Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

I love it,

Quote Originally Posted by alien too
    Here are some pics of my Titus Motolite 650b conversion.

Its also for sale now.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=40084&cat=3

Best looking 650B to date..IMO. This does however raise a question, does anyone know or think that a 07-08 Nicolai Helius CC can be made into a 650B? I love the Nicolai Helius line-up, just the best bikes out there period.( again this is IMHO). But, other than the purely one off custom 29er CC that Karl is making for Whafe at this time, Nicolai has no plans of adding one to their line-up...Thanx in advance......CF.

San Diego County
    Wow alien too, that's a great bike for $850! You have alot invested there.

Edit: Duh...I just read the ad, frame only. That's more like it for $850. I thought you were nuts there for a minute.
    Quote Originally Posted by turnerbikes View Post
    Of course the easiest way to fix this is to go for a hike.
    DT

Inrideo est vita
    I cannot beleive no one posted these pictures sooner.

Chumba HX1 - confirmed 650B-able

BTW the Chumba EVO fits 650B's like a dream but the BB height goes from really tall to nose bleed territory.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

nothing relevant to say
    Very sweet. I had talked with Chumba last year, post Interbike about doing a 650B, I guess Allan wanted to do some testing, but nothing ever manifested...HX1 is a pretty sweet, versatile ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    What are some of the specialized hardtails (Stumpjumper) that work?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSpuza
    What are some of the specialized hardtails (Stumpjumper) that work?
    I'm pretty sure the Carbon Fiber hardtail will work.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I cannot beleive no one posted these pictures sooner.

Chumba HX1 - confirmed 650B-able

Nice

How does the HX1 ride? It's actually on my lust list, but am wary of the aluminum. Is the ride harsh or not?
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Inrideo est vita
    I'm not... ummm...err...sure....

We had a frame here headed out to a dealer so I thought we should pop a Neo-Moto/Blunt wheel in it first, just to check.
    I'm sure someone on the Chumba forum could enlighten you as to the prowess of the HX1.
    Canadian distribution: X-Fusion Shox, Rand Momentum lube and Canadian Shield fenders.
    TheRide.ca
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by SSteel
    I'm not... ummm...err...sure....

We had a frame here headed out to a dealer so I thought we should pop a Neo-Moto/Blunt wheel in it first, just to check.
    I'm sure someone on the Chumba forum could enlighten you as to the prowess of the HX1.
    Oh, I thought it was yours...

No worries

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Ragley 'B' blue pig

For those after an all-mountain steel hard-tail (like the Transition TransAM), the new Ragleys works nicely with 650b (Kenda 2.1 out back) with plenty of space but alittle tight for the front D when in the granny (but no rubbing yet).
    Got this to replace the too-small On-one 'B'Inbred (both designed by Brant). Rides great for all-mountain/trail but I'd say it's too kicked out for the hardcore x-country type. I've found that it works better with the altered geometry of the new 29er forks (or a G2 26er Fox if you can find one used) as for 650b a regular 38mm offset fork was sloooooooow!
    Without going overboard, this is one hell of a technical decender..... I've been riding it around B.C. where it's been flattering my limited riding skills (sorry no action shots yet, we need to work on remembering to take the camera!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ovaries on the Outside
    That Ragley is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by njsmith
    For those after an all-mountain steel hard-tail (like the Transition TransAM), the new Ragleys works nicely with 650b (Kenda 2.1 out back) with plenty of space but alittle tight for the front D when in the granny (but no rubbing yet).
    Got this to replace the too-small On-one 'B'Inbred (both designed by Brant). Rides great for all-mountain/trail but I'd say it's too kicked out for the hardcore x-country type. I've found that it works better with the altered geometry of the new 29er forks (or a G2 26er Fox if you can find one used) as for 650b a regular 38mm offset fork was sloooooooow!
    Without going overboard, this is one hell of a technical decender..... I've been riding it around B.C. where it's been flattering my limited riding skills (sorry no action shots yet, we need to work on remembering to take the camera!).
    Sweet! The Blue Pig has been on my lust list for a while now... I like the idea of long-travel hardtails.
    I've also been wondering if it's 650B-able. Thanks for confirming. Although it would be nice to find out if the 2.3 Neo would fit out back as well.

