No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

Jebus I love this bike … (Bronson content)

I admittedly have a bike problem. You could view that two ways. The positive way is that I've sampled a very wide variety of the finest (and not so finest) bicycles available on the market.

I've never owned nor ridden a finer all-around bicycles than the Bronson-C.

I had the aluminum version first and upgraded to the carbon. I've owned this for about 5-ish months now, which is an eternity for me. I can't find a single thing to complain about. Intuitive handling, light, stiff, plush, dialed geometry.

I know there are a lot of incredibly fine bikes on the market today. Consumers are lucky. I feel fortunate to own a bike like this.

Glamour shots:

IMG_0395 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_0399 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

IMG_0397 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Shot from today's ride (Phoenix Mountain Preserves, top of the VOAZ/Cheesegrater split for locals).

IMG_0583 by dbozman1173, on Flickr

Build:
    Bronson-C frame, XL
    Avy'd Float CTD
    Pike at 160
    Chromag cockpit
    Hope Tech X3 brakes
    Custom LB carbon rims laced to Hadley hubs
    XX1 drivetrain

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What was your main reason to upgrade from the alloy model? I am about to buy one myself... That color scheme is awesome on the carbon!

mtbr member
    Awesome Blatant! I am waiting for mine as we speak. What LB rims are you running 35 or 30's and how you like them? How they feel compared to Alu rims and also the Bronson alloy frame vs Bronson C (I only demoed a Bronson-A myself)? I picked up a pair of LB 30/King/Sapim wheels locally for deal I couldn't pass up. Just waiting for frame/fork to get them rolling. Also, how you digging the Chromag carbon bars? I ran OSX bars forever, been on SIXCs on my Rune, but thinking about throwing on the 35 BSA's. Any perceivable difference vs 31.8's? Thanks, Enjoy that thing!
    Ride On!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    For a couple reasons (waiting for the shock to come back from Avy, business travel and the new Ti SS I recently built), I hadn't ridden the Bronson for close to a month until yesterday. I'd forgotten just how incredible it is, which prompted this post.

Ross: The reason for the change was SC's sizing. At 6'2", I had always ridden L bikes from most manufacturers. My alloy Bronson was Large. Felt fine in the parking lot, but after a couple weeks on the trail, I realized it was too small. Since I needed XL, I figured I'd get the carbon as well.

Jgusta: These are the more narrow LB rims. It's my first carbon wheelset and I have to say the change is dramatic. Much more noticeable than alu to carbon frames. The carbon frame is light and stiff and it MAY dampen some trail chatter a bit, but I don't notice that much.

The carbon rims, however, are a significant difference. I was running Arch EX prior and the stiffness change is pretty shocking. I never really noticed how much the aluminum rims flexed until I swapped to carbon, which don't flex at all (I'm about 200 in gear).

As for the carbon bars and the 35mm interface, I notice zero difference to be honest. I bought it because I swapped my Thomson/Deity Black Label setup to my SS and had some extra $$ for bling. I love the bend and width of the BZA bars, but the 35mm mounting vs 31.8 is marketing far as I can tell.

29ers Forever
    Nice Bronson! It looks great with the Pike.
    Very rarely would I buy a 27.5 over a 29, but this would be one of those cases.

It's about showing up.
    Jesus? He'd probably like it, too.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Blatant - can you compare the Bronson v. Rune? Were you running 27.5 on the Rune? These are 2 bikes I'm considering purchasing (and also the Mach 6) and since the Rune is about 700-800 cheaper been leaning that way. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Sorry, no direct experience with the Rune. Much burlier overall bike. I like the modular drops and it's a cool-looking bike, but the weight kept me from being interested.

I did a good test on the Mach6. It was too small (L vs XL), but I thought it was incredible. Far and away the best iteration of DW Link that I've personally ridden; full disclosure, I don't typically care for DW link bikes in my terrain in AZ.

I think the M6 and the Bronson are in a space of their own currently. I got an incredible deal on my Bronson through a good LBS; I paid a little more than half what retail is on an M6, so it was a no-brainer for me.

mtbr member
    Carbon Bronson, custom spec, carbon rims. How much have you sunk into that bike? 9 grand? You better love it!

mtbr member
    Mark ( if I remember right it's Mark )
    What are your thoughts on the Avy upgrade to the CTD shock?
    VOAZ and/or Cheese looks like a pretty good place to try it out.

mine is on it's way back from CT at this moment..

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    It's not Mark. Only one ride on the shock in tuned form, so pretty hard to say. My out of the box impression was that it wasn't much different than stock, except now it's running on Trail2 instead of descend.

That said, in retrospect, I did note increased climbing traction and the jittery/spiky feeling the Float gets at high speed in the rough was definitely smoothed out. I ran it with 160psi for my 200-pound geared weight for about 32-33% sag. I may bump up the air a touch for the next run.

mtbr member
    sorry about that I thought I had met you at Sunday Cycles before you bought the first Bronson

I look forward to giving that stuff a try.
    mine should be here this next Wed..

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting. I am 6'2'' myself.. and was set on the Large (like you, I've always ridden size Large) -- I'll see what my LBS recommends.. you're the 2nd person here to recommend the XL at our height and I will now definitely consider this. Hopefully they have some at the shop I could ride and get a feel for it..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Serotta b1kr View Post
    Blatant - can you compare the Bronson v. Rune? Were you running 27.5 on the Rune? These are 2 bikes I'm considering purchasing (and also the Mach 6) and since the Rune is about 700-800 cheaper been leaning that way. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    FWIW, I have been on a Rune (26") for 15 months now and buying a Bronson right now after riding the piss out of one in Sedona a few weeks ago. I still plan to keep the Rune, but beef it up a bit for AM/FR/DH duties and Bronson will be light as my go to trail bike. I run the Rune in the slackest setting, but use dropper fork (160-130) to tame the front and back end for long climbs. I am able to pretty much climb anything on my 31lb 1x Rune here in NW with big elevation change/climbs (sea level to +4k'). Today we did lots of trail climbing/tech descending and Rune did it all. The Bronson does feel more balanced to me in climbing to descending capabilities like a good trail bike should, whereas the Rune can make all the climbs, but favors the descents. So for me, Rune is the better AM/FR bike (likes to jump), Bronson the better trail bike (repetead up/down terrain). I originally was going to get a 5010 (Solo) for more separation between Rune, but I found the Bronson made all the climbs easier, if not better due to better suspension feel/tracking then 5010 for some reason and killed it on the descents. I had a Mach 6 for 24hrs as well and it was more AM worthy than trail bike worthy to me due to really slack back and slacker front end than Bronson and little more linear feeling suspension even with less sag. Even though Bronson is marketed as a Enduro bike, I feel it will work great as all around trail bike, whereas the Mach 6 may be the better Enduro race/AM bike, kind of like my Rune, but all carbon in a little lighter package with the bigger wheels. Oh, the Mach 6 kind of felt more like a 26" to me versus Bronson that carried speed a little better on flats and could feel the benefit of the slightly bigger wheels of 650b to me. But, the Mach 6 I was on was medium with an 1" shorter wheelbase than large Bronson. Hope that helps any.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    FWIW, I have been on a Rune (26") for 15 months now and buying a Bronson right now after riding the piss out of one in Sedona a few weeks ago. I still plan to keep the Rune, but beef it up a bit for AM/FR/DH duties and Bronson will be light as my go to trail bike. I run the Rune in the slackest setting, but use dropper fork (160-130) to tame the front and back end for long climbs. I am able to pretty much climb anything on my 31lb 1x Rune here in NW with big elevation change/climbs (sea level to +4k'). Today we did lots of trail climbing/tech descending and Rune did it all. The Bronson does feel more balanced to me in climbing to descending capabilities like a good trail bike should, whereas the Rune can make all the climbs, but favors the descents. So for me, Rune is the better AM/FR bike (likes to jump), Bronson the better trail bike (repetead up/down terrain). I originally was going to get a 5010 (Solo) for more separation between Rune, but I found the Bronson made all the climbs easier, if not better due to better suspension feel/tracking then 5010 for some reason and killed it on the descents. I had a Mach 6 for 24hrs as well and it was more AM worthy than trail bike worthy to me due to really slack back and slacker front end than Bronson and little more linear feeling suspension even with less sag. Even though Bronson is marketed as a Enduro bike, I feel it will work great as all around trail bike, whereas the Mach 6 may be the better Enduro race/AM bike, kind of like my Rune, but all carbon in a little lighter package with the bigger wheels. Oh, the Mach 6 kind of felt more like a 26" to me versus Bronson that carried speed a little better on flats and could feel the benefit of the slightly bigger wheels of 650b to me. But, the Mach 6 I was on was medium with an 1" shorter wheelbase than large Bronson. Hope that helps any.
    Thanks jgusta, that was super helpful! And, sorry blatant, I just realized that it was jgusta who posted about his Rune.

jgusta - if by NW, you mean PNW, that's also where I am. I live about 15 mins or so from Duthie and tend to stick to the easier flow lines there, e.g. gravy train. I also really enjoy voodoo, 2hi, rehab, etc. I'm 6' 190lbs and currently ride an 08 RFX that has seen it's better days. I'm kind of torn, I have a deposit on a Rune, but after riding a Troy, I've starting to lean towards a carbon 140-160 27.5 bike. The Sight/Range, Bronson and Troy all in the mix with the Rune. Can the Bronson handle those trails, if you know them? Any thoughts? thanks!
    fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches.

mtbr member
    Thanks jgusta, that was super helpful! And, sorry blatant, I just realized that it was jgusta who posted about his Rune.

jgusta - if by NW, you mean PNW, that's also where I am. I live about 15 mins or so from Duthie and tend to stick to the easier flow lines there, e.g. gravy train. I also really enjoy voodoo, 2hi, rehab, etc. I'm 6' 190lbs and currently ride an 08 RFX that has seen it's better days. I'm kind of torn, I have a deposit on a Rune, but after riding a Troy, I've starting to lean towards a carbon 140-160 27.5 bike. The Sight/Range, Bronson and Troy all in the mix with the Rune. Can the Bronson handle those trails, if you know them? Any thoughts? thanks!
    I am in Portland, so ride a lot in the Gorge this time of year and Sandy Ridge trail system, Blackrock at times. Haven't ridden Duthie yet, so can't comment, but sounds like a lot of burms, double jumps, gaps. For this kind of riding, my Rune is pretty awesome as I only have ridden the Bronson on techy trail stuff. This is why I plan to keep my Rune with Bronson, so to use Rune at more FR places like Blackrock, some lines at Sandy like TNT and AM/DH runs of Thrillium out of Cold Creek (SW WA). Plans for Bronson for everything else on trail. I rode a Troy for four days as well here and got my first taste for bigger wheel riding that I liked for general trail riding with a little better roll over rough, techy rock gardens, off camber rock section (Follow The Leader trail at Sandy). I was surprised how well the Troy jumped as well for being 5.5" 650b bike. About as well as Rune. My only complaint with Troy was that it didn't climb as well as my Rune, but Rune is still more aggro on the downs. I would say the Rune is more VPP-like in pedalling/descending, whereas Split-Pivot felt more single pivot like with no brake dive or jack. I came off an RFX as well. Had a 2006 coil that I rode for years everywhere, then Rune V1 (three frames in 2yrs), Yeti SB66 (2 frames and sheared linkages in 1yr), then Rune V2 (one broken rear end). Out of all these, the Rune V2 is by far the better descender and better climber in tech for that matter as well.
    Ride On!

Boulder chucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatant View Post

As for the carbon bars and the 35mm interface, I notice zero difference to be honest. I bought it because I swapped my Thomson/Deity Black Label setup to my SS and had some extra $$ for bling. I love the bend and width of the BZA bars, but the 35mm mounting vs 31.8 is marketing far as I can tell.
    What's the stem length on the chromag?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    50mm

Boulder chucker
    50mm
    I test rode an xl that had an 80mm and was trying to imagine what a 50 would be like. I'm at your height so, glad to hear you've got that on there. I take it you don't have any issues of it being too short then? Care to share your thoughts/experience with it?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    The 50mm stem is absolutely perfect for this bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jgusta View Post
    You make a very informed point about the Bronson vs. the Mach 6. The Bronson is the replacement for the Blur LT and NOT the Nomad. M6 is geared more towards the HD/Nomad market.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    You make a very informed point about the Bronson vs. the Mach 6. The Bronson is the replacement for the Blur LT and NOT the Nomad. M6 is geared more towards the HD/Nomad market.
    I rode the M6 back-to-back on the same trails as my Bronson during a test ride. Your impression wasn't mine at all. The two felt very, very similar to me. Both fantastic, but the M6 certainly didn't seem any more aggro than the Bronson.

For me, the rides were so similar, the choice ultimately would have come down to something benign like color or price.

mtbr member
    I agree on most trails they feel very similar. When it gets steep and deep the M6 starts to separate from the Bronson. In addition you can see it in the frame weight which says a lot about the intended uses. Bronson is 5.5 lbs while the M6 is 6.5 which again is the same class as the Nomad/HD.

I had some time on my buddy's Bronson and thought it was a great bike. I would not hesitate to recommend it.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Again -- and I'm certainly not trying to be argumentative -- that wasn't my experience at all. I rode the M6 on a trail called Hairball here in Phoenix Mountain Preserves. It's decently steep and very technical (chained rock drops, chutes, high-speed scree fields, a couple choppy climbs in the middle.

I ride it regularly on a variety of bikes. The M6 was excellent, but no more excellent than the Bronson. The extended mildly technical climb to get to the trail was perhaps slightly better on my Bronson, but that's my personal bike so it's tough to compare to a demo set up differently.

The M6 is very, very easy to jump on and ride well.

For me, the M6 and Bronson are ultimately two sides of the same coin, regardless of frame weight or perception of intended use. Just my nickel; both frames are exceptional.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    6'1.5" with 34" Levi's inseam. XL with 50 mm stem fits perfect. Have owned many Large Santa Cruz bikes with this being my first XL, 100% satisfied with this fit.

mtbr member
    The Sight/Range, Bronson and Troy all in the mix with the Rune. Can the Bronson handle those trails, if you know them? Any thoughts? thanks!
    The Norcos are very cool and definitely at the top of my list. I'm looking at a carbon sight. I test rode the bronson and it was fun as hell, but maybe a bit too heavy duty for my needs. I also thinking about the 5010 and the Trek Remedy, which felt really nice when I test rode it. The 9.7 carbon has a pretty good spec for the price, but the Norco is also much more bang for buck than Santa Cruz.

mtbr member
    I rode the M6 back-to-back on the same trails as my Bronson during a test ride. Your impression wasn't mine at all. The two felt very, very similar to me. Both fantastic, but the M6 certainly didn't seem any more aggro than the Bronson.

For me, the rides were so similar, the choice ultimately would have come down to something benign like color or price.
    Yes, can be kind of splitting hairs between the two since they are both really capable bikes. But for me, I made it up the techy climbs of Sedona a bit better and easier on Bronson than Mach6 and both had same 34 Float 150 forks and same shock. The Mach 6 maybe a very slight edge on the descents due to slacker geometry and little more linear feeling supsension to me, but was not much to Bronson. The M6 did jump more like a 26'er to me, but could of been cause of I was on smaller M6 frame vs Bronson as well. So pretty close in overall purposes between the two, but would prefer the Bronson for general aggro trail bike duties and M6 for more AM/Enduro racing kind of stuff due to a little more aggressive geometry for the descents. One thing I also noticed is that M6 rides a little lower to the ground than Bronson even though they have the same static BB heights due to M6 having a lower axle to BB drop more than likely. So for this as well, I would probably want M6 for more carvey, jumpy, slopey kind of terrain (AM/FR) over Bronson.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I agree on most trails they feel very similar. When it gets steep and deep the M6 starts to separate from the Bronson. In addition you can see it in the frame weight which says a lot about the intended uses. Bronson is 5.5 lbs while the M6 is 6.5 which again is the same class as the Nomad/HD.

I had some time on my buddy's Bronson and thought it was a great bike. I would not hesitate to recommend it.
    I agree with this, similar to my impression as well. If I was in market for "one bike" for where I live, the M6 would of been the better choice for me. I am getting a good deal on Bronson as well and more in market for go-to trail bike that can be ridden hard and loved how the Bronson performed under thesed circumstances, so it is gettting my money.
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    I'm with Blatant on this one and have to laugh at anyone suggesting the Bronson is simply a BLT replacement for trail riding. Jgusta - send your Bronson on Thrillium and get back to me. You'll be selling that Rune real fast. I'm running a Vector Air DH with 35% sag so BB height is low and bike is slack (especially with Pike 160). I think the Mach 6 gets better DH reviews only because they're running more sag with a superior rear shock (Float X vs CTD) and that one degree HTA diff. My Bc is a Nomad slayer on DH's that actually is a joy to climb back out and for trail use but to each their own!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Even the head of SC's Engineering?

The Bronson is the first model from Santa Cruz with the mid-size wheels, but it was initially conceived as a 26-inch-update to the company’s Blur LT trail bike. But as development progressed on that model, many mountain bikers began clamoring for the suddenly popular 27.5 wheels. According to Santa Cruz, they received thousands of phone calls and e-mails from potential customers asking when the company would release a bike with the wheel size.

Joe Graney, Santa Cruz’s director of engineering, says they halted progress on the 26-inch model and built a test model around the newer wheels. Surprisingly, the company couldn’t decide a clear winner—both test bikes rode great. But market forces convinced Santa Cruz to push ahead with the 27.5 wheels and the Bronson was born.

mtbr member
    Help me jebus!!!!

mtbr member
    The Bronson may have started as an idea of an updated "trail" bike but don't get ignorant over it's ability based on how an idea started. It is HARDLY and updated BLT (been there, DONE THAT - my BLT was a JOKE in comparison), it is clearly targeted towards Enduro and light FR. In fact, from their website: Bronson is not some rehashed 27.5" tribute act to anything else in our range. With a 67° head angle and 150mm travel yet massive uphill capability, Bronson screamed onto the scene like a Group B rally car for the Syndicate’s Enduro World Series campaign.

Here's a vid - Nomad vs. Bronson (some trail bike huh salespunk?!): EpicTV Video: "Kilian Bron and Maxime Peythieu Shred Southern France | The Steep World of Kilian Bron, Ep. 1"

Said it before - I'll say it again... Bronson gives up NOTHING to a Nomad nor a Mach 6 when set up with a good DH shock.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    A stiffer, stouter, more slacker Blur LT is a Nomad. The Bronson sits closer to the geo of the LT. The bigger wheel however just makes descents feel less steep so I'm guessing when building they beefed up the carbon to Nomad strength and kept the LT like geo. Hence the more stout feeling (stiffer/stronger carbon) than the LT yet the increased climbing ability from the Nomad (steeper geo). I can certainly see the fun in these smaller wheels, but I still like my TBLTc...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman086 View Post
    Said it before - I'll say it again... Bronson gives up NOTHING to a Nomad nor a Mach 6 when set up with a good DH shock.

G MAN
    Hey GMAN & Blatant,
    Have to side with Sales Punk on this one. Glad you guys dig your Bronsons, really do. I put 1000 miles on my Bronson before selling it. Tried 70 & 50mm stems, stock shock and a Monarch plus (would be interesting to try the floatX, but by the time it was available I wasn't ready to drop any more coin on the Bronson). Never felt confident on the bigger stuff on the Bro no matter how I set it, relative to my old Nomads or the HD650B that replaced it. As SP can attest, my riding and confidence on bigger terrain went way up on the HD during our recent trip to Sedona. I was hitting stuff that I never would have attempted on the Bronson. Don't get me wrong, the Bronson is a fun bike & pedals really well, but went things get rough I'd take an M6 or HD any day over the Bronson.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    If anything, I feel over-gunned on my bronson on those lines at duthie. It loves to jump, though...

Nope, the bronson, the norcos, the devinci, and I'd add the konas, knollys and intense to that bunch -- pretty much any of the 5-6" modern-geo 27.5 bikes -- are totally made for our local trails. There's a lot of stuff around here that I rode 10 years ago on my huge DH sled wearing a full-face that I'd only ride on a trailbike these days. Plus, you can pedal more, push less on the way up.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Damage View Post
    Hey GMAN & Blatant,
    Have to side with Sales Punk on this one. Glad you guys dig your Bronsons, really do. I put 1000 miles on my Bronson before selling it. Tried 70 & 50mm stems, stock shock and a Monarch plus (would be interesting to try the floatX, but by the time it was available I wasn't ready to drop any more coin on the Bronson). Never felt confident on the bigger stuff on the Bro no matter how I set it, relative to my old Nomads or the HD650B that replaced it. As SP can attest, my riding and confidence on bigger terrain went way up on the HD during our recent trip to Sedona. I was hitting stuff that I never would have attempted on the Bronson. Don't get me wrong, the Bronson is a fun bike & pedals really well, but went things get rough I'd take an M6 or HD any day over the Bronson.
    Uh, OK. This thread wasn't created as a p!ssing match about what bike is "better." It's simply a statement of my satisfaction with this particular bike. I tested the M6 and have ridden an HD160 (26er) a bit. I didn't personally care for the Ibis, but the M6 is a fantastic bike.

I rode a test M6 and my personal Bronson back-to-back on the same trail that I know well (Hairball, here in Phoenix). Both were great. I preferred my Bronson, but much of that was probably due to setup.

Glad you like your bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by nomadpop View Post
    6'1.5" with 34" Levi's inseam. XL with 50 mm stem fits perfect. Have owned many Large Santa Cruz bikes with this being my first XL, 100% satisfied with this fit.
    Exact same height and setup as I have on my Bronson. Running a Race Face Atlas 50mm Stem and 785mm bar.

My bike is dialed with the CCDB CS and RS Pike, however if the new Nomad 27.5 was available a year ago, I would have gone for it considering the type of riding I like to do...

-bronson.jpg

-img_2999.jpg

mtbr member
    Hey GMAN & Blatant,
    Bronson wouldn't be my bike of choice for heavy hitter, aggro-AM machine as well even though it can be built up to ride as such to some degree (bigger fork, shock, wheels). Sounds like Nomad 27.5" will fill that void in SC's line-up. I am getting my Bronson next week finally and will be my do-all aggro trail bike and keep my Rune for more AM/FR stuff with bigger hits and steeper, rougher terrain. I prefer bikes that are fully triangulated in back end on both sides for more aggro style riding (bigger jumps and drops) especially at being +200lbs. I have killed many a chainstay on non-fully triangulated rear ends to take a bit more of the loads (Yeti SB66).
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Uh, OK. This thread wasn't created as a p!ssing match about what bike is "better." It's simply a statement of my satisfaction with this particular bike. I tested the M6 and have ridden an HD160 (26er) a bit. I didn't personally care for the Ibis, but the M6 is a fantastic bike.

I rode a test M6 and my personal Bronson back-to-back on the same trail that I know well (Hairball, here in Phoenix). Both were great. I preferred my Bronson, but much of that was probably due to setup.

Glad you like your bike.
    No p?ssing match intended
    I just like bikes of all shapes and sizes and certainly fit and setup can make a huge difference. Fun and preference can be pretty subjective. Take a look at my post over on the ibis forum... Speed is absolute and for me, the HD650 is faster on my local trails where sometimes the Bronson never made it to the top 10 through my 3 years of data.

Back to Back BronsonC -- HDR650

mtbr member
    Just wanted to chime in here; I posted an extensive comparison between Bronson and M6 based on extended ownership of the former and current ownership of the latter. I'd agree with the overall sentiment that the M6 is a bit more toward the AM side of the spectrum:

BronsonC vs. Mach6: My thoughts and experiences

I live in Seattle; both these bikes kill it at Duthie, but I'd pick the M6. Shorter stays, slacker angles, jumps and manuals on anything. 5'+ drops to near-flat (like the one right after the initial drop in/step up on Voodoo) are totally effortless.

FWIW I'm just a hair over 6'2" and felt that an XL fit me great in both bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    He just digs his Bronson and wanted to share people! He doesn't care if some other bike is "meant" to be ore AM or something like that. Besides, anyone who rides techy stuff in Phoenix and is happy with their bike would pretty much laugh at anyone who tells them their bike isn't all mountain enough. Strava times, WTF!

PS: Blur LTc was a very strong & stiff frame. I noticed zero stiffness increase when I swapped parts from the LTc to a Nomadc. SC didn't even have a fork length limit for the frame. LTc was overbuilt and I wouldn't hesitate to ride anything on that frame that I do with my Nomad. I imagine the bronson is plenty strong too and SC now just know how to shave some unnecessary weight.

mtbr member
    So now you have a problem with empirical data like Strava? Nobody said the Bronson wasn't a great bike. People argued that the Bronson was the Nomad replacement and meant as an AM bike. I posted specific quotes from SC engineers that refuted those statements. Now that the Nomad 275 is coming out SC is saying the exact same thing again. They are also fully triangulating the frame to increase stiffness. Want to make a bet that it will weigh close to 6.5 lbs? It will weigh that much because that is what is needed to combat flex and make it durable enough in the edge use cases. Very few of us touch those edges but that doesn't mean that some of us don't notice flex that others don't. The OP made a comparison to the Mach 6 and a few of us disagreed with his view.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So now you have a problem with empirical data like Strava? Nobody said the Bronson wasn't a great bike. People argued that the Bronson was the Nomad replacement and meant as an AM bike. I posted specific quotes from SC engineers that refuted those statements. Now that the Nomad 275 is coming out SC is saying the exact same thing again. They are also fully triangulating the frame to increase stiffness. Want to make a bet that it will weigh close to 6.5 lbs? It will weigh that much because that is what is needed to combat flex and make it durable enough in the edge use cases. Very few of us touch those edges but that doesn't mean that some of us don't notice flex that others don't. The OP made a comparison to the Mach 6 and a few of us disagreed with his view.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    The Nomad 275 looks to be a AM slayer kind of a bike for sure. A bike I would replace my Rune with, if I were to ever do so. Until then it's Bro and Rune for me!
    Ride On!

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Again, this seems to have taken an argumentative tone. I just posted cuz I'm stoked with my rig. That's really the end of the story.

I only mentioned the M6 after several others folks (perhaps inevitably) chimed in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    He just digs his Bronson and wanted to share people! He doesn't care if some other bike is "meant" to be ore AM or something like that. Besides, anyone who rides techy stuff in Phoenix and is happy with their bike would pretty much laugh at anyone who tells them their bike isn't all mountain enough. Strava times, WTF!

PS: Blur LTc was a very strong & stiff frame. I noticed zero stiffness increase when I swapped parts from the LTc to a Nomadc. SC didn't even have a fork length limit for the frame. LTc was overbuilt and I wouldn't hesitate to ride anything on that frame that I do with my Nomad. I imagine the bronson is plenty strong too and SC now just know how to shave some unnecessary weight.
    Nobody said he shouldn't dig his Bronson or that the Bronson wasn't capable or all mountain enough. We were just having a healthy debate on wether the Bronson or M6 was more 'all mtn'.

If you have a better way to compare bikes head to head than strava times I'd love to hear it. The enduro compare O just didn't do it for me because they just say how great everything is. For me I just found it interesting how much faster I was on the HD than the Bronson similarly equiped...

LT vs Nomad. Each has their niche. But if you are a bigger guy hitting bigger lines, I'd still argue that the Nomad is going to be more capable.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Sorry for the tone of my post. For the record, I think Strava is great but using your times to argue a certain bike would be better for someone else doesn't make sense to me.... and I think the Brons, Mach6, HD, etc. are all great too. Just seems really silly to have an argument over which is more AM or if the Bronson replaces a Nomad or an LT, especially in a stoke thread. I guess I view all these bikes as good AM bikes with different flavors.

mtbr member
    All good guys! Enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If you have a better way to compare bikes head to head than strava times I'd love to hear it. The enduro compare O just didn't do it for me because they just say how great everything is. For me I just found it interesting how much faster I was on the HD than the Bronson similarly equiped...
    I agree with you to some extent, but would also note that some bikes may be faster when timed, but not "feel" as right - or, as fun. I suspect most of us are not racing and at the end of the day while it's nice lay down some fast runs, it's more important to me that I just have fun and enjoy myself whenever I'm on a trail.

So I definitely would have appreciated an averaged two runs from one experienced person on every bike in the Compare-O. If it turns out the Enduro or Bronson were x seconds faster than the other bikes, that would be more important to those interested in racing or strava times. It still wouldn't change the fact that everyone needs to sit on a bike and give it a ride to find out which one "fits" them better, or feels better when they're climbing or bombing a run, etc....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastroots View Post
    So I definitely would have appreciated an averaged two runs from one experienced person on every bike in the Compare-O. If it turns out the Enduro or Bronson were x seconds faster than the other bikes, that would be more important to those interested in racing or strava times.
    Fair point. They did pick a "best race bike" from the list, but didn't post any times, which made the category a little bit of a head-scratcher.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Blatant- I'm in the process of ordering a Bronson C for my dad and brother to share but I have a bit of a dilemma. In a perfect world I could afford to get them each their own but that's not the case. My dad is 6'2 and my brother is 5'11 and I'm trying to figure out whether to get a L which would suite my brother better and be a bit small for my dad or get an XL which would fit my dad better and maybe have to get a really short stem to put on when my brother rides. Now neither of them have ridden enough to know what bike fits them best each of them would ride it once a week maybe if not once every two weeks so obviously it doesn't need to be perfect. I'm leaning towards the L and getting a little longer stem for when my dad rides and just want to know with you at 6'2 was a L manageable?

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, the large was manageable for me with a 70mm stem, but it's not perfect. In your situation, I suspect the large would be the better choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Again, this seems to have taken an argumentative tone. I just posted cuz I'm stoked with my rig. That's really the end of the story.

I only mentioned the M6 after several others folks (perhaps inevitably) chimed in.
    Is this bike for sale on Phoenix, Craigslist right now?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    Why would it be on Craigslist Bronsondude? It wouldn't make any sense to buy a new top of the line carbon bike, ride it six months, declare it the best bike he has ever owned and turn around and shill it on Craigslist, now would it?!?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Cope View Post
    Why would it be on Craigslist Bronsondude? It wouldn't make any sense to buy a new top of the line carbon bike, ride it six months, declare it the best bike he has ever owned and turn around and shill it on Craigslist, now would it?!?
    Too funny. That's what I was thinking.

mtbr member
    Nope. It's on Pinkbike. True story.

Fully custom Santa Cruz Bronson C, XL, will trade - Pinkbike
    konahonzo

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Wow, tough crowd.

Bronsondude: Do I know you? You always seem to be showing up and yapping.

Yes, the bike is for sale/trade. I'm interested in trying an Enduro 29 is the only reason. Doesn't change anything I said in this thread or any other. The Bronson IS the best bike I've personally owned or ridden. I'll be happy to continue riding it if it doesn't move along.

Seems like it's my prerogative to buy or sell whatever I choose or am I mistaken?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    B it's funny I never know what bike you currently ride but I always know what you're selling from my constant Craigslist browsing. We met once irl to though when a buddy and I bought gear off you long ago. Hope to hear the enduro treats you right! Should start doing bike comparison videos simply by running your time trial from voaz down to the lot.

mtbr member
    I was thinking you're selling to try the new Nomad.
    konahonzo

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sorry Blatant. Didn't mean to upset you. I was just browsing Craigslist and had come up and a Carbon Bronson much like yours. Only after looking closer I realized it appeared to be the same bike. I thought to myself, how can this be? This guy has an extensive thread on MTBR about how much he loves that bike. It can't be. Your right. It is totally your perogative to buy and sell as many bikes as you want. That's why your so knowledgable about all things mountain bike. Who am I to question? Again I am sorry if I came off like I was busting balls. I was, and for that I apologize. I ll do my yapping elsewhere I guess. I thought these forums were for everyone. Guess I was wrong about that as well. No you don't know me.
    Last edited by Bronsondude; 04-02-2014 at 07:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sorry Blatant. Didn't mean to upset you. I was just browsing Craigslist and had come up and a Carbon Bronson much like yours. Only after looking closer I realized it appeared to be the same bike. I thought to myself, how can this be? This guy has an extensive thread on MTBR about how much he loves that bike. It can't be. Your right. It is totally your perogative to buy and sell as many bikes as you want. That's why your so knowledgable about all things mountain bike. Who am I to question? Again I am sorry if I came off like I was busting balls. I was, and for that I apologize. I ll do my yapping elsewhere I guess. I thought these forums were for everyone. Guess I was wrong about that as well. No you don't know me.
    Same thought as well...if it's the "best bike evar"...why would you want to sell it only after 6 months....especially for an "S" bike....seems like a downgrade to me. To each his own.

mtbr member
    You can love a woman and want to try a new woman, so...

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    hmm now that theres a new santacruz 650b enduro gnarpoon that actually has a decent amount of reach and short chainstays
    I think a lot of people might be dumping their bestest-bike-evaaaah-Bronsons on craigslist or pinkbike soon

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    They will put them up for sale, but as usual will be asking 90% of new prices too

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Super-snarkfest here, man. Bummed that I ever posted this thread and will keep that in mind in the future. That said, still riding the Bronson and it is still the best bike I've owned. Be happy to keep riding it, but want the opportunity to try out an E29.

When it all boils out, I think I'm faster on a 29er, but I've sure had fun on the 27.5.

As for pricing, factoring in the Avy'd shock and the headset, I'm asking about 70% of new for my frame, which seems pretty reasonable I think.

I think I'm done with this thread, but feel free to keep taking shots at me if you wish. Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Blatant,

I wasn't taking a shot at you, I was taking a shot at the guys asking new prices for year old rigs.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Re: Jebus I love this bike … (Bronson content)

Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    You can love a woman and want to try a new woman, so...

I find bikes to be a bit more forgiving in this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

When it all boils out, I think I'm faster on a 29er, but I've sure had fun on the 27.5.
    Isn't having fun more important than being fast?

mtbr member
    Super-snarkfest here, man. Bummed that I ever posted this thread and will keep that in mind in the future. That said, still riding the Bronson and it is still the best bike I've owned. Be happy to keep riding it, but want the opportunity to try out an E29.

As for pricing, factoring in the Avy'd shock and the headset, I'm asking about 70% of new for my frame, which seems pretty reasonable I think.

I think I'm done with this thread, but feel free to keep taking shots at me if you wish. Enjoy.
    Blatant, FYI I have gone down this route and am back on a 275 bike. Just sold my E29 because after several hundred miles of riding and doing back to back Strava runs I found ZERO difference in speed over any type of terrain. I did specific tests on everything from fire road climbs to super tight rocky descents. End result was identical times to the second vs my 26 Mojo HDR even over segments up to 10 minutes long. E29 was fun to monster truck at first, then I realized that I had more fun and definitely felt more in control on the smaller wheels especially when it got steep and gnarly. Just my $.02 though!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I dont know your financial situation but why not just get the E29 and have 2 bikes?

You're going to find a scenario where your E29 is more ideal than your bronson and vice versa. Variety is the spice of life. I would own all 3 wheelsizes if I didnt have all my funds tied up in my 26" Knolly. YMMV.

You dont know what you got til its gone. Best of luck to the OP.

mtbr member
    Not hacking on you....just a comment on price specific to SC frames.

Buying used you lose the 5yr warranty and you don't have access to the SC no fault program so buying even a month old carbon SC frame you lose a bunch of value which makes flipping these bikes somewhat harder.

Good luck with the E29. Post up your thoughts relative to the Bronson once you've had some time on it.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    If I could get a 5k bike for 3500 (70%), I'd probably risk losing the warranty.

Santa Cruz would have to know you bought used anyway. Seller could provide a receipt...etc.

But a lot of shops will discount that 5K bike anyway.

Pivoteer
    I'm not surprised by Blatant's comments. He likes to try new stuff, nothing wrong with that, hell we all do. He loved his Pivot Mach 5.7 too and quickly fell out of love, just check out his review on the Pivot forum. I have no issues with him spending his money and supporting the bike business.

However, with today's bikes, I highly doubt you will be measurably faster on any new bike within a specific class of bike, they are all so good anymore. Each bike may have a small advantage in a certain area than another, but over the period of a complete ride, I'd be willing to bet that it averages out (assuming you are riding the right bike; ex: XC bike on a XC ride, DH bike on DH ride). I think the only way you will get faster is to be a better rider, and one way to do that is to be familiar with your bike, tires, suspension setting, the details. Hard to do when you are constantly changing bikes. It took me at least 2 solid months when I changed brands from Turner to Knolly to "learn" how to ride a Knolly. I'm still working on getting faster on the Knolly after 4 years.

At the end of the day, it's about having fun, and I certainly LOVE looking at all the new equipment and spec'ing a new bike. I do feel faster on a new bike for the first few rides while the new bike adrenaline kicks in.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com