Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    nothing relevant to say

Good job! List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers

From my personal findings and other's. This list ill also be on my blog if y'all haven't been to it yet: http://650bpalace.blogspot.com also found at www.650Bpalace.com

Surly 1x1, no confirmation but I'm sure the Pugsley would work too.
    VooDoo Bokor (newer with sliders)
    VooDoo Wanga (newer with sliders)
    Soul Cycles Titan
    Ibex Atlas
    Haro Sonix LT
    Haro Xeon
    Specialized Myka
    Cannondale Prophet (2007+ checked)
    Gunnar Ruffian (older with horizontal dropouts)
    Gary Fisher Fat Possum
    Scott Spark 30
    Marin Rift Zone
    Kona Unit (with sliders)
    Ventana El Chamuco
    Azonic Revenge
    Specialized Enduro Elite (checked on 2007 model)

If I missed something that someone has confirmed, please add it!!!
    TIA

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Surly Instigator and Salsa Ala Carte

nothing relevant to say
    Shiggy has a 08 Ala Carte, I forgot!! Thanks! I had my speculation of the Instigator, but haven't found one to try a fit!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    fisty has a cannondale taurine that is 650b'd

i am thinking of the same frame with a lefty carbon (he has a fox fork).

nothing relevant to say
    I checked a Cannondale F3 the Neo-Moto fit, but not by much at the SS bridge.. I specifically remember Fisty saying " It works for the most part" with his CS bridge clearance being approx 7mm I'd worry about stuff jamming in there. Even a small lump of leaves. I think his goal was to have a 650B bike ready when the smaller tires hit the market! I digress, YES Fisty was able to fit a 2.3x27.5" tire into a Cannondale Taurine!
    Taurine works for the most part

mtbr member
    I am curious about a 26er On One Inbred either the older style with sliders or the newer style with the horizontal dropouts.

I'd guess that an Evil Sovereign would work as well since it almost fit a 29er - maybe an Evil DOC as well.

Just my hunches.

conjoinicorned
    fine list....

but where are the FS bikes? hardtails are made for 29er wheels, 650b is made for FS bikes IMO. anyone gonna experiment with some more FS bikes?

FWIW my balfa belair will take a 650b by the numbers, real life testing will have to wait for some cash. rocky element will not take a 2.3 (by measurement), if some smaller tires are made it would be close. my balfa 2step will easily take a 650b as it clears 2.7 DH tires with no issues.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5

Demo Program?

CHT,

You guys want to sponsor a 650B demo wheel program?
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    fine list....

but where are the FS bikes? hardtails are made for 29er wheels, 650b is made for FS bikes IMO. anyone gonna experiment with some more FS bikes?

FWIW my balfa belair will take a 650b by the numbers, real life testing will have to wait for some cash. rocky element will not take a 2.3 (by measurement), if some smaller tires are made it would be close. my balfa 2step will easily take a 650b as it clears 2.7 DH tires with no issues.
    I'm mighty tempted to buy a 2Step and say a Nixon and have at it - but at the moment I don't have the extra cash to do it.

ferday - you gotta give it a go somehow with that Belair!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    CHT,

That would kick ass!

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    I'm mighty tempted to buy a 2Step and say a Nixon and have at it - but at the moment I don't have the extra cash to do it.

ferday - you gotta give it a go somehow with that Belair!
    you aren't kidding MMcG!

after this winter of burning the credit card, my wife finally put her foot down. hopefully sometime this season i'll get a hold of some 650b wheels and resurrect the belair.

and stop being tempted, and just get a 2step already
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

nothing relevant to say
    Demo Wheels? Great idea. The Palace will look into it. I think a few more companies need to be on point, too. But, this would be a great starting point! Thanks for the idea, Kirk.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I could give some feedback on some wheels!

mtbr member
    Here's a look at a Belair - like ferday mentions:

I wonder if the tire would hit that brace though?

And here's a look at a 2Step as well:

again - would the Neomoto rub on that brace?

nothing relevant to say
    MMcG does the Neo-Moto fit in the Physlo? I was checkin on the older Duke, and it may fit in that too....

FS bikes on the list above:
    Ibex Atlas
    Haro Sonix LT
    Haro Xeon
    Cannondale Prophet (2007+ checked)
    Gary Fisher Fat Possum
    Scott Spark 30
    Marin Rift Zone
    Ventana El Chamuco
    Azonic Revenge
    Specialized Enduro Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The Pugsly should work. Mine is set up as a 29er and works great.

Sail On!