Edit: judging from your 2nd pic, the 2.3 isn't likely to fit. I guess a 2.1 isn't so bad (prefer the Neo over the Nev though).
    Last edited by r1Gel; 10-11-2009 at 12:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Seriously guys, I wouldn't worry about running more than a 2.1 650b out back on the Ragley. I run a 2.1 back/2.35 front and it's more than adequate for B.C. riding so I suspect it'll be ok for most other places too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Orange R8 650b

Orange R8 2010 650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterat Pat
    Back to the bike that Specialized Pitch looks awesome no clearance issues with the rear tire I can see. The 64 dollar question is how does it ride? That bike has a 14" high BB unsagged with a 26" wheel so it is even higher with 650B. Love to hear a ride report!
    Hi WR Pat,
    Now I have had the time to really test the Pitch B, running both tubes and tubeless.

There is not much to say, except “everything is better”. As one would expect, the increased wheel size makes the bike more stable on descents, but what really amazed me is how much easier it is to maintain the speed when climbing. The bike is in general so much faster, and gives much more confidence. The Pitch is size large, and I am 6.1 so the 650Bs make this bike more complete for every kind of use.

The increased BB height is just a bonus, which again let me give even more throttle in rough terrain.

The only thing I miss in the 650B segment is a heavy duty tire, thick walled and with really soft rubber (maybe 42a, could someone close to WTB spread the word?). I am about to build a new 650B wheel set with the P35. I believe this rim will provide some of the heavy duty feeling, together with better low pressure capabilities.

Two sets of 650B wheels for the pitch, and I will not change it for whatever 26” only bike. The blunts make a good all-round wheel set, its faster than the lighter 26” stuff and gives great grip and confidence, the P35 will hopefully give the extra freeride edge. Running the blunts tubeless is no problem if you can figure out how to keep the bead in place.

mtbr member
    I installed a 650b Velocity Blunt with Pacenti Quasi-Moto in the rear of a 2002 Specialized Enduro frame and it fit with decent room for mud shedding ability. I did not test it for any frame interference however, but I suspect it would be a "Go" for this range of Enduros which ran from 2002 through 2004 model years before the re-design by the Big S.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Help - can you run 650b up front on a 26" Fox Fork?

I have an Ibis Mojo SL and am interested in trying a 650b up front only. I have a 2010 Fox RLC Fork with 15mm QR. With the right tire, can I go from a 26" wheel to a 650b wheel with the same Fox fork on my Mojo? I haven't done any research yet,...so I hope this question isn't completely stupid.

mtbr member
    Yes you can - but not with Fox's blessing - but so what, a ton of people are running 650bs and Fox forks. Go for it.

The White Jeff W
    Gary Fisher Marlin - No Go.

A 2.0 Pacenti Quasi will physically fit but the clearances are so tight that I wouldn't dare ride it.

I can also confirm that the Yeti 575 is a no go. Hits the seat stay bridge solid.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Smile looks great

wonderfull setup and color.

Eating Hot Pockets
    somewhat irrelevant, but for those of you who'd like a 650b dirt jumper,
    the Kona Cowan fits 2.35 Nevegals with oodles of room..
    (especially with some sweet custom 12mm thruaxle dropouts! )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-dscf8585a.jpg  

List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-dscf8586a.jpg  

List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-dscf8587a.jpg  

mtbr member
    who made those dropouts? FTW??

Eating Hot Pockets
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG
    who made those dropouts? FTW??
    Kona

when the frame was first being introduced (and in the press kits to dealers before the release in 2003), the frames were shown with BMX bottom brackets, and these 12mm dropouts.

sadly none of these features ever made it to production....

somehow i got my hands on what may very well be the only set of these drops made.

here's the pre-production pix of the1st gen Cowan:
    Last edited by A. Nony Moose; 11-21-2009 at 02:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Performance Alum Mtn frame 650b convertable?

Has anybody tried using this frame with 650b wheels?

The name of the frame is rather unspecific and I haven't been able to find much info on it...

Quote Originally Posted by mmullins437
    what would a 650B front wheel with a 26er rear wheel be called...? 650/26er...

Setting up my Salsa Juan Solo this way once I build up the wheel with a winwood carbon fork. Should be fun
    Resurrecting this old thread...

mmullins, didn't the 650B fit on the back of the Juan Solo? I've got a potentially good deal on an '05 (carbon seat stays) but need to know if the 650Bs would fit, as it's the only size I'll be running from now on (just built up a wheelset for my Schwinn Moab).

TIA for any updates.

P7?

Quote Originally Posted by fedexil
    Orange R8 2010 650b
    Nice.

I'd be mighty interested to know if the P7 is 650B-able

Mal Abogado
    So 650b DOES work with a newer TALAS 32 fork?

Anybody try a 650b on the back of their Titus Motolite?
    LA Law

Quote Originally Posted by LALAW
    Anybody try a 650b on the back of their Titus Motolite?
    Scroll up this thread. "alien too" posted a pic of his.

PS
    The search function in the forums does work, you know... at least most of the time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel
    Scroll up this thread. "alien too" posted a pic of his.

PS
    The search function in the forums does work, you know... at least most of the time
    I think that particular motolite may have had a custom rear end though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

650b Leader frames?

Has anybody tried 650bs on the LD 516H or 510H frames?
    There were others posts in this thread stating that it should work but i'm reluctant to go in for a frame if I don't even know it will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alien too
    Here are some pics of my Titus Motolite 650b conversion.

Its also for sale now.
    http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showprod...ct=40084&cat=3
    As far as I know the Motolite is not 650b capable. It can barely run 26" 2.4 tires, much less a 650b. I know because I own one. I would like to see a shot of the clearance at the chainstay.

And what happened to the upper brace on the seatstay, did you just remove that altogether?

Sorry but I'm not totally buying this conversion. Can you please provide more details?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...91#post6352591
    You need to add the Bianchi PUSS to the list.

Tim

Eating Hot Pockets

Voodoo

2.35 Nevegal in a Ti Voodoo D-Jab with the SS drops slid most of the way back...

mtbr member
    So you bought the voodoo eh? Nice one!

Religion = Non-thinking
    anyone know if my 2010 Rockhopper SL in size 15" (Small) is 650B compatible?
    shown here with the default 26" tires + 1.5" armadillo nimbus
    Last edited by louisssss; 12-23-2009 at 08:26 PM.
    RH SL Pro

Quote Originally Posted by njsmith
    What fork is that in the pic?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I was messing around with an 09 Jamis XCT3 frame today at the shop. The frame doesn't have a brace at the seat stays and when I threw a 650x42 (fatty rumpkin) looked like a TON of clearance at the chain stay /BB interface. The shop I work at has nothing bigger than this for a 650b tire but i would hazard a guess that a quasi moto would fit fine and that a Neo would clear but without much room for mud. At first it almost seemed like the new 650b 1 and two were just rebranded xct series frames. (Jamis has done this in the past with the Nova Pro and Aroura Elite) FWIW. Mickey, if you see this get in touch with me, id love to confirm or deny my suspicions.

-Kareem

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I haven't been able to get a hold of any wider 650b tires but I remembered that in the description of the LaCruz conversion on Bikeman they mentioned that the outer diameter of the stock 700c crossblasters was the same as the quasi's. So i just threw the rear (700x31) wheel from my La Cruz in the Jamis XCT frame. My earlier comment about a rebranded frame was pretty far off but there was maybe 4-7 mm of clearance between the tire and the chainstay bridge. As far as clearance on the chainstays themselves, it looks ample. I'm looking forward to building the frame up as a 650b bike as the stock BB height was much too low for my taste (12in without sag). With a 2010 velvet fork I think this could build up pretty light. Frame, shock headset and seatstay collar weigh in at 6 pounds all told.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    Check out this Transition Trans AM. Looks promising for an AM 650B conversion, no?

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/TransAM.cfm

has anyone checked this?
    would be grateful for feedback ...

ragetty

mtbr member
    I have been riding this for a while - Titus Eleven XS (same as new Fireline) 650b front and rear. I love the way it handles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_6164.jpg  

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the
    pilot." By: Michael Altshuler

Quote Originally Posted by ibikergal
    I have been riding this for a while - Titus Eleven XS (same as new Fireline) 650b front and rear. I love the way it handles.
    Nice
    Interesting dropout and rear brake mount. Is it swappable for track ends?

