Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?

My local shop just started carrying them the Zesty 427 looks nice for $3k
    In the market for 27.5 but know nothing about these. Thanks

Lapierre Bicycles - Zesty AM 427

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Now I know why I can't find much info online about them, not many peeps ride them around here, haha....

mtbr member
    Hard to find much on them since they didn't sell them in the US until a few months ago and most of the orders haven't shipped yet.

That said my Zesty 527 should have shipped today so look for some pictures and a mini review later this week

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I did not know that, can't wait to read up on your review.

Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Hard to find much on them since they didn't sell them in the US until a few months ago and most of the orders haven't shipped yet.

That said my Zesty 527 should have shipped today so look for some pictures and a mini review later this week

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Zesty?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    LaPierre 27.5 150MM trail Bike

Lapierre Bicycles - Zesty AM 427

Quote Originally Posted by Snopro440 View Post
    Zesty?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    No I got it, it's just the name.. Zesty... I just think the name is weird...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hi Jolly,
    I don’t know if it helps, but I test rode a Spicy, which is a Zesty with 10mm more travel, resulting in it being a little slacker as well. It was an ei Spicy with 275s.

I test rode it back to back with the new Zesty 29er, then a Mach 6 and a Bronson.

I like the new larger front geo on these bikes, Zesty and Spicy, very comfortable and good for aggressive riding. You can really load up the front grip. The ei definitely works and definitely improves climbing and flat track work. I rode a few up sections with the rear shock in open and it felt like a big bike that climbs okay. It was slower going, fine in tech, but for grinding away, it was slower. Reminded me of big AM bikes a few years ago. With the ei on, it was a more modern performance, and grinding was better.

The Spicy (and therefore by extension to some extent, the Zesty) was best at going down. It was very good. Confident and capable and with the shortish chain stay, you could really back it into some berms and smile. Hit the rougher and steep stuff, no worries at all. Mono, great, nearly fell off the back over some chunk at one stage, had to laugh at myself and say out loud “check, monos fine”.

For me the top 3 bikes in this travel area are the Mach 6, Bronson and Spicy. The Mach 6 and Bronson climb quicker than the Spicy, but to its credit, the Spicy bettered them on the downs. Then throw in some turns on the downs, and the Spicy relishes it even more. Back to you, the Zesty, with the some front frame, will be a very good bike too. Super fun on the downs.

My feeling is, if you do more shuttle work, then Spicy is trumps, but if you have to earn your turns, it does it fine, but a Mach 6 and Bronson will do it a little easier. Depends where your preference is, where and how you like to ride. Zesty with less travel will be a little spritelier. Cheers W

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    Hi Jolly,
    I don’t know if it helps, but I test rode a Spicy, which is a Zesty with 10mm more travel, resulting in it being a little slacker as well. It was an ei Spicy with 275s.

I test rode it back to back with the new Zesty 29er, then a Mach 6 and a Bronson.

I like the new larger front geo on these bikes, Zesty and Spicy, very comfortable and good for aggressive riding. You can really load up the front grip. The ei definitely works and definitely improves climbing and flat track work. I rode a few up sections with the rear shock in open and it felt like a big bike that climbs okay. It was slower going, fine in tech, but for grinding away, it was slower. Reminded me of big AM bikes a few years ago. With the ei on, it was a more modern performance, and grinding was better.

The Spicy (and therefore by extension to some extent, the Zesty) was best at going down. It was very good. Confident and capable and with the shortish chain stay, you could really back it into some berms and smile. Hit the rougher and steep stuff, no worries at all. Mono, great, nearly fell off the back over some chunk at one stage, had to laugh at myself and say out loud “check, monos fine”.

For me the top 3 bikes in this travel area are the Mach 6, Bronson and Spicy. The Mach 6 and Bronson climb quicker than the Spicy, but to its credit, the Spicy bettered them on the downs. Then throw in some turns on the downs, and the Spicy relishes it even more. Back to you, the Zesty, with the some front frame, will be a very good bike too. Super fun on the downs.

My feeling is, if you do more shuttle work, then Spicy is trumps, but if you have to earn your turns, it does it fine, but a Mach 6 and Bronson will do it a little easier. Depends where your preference is, where and how you like to ride. Zesty with less travel will be a little spritelier. Cheers W
    sorry to hijack - but WilliamK, I would be interested to hear your impressions of M6 v. Bronson - thanks

mtbr member
    Don't want to hijack as well, but don't some of the riding observations come down to things such as body size (of the tester) and the fit of the particular bike geometry to the rider?

Also, what about tires. Did each of the bikes mentioned above have the same tires, and size of tires?

I know when I change tires on any one of my bikes I can tell the difference. Especially when it comes to things like climbing. In all fairness I don't think one person can be the deciding judge for three bikes.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Lapierre is a well known brand over here in europe. For 2014 the Spicy and Zesty models share the same frame and only the forks and component spec differs from each other.
    So you could buy a Zesty, change the fork to a Pike for example and you have a Spicy.
    I too got the chance to ride one.
    Build quality is very good and there are no things to complain about. While the frame and seatstays are full carbon the chainstays are made from Lapierres supreme 6 aluminum which should be really strong (ok, that's what they claim at least. ).
    The bike came equipped with XX1 and Ei Shock + Pike in front. Sizing is good and the large one fits me very well with the 50mm stem (being 184cm tall). In the parking lot it felt light and nimble. It was easy to manual or doing wheelies too. On the trail it was snappy and a really good ride.
    On the first climb with the Ei in open position the suspension felt better than the Specialized FSR but being a fully active 4-Bar suspension it didn't climb as strong as my Bronson (with custom suspension). Now it was time to turn the Ei into 'Auto' mode on the remote (it makes 'sirrrr' noices when changing settings). On the next climb I immediately noticed a big difference! The rear suspension almost felt like that of an XC race bike, no more wobbling! Back on a little downhill the suspension was fully active again. Nice!
    On a little longer descent the Lapierre really shows its capability and this should be no surprice when you know that Mr. Downhill Nicolas Vouilloz was heavily involved in development.
    The bike felt stable at speed and was easy to throw around in the corners. Very good and handling and with the roomier cockpit compared to my Bronson I felt comfy on it. The suspension was a bit on the firmer side which is the shock I think (but I haven't had much time to play with the pressure).
    You also notice the shorter chainstays when you are coming from a Bronson and I think that might be a reason why the Lapierre still felt nimble while being very stable at speed.

To sum it up: I really liked it and it is on my short list for a new rig.
    I think suspension will be a bit plusher on the downhills when you put in a Monarch Plus RC3 or Float X. Or maybe Rock Shocks will offer a Ei Monarch Plus one day?
    I really wish I could ride one of those new Orbea Rallon bikes and the new GT Force too to compare it with the Lapierre but what I can say for sure is that you won't be disappointed when going with the Lapierre. I don't know pricing in the US but over here in europe they are reasonable priced compared with the competition.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Great replies and thanks for the feedback. I guess since they are just arriving in the states there have not been many reviews and write ups. The pricing seems pretty good in the States. I am going to check the Zesty out next week at my LBS. So far leading my hunt for a new bike is the SC 5010 with the Zesty not to far behind. I do like the Trance as I rode it for 25 miles last summer but not in love with the "looks" this year.
    Decisions, decisions.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I ride a Solo C, in the C variety it will be lighter and climb a little better. Great for trails. The Zesty will better it on the downs though. Choose something that suits the trails you ride the most. Have fun testing. Cheers.

mtbr member
    Found out yesterday my bikes ship date has been pushed back to the end of December now. I ordered it at the end of September so I thought it would be here by now but I guess with the good pricing also came with a wait.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK View Post
    What's "mono?"
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    What's "mono?"
    My guess would be mono = manual.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My top 3 picks for 2014 ! Lapierre Spicy, Knolly Warden, Pivot Mach 6. Can't go wrong with any of them. It's going to come down to which local shop gives me the best services. I live in B.C where Knolly is made, that's a huge bonus. The reports and results of the new Spicy are just to good to ignore. All 3 manufactures too their time to build these bikes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    2014 Top Picks !
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Lapierre Spicy

I own a Lapierre Spicy 327 (my training bike) and I'm waiting for a Spicy Team (my racing bike) that will arrive soon. These are fantastic bikes. These are not XC bikes but you can clinb very well. The fun starts when you go downhill: the bike is precise, predictable, stable and reactive. The last season I raced with a Scott Genius LT and with the Spicy (with the 327) I feel faster: I cannot figure out how faster can I feel with the Spicy Team ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm stuck deciding between the Zesty AM 527 and the Zesty TR529. I ride big back country and also some technical steep single track. Love the 150mm on the AM but concerned about the climbing ability vs the TR. Head Angle 67 on the AM vs 69 on the TR. All my riding mates ride 29ers so dont want them to kill me on the climbs.

Which one to choose???

mtbr member
    Anyone know if a frame only option is available in the U.S? Also, what eye to eye & stroke shock sizes are on the Spicy?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Anyone know if a frame only option is available in the U.S? Also, what eye to eye & stroke shock sizes are on the Spicy?
    I placed a call to a dealer in my city before the holidays asking the same thing, I should have an answer at the end of the week. If they offer frame only in B.C Canada, they will offer it in the US. I do know they offer frames in the UK. Go to twelve50bikes.com go to the Spicy or the Zesty and they state : available also as a frame only so you can custom build one yourself, or we can help you with that! Also : Overseas residents are responsible for any import duty levied in their own countries. Twelve50 Bikes will provide a full UK VAT invoice on the outside of the packaging for Customs purposes. So you can get a frame only sent to you if your dealers can't. Trying to dig for your shock info.

Cheers

mtbr member

For 2014 these are available as frame only;
    DH Team
    Pro Race 929
    XR 929
    Spicy Team

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have the 427, if your in SOCal you can go to bikeco.com in Mission Viejo and check them out. I have to say that the top tube is perfect for enduro/trail riding. I think the bike climbs amazing. I have the trek slash 9 and a Scott Spark 910 and the Zesty climbed like my Scott and rode down hill like my Slash. Perfect blend I was very pleased with the overall performance. The only thing that I would really change about the bike is the fork = Pike or a fox34.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Has anyone that rode a 2014 Spicy or Zesty any comments or issues with the chainstay width. I have seen in some early reviews that the chainstays are so wide that your heels tend to hit the chain/seat stays on a regular basis to a level where if you use Clipless pedals this could cause knee issue over time from twisting your heels outwards to avoid the stays. I am a size 11 foot and this is the only concern I have with the Zesty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Im a 10 a I did notice that I would clip my heal everyonce in a while only on down hill sections. I had to adjust my cleat a just a little bit on my right foot. My right foot cleat is always pushed out as far as it could go to bring my foot in closer to the crank arm so if your cleat is in the neutral position you should be fine and clear by a bunch. I did notice that my foot hit less than on the Kona Process. If that helps any

mtbr member
    Bikeco in Irvine has a bunch of them on the floor now. You can check with them on frame only availability.

mtbr member
    Mine is in, but the shop is having trouble getting the KS LEV dropper post adjusted right. First impression is that it is a nice looking bike but man does it have a lot of cables a 1X10 setup maybe in its future to cut the number down.

Hoping to be riding it by tomorrow!

LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?-imag0119.jpg

Does anyone know if the Raceface Turbine rims need tape to be setup tubeless or just a value stem?

mtbr member
    I've got a couple rides in on my Zesty 527 with the electronic shock now. We had to replace the cable for the dropper post because the Teflon one that came on it kept binding up. Now it seems to be working great. Overall the bike seems to really love to go downhill and is very playful. Uphill the E:i really helps make the bike easier to pedal by locking up the rear shock. Still working to get the fork and shock setup exactly how I want and it's been too muddy to get in a good jump session.

I angle my feet when I ride so if you look every bike I've had has rubbed off paint on the crank or chain stay. On the Zesty I can feel my feet rub from time to time but it doesn't bother me or seem worse then most bikes. Didn't even have problems when I had thick shoe covers on. The bikes come with protective tape on the area where most people shoes would rub.

Weight tubeless (Stans conversion) with Crank brother candy pedals:
    LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?-imag0123.jpg

Rear derailleur protection:
    LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?-imag0124.jpg

LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?-imag0130.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012

mtbr member
    Yea they liked it, that's great!

@ Dan4jeepin, could you measure the eye to eye on the shock please!?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shocksize is 200x57 on the Zesty and Spicy 2014.

mtbr member
    Interesting the reviewers didn't like the auto modes. So far I've found that it does a great job of adjusting to the terrain.

I agree on the tires they seem to suck and the fork would probably be better as a 34. I thought about getting a Spicy but for the money I could get the Zesty in Carbon vs Alloy spicy. If I find it bothers me I'll look into upgrading it.

Also they mention the brakes the US model comes with Avid trail brakes instead of the Formula brakes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I run My Spicy Team in auto 1 mode with sensitivity set at 1 and it is fantastic.Set the front and rear sag at 30% and it's perfect for me. The seat and chain stays are a little wide and I do notice an occasional rub with the heal of my Five Tens.I run flat pedals so no problem moving my feet out a little. The suspension is nothing short of amazing, i also have a Turner 5 Spot with Fox kashima front and rear (push tuned as well on the Rp23) and it's no match for the Spicy which is super smooth with very little dive on the fork.
    Here it is

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mine is in, but the shop is having trouble getting the KS LEV dropper post adjusted right. First impression is that it is a nice looking bike but man does it have a lot of cables a 1X10 setup maybe in its future to cut the number down.

Hoping to be riding it by tomorrow!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0119.jpg 
Views:	1035 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	860735

Does anyone know if the Raceface Turbine rims need tape to be setup tubeless or just a value stem?
    Yes I emailed Race face and they responded really quick, they said to use Gorilla tape or stans tape until there kit is available which should be soon. Be careful tho check to see if your tires are tubeless ready.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I remember reading a review talking about seatstays changing mid-year do to heel rub does anyone else remember this article if so can you send it to me...

mtbr member

I remember reading that the prototype bikes had the issue with wide seatstays.

The articles said that the production bikes were supposed to have a design change to reduce the width (to prevent rubbing of shoes).

Can anyone verify that this has been done for the production models? Or will it be a mid 2014 change?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I have seen one of the prototype (all black) demo bikes Lapierre used at their early press launch. The chain stays are much wider than the production frames. Maybe 15-20mm wider. IMO too wide for me to ride

mtbr member
    Got a call earlier from the LBS. The latest batch of 2014 bikes are coming with narrower seat/chain stays and if you already got one with the wider stays they will replace them for you if you have foot rub issues. They aren't sure yet if they are going to color match them or if they will all be flat black.

The wide ones don't bother me much but I figure the narrower ones will appeal to more people when I go to sell it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Got a call earlier from the LBS. The latest batch of 2014 bikes are coming with narrower seat/chain stays and if you already got one with the wider stays they will replace them for you if you have foot rub issues. They aren't sure yet if they are going to color match them or if they will all be flat black.

The wide ones don't bother me much but I figure the narrower ones will appeal to more people when I go to sell it.
    This is good news. The chain/seat stays have been in the back of my mind if they might cause an issue for my big feet. That's made my mind up. Dan4jeepin, can you give a measurement of the width of the stays on your bike? Be helpful to check if the new stock due into me Lbs will have the narrower stays?

mtbr member
    I also heard through a dealer looking into availability that the production bikes are 15mm narrower.
    I am very close to putting the order in...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by reformed roadie View Post
    I also heard through a dealer looking into availability that the production bikes are 15mm narrower.
    I am very close to putting the order in...
    The production bike were 15mm narrower than the black demo bikes but it looks like Lapierre are further reducing the chain stay width in the next batch of frames. I wonder if the rear brake calliper will remain on the inside of the stay on this new narrower design. IMO the reason the stays were so big in the first place was when adding a 27.5" wheel to the rear suspension they had to remove the bridge across the seat stays which was on the 26" spicy last year. This forced them to beef up the stay size to keep rear end stiffness. Hope the reduced size stays are going to remain as stiff as the current ones

mtbr member
    Rough measurements 7in for chain stay and almost 8 inches for thr seat stay. I measured near the widest point that your foot would rub. I hope the narrower stays don't give up the stiffness. If anyone finds any information or pictures of the new ones please share.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Jolly705;10877719]My local shop just started carrying them the Zesty 427 looks nice for $3k

Bike Magazine did a youtube video of the 2014 Lapierre Zesty. They had good things to say about the frame but the fork didn't allow to utilize the rear suspension well. So, they suggest putting on a 160mm fork.

2014 Bible of Bike Tests: LaPierre Zesty AM 527 - YouTube

The frame looks sick but I don't really care for the electronic brain they have on it. I want just the frame to build up but Lapierre only sells as a complete.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    [QUOTE=aliikane;10964096]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly705 View Post
    My local shop just started carrying them the Zesty 427 looks nice for $3k

Bike Magazine did a youtube video of the 2014 Lapierre Zesty. They had good things to say about the frame but the fork didn't allow to utilize the rear suspension well. So, they suggest putting on a 160mm fork.

2014 Bible of Bike Tests: LaPierre Zesty AM 527 - YouTube

The frame looks sick but I don't really care for the electronic brain they have on it. I want just the frame to build up but Lapierre only sells as a complete.
    I think the Bike Bible's point on the Fox 32 - 150mm was more an issue with the 32mm stanchions than the Forks 150mm travel. Which is why they ended with saying that Lapierre should drop the Zesty AM range and just have the Spicy range which all have a 34mm fork or RS Pike. This is one upgrade I will be doing on my 527 before my first endure race this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by aliikane View Post
    You can get all but the top of the line models without the E:i shock system.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hello, does anyone know if both the front and rear shock can be locked out from handlebar mounted controls if you order one without the ei, electronics and wires? Anyone have a Z AM727 that can give me their two Centimes?
    Thanks,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhd12 View Post
    I run My Spicy Team in auto 1 mode with sensitivity set at 1 and it is fantastic.Set the front and rear sag at 30% and it's perfect for me. The seat and chain stays are a little wide and I do notice an occasional rub with the heal of my Five Tens.I run flat pedals so no problem moving my feet out a little. The suspension is nothing short of amazing, i also have a Turner 5 Spot with Fox kashima front and rear (push tuned as well on the Rp23) and it's no match for the Spicy which is super smooth with very little dive on the fork.
    Here it is
    What size frame is your spicy team.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014

190mm wide Seat Stays

I picked up a new Spicy 527 a few weeks ago, and I was having a few issues with the heal rub. I also thought it had been resolved for the production run bikes.
    I contacted the local importer: he said that 254 bikes worldwide had slipped through with the wider seat stays.
    The "wide" version measures 190mm at its widest point, while the "narrow" version measures in at 175mm.
    All that was needed was a warrantee claim, and Lapierre will ship out the revised "narrow" ones to replace them.
    Other than that I am loving the bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?-dsc_0457.jpg  

LaPierre 27.5 Anyone riding one with feedback?-dsc_0428.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    ^^^^ That is a really nice looking bike!!!

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast