just some guy

Juliana/Santa Cruz "Furtado" XC FS model

Registered Dietitian
    This is the watershed moment... even though it's only on the "women's specific" line from SC. We will see this as a Blur soon (I assume), and then it's on like a gorilla from your favorite NES game.

mtbr member

Re: Juliana/Santa Cruz "Furtado" XC FS model

It is basically a 650b TRc, even the geometry is the same. Only the chainstays are longer to take 650s

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    It is basically a 650b TRc, even the geometry is the same. Only the chainstays are longer to take 650s

More BB drop too, I'd assume.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Very very cool. My wife will be super excited about this. Time for a companion to her Nomad C. I expect we'll see a Bronson TRc released next week as there has been chatter on the SC boards about a new bike on June 1st.

just some guy
    If it's a carbon bike they had to make a new mold for it, right? Which means this will almost certainly be the next Blur as well.

mtbr member
    The question is can I use that rear end on the old BLTc to get a proper 650b fit in the older frame w/o limiting travel for a large/meaty tire like the pending Conti TK 2.4...
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    More BB drop too, I'd assume.
    That might be a problem for me. One of the benefits I got from converting my TRc to 650b was raising the BB height, since the BB was too low for the east coast rocky trails I ride.

mtbr member

13.1, so exactly the same geometry as the 26 trc

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    Does it mean same front triangle and new rear?
    Then, will the (longer) rear triangle fit TRc front..? Just a thought although I'm sure even if it fit SC will not allow us to do so (and they will not sell the Furtado rear separately).
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I find that very interesting, as well as very revelling on Santa Cruz' s part of their interest in 650b. I'm betting in 2014, we are going to see alot more models from SC ( as well as other brands, don't need Specialized to authenticate the wheel size like some might believe) with the bigger wheels. I'm wondering if SC only has to make a slightly longer rearend and different linkage, rather that a whole bike....I converted my XCc a year and a half ago, awesome bike, a dedicated 650b/ 27.5 bike could only be better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by softailteamrider View Post
    Does it mean same front triangle and new rear?
    Then, will the (longer) rear triangle fit TRc front..? Just a thought although I'm sure even if it fit SC will not allow us to do so (and they will not sell the Furtado rear separately).
    I believe it's a new front triangle. BB drop and standover are both the same as the TRc, which means different geometry (to get the same numbers relative to the ground with larger wheels.) Headtube is also shorter on the Juliana.

I think this is a good thing for 650B fans, because it means SC has made a significant investment in carbon molds. I think we'll see this same platform with an XL size added released as an updated Blur TRc (or maybe they'll call it a Bronson XC, or give it a new name).

mtbr member
    Damn... I wonder how long it will take for my fiance to sell her pivot 5.7 and get this bike instead. Over/under on 3 months.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What about a 650B Superlight? Not fancy enough? (I would ride one...)

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    What about a 650B Superlight? Not fancy enough? (I would ride one...)
    I have one on the way Of course, it's a conversion... but I'm with you, a sub-$1000 650b FS frame/shock would really be a nice option.

The BB on the 26" version is 12.3", which makes it an ideal conversion (that and the tire clearance). I'll likely need to remove the cable stop on the back of the seattube, but as I will never have a front derailleur on the bike it's a nonissue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74 View Post
    I have one on the way Of course, it's a conversion...
    Please post picts (new thread if necessary). I want a new FS, but maybe I should save money and just ride my 26" RM ETRS-X70 frame with 650B front wheel I already own (and NEVER ride)...

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    Please post picts (new thread if necessary). I want a new FS, but maybe I should save money and just ride my 26" RM ETRS-X70 frame with 650B front wheel I already own (and NEVER ride)...
    Will do. It will likely be late next week before I can post it.

It will be a very cool bike, though. Shooting for 23 lbs or less. Hopefully less.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Unless your running a large volume tire, removing the cable stop is unnessessary. I have never had any tire rub anywhere on mine(2012 large Blur XCc) Ive ran 2.1 Kenda Nevegals( which I hated) and currently run 2.25 Racing Ralph's. But maybe your talking about the Superlight...so forget what I said, dont know about the clearence on those.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Check out the full line up of bikes.

Juliana Bicycles | The Original Women's Mountain Bike

Looks like the Blur counterpart is the Joplin and it is still 29".
    The Origin is the SuperLight and the Nevis is a hardtail. They are 29" as well except for the XS frames which come in 26". I think this is an interesting thing that SantaCruz is doing. It all make a lot of sense. Perhaps it's hedging its bets, but an XS 26er make a lot more sense than an upside down "riser" bar for a 29er.
    -Carlos

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I've read your posts, and you seem to absolutely love your Blur XCc 650b. What sort of improvements would you hope to get from a dedicated 650b Blur?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I converted my XCc a year and a half ago, awesome bike, a dedicated 650b/ 27.5 bike could only be better.

just some guy
    The Joplin looks like the Tallboy counterpart.

mtbr member
    Wow. That's a lot of bikes. A small Tallboy and 27.5 Blur for ladies... There might be a few jealous dudes for a little while...

just some guy
    I would guess that most guys wouldn't ever buy a bike that said 'Juliana' on it, although it would not matter to me at all and would actually be a little amusing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Dont have to ride a Juliana, if your a guy, check out the Solo.

mtbr member

Why? I will ride Juliana any time. Riding solo might not be so much fun.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Solo vs Fertado

Why? I will ride Juliana any time. Riding solo might not be so much fun.

Are the Solo and Furtado the same bike? I like that Solo has different build options with the carbon frame. The Fertado only comes with the Primiero build kit which is over $6,000 after tax. What would you recommend for the lowest build kit, looking for light but not break the bank.

mtbr member

In my opinion SC whole bike options are a bit pricey. It's better to wait for a frame option and build it the way you want it.
    Furtado and solo are the same frames, I am not sure if the HT and ST lengths are the same, but the angles and TT, BB are identical. Juliana bikes use women specific parts - narrow grips, wider saddle...

mtbr member
    May 2013

Solo vs furtado

In my opinion SC whole bike options are a bit pricey. It's better to wait for a frame option and build it the way you want it.
    Furtado and solo are the same frames, I am not sure if the HT and ST lengths are the same, but the angles and TT, BB are identical. Juliana bikes use women specific parts - narrow grips, wider saddle...
    I think you are right. Building a Solo may be my best bet. I am currently on a Safire, I love the bike but having trouble keeping up with my friends that have moved to 29ers. I am now deciding between a Niner Jet 9 Carbon with SLX components, the Santa Cruz Solo in Carbon, base components or wait for the small Tallboy in Carbon, base components. I am 5'5", 30 inseam, mostly ride for fun but have started doing 3-4 races per year. I would take any advice any can share!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliecoleman View Post
    I am 5'5", 30 inseam
    I'm just about exactly the same sizing as you are, and I feel like a midget standing next to my BF's Tallboy. Granted, his frame is large, but just the wheels themselves make the whole picture looked unbalanced, IMO. Premeiro and Solo are EXACTLY the same bikes geometry wise, so Solo's 'RAM27' built option (SLX, no Kashima) is probably exactly what you are looking for. Whether $4,200 is considered reasonable or not is up to the individual.

BTW, Juliana site only lists bare bone, high level descriptions (fork, shock, drivetrain and brakes) vs regular SC site where virtually all components are listed for every built option. Assumption here, I presumed, is that women don't care about what hubs, rims, headset, seatpost, stem, tires, etc. come with a $6,000 bike we consider purchasing. I found that assumption insulting...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I agree, my friends med Tallboy seems very large but I have some short friends who fly on them. I wanted to make sure that i am "upgrading" and not just moving laterally from my Specialized Safire which is why I am considering the TB Niner Jet9. I was irritated the the Furtado cannot be built to suit which is why I am considering the solo. The Niner Jet 9 Carbon with lower end components I can get for $3,400, least expensive Solo looks like $4,100. All good options but want to make sure I make the right choice! I figured get the best frame I can afford and can upgrade components over time.

mtbr member

I think a 650b bike would fit you better at 5'5". I own Tallboy an a 650b TRc conversion. If I had to pick 1 it would bee the TRc. It's just a fun bike and I feel it fits me. I am 5'9".
    Try to demo. If you can't try before you buy, get the Solo or Furtado.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've got no complaints on my conversion, but having a dedicated 27.5 would mean even more clearance, although I have plenty for the tire I run. Other than that, I think it's pretty much the same.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I ride 650b/27.5 converted SC Blur, I give up nothing to my 29er riding friends, I think I even have an advantage to them on most terrain, unless your rides consist of slight up hills/downhills with studder bumps, a 29er is not faster....don't believe the hype.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the info! Would the angle of the head tube (68)and the geometry of the Solo make it slower than the head tube angle of the TB and Niner Jet 9 which both have (70 degrees) My current Safire is 68 and seems more of a trail bike. I am looking to pick up some speed and efficiency on longer rides, 50k. Is it better to go alloy with higher end, lighter components or go carbon and get lower end components???

mtbr member

Well steeper head angle is usually better for climbing, but less confidence inspiring going downhill. I say usually, because it is not only about the HA, you have to take into consideration the whole geometry. Also, the same HA will feel different on a 29er compared to a 27.5er. That's why you can see steeper HA on 29...
    29" wheels can keep momentum better, so it can feel you are using less energy while going faster, but they also accelerate slower.
    Another think to consider - 29 will be a bit heavier, you will need bigger fork and wheels.
    If you are planning to keep the bike for a while, get a carbon and upgrade parts later. Even though the weight difference between carbon ans aluminum solo is not that significant. It's not only about weight, carbon is also stiffer and stronger.
    Solo and Tallboy can be both Xc/trail bikes. I think Solo is a little more versatile.
    I am telling you, for your height, go Solo.

mtbr member

I forgot to mention, my 650b TRc climbs as well as my Tallboy. Solo is supposed to be even better climber...
    Check this out http://forums.mtbr.com/santa-cruz/trc-vs-solo-purchase-insecurity-858129.html#post10439259

Last edited by jazzanova; 06-03-2013 at 09:31 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, good info! I am now leaning to go with the Solo Carbon, base build kit. I am 5'5", 30" inseam. The small looks like the top tube would be a bit short, med may be a tiny bit of a stretch, which way should I go? Not sure I will be able to ride before I order

mtbr member

I would suggest that you measure the reach and stack on your current bike and compare it with the Solo, that will give you an idea what to expect.
    Or you can just compare the TT lengths.
    Also, make sure you are ok with the Standover on the medium.
    And if you are planning to run a dropper, make sure the ST will allow you to have it fully extended.
    At 5'5" it seems you are at the middle between S & M. Shorter bike will be more agile, but can feel cramped on climbes. Medium will give you more stability on DH and better climbing due to a longer wheelbase. Short stem will make bike more flickable and today's trend seems to be longer TT + short stem + wider bars.
    I am 5'9" and ride a medium with 60mm stem and 710mm bars which are by today's standards considered not that wide anymore.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliecoleman View Post
    The small looks like the top tube would be a bit short, med may be a tiny bit of a stretch, which way should I go? Not sure I will be able to ride before I order
    Again, I'm in the same boat - go with a small and possibly feel cramped or medium and feel too stretched. Speaking for myself, I'm more of a XC rider than Trail/AM, so I personally prefer the weight distribution and stability that comes with a slightly longer wheelbase, but then, I don't much like the skittishness of shorter stem, so going with a medium and having to slap a short stem to balance out the handlebar reach (not frame reach) could be an issue.

One thing my BF suggested as an option is test ride Blur TRc at a dealer that offers demo. Geometry of TRc and Solo are so darn close, so he theorized that I should be able to tell which I'd prefer - S or M - even if I don't get a feel for 27.5.

Looking at TRc and Solo, the biggest difference comes with the measurement of stack. Frame reach is identical but stack is about 0.6in longer on Solo vs TRc, on either S or M, as a function of accommodating larger wheels. If I have my heart set on getting a 27.5, then longer stack is most likely going to be a given, so then the only thing I really have to worry about would be the reach.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Solo vs Furtado

This is great feedback!
    I have also been researching the solo and furtado and am stumped as to why Juliana assumes women who look at the Furtado want the offered kit, no options no questions at that price point. Really anyone interested in the Furtado is going to do some research. I am not as insulted as I am disappointed...I really would love to see a women's brand launch successfully. I rode the Furtado and was instantly won over. I love it. Hate the 3x10. So was running numbers to see how much it would cost to convert to xo-1 when my bike shop friend said to look at the Solo.
    Done. Getting the Solo. Sorry Juliana
    My current ride is Epic evo 29,xo.