Doesn't look like the 2.3 Neo would fit. Did you try?

mtbr member
    The dropout can be change for a single speed dropout.

I have not tried the 2.3 Neo but there may be room.

Here are a couple more shots to show the clearance.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_6194-2.jpg  

"The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the
    pilot." By: Michael Altshuler

Quote Originally Posted by ibikergal
    The dropout can be change for a single speed dropout.

I have not tried the 2.3 Neo but there may be room.

Here are a couple more shots to show the clearance.
    Nice.

Looks like the 2.3 Neo would fit

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone tried any of the Orange P series frames yet? I have always like the P7.

mtbr member
    FYI
    i've been discussing With Chris Canfield for the possibility of converting my One bike to 650b. according to him 650b will not fit in the frame, looking at my frme it will probably fit in the swingarm but due to the long travel i would get tire rub for sure.

so i will probably be converting to 650b front only....

nothing relevant to say
    I spoke with Canfield months ago, and gave them wheel dimensions using the Neo-Moto. They ran the numbers and said it wouldn't work.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If anyone wants to borrow a pair of 650b wheels w/ Neo Moto's on Vancouver Island they are welcome to it, QR front disc, SS disc rear 135. Would make sizing easy, even if your bike is geared, you could still check out the handling. I'm in Victoria, PM me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreasaway
    If anyone wants to borrow a pair of 650b wheels w/ Neo Moto's on Vancouver Island they are welcome to it, QR front disc, SS disc rear 135. Would make sizing easy, even if your bike is geared, you could still check out the handling. I'm in Victoria, PM me.
    That's a cool offer. I will offer up a similar gesture here in the state of Connecticut/Western Mass.

If you are 650b curious - I've got a wheelset and also an extra rear 650b wheel you can try out.

Mark

mtbr member

thanks a ton!

Quote Originally Posted by Waterat Pat
    Hey all I found a 2006 Marin Wolf Ridge in a used bike shop that fit the Neo moto rear tire. Cleared the front derailleur and the frame at full compression. 14.5" high BB though with no sag. I also tried a 2008 Marin Mt Vision and it hit the seat tube barely right at full compression. Cleared the FD nicely though. No Pics forgot the camera.
    I have a 2009 Mt. Vision that I was wanting to build to 650, but that answers that. Thanks for posting that, because you just saved me a lot of money and frustration.

What would Tesco do?
    So I took my rear wheel over to my friends house today who has a medium sized 2006 Yeti 575. The pic quality may not show it but with the 2.3 Neo there's ample room at the seat stays, frt der cage (in the small ring), & the non-drive chainstay side. The drive side is close (1-2mm). It doesn't technically touch but it's damn close...too close for me. I think if someone were to trim the side knobs down they'd be golden to run the 2.3 Neo. I tried the Quasi in there a few months ago and there was, in my opinion, plenty of room. A 2.1 Nevegal might fit nicely back there. We deflated the shock and at absolute bottom-out it could rub a little on the seat tube. Depending on what you set it at and what kind of riding you do (no-go for huckers) it shouldn't be any more of an issue then with most of the other fits out there. In any case, hope this helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_1160.jpg  

List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_1161.jpg  

List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_1162.jpg  

List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_1164.jpg  

List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_1165.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

GT Force 1.0 or Sensor 1.0?

Hello everyone,

I was looking through the thread and did not notice the mention of any GT bikes. In particular I was wondering about either the Force 1.0 or the Sensor 1.0 since these are the two bikes I am looking at for my next ride. It looks like the fork would be fine since they are both Fox Float 32s but was curious about the rear triangle.

For that matter, has anyone tried with an older Zaskar frame with a disc brake adapter? My main concern is the seat stay bridge being pretty low on it.
    2011 Quiring 29er Steel Hardtail
    2009 Gt Peace 9'R SS
    2009 Surly Cross Check
    1997 GT Zaskar
    1985 Raleigh Elkhorn SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    Check out this blog... some good pics here:

http://bigdaddymikesblog.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

KP
    I know I'm like a Year late but this is what I was searching for. Now I just need to save up the $ for rims, and spokes, Ill just recycle my King hubs.

mtbr member

How about a 5 Spot with TNT rear? Does that work?