All Mix'd Upper

I just took my yeti 575 out today with a Neo-Moto up front on my 2007 Fox Talas 32 and it worked wonderfully. Really seemed to calm down the front end. It tracked very well and just rolled over rocks with ease when my 26" would feel nervous and bounce off rocks unexpectedly at times. I ran the fork at 120mm of travel and it felt just right. One unexpected thing was out of the saddle climbs felt more natural like I was on my XC bike. Found myself really pushing the speed and leaning into turns more with confidence. The down side was my rear 650B wheel definitely will not fit the Yeti. It fit at the center of the tire but just rubbed slightly at the points where the chain stays swoop in to give chainring clearance. I took some pics to share. I call this bike the All Mix'd Upper!
    Cheers Patrick
    Attached Images Attached Images

nothing relevant to say
    hows the BB height on that Pugsley??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterat Pat
    It fit at the center of the tire but just rubbed slightly at the points where the chain stays swoop in to give chainring clearance.
    You can always trim the side knobs or just bash the chainstays apart with a big hammer.

Just kidding about the bashing.
    Wanted: broken Titec 2 bolt seatpost, any size

nothing relevant to say
    I forgot the KONA Coiler Series, (2007+) will handle the Neo-Moto.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    Shiggy has a 08 Ala Carte, I forgot!! Thanks! I had my speculation of the Instigator, but haven't found one to try a fit!
    Pic of my Salsa. It is as if it was made for 650B.
    img_0779_sm.jpg
    Rides well
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday
    hardtails are made for 29er wheels, 650b is made for FS bikes .
    While I do agree the 650b is going to make full suspension bikes absolutely magical....I am not going to discount the legitity of the 650b mtb in a hardtail format. I have neo-motos in my Surly 1x1; rigid fork and all and the bike rides like a dream now. It still has that flickable bmx feel to it while still rolling much like a 29er. It's the reason why I am so pumped for a full sus in the 650b format.

btw-Nice Ala Carte Shiggy!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madnessmoose
    While I do agree the 650b is going to make full suspension bikes absolutely magical....I am not going to discount the legitity of the 650b mtb in a hardtail format. I have neo-motos in my Surly 1x1; rigid fork and all and the bike rides like a dream now. It still has that flickable bmx feel to it while still rolling much like a 29er. It's the reason why I am so pumped for a full sus in the 650b format.

btw-Nice Ala Carte Shiggy!
    I could be mistaken, but isn't Haro working on at least 1 650b FS?

Sail On!
    Anybody try the Banshee Pyre. It looks like it has loads of mud clearance and with a 12.9" BB with 26" tires the 650B won't raise it up too high.

mtbr member
    CH - I don't know if a 650b will fit in a Psylo. I no longer have that Belair or that fork.

And right now - I only have the Carver Bumblebee and that features only a rear 650b wheel.

I need a front wheel.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

can 650b on a soul cycles hooligan?

can i put on a 650b wheel/tire on my soul cycles hooligan?

i built up my soul cycles hooligan last spring (took advantage of the 69 dollars clearance cost of the frame due to blemish paint work - what blemish? its hardly noticeable! its set up as a singlespeed (32x18 - considering 34x18 this year) with manitou minute 2 100m suspension fork.

the hooligan has become my main ride!!!! prior to that i rode my full sus 02 santa cruz bullit. the bullit is overkill for singletrack riding in the DC metro area... i used to live in the bay area out in california where the bullit is definitely at home.

markymark

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Pic of my Salsa. It is as if it was made for 650B.
    img_0779_sm.jpg
    Rides well

Shiggy,

NICE!

DId Velocity get you fixed up?

I would really like to hear your impressions of the wheel size and tire performance; good, bad or ugly. It would be good if you were able to comment on the wheel size and tire performance (tread) independent of one another if possible.
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Compared to my Rush it's great. The bike rides really well as a 29'er. I never have any problem with pedal strikes. I ride some fairly technical trails.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Tire clearance is one thing and BB height is another.

Just because tires fit into a frame, doesn't mean it's going to ride properly at all. BB height changes can alter a bikes handling dramatically. 3/4" is a huge change in height. This can make an already high bike next to unusable for real riding. I really doubt that most of these bikes have been improved in anyway by this change. Rather, I am sure that most of them have been ruined. Personal testimony is usually hopeful at best.

Make sure to note the heights that these bikes end up at so that an honest assesment of the value of this wheel change can be made.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pvd

Just because tires fit into a frame, doesn't mean it's going to ride properly at all. BB height changes can alter a bikes handling dramatically. 3/4" is a huge change in height. This can make an already high bike next to unusable for real riding. I really doubt that most of these bikes have been improved in anyway by this change. Rather, I am sure that most of them have been ruined. Personal testimony is usually hopeful at best.

Make sure to note the heights that these bikes end up at so that an honest assesment of the value of this wheel change can be made.
    Have you ever thought that some people might actually be trying to raise their bb a bit through the use of these wheels.

For example - a regular Surly 1x1 around these parts where I ride = pedal strike city. I would bet that the ride on a Surly 1x1 with 650b tires would be way more enjoyable around the trails I frequent than it would be in 26" guise.

Try having an open mind every now and again pvd - you just might like living life with that kind of outlook.

pvd
    mtbr member
    Just pointing out the important detail that doesn't seem to get disscussed much.

If your bike was too low and this helps, then that's great. It's just that not all bikes are too low to start.

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark33
    can i put on a 650b wheel/tire on my soul cycles hooligan?

i built up my soul cycles hooligan last spring (took advantage of the 69 dollars clearance cost of the frame due to blemish paint work - what blemish? its hardly noticeable! its set up as a singlespeed (32x18 - considering 34x18 this year) with manitou minute 2 100m suspension fork.

the hooligan has become my main ride!!!! prior to that i rode my full sus 02 santa cruz bullit. the bullit is overkill for singletrack riding in the DC metro area... i used to live in the bay area out in california where the bullit is definitely at home.

markymark
    Chad at Soul THINKs the 1st GEN Hooligan would work, but theres no way to tell until you try. I'm thinking about getting a 08, GEN 2 Hooligan to test out. I like this because it has the EBB which can be set at it's lowest point so the BB doesn't raise up so much with the wheel size difference. Also, the GEN2 has a geared option. I'll play with my VooDoo Bokor for now, then move onto the Hooligan. As for the Minute 2:00 thatsa no-go for B'rs.

nothing relevant to say
    Just pointing out the important detail that doesn't seem to get disscussed much.

If your bike was too low and this helps, then that's great. It's just that not all bikes are too low to start.

PVD you've brought up a great point. I've been searchin for frames that can FIT the 650B, and measured a few BB heights. Until there is a 650B purpose built frame this is what, we as an industry, has to work with. I've read your WIKI site and featured a link to your 650B bike on my Blog. Hows your test bike riding?
    I really appreciate your ideas and feedback, though some would disagree.
    Thanks!

pvd
    mtbr member
    the bike works great!

I am going back to 26" though. Riding a Fox fork is just lame after being on the RS Dual Air (revelation, not 650b compatable), and the lack of tubeless and tire choice totally blows for 650b.

I will set the bike up as a leggy single speed while I wait for better forks and tires to come out for the wheel size.

Only raises a 26" bike ~1/2". 650B rims are 25mm larger than 26". I find most production frame to have too low a BB and +12mm gets them to the almost high enough range.
    mtbtires.com

pvd
    mtbr member
    I find that most bikes have too high of a bb. The lower the bb the better the bike handles (in general). If you hit pedal once or twice on surface on a ride, you are probably in the right range. Hitting some rocks that you should have planned for doesn't count. If you live in areas that have an extremely large amount of rocky riding, then this metric may be different although I've lived in the north east, four corners, and california and I have not seen any area that has to large of a percentage of terrain that messes with this.

I find that most bikes have too high of a bb. The lower the bb the better the bike handles (in general). If you hit pedal once or twice on surface on a ride, you are probably in the right range. Hitting some rocks that you should have planned for doesn't count. If you live in areas that have an extremely large amount of rocky riding, then this metric may be different although I've lived in the north east, four corners, and california and I have not seen any area that has to large of a percentage of terrain that messes with this.
    I MUCH prefer the handling of a bike with a high BB (12.5-13.25"). 12" is about as low as I find acceptable. Granted, I use 182-185mm cranks on most of my bikes but even allowing for that, the BB is higher than the norm and the crank length does not matter with the pedals level.
    mtbtires.com

TNC
    noMAD man

Tubeless NeoMoto

the bike works great!

I am going back to 26" though. Riding a Fox fork is just lame after being on the RS Dual Air (revelation, not 650b compatable), and the lack of tubeless and tire choice totally blows for 650b.

I will set the bike up as a leggy single speed while I wait for better forks and tires to come out for the wheel size.
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the NeoMoto as a tubeless candidate. Even as a non-UST tire, it is working out just fine on the front of a Nomad at the moment. I've got a full 10 rides on this setup in horrendously rocky terrain that eats lesser tires with sidewall cuts and rock punctures. The traction, surefootedness, and durability of this tire appear to be more than adequate...in fact, on par with some of the best tires I've run.

I will agree with you on the dual air Rev being an excellent fork. For a 3.75lb., 130mm, QR fork, it's one of the best. I have one on a light weight trail Bullit...love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm working on a brodie expresso 67'er and want to know if a 29'er fork( fox rlc)80-100mm will work best or a 26'er fork(fox rlc) mostly for tire clearance @ the brace...with a 2.35" 650b Pacenti neo moto. Any input is appreciated...I'm really close to getting this project under way...

nothing relevant to say
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Only raises a 26" bike ~1/2". 650B rims are 25mm larger than 26". I find most production frame to have too low a BB and +12mm gets them to the almost high enough range.
    Shiggy, don't you use 185mm cranks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    One has to keep bb height within reason but I can't say that there is a correct bottom bracket height for mtb's. Not every rider likes 29" wheels or single speeding or full sus or 27 gears or carbon hardtails with 80mm of travel. The same goes for bottom bracket heights. Some riders, depending on one's riding style and the terrain their riding on might like and 11.5" bottom bracket height whilst his riding buddy might be better suited to have a 13.5" bottom bracket height. Use your best judgement. I think it's also silly to say that a bike is going to be impossible to ride after slackening the headtube angle and raising the bottom bracket height of a bike(exactly what happens when you put a 650b tire up front). Isn't that what adjustable travel forks do to a bike too(yes)? It can't be any worse to tuck 650b's into a bike that it is to tuck a fork that's adjustable from 85-115mm of travel or 100-130mm.

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Quote Originally Posted by madnessmoose
    One has to keep bb height within reason but I can't say that there is a correct bottom bracket height for mtb's. Not every rider likes 29" wheels or single speeding or full sus or 27 gears or carbon hardtails with 80mm of travel. The same goes for bottom bracket heights. Some riders, depending on one's riding style and the terrain their riding on might like and 11.5" bottom bracket height whilst his riding buddy might be better suited to have a 13.5" bottom bracket height........It can't be any worse to tuck 650b's into a bike that it is to tuck a fork that's adjustable from 85-115mm of travel or 100-130mm.
    good points.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    CHT,

Kirk:
    I'm stepping in here a little late... or "latte"... as we say in the PNW. But I would be interested in participating in a 650b demo program... I am also willing to participate in the cost of the wheels that I would use... or just pay for them... I don't know exactly what you are looking for here.

I am looking to build a 650b bike or a 69er style with a 650b up front. I currently ride a Kula 2-9... and have liked it so well that I have sold all of my other current mtb's (3). I am very interested in putting together a 650b hardtail bike ... using a new frame hopefully a 26er frame ... in a monster cross fashion to start with... I like the midge bars and currently use them on my tandem and my cyclocross bike - so I have ridden them offroad and know for certain that they are superior to road drop bars offroad - I also find that being a bit shorter than Shiggy - me at 5'7" - I don't seem to need the same amount of rise to make them work for me in a normal and comfortable position assuming I size the frame right -- one other issue not addressed by Shiggy on his site - which is not insignificant for those of us somewhat aging bikers, is that the midge style offroad drop bar has a natural hand/wrist angle, at every position, that does not exist on either a normal riser, flat or road drop bar - ergo no more sore wrists and hands from the pounding they take particularly offroad and on longer rides(tandem) where hand and wrist relief is harder to find.

My goddness!! I didn't mean to write a book... I just wanted to let you know that I would be very happy to give you some input and very pleased to participate in any format with a 650b wheel demo experiment. I have about 25 years of riding experience on everything from a fully rigid race bike to a 7" dually... and am a pretty damn good XC rider and home mechanic -- Lemeno....

You can pm me and I will email you ... if you desire.

Regards... Dave
    "To be able to fill leisure intelligently is the best product of civilization"... Bertrand Russell

Shiggy, don't you use 185mm cranks?
    Yes, and my preferred BB height is 13". Basically a 12.6" BB if using 175mm cranks. Most production frames are 12" or under.

But there is more to the high BB than compensating for the crank length. I like how the bike rides with the pedals level (where crank length has little affect).
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2006
    my rear wheel got finished today and we tried it on a few different bikes in the shop to see if they fit.

sliding drop out chameleon - with the wheel as far back as possible, it was very tight at the front of the chainstays. Might be better with the smaller xc tires coming along, but not ridable with a neo in my opinion.

07 sc superlight hit seatstay bracket, which is removeable, but very tight up front. any wheel flex and it would rub the chainstays.

08 stumpjumper/rockhopper/epic ht no way, hit everywhere...

08 spec fsr wheel fit tight but looked like it would work. Once the front wheel is done, we are going to put the wheelset on it and give it a shot. would be better with a 1.9/2.0 tire that it was spec'd with.

when i get some more time later this week i am going to take my camera down and take some pics and try more bikes. Guess my carbon stumpy wouldn't have worked anyway. Now i have to wait for Sycip to finish my Diesel...

mtbr member
    How about a 2005 (series 4?) Santa Cruz Heckler? Assuming a shock can be changed to limit travel, how's the NeoMoto clearance in back?
    Last edited by enFuego; 02-02-2008 at 07:34 PM.

nothing relevant to say
    The Heckler has been on everyone's Want List for the 650B conversion. Kirk Pacenti ( maker of the Neo-Moto) looked into this, but there is currently no shock READILY available in the proper stroke/e2e length. I guess a RS rear shock has the potential to be adjusted to suite the needs of a Heckler-B, but it hasn't been done yet. NO ONE KNOWS.
    What shock do you have on your bike, now?

mtbr member
    I don't have the '05 Heckler, I just figured that they cost less than the newest version, and that could be a cost effective (cheaper) way to go, providing the tire fits, etc.
    Perhaps there are some past Heckler variants which have rear shock/travel specs that will work with the NeoMoto?

mtbr member
    I'll be getting the new Heckler in a few weeks. After discussions with Kirk, I'm definitely putting the 650B/NeoMoto/Fox Talas 32 on the front. As posted above, the trick is the rear, I first want to try a lower profile tire (if I can find something available) on a 650B rim and then as a last resort, rear shock modifiactions.

I'll post pics and let everyone know how it goes.

MaineMud
    Oct 2004
    Our Carver 96er, both the Aluminum and the Ti fit a 650 B rear wheel well. With the eccentric BB we've been able to fine tube the BB height as well. We've also had great luck using the X Fusion Velvet R fork, because it accepts 650B wheels (legally, too!) and is travel adjustable fron 80 to 130 mm. The adjustment of the fork let's us set it up with all of the following configurations, with virtually the same BB height and head angles.......

1. 96er

Nothing new there, I guess. EBB set high or low. 26" rear, 29" front with an 80 mm Reba 29. Still my favorite.

2. Bumble Bee

650B rear with the EBB set up at the lower position, 29er front with a Reba 29 100 mm or Fox F99. Pretty cool. A little bit heavier and slower than the 96er, but killer traction with the NeoMotos and really comfy.

3. Killer Bee

650B rear, the EBB in the lower position. 650B front with an X Fusion Velvet set at 120 mm. We've also run a Reba 29 at 100 mm, That works well if you like a quicker front end...about a 71.5 degree head angle.

4. HoneyBee

26" rear with the EBB set high or low, 650B front wheel with an Reba 29 set a 100 mm or an X Fusion Velvet set at 110mm. Also a great option for a shorter rider, as the smaller (than a 29er) front wheel helps with top tube and toe overlap issues.

4 different bikes with one frame, two forks, and 4 wheels. A little confusing until you noodle it out..

I'll post some pictures if I get a chance....

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.carverbikes.com

nothing relevant to say
    Very Cool, Davis! Thanks for running with scissors and trying so many options with the 650B!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It is a cheap/nono popular Kenesis frame but I have been impressed with the Leader bikes on ebay. Good angles and lots of room in the rear plus slightly long 17" stays. From my initial research looks like a 650b would fit great with plenty of room... These are $150 frames....

mtbr member
    so on that 07 enduro elite, that cant be with the stock fork. and if the specialized myka(womens rockhopper) fits 650b then does the rockhopper?

nothing relevant to say
    The Elite used a Fox, which can fit a 650B Neo Moto.
    As for the Rockhopper, I didn't check it. Perhaps I'll swing by the shop and check!

mtbr member
    The Elite used a Fox, which can fit a 650B Neo Moto.
    As for the Rockhopper, I didn't check it. Perhaps I'll swing by the shop and check!

oh gotcha, i was thinking the SL, not the regular Enduro, so i guess my 06 expert would work. maybe ill build up a set and play around with it.

www.lugoftheirish.com
    Sep 2004
    Just got my Sun Charger 650b wheels today. Tried to fit them with Pacenti Neo Moto 2.3 into a 2007 Trek Fuel EX9.0

Nope.

The Ventana 650b rear assembly should be here mid March so it looks like I'll be building a 5" 650b very soon.
    Shamrock Cycles- Hand built frames from the mountains of Indiana.

Sail On!

2008 Superlight Action

Hi All,
    I wentt down to a local bike store that stocks new superlights to see if the rear wheel would fit. It did but with a 2.35" Neo-Moto the chainstays cleared on the sides by only 1/4-3/8" with my calibrated eyeball. Took some pics and if you take a look at the O-ring on the shock you can see right where the Neo-Moto hits the front derailleur cable guide on the seat tube when the suspension is compressed. The second pic shows it hitting. This setup could work if there was maybe a 2.0 650B tire coupled with some way to limit the travel so it would not hit the cable guide. All I can say is bummer for now!

banned
    I have a barely used 2004 Specialized Enduro Comp with a Fox Float RLC on it...would 650b be a viable option...It is a great bike and would renew my enthusiasm for riding it

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    I have a barely used 2004 Specialized Enduro Comp with a Fox Float RLC on it...would 650b be a viable option...It is a great bike and would renew my enthusiasm for riding it
    I have a couple of friends with Enduros from this era - and I have a 650b rear wheel - let me see what I can find out.

If it doesn't fit - that frame is still a great candidate for a FS 69er set up.

See here for an example!

banned
    I have a couple of friends with Enduros from this era - and I have a 650b rear wheel - let me see what I can find out.

If it doesn't fit - that frame is still a great candidate for a FS 69er set up.

See here for an example!

That thing looks sweet...How did the 29er front affect geometry and what did you do to compensate?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDIE JONES
    That thing looks sweet...How did the 29er front affect geometry and what did you do to compensate?
    Not my bike - but the front is set at 80mm and the owner manipulated the bb.height/head tube angle settings via the rear end so that it would ride nicely. That's the cool thing about those Enduros - the ability to adjust things a bit with the rear linkage.

Sail On!

2008 Heckler Works!

Been trying numerous bikes and have found single pivot 26ers are definitely the best candidates for 650B conversion. Saw an earlier post saying the 2007 Heckler would not work with 650B so I was not going to even try it. Went to a cool bike shop near work called Sun bikes in Milpitas CA. These 2 Vietnamese guys do the wrenching there and know there stuff.
    I explained the whole 650B thing and why I wanted to find a frame. Well turns out Vietnam is a former French colony and the older guy used to ride 650B bikes in Vietnam. They got all excited about the idea and started trying frames. Blur LT no go. No suprise there. Next they pull a medium Heckler down and it fits easily. Great now we bleed the shock and fully compress the swingarm and it cleared with about a 1/2" to go to the front derailleur cable guide on the seat tube. I was stoked! I did not get to see if the front derailleur operation hit the tire so that needs to be checked and I wonder how much it will raise the BB but this has potential. Sorry no pics but maybe tomorrow I will go back with the camera.

nothing relevant to say
    News indeed!

mtbr member
    I saw a nice 2006 Transition Preston FR on the classifieds - looked at the site and those frames had 17.3" chainstays - think those would be long enough? The Preston is a short travel FR type frame with either 4 or 5" of travel. Maybe if set up in the 4" travel position it'd work without any tire rub on the seat tube?

Oh to be made of money to be able to test out all these possibilities, but alas - that's not my situation.

2006 sswc RockStar
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mainemud
    Our Carver 96er, both the Aluminum and the Ti fit a 650 B rear wheel well. With the eccentric BB we've been able to fine tube the BB height as well. We've also had great luck using the X Fusion Velvet R fork, because it accepts 650B wheels (legally, too!) and is travel adjustable fron 80 to 130 mm. The adjustment of the fork let's us set it up with all of the following configurations, with virtually the same BB height and head angles.......

1. 96er

Nothing new there, I guess. EBB set high or low. 26" rear, 29" front with an 80 mm Reba 29. Still my favorite.

2. Bumble Bee

650B rear with the EBB set up at the lower position, 29er front with a Reba 29 100 mm or Fox F99. Pretty cool. A little bit heavier and slower than the 96er, but killer traction with the NeoMotos and really comfy.

3. Killer Bee

650B rear, the EBB in the lower position. 650B front with an X Fusion Velvet set at 120 mm. We've also run a Reba 29 at 100 mm, That works well if you like a quicker front end...about a 71.5 degree head angle.

4. HoneyBee

26" rear with the EBB set high or low, 650B front wheel with an Reba 29 set a 100 mm or an X Fusion Velvet set at 110mm. Also a great option for a shorter rider, as the smaller (than a 29er) front wheel helps with top tube and toe overlap issues.

4 different bikes with one frame, two forks, and 4 wheels. A little confusing until you noodle it out..

I'll post some pictures if I get a chance....

Best,

Davis Carver
    www.carverbikes.com
    hey davis,

whats the clearance like on the 96er with a 650b wheel in the back?

trev

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockStarRacing
    hey davis,

whats the clearance like on the 96er with a 650b wheel in the back?

trev
    email me at mmcg25@gmail.com and I can show you a photo or two of the pics Davis sent me.

mtbr member

Good job!

Thanks you Waterat, for actually checking out the 2008 Heckler / 650B. Let's hope the Fr Derailleur clears the tire, too. Show us the pics when you get 'em!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skunkwerkscycles
    I'd like to see a Sovereign done. Those bikes kick-a$$.....
    I would too!

A buddy of mine was almost able to squeeze a 29er in back - so there would be room for a 650b.

Paste eater
    I've been following this thread for sometime now just WAITING for someone to try a monocog (26). It seems like a perfect candidate with the sliding dropouts and such. I've run 2.4's on one with plenty off room to spare.

nothing relevant to say
    The only Monocog I can find around here are the 29 versions. I'm looking for them!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I think SBS discontinued the 26" flite model. There is still the standard 26" model available. Gonna be heavy, though.

Sail On!

2008 Heckler Photos w/650B

Okay finally made it back to the bike shop inbetween rides. Weather has been awesome here in Cali. Went to a different shop that has built up Hecklers so I could see the derailleur clearance. The big issue I see with this frame is BB height. Its 13.5" with 26" wheels which means 650B wheels would raise it to 14.25". Man that's high its going to be one tall bike.
    I will let the pics tell the story.

Paste eater
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterat Pat
    Okay finally made it back to the bike shop inbetween rides. Weather has been awesome here in Cali. Went to a different shop that has built up Hecklers so I could see the derailleur clearance. The big issue I see with this frame is BB height. Its 13.5" with 26" wheels which means 650B wheels would raise it to 14.25". Man that's high its going to be one tall bike.
    I will let the pics tell the story.
    That not that bad. The bottom bracket on my Motolite has crept up to just about that exact height after puting 2.3's and a PIKE on it. I like High BB's though...

mtbr member
    That bb height is before sag correct? I bet it would be within reason with sag factored in.

www.derbyrims.com
    That bb height is before sag correct? I bet it would be within reason with sag factored in.
    The 650b rim is only 1/2 inch bigger radius than a 26 rim.

The Heckler should only go up to 14 inch BB max before sag, which should be just fine using 25% sag or more.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anyone out there know if 650B will fit an inbred? Mine is geared so if you've tried it on a sliding drop out or horizontal drop out version it woudl be great to know if they work with the wheel slid all the way forward or if you had to slide the wheel back.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Forks for 650B

Nice informative thread, how about a sticky with 26er forks that will fit a 650B?

On a side note, the new Reba with Maxle light looks like it will be great for the bigger wheeled crowd. I wonder if it will fit a 650B? SRAM are you listening?
    Fall is here. Woo-hoo!

San Diego County

'06 Preston 650b rear? Maybe!

EDITED POST:

I don't have a 650b wheel and tire to try yet but IF that 702mm size posted for the Neo-Moto is correct I think I can squeeze one into my '06 Preston.

I'll need to grind a big pile of aluminum filings off the seat stay hoop but it has plenty to spare.

The seat tube and chain stays will clear a 27.5 easily once I minimize that seat stay hoop at the rocker connection.

I bought a NOS '06 Nixon Super Air that others have had success running the 27.5 with.

I may have the first Preston 650b Free Ride ever

The next question: Stans or Velocity rims? Any other choices?
    Last edited by Duzitall; 03-25-2008 at 10:09 PM.

Sail On!

Good job! 27.5er Zen

Things have been getting a bit stale on this thread so here is my latest 27.5er a Mountain Cycle Zen. Been on about 6 rides so far and it handles very well with the fork set at 100mm of travel. Tried 120mm but it felt best at 100mm for NorCal fire roads and trails at speed. I really like the lower BB with the Zen the bike leans quick to miss the nasties. We also have a lot of horses around here and one big difference from my 26er is running into hoofprints is much more comfortable. Very happy with this setup.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Bianchi steel single speeds might be 650B candidates...

Another experiment with a borrowed 650B front wheel used for sizing purposes.

With the wheels positioned at about the middle of the horizontal drops, clearance at the seat stay bridge is good, and at the chain stays it's acceptable...

BianchiWithAlans650Bwheel040608 003.jpg

BianchiWithAlans650Bwheel040608 004.jpg

-Raynman59

nothing relevant to say
    Way to god Raynman, there are no Bianchi shops in my area s I haven't been able to chchcheck. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

You're welcome...

...nothing better to do on a way-soggy day in the mid-Atlantic.

Also FYI, the BB-height of my 2004 (I think) S.A.S.S. is 12.5" with a Schwalbe 2.4" Nobby Nic rear / 2.35" King Jim front with a Rockshow Duke Race 80mm fork. I realize that going 26" -> 650B typically raises BB-height by 0.75"...but these tires are on larger-end of the 26" spectrum, so I'm guessing that BB-height would end up around 13.0" (guessing here).

-Raynman59

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    To throw out another compatible discovery, the Rockshox Psylo 20mm tullio lowers are 14.25" from axle center to brace, which should allow 650Bs to fit fine.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

nothing relevant to say
    Was the Psylo offered in a 140mm travel?

Nope, 125mm maximum... 80 to 125 to be precise... either adjustable with the all-travel spacers if you had the air-spring models (to 80, 100 or 125) or anywhere in that range in 3mm increments for the U-turn spring versions. I've got a Psylo Race with the gold colour and air spring and happened to measure it lastnight after checking the brace clearance on a Manitou Minute (which would be borderline for a 650B, the psylo had over a half inch of clearance though).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    i guess we should throw the Spooky Darkside on the list...

nothing relevant to say
    AWESOME! Spooky is definitely on my list of future purchases! What did the BB height end up on that?

mtbr member
    CHT,

Kirk, I'm keen to try a 650b on my 2006 Prophet w/ Lefty Max Carbon. What would be the best setup using a Lefty hub (Cannondale or Woodman) to rims and spokes? Does DT Swiss make 650b rims and spokes? I know the best tire is your Neo-Moto tire, though. Where is the best place to find the tires and all the other stuff in the US? I'm from Brazil, and will have a friend to look for it for me in his next trip. If you can send me private message for us to keep on this conversation, I'd be very thankful.

Ed

Oh and I dunno if this has been mentioned either but the swingarm on a Mountain Cycles San Andreas has 14" of tire radius room in it. So a Neo-Moto 2.3 should JUST fit. I'm planning to setup my San Andreas with my Psylo once I get some tires and build some wheels. So a 5"/5" 650B build. The San Andreas already has an over the top BB height anyway so what's another quarter inch or so.

nothing relevant to say
    ill concieved, DeeEight, ill concieved!

ill concieved, DeeEight, ill concieved!
    Exactly how is putting 650Bs in a frame and fork with the clearance for them, ill conceived ?!?

nothing relevant to say
    I'm jumping on the JuanServo bandwagon.
    C'mon, of all folks, do you believe I'd post that seriously??
    I'd love to see another 26FS fit a 650B, BRING IT.

blinded by the light
    Jun 2007
    what about the 2006 superlight? ive been lookin at wheel options and thinking a 96 er would be cool but i dont think the headtube can take the extra abuse. i have the fox f32 100mm fork and float r rear. i dont have the $$ right now to test. but if anyone is running the 650b setup or has the ability to test this out please do so and let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Bin bred

650 B in older geared inbred (05? the ones corrected for 80-100mm forks). Chainstays clear ok, seatstay about 3/16". Now I just need to make sure the fork will be OK

mtbr member

650b on Caffeine rear?

Does anyone know if the 650b rear wheel works on the cannondale caffeine 26"? I read in the first few posts on this thread that it works on a taurine, but need confirmation before ordering the wheel set.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008

Ima complete 650B noob, but...

I read through the posts in this thread and most seem concerned w/ BB height and tire clearance.

I'd sure like to put 650b's on a couple of my old 26er frames. Problem is, they have canti/V brake posts. Am I SOL or will most canti/V brake pads adjust upwards enough to accomodate the 650b rims? Experience?

NedwannaB

Seen these?

Quote Originally Posted by MisterMo
    I read through the posts in this thread and most seem concerned w/ BB height and tire clearance.

I'd sure like to put 650b's on a couple of my old 26er frames. Problem is, they have canti/V brake posts. Am I SOL or will most canti/V brake pads adjust upwards enough to accomodate the 650b rims? Experience?
    http://www.paulcomp.com/motobmx.html

Should work. I might run them on back with a WI ecc SS hub. Similar setup as on my 26" now, v back/disc front.

nothing relevant to say
    Add K2 Bike's Factory line-up to this list.

mtbr member

Min. CS Length for 650b Converstion

Hoping to convert my 1996 IF Deluxe to a 650b. Does anyone know the minimum chainstay length that will work for a 650b conversion?

mtbr member
    CH - got any new updates to the list???

Can anyone confirm that a 650b really will work on a Surly Instigator???

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast