this might morph into a long, rambling post so i apologize in advance.

back in june, i purchased a 2017 marin hawk hill. after riding it only i think eight times, badly dislocated my right shoulder. never mind all that; i'm really stoked on the prospect of riding a brand new bike with modern suspension and geometry when the medical people give me the go-ahead.

here are the stats on the 2017 hawk hill:

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/gui...awk-Hill,19682

the only things i've changed are the stem and bar--both the medium and large felt way too cramped until the shop switched out the 60mm stem for an 80 and i swapped the stock 780 bar for the 725 race face turbine from my hardtail. i did this more due to the fact the 780's are just too wide to maneuver in my san francisco boxcar flat without leaving big black marks on all the walls leading to my bike room. and the saddle.

major changes i plan on making once i'm back to working and making money rather than collecting cal SDI would be in this order:

--30T ring to replace 32T

--dropper post

--wheelset with the 140-something spacing, maybe something a little lighter.

--a suspension fork a notch or four better. (this is a very long-term planed upgrade)

when i purchased this bike, i was on the fence between the red pine mountain plus bike and the hawk hill. after much discussion and some test rides (unfortunately, i could not demo these bikes) i decided on the hawk hill, because it seemed to be the best full suspension bike available at the $1500 price point.

after the eight rides i spoke of, i am of a mind this bike as delivered from the shop MIGHT not be optimal for my style of riding and where i ride.

where i ride is mostly in golden gate park and the marin headlands and beyond. i don't use a car to get to any of the places i ride to in marin, so a substantial part of any ride i do outside of san francisco proper is on paved surfaces.

golden gate park is mostly sandy, twisty singletrack on the east side and serpentine hardpack with serious patches of sand singletrack on its west end. what serious climbing there is in this urban park is short and sharp, excluding the gradual fire road climbs on the north and south sides.

the marin headlands involves a LOT of long fire road climbs, some of which can be quite steep and loose. once those fire trails are ascended, the descent possibilities can run the gamut from fire roads resembling well-maintained interstates to high speed, to mt tam's fast and rocky eldridge grade or the SCA trail in the headlands which transitions from flowy singletrack to baseball sized rocks back to flowy singletrack back to rocks again.

none of this which i ride particularly aggressively, but i'm not creeping through this terrain, either.

i consider my technical skills to be average, at best.

my climbing ability for a recreational rider is probably just above average.

my height is six feet, i weigh about 185 and carry a hydration pack with almost ten pounds of water, tools and a camera.

based on this information, what changes would you make to this bike
a little more suitable for my riding style and terrain besides the ones i've made and plan on making?

as always, thanks in advance for your suggestions.

they'll be adopted or shitcanned as warranted.

edit: here's the geometry chart for this bike, for what it's worth. i purchased a large.