5 BUT it was not one on my original list. A friend of mine has the same bike and always spoke super highly of it so I considered it but never really thought I would buy one.
    Well at approximately 60% off I scored a 2013 Jamis Dakar Pro XCT 650B. It was a deal I could not pass up. The bike has full XO components and weighs in around 27lbs. I should expect delivery in about a week, woohooo.....

    Dakar XCT 650 Pro

    130mm travel, 12×142 rear
    Rock Shox Revelation 650B RCT3 fork
    Rock Shox Monarch RT3 shock
    American Classic tubeless
    SRAM XO 2×10 (38/24) w/ Type 2 RD
    SRAM XO brakes
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph’s
    Crank Brothers cockpit
    MSRP $4800. USD

    I demoed this bike. It does NOT weigh 27 lbs. The claimed weight is 28.5. JAMIS BICYCLES.

    I weighed it with pedals and it was 31 lbs. I would strongly consider other options.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    160
    Well it is too late, I went with Jamis, I am very happy with the components so if I don't love the bike I can swap out frame for the price I purchased it for it was a no brainer.

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    237
    I just put my name on an incoming 2014 Norco Sight 7.2 Carbon and got the wheels swapped out for Arch ex's and tires to Schwalbes for $3,100. I didn't think there was a better carbon trail/all mountain bike bike out there for the buck.

    That's a Rockshox Rev 140 fork
    Full Carbon Frame except chain stay.
    XFusion Dropper Post
    Sram 2x10
    x9 type 2 rear derail
    740mm stock bars
    Arch Ex wheelset with Schwable TL rubbers

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: oldroadie_NC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30
    Congrats, sounds like you're getting an awesome deal! Enjoy the ride!

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    That's gonna be a blast & to think you upgraded the wheels too is a big plus.

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    3

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation: socalMX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,275
    Quote Originally Posted by Fido Dido View Post
    Nukeproof mega am 275?


    Mega AM 275
    Looks cool but the weight & shortish top tube turn me off.

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    I have to admit right now the Santa Cruz's are leading the way. I really like the Bronson and 5010

    Santa Cruz Bicycles 5010 Aluminum


    Santa Cruz Bicycles Bronson Aluminum
    I almost pulled the string on the poorman's bronson (aluminum). LBS had good deal at $3k plus tax but my buddy talked me out of it bc the bike is so heavy. I think 31-32 lbs.

    Have no clue how much the solo AL weighs.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Single_Trak_Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    91
    Quote Originally Posted by dubdee View Post
    I almost pulled the string on the poorman's bronson (aluminum). LBS had good deal at $3k plus tax but my buddy talked me out of it bc the bike is so heavy. I think 31-32 lbs.

    Have no clue how much the solo AL weighs.
    Have you considered the Giant Anthem Advanced 2? It is $3500 and weighs 26lbs out of the box. Also the Scott Spark 730 is $3800 and weighs 27lbs...more travel and a bit more slack than the Anthem.

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GnarBrahWyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,670
    The 5010 aluminum will weigh a pound or two lighter than the aluminum base Bronson. It will also pedal better since the bike is designed to be more of an all around bike as opposed to a bike designed to huck off drops.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    587
    For $3500, should get carbon frame, like other poster, norco bike is my first choice.
    Or even ibis mojo SL special blend for $2750, then convert to 650b, add dropper post, add carbon bar, sell the stock wheel set, post and bar, make it 1x10 (if you don't use granny that much), all in all within $3500, bike weight under 26lbs with candy pedals..😀😀

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,599
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trak_Mind View Post
    Have you considered the Giant Anthem Advanced 2? It is $3500 and weighs 26lbs out of the box. Also the Scott Spark 730 is $3800 and weighs 27lbs...more travel and a bit more slack than the Anthem.
    Anthem is much more XC than Solo/Bronson, but Trance would be an option, can be bought with 140 or 160 fork.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    733
    Norco Sight Carbon 7.2 is where is at ... 3545.00 MSRP gets you one nice monocoque frame ...can't go wrong with that... and if you find a good dealer it can be had for less. If you need more info call us - 415-453-0333 we carry Norco and have them in stock right now.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,631
    I agree, Norco Sight is a killer deal...
    The reviews are very favorable as well.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    I ended up ordering carbon troy with xp build has a pike up front ctd kashima in back and x7 build for 3500 and I got mine for way less than that

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    I ended up ordering carbon troy with xp build has a pike up front ctd kashima in back and x7 build for 3500 and I got mine for way less than that

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk

    Can I ask where you got it? Your LBS or online somewhere?

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    Lbs and I used to work there so that helped

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    733

    available to all

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    I agree, Norco Sight is a killer deal...
    The reviews are very favorable as well.

    Thanks and best of all it is available to anybody at that price.....anyone can walk in and get one.....cheers!

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    With a 32 mm fork

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    733

    it is up to you

    Quote Originally Posted by aarontriton View Post
    With a 32 mm fork

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    Not necessarily , we can upgrade you to that pike or any other and take that Revelation in trade in...no questions ask...that is how we roll....have a nice day.....

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    There is no doubt the norco is great bike . I just wanted the pike and had a budget to stay with . So trading a fork a paying the difference to upgrade just wasn't gonna fly for me. But that is great that you offer that to your customers.

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    733
    We agree, you worked for a shop that carried that bike that you bought...It makes sense...but not all the people that hang out here are former bike shop employees so for them we offer many options so that they can have their dream bike... we hope you enjoy your new ride...keep those wheels burnin...cheers

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by Single_Trak_Mind View Post
    Have you considered the Giant Anthem Advanced 2? It is $3500 and weighs 26lbs out of the box. Also the Scott Spark 730 is $3800 and weighs 27lbs...more travel and a bit more slack than the Anthem.
    I ended up getting the trance 27.5 1 a few weeks ago. Swapped out dropper post for Giant carbon post + went tubeless with stock wheels and tires set up. Bike currently weighs 27lb 10 oz.

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    320
    I looked hard at the trance 1. I have owned two trances an 2007 and a 2012 and have nothing but good to say about it. I just wanted to try something different and went troy carbon xp build. Enjoy your trance I am sure you will love it

    Sent from my Z750C using Tapatalk
    2014 Devinci Carbon Troy Xp
    2015 Mongoose Vinson Fat bike

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    33
    Yeah, but what's your bike's weight and how much did it cost for the initial build? I'm sure it's less than $3300 + tax I spent and 27lb 10oz.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    49
    Scott Spark 710 MSRP $4.699 for a 120mm full XT bike weighing 24.4 lbs looks unbeatable. I'ts the same msrp as the 910 which can be found at ebay new for $3400 and slightly used for around $2700, so as soon as the 27.5 hit the market I think they will run these same prices.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,499
    Went to order a Yeti SB75 comp large, back ordered for a month. Dammit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. first dh rig for under $3500?
    By pacing08 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM
  2. sigh..Tek 820 or 3500?
    By ryencool in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-31-2012, 05:08 PM
  3. $500 or $3500 is the question . . . .
    By Mergetrio in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
  4. Trek 3500?
    By indcolts18288 in forum Trek
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 02:54 AM
  5. Trek 3500?
    By mattbarton15 in forum Trek
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-16-2011, 10:15 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •