mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Ideas for new bike

Possibly looking to buy a new bike. Looking for ideas. I live in Western North Carolina so my writing is mostly in Pisgah National Forest. There are long sustained climbs. That can be technical. And Technical decent. I weigh 125 and really like to climb so I don't want something that is not efficient but I don't want to give up on the downhill either. I usually ride around five times a week weather depending so I don't want a big hit bike that wears me down after a few days. I am currently looking at a Santa Cruz 5010 but I'm open to other options. Right now I ride a140 front and rear travel. I definitely want 27.5 other than that I'm open for options. Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    before i decided on a 5010 i was considering a trek remedy, giant trance or anthem. i test rode both giants, but not the remedy. i also just rode the new trance and have no regrets getting the 5010.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The 5010 would be on my list as well as the Bronson. Two other bikes on my list are the Turner Flux and RFX. These four bikes pedal better that you would think given the travel, which range from 130mm on the 5010 to 160mm on the RFX.
    Although there are many bikes that fit your criteria, personally I like more of the " boutique" brands over the likes of say Specialized or Trek.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    You have The Hub and Sycamore Cycles right there. You have several bikes to rent and try before you buy.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My vote is for the Flux. I have a 2015 aluminum version with 140 up front, and I love it. I've had up to VT, down to Harrisonburg VA, and I mostly ride in northeast PA, where there is rocks, roots, and more of both. Very nimble but can handle the rough stuff when needed.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You may consider something like a Rocky mountain thunderbolt bc edition. It's a little lighter in the rear end but still made to blast over things easily.

mtbr member
    Spot Rollik 557
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2017 Spot Mayhem
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    Foes Analog. This bike is fast.

And made in USA.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The 5010 is an awesome bike. I had planned to buy one until I demoed and intense spider. They are super similar. The spider feels sharper and turns better due to shorter chainstays. I've ridden mine at Pisgah and thought it perfectly suited to the terrain. Demo both if you can and grab the one that suites you best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy G. Parrish View Post
    You have The Hub and Sycamore Cycles right there. You have several bikes to rent and try before you buy.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    This. You can't go wrong with a 5010, but ride and decide.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    The 5010 is an awesome bike. I had planned to buy one until I demoed and intense spider. They are super similar. The spider feels sharper and turns better due to shorter chainstays. I've ridden mine at Pisgah and thought it perfectly suited to the terrain. Demo both if you can and grab the one that suites you best.
    The Spider is a solid bike. I think that bike would be a better East Coast rig than the 5010