mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Lightweight 27.5 Aluminum HardTail

Gurus,

I am a casual rider, looking to buy a new hard tail. What probably better suits my style of riding is a city/hybrid bike, but I just like the ride of hardtail mtbs.

Anyhow, I am looking for the lightest (good) hardtail under US$1300. The lightest I can find is the DiamondBack Overdrive Comp 27.5... which rings in at a cool 28 lbs and change or the DiamondBack Overdrive Pro 27.5 coming in at 27 lbs and change.

Any other options out there I should look at?

tia,
    rouble

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The Raleigh Ziva Comp is 26lbs and change. Use the corp discount and it is dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would get an on one inbred rigid. https://www.on-one.co.uk/c/q/frames/...in-bike-frames. Get everything for the bike except the drive train here for $650 shipped. Then get this. https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano...set-94754.html. Have your local bike shop order everything and build it for you. It should be about $1000 for the parts and $100 for the build. If you want a suspension fork I would look for a giant fathom 1 on closeout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    The Raleigh Ziva Comp is 26lbs and change. Use the corp discount and it is dirt cheap.
    Is the Ziva Comp still available? It isn't on Raleigh's website anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rouble View Post
    Is the Ziva Comp still available? It isn't on Raleigh's website anymore.
    Ooh, looks like its not. Its probably out of stock. It should show up again when stock is back up. Btw, with the corp discount that bike is 600-630 shipped. I've got a few beginner riders racing them this season.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    Ooh, looks like its not. Its probably out of stock. It should show up again when stock is back up. Btw, with the corp discount that bike is 600-630 shipped. I've got a few beginner riders racing them this season.
    Thanks much. How do you get corp discount?

How do you like the bike for casual trail riding?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rouble View Post
    Thanks much. How do you get corp discount?

How do you like the bike for casual trail riding?
    There's a link on slickdeals with the code to create an account. I don't have the link but it's easy to google.

The bike itself rides pretty well, and its equipped leagues better than any bike costing 630 shipped no tax should be equipped. The brakes are strong enough and reliable, and they are mineral oil to boot. The 11spd 1x Sram NX drivetrain shifts well and is stout. The Clement tires are relatively wide thanks to the wide rims. Oh it is tubeless ready, just add valves. Hmm, from my experience its a pretty trimmed down bike, no excess parts or weight on the parts that it is equipped with.

Another kid on the team bought a Fathom 1 instead of going Ziva Comp. The Fathom is obviously better equipped but is it better by twice the price? Imo, hell no. The Ziva is just as fast as the Fathom. For the spare 600 one can buy a lot of go fast bits for the Ziva. Though the Fathom and Ziva have different geometries, Ziva is race XC and the Fathom is trail slanted.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just chatted with the Raleigh Sales people and they said the Ziva Comp has been End of Lifed. Totally bummed.

If anyone else has any other recommendations of lightweight 27.5 Aluminum Hardtail under $1000, please do share.