[QUOTE=Cracked Headtube]From my personal findings and other's. This list ill also be on my blog if y'all haven't been to it yet: http://650bpalace.blogspot.com also found at www.650Bpalace.com

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw someplace that a TNT Spot rear would also fit 650b. Can anyone confirm that? I have a 04 Spot right now and that would simplify things. Except for moving the f derailleur stop off to the side instead of the back to eliminate tire touch.....

Thanks
    Sbob
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet but the Banshee Scratch with the axle at the rear most position of the dropouts will work great with a Neo 2.35.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    that is one unattractive bike..... probably rides well and thats all that matters but that is awful looking

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hi all!
    I'm currently running an 650B front wheel (stan's 335, hope pro2 hub, sapim cx-ray spokes) with a dt swiss xmc 130 15qr fork on my giant trance X and loving it.
    However, i was looking for a bike (preferably carbon or Ti) that could handle full 650b wheels fro/rear. I know scott spark does the trick but it's too much XC oriented for my tastes, whereas the ibis mojo has very tight clearance and no dealer here in Greece....
    The new yeti asr-5 looks like it has serious clearance in the back , has anyone checked it out yet? It seems that the seatstay bridge might be tight though....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Giant-Lander
    Hi all!
    I'm currently running an 650B front wheel (stan's 335, hope pro2 hub, sapim cx-ray spokes) with a dt swiss xmc 130 15qr fork on my giant trance X and loving it.
    However, i was looking for a bike (preferably carbon or Ti) that could handle full 650b wheels fro/rear. I know scott spark does the trick but it's too much XC oriented for my tastes, whereas the ibis mojo has very tight clearance and no dealer here in Greece....
    The new yeti asr-5 looks like it has serious clearance in the back , has anyone checked it out yet? It seems that the seatstay bridge might be tight though....

On second thoughts, from a pic in this article : http://www.bikemagic.com/gear-news/y...ride/7658.html it seems that there barely is clearance for 2.25 26' nobby nics......

Just ride!
    Did Alien ever reply to the how to on the Motolite? The picture posted indicated the upper brace was removed from the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Hi all!
    You might look into the Santa Cruz Blur LT Carbon, it reportedly fits a 650b in the rear. I tried to dig up some pics of any LT2 (alum or carbon) with a 650b but was unable to find anyone willing to help out. I remain skeptical.

Also, the Mojo HD is supposed to have more clearance than the previous models. I have not seen pics of that setup either, but admittedly haven't really looked for any.

Quote Originally Posted by tennessee17
    Did Alien ever reply to the how to on the Motolite? The picture posted indicated the upper brace was removed from the rear triangle.
    I'm pretty sure that rear was hacked up for the sole purpose of resale. I would strongly advise against those mods.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Pretty weird application, but do you think this would work ok as a Ti 650B frame?

mtbr member
    Pretty weird application, but do you think this would work ok as a Ti 650B frame?
    The bb height might be a tad on the low side though.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    You could probably have a 650b version made pretty easily...

Cheers,

KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    THIS IS NOT CONVERTED!!!

This is my 2010 Specialized Stumpy, Fox 80mm fork, Specialized 2.0 tires front and rear...do you guys think it would be possible to do a 650b conversion?

-Connor

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti
    You could probably have a 650b version made pretty easily...

Cheers,

KP
    You mean custom ordered by Brant or just pick up a regular ragley Ti which has enough clearance?

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    You mean custom ordered by Brant?
    Yes.

Cheers,

KP
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You mean custom ordered by Brant or just pick up a regular ragley Ti which has enough clearance?
    I've seen the blue pig converted to 650b, fwiw.

mtbr member

Nickel and Butcher?

How 'bout Santa Cruz's new Nickel and Butcher?

(Update) I found out from SantaCruz, that they have not tried a 27.5/650B tire in the back of their new Nickel. So they modeled a Pacenti Neomoto 2.3 on a computer, using an outer diameter of 690mm and a width of 58mm. These are the results:

nTire Clearance to ST at Bottom Out = 8.9
    Tire Clearance to ST cable stop at Bottom Out = 8.4mm
    Tire Clearance to seat stay = 9mm
    Tire Clearance to chain stay = 11mm
    It will also raise your BB by 5mm

Santa Cruz,"The Nickel is designed to fit a fairly tall 26 x 2.5 tire which isn¹t really
    that much different than a 650B x 2.3 height wise."
    "We haven't actually physically
    tested the Nickel with any 650b rear wheels so your results may vary.
    We only can say with 100% certainty that a 26" wheel with a fairly tall tire
    (685mm Diameter) will not have any clearance issues"
    "Again, we don't necessarily recommend it but it might work"

The Nickel is appealing to me because its 5" of travel suits my riding more than the Heckler's 6" travel. However, The Nickel also weighs .72 pounds more than a Heckler. Not a ridiculous amount, but a tad unreasonable, I think, because less travel usually equates to less weight on full sus bikes.
    I'm still interested, because the quality of the ride on the new Nickel could be that much better than the Heckler to forgive the weight penalty.
    I guess I'll have to wait til Mid-June to find out for reals.
    Last edited by enFuego; 05-05-2010 at 10:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Does anyone know about the rear tire clearance on an aluminum Scott Scale? If anyone has one, can you post some pics of the rear to get an idea if 650b wheels will fit? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Blur XC carbon - not enough clearance

Tried a 650 with a quasi moto on my Blur XC carbon. While there was initially plenty of room, once the rear shock is depressed completely, it rubs on the seat tube and the front derailur cable that is routed along the seat tube. It does only rub in the last bit of the shocks travel so if you could put some type of spacer or bumper that would limit the last 1/2", it might work.

As is however, if you were to bottom out, you'd likely grind your tire along that pretty carbon seat tube, not to mention throw your front deraillur all out of what from the tire rubbing on the cable.

www.derbyrims.com

650b frame tests from Sea Otter 2010

All these are 2010 frames, except one frame noted, most which do clear 650b are very tight clearance.

5.0 – 6.7 inch Frames that clear 650b x 2.3, may need a small shock travel limiting shim

Ellsworth: Epiphany (tested - clears seat tube at bottom travel)
    Titus: Guapo (2008 – 2009 only)
    Knolly: Endorphin (2.1 max)
    Jamis: Dakar, Parker
    Santa Cruz: Heckler, Butcher, Nickel, Blur Carbon BLT Carbon
    Orange: Alpine (160mm), Five (140mm), St4 (120mm)
    Foes: XCT, FXR
    Intense: Uzzi VP
    Pivot: Firebird (tested - clears seat tube at bottom travel)
    Ibis: Mojo (may require small travel limit shim depending on shock, except HD easily clears seat tube at bottom travel)
    Evil: Revolt
    Specialized: Stumpjumper, Epic
    Trek: Scratch, Remedy
    GT: Sensor (2.0 max), Force , Force Carbon
    Rocky Mountain: Slayer (2.2 max), Altitude (2.2 max)
    Marin: Mt. Vision, Wolf Ridge

5.0 – 6.7 inch Frames that do not clear 650b:

Ellsworth: Moment
    Titus: Guapo (2010)
    Banshee: (all)
    Commencal: (all)
    Santa Cruz: Blur, BLT, Nomad, Nomad Carbon
    Yeti: (all)
    Felt: (all)
    Specialized: Enduro Carbon
    Trek: Top Fuel
    BMC: (all)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derby
    All these are 2010 frames, except one frame noted, most which do clear 650b are very tight clearance.

5.0 – 6.7 inch Frames that clear 650b x 2.3, may need a small shock travel limiting shim

Ibis: Mojo (may require small travel limit shim depending on shock, except HD easily clears seat tube at bottom travel)

Weird to see Commencal on the list as A Nony Moose easily fit a 650b with Neomoto in back on an earlier generation Meta 5.5 frame.

mtbr member
    Here's a shot from Sea Otter of an HD with a 2.4, looks like a 2.6 would be pretty tight, but it's still hard to tell from this angle...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails List of 27.5 Compatible 26ers-img_6973.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    Here's a shot from Sea Otter of an HD with a 2.4, looks like a 2.6 would be pretty tight, but it's still hard to tell from this angle...
    I fit my Pacenti 2.3 x 650b in an HD with 1/4 inch clearance in the yoke and about 1/2 inch to the seat tube when bottomed out. The larger volume Kenda Nevegal 2.35 x 650b should clear too.

I do still need to get a 12mm axle conversion for my rear Hadley and test ride the HD with 650b front and rear. The BB height would be about 14.25" topped out. With deep sag and the longer wheelbase that BB height should be no issue, actually desirable for heavier riders.

www.derbyrims.com
    Weird to see Commencal on the list as A Nony Moose easily fit a 650b with Neomoto in back on an earlier generation Meta 5.5 frame.
    Like Titus did with the Guapo in 2010 they may have tightened up the wheel fit tolerance to increase stay stiffness, or shorten stay length.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This RM looks very promising for rear wheel clearance.....

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...eam-rsl--25784

mtbr member
    This RM looks very promising for rear wheel clearance.....

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...eam-rsl--25784
    Yea from what you can see the bottom looks pretty good..

mtbr member
    Keep in mind the tires he's using are really really little XC race things.

mtbr member
    Keep in mind the tires he's using are really really little XC race things.
    Yea, but that's about what I'd expect to see on a 100mm carbon XC race bike, well at least the fork is 100mm I don't know about the frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    Yea, but that's about what I'd expect to see on a 100mm carbon XC race bike, well at least the fork is 100mm I don't know about the frame.
    Right - but clearance with skinny XC race tires in 26" form - does not mean there will be good clearance with 650bs even with say Quasi 2.0s - get what I'm driving at?

mtbr member
    Right - but clearance with skinny XC race tires in 26" form - does not mean there will be good clearance with 650bs even with say Quasi 2.0s - get what I'm driving at?
    I was just using the standard 1/2" rule, going from a 2.0 in a 26er to a 2.0 in 650b, there appears to be lots of room. Do you think the 1/2" rule is way off the mark in this case? Even if it's a bit off, there appears to be well over an inch of room, I can't see how a 2.0 Quasi would not fit back there, assuming clearance everywhere else is good.

R. Hansen
    Jun 2009
    Pipedream Sirius R853 is also good for a 650b tire, actually it's made for this tire to fit.. And you know what? It's mine on the 20th of May and it's sure going to roll on 650b when the economy allows it!

!!Steel is STILL real!!

http://www.pipedreamcycles.com/sirius_2010.html

mtbr member
    That Sirius is a seriously cool bike!

R. Hansen
    Jun 2009
    I don't think there is one steelframe out there which is more cool than the Pipedream! And then the price of just 295£ for a top-of-the-line steelframe made of Reynolds R853, which as we all know, is the best

I'm soooooooo looking forward to try it - hopefully with 650b before autumn..

Eating Hot Pockets
    +1

edit: wait.. can we not GET those in the U.S.?

that would make me want one even more..
    am i calculating the prices correctly?
    $450US for the 853 and $1067U.S. for the Ti version?

seems inexpensive... possibly even 'affordable'!
    Last edited by A. Nony Moose; 04-30-2010 at 07:00 AM.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the NeoMoto as a tubeless candidate. Even as a non-UST tire, it is working out just fine on the front of a Nomad at the moment. I've got a full 10 rides on this setup in horrendously rocky terrain that eats lesser tires with sidewall cuts and rock punctures. The traction, surefootedness, and durability of this tire appear to be more than adequate...in fact, on par with some of the best tires I've run.

I will agree with you on the dual air Rev being an excellent fork. For a 3.75lb., 130mm, QR fork, it's one of the best. I have one on a light weight trail Bullit...love it.
    My Pushed RS Pike is incredible! It just tracks like no fork I have ever owned. It truly acts like a motocross fork. I'm thinking about trying a 650B up front with the Pike on my Turner.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Specialized Epic

I was told my my LBS that 650b will not work with 2010 carbon Epic models, so I'd double check before making that change.

I have 650b wheels on my 2009 Stumpy FSR. Works fine with the stock fox talas fork. Rear wheel fit is very tight between the seat stay bridge & kenda nevegal's however. Maybe clearance enough to insert 2 or 3 pennies stacked together. Front derailleur clearance is fine.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info, how tight was the 650/Neo on the SC Butcher and would it need any travel mods?

I sold my Prophet to buy a new bike but decided I want to stick with the 650B, I was about to order a Heckler but the Butcher looks nice and has ISCG tabs but would still go Heckler if it fit better.

Quote Originally Posted by derby

mtbr member
    Yo A.Moose (aka: Senior Bolsillos Caliente),
    Cinco feliz de Mayo!

853 main tubes/front triangle w//4130 rear end=$460 including the 10 quid postage within the UK (not sure what they will charge to post a frame to the states)

Can't you score an 853 Bizango for basically the same price (that frame speaks 650b)?

PS: My Blunts are anodized blue

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Does anyone know if the Specialized Epic Comp (2010) will fit 650b? Someone said yes, someone said no.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Any bargain priced steel frames fit 650b?

Ovaries on the Outside
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc D
    I have a 26" monocog. It presents some problems- with a 2.1 Nev on a Synergy rim, it has to be pretty far in the dropouts for good mud clearance. I can take photos if you want.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc D

Depending on your definition of "bargain", the ragley "blue pig" and pipedream will do the trick.
    I've ordered a "blue pig" myself and i'm waiting for the frame to arrive and be build....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Ibis Mojo

Ibis Mojo w/ front Stan's ZTR/355 650b w/ Nevegal 2.1 x 27.5 on a 2010 32-Talas-150 RLC/QR15 - after riding Mojo for 3.5 years & having found it an absolute dream, I recently put 650b on front (26 on rear)- what an amazing discovery - all this time I didn't think Mojo riding could get any better! I love the new rake for manualing; it's much more stable on technical downhill; I needed the seat back a bit anyway (can't use off-set as I have Gravitydropper Turbo 2/4); and having a bit more clearance for pedals is nice. On technical uphill, lowering Talas to 130 helps significantly. I intend to keep 26" on rear. Note: having let all air out of Talas, the Nevegal 2.1 clears crown bottom by one dime's thickness(!) I suspect that a 2.3 x 27.5 Nevegal would give the same clearance, as it's just the center knobs that come close to crown. (see the Ibis forum for more.)

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked Headtube
    If I missed something that someone has confirmed, please add it!!!

smell the saddle...
    Perhaps someone here can elaborate on these differences (I apologize if this has been previously discussed, no lock on search – and I didn’t want to start a new thread).

What are the major differences between 650b and 26in frames?

I’m sold on the 650b theory and am contemplating on building a new custom 650b frame. I am currently riding a Bianchi MUSS and by far it’s the best geometry I have ever ridden. Upon comparing the geometry from a 650b specific like the Soma B-side against my MUSS, I got the following numbers:

TT (virtual): B-SIDE = 597mm, MUSS = 593mm
    TT (actual): B-SIDE = 572mm, MUSS = 570mm
    Chainstay: B-SIDE = 429mm, MUSS = 425mm
    Wheelbase: B-SIDE = 1069mm, MUSS = 1064mm
    Standover: B-SIDE = 30.35”, MUSS = 30”
    (Head & seat tube angles identical.)

Am I missing something here? These look very close with average diff of ±3mm. I’m curious since maybe I am better off just riding the MUSS as is and forget about a new 650b frame that won’t give much advantage to my current bike. I am running the stock steel fork and I plan to go White Brothers rigid eventually. The 26” model axle to crown height is good for 650b, so I should be fine there.

I’m in the process of slowing upgrading new parts and plan to ride the MUSS anyway with the new wheels, etc. So it may just be that I never get around to a new frame. But still I’d like to know if there are any diff.

Thanks for any feedback.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I have a few more that fit the quasimotos thanks to its narrower width which didn't fit my Neo 235s.

- 2008 Norco EXC 1.0 hardtail frame
    - 2000-2004 Oryx Equipe and Team XC chromoly hardtail frames
    - Hello Kitty frames (see my thread in the women's section for pics/details)

mtbr member

What about...

BB height?
    Still, it sounds like a pretty close match.

The Pantsman
    Will 650B fits a 26'' Inbred?
    Probably the smallest 29-er rider in the Dutch Mountains.

mtbr member

SC Superlight?

Is this another one that would need a bumper? It looks like there would be enough room.
    Thx.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes you can - but not with Fox's blessing - but so what, a ton of people are running 650bs and Fox forks. Go for it.

....and who is going to take their fork for service with the 650b wheel attached? Seriously they are so just covering their asses with this shite. How much extra leverage is there going to be anyway. Unless of course they got FOX CSI or is the BSI?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    litespeed unicoi 26er fits w/ a quasi moto tire....

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast