Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DILLIGAF

Ibis Mojo HDR 650B??

Ibis is announcing a new bike 6/10. There is a lot speculation by the ibisians but the concesus is that it is a Mojo HD-R 650B. Details sleuthed from the ibis website:

HD-R b-Sample
    130mm travel with 650b wheels
    • 160mm Post Mount Rear Brake, 180/185 rotors work with adapters
    • BB height w/ 2.3" tires: 352mm (13.8")
    • Geometry measured with 140mm 650b 34 Fox fork, 534.4 Axle to Crown height
    • Trail: 100mm

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If that's the speculation, I'll stick with my 650b Mojo HD 140. Where did that travel number come from? I personally would have expected a 150mm bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    agreed those specs seem weak given what the current HD converted to 650b has...

mtbr member
    It's not going to be 130mm

Old goat
    Aug 2009
    what's wrong with 130mm, especially if it fits all manner of tires without issue or need for travel reduction on the stock shock? works for loads of very popular bikes. seems a 'win' to me. especially if you can still get a 140. /shrug

mtbr member
    130=not going to happen.

mtbr member
    HD and 130 don't belong in the same sentence. The HD 650 is going to be a Bronson competitor, not an XC bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    why don't they just come out with a new rear triangle that fits HD160 frame and accommodates bigger tires/full travel? wouldn't that be great...

mtbr member
    It doesn't work like that, plus they might be doing updated layups and different linkages. A lot of us that have rode the HD in the 650B config don't like it as much. You cannot just design a new rear and fit it to the front and call it a day. Ibis knows this. Again if the frame is even an HD update. Again nobody knowsssssssss till Monday, but I will see it Monday.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    we'll just hold our breath and cynical replies till June 10....;-)

it's the ride....
    May 2004
    I will hold my breath...
    Ulating blencong sejatine tataraning lelaku...

mtbr member
    I am about to pull the trigger on a long travel AM bike, still trying to decide on a 29er or a 650b. I rode the HD and the Ripley, liked the HD, loved the Ripley but wanted at least 140mm of travel. Frankly the amount of time Ibis takes to put out a bike is very disapointing to say the least, case and point the Ripley! People have been demanding a 650b HD for years now. That is the bike I want, the bike I will not hesitate to pull the trigger on. Yet having to wait all summer without a ride, well thats just cruel!

Meanwhile Santa Cruz has put out the Bronson and Solo in addition to their Tallboy LT! All of which seem to be readily available!

So my question is ... realistically when can I expect to have the Mojo HD 650b in my hands and on the trail?

Should I just go get the Bronson and put an end to this endless wait? Also interested in the Enduro 29er, but even though it has been released no shops have em! Why is the bike industry dragging its feet in a massive cluster f@$% of logistics?<k of="" logistics?<="" html=""></k>

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AMjunky View Post
    So my question is ... realistically when can I expect to have the Mojo HD 650b in my hands and on the trail?
    How can we know? You can convert a 26" HD 140 to 650b today, that setup is approved by Ibis. Besides that, anything we have is speculation. Speculating is fun but I would not use it as a decision factor for planning a bike purchase. We might know more on Monday when Ibis makes their announcement.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My sense is you will not have to wait that long, but it may be difficult to get one until later in the summer. I still don't understand why everyone got so uptight about the Ripley--they showed a protoype version and specifically stated it would not be available for some time. When they finally did release it, frames were ready and out the door pretty much immediately. Ibis has said that they are moving towards a model of being more secretive about new bikes until they are ready to ship. Personally, I prefer knowing whether something is coming because I can wait. Others seem to take that so much harder.

On the bike itself, seems that the best speculation is a 150/130 limbo chipped HD-R 650b with some of the frame design elements developed with the SLR.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I think in the case of the Ripley it was developing and ironing out all the kinks in the eccentrics which changed multiple times and then they had to switch up carbon manufacturers to meet the expected QC. Long travel eccentrics might prove difficult. Do they have to increase in size to get the needed travel??? Maybe we will still see little links still but the eccentrics are very slick. Hard to believe they would drop the travel to 130mm either. HD owners and fans will cry foul. I see no reason why it couldn't be 140, 150, or 160. Pick the right shock length combined with limbo chips and bingo, have it your way.

All I know is if the newly revealed bike is a slick new HD 650B my new Banshee Spitfire V2 frame might never leave the shipping box. No other new bike frame but a true 650B HD would make me think of doing something that crazy. Now the wait until Monday!

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    All I know is if the newly revealed bike is a slick new HD 650B my new Banshee Spitfire V2 frame might never leave the shipping box. No other new bike frame but a true 650B HD would make me think of doing something that crazy. Now the wait until Monday!
    LOL Skidad! Do not be crazy and build that bad baby already, I want to see it in action. I am with you btw., a 130mm HD is not happening. This is a super exciting year for 650b fans, is not it?

mtbr member
    Interesting. I was wondering when Ibis would hit the 650B officially. So many tough choices in the 650B and 29'er enduro bike market right now!

mtbr member
    Changing the HD to 130mm travel, is as good of an idea as a breast reduction for cosmetic reasons. Its almost never a good idea to kill the fun factor in favor of practicality.

140mm HD 650b - NO!
    150mm HD 650b - OK, fine I'll take it!
    160mm HD 650b - YES Please!
    170mm HD 650b - HMMMMM?

mtbr member
    Changing the HD to 130mm travel, is as good of an idea as a breast reduction for cosmetic reasons. Its almost never a good idea to kill the fun factor in favor of practicality.

140mm HD 650b - NO!
    150mm HD 650b - OK, fine I'll take it!
    160mm HD 650b - YES Please!
    170mm HD 650b - HMMMMM?
    Definitely 160mm is the most interesting possibility.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    Ibis is announcing a new bike 6/10. There is a lot speculation by the ibisians but the concesus is that it is a Mojo HD-R 650B. Details sleuthed from the ibis website:

HD-R b-Sample
    130mm travel with 650b wheels
    • 160mm Post Mount Rear Brake, 180/185 rotors work with adapters
    • BB height w/ 2.3" tires: 352mm (13.8")
    • Geometry measured with 140mm 650b 34 Fox fork, 534.4 Axle to Crown height
    • Trail: 100mm
    Im betting this too, but also the ability to throw in 26in wheels and out it back to 160mm

DILLIGAF
    I love the way my Mojo SL 650B handles! But...I have had my eye on a new Ripley. And now the possibility of an HD-R 650B. TOUGH choices!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The problem is, a 650b bike with less than 150mm of travel wouldn't be interesting. It wouldn't be a bike Ibis would be willing to make. Ibis wouldn't release a second 140mm bike with slight geometry differences and fairly similar wheel sizes. A shorter travel 650b bike would be silly, with the Ripley as nimble as it reportedly is. The most compelling case for a 650b full-suspension bike is the longer-travel AM bike, and Ibis is farsighted enough (and sensitive enough to its customers) to know this. That points to an updated HD at around 160mm.

Between the Ripley and the SL/SL-R, I cannot imagine Ibis being stupid enough to release a 130mm trail bike. It won't happen, and if it's what's released tomorrow, I will go to goodwill and purchase a hat just so I can eat it.

Addendum: I meant the above to only consider full-suspension bikes. Personally I think a 650b Tranny built into a 17lb rocketship would be a barrel of fun too, but I don't think anyone's seriously expecting that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2405 View Post
    The problem is, a 650b bike with less than 150mm of travel wouldn't be interesting. It wouldn't be a bike Ibis would be willing to make. Ibis wouldn't release a second 140mm bike with slight geometry differences and fairly similar wheel sizes. A shorter travel 650b bike would be silly, with the Ripley as nimble as it reportedly is. The most compelling case for a 650b full-suspension bike is the longer-travel AM bike, and Ibis is farsighted enough (and sensitive enough to its customers) to know this. That points to an updated HD at around 160mm.

Between the Ripley and the SL/SL-R, I cannot imagine Ibis being stupid enough to release a 130mm trail bike. It won't happen, and if it's what's released tomorrow, I will go to goodwill and purchase a hat just so I can eat it.

Addendum: I meant the above to only consider full-suspension bikes. Personally I think a 650b Tranny built into a 17lb rocketship would be a barrel of fun too, but I don't think anyone's seriously expecting that.
    Will you eat the hat if it is 130-150 adjustable travel?

DILLIGAF
    Mojo HDR 650B released!

Mojo HDR 650b | Bikes | Ibis Cycles US

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Ibis Mojo HDR 650B??

Quote Originally Posted by pdumas View Post
    Will you eat the hat if it is 130-150 adjustable travel?
    Have you ridden the Ripley?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ehigh View Post
    Have you ridden the Ripley?

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    I have not. My 29er is a hardtail and will stay that way. My 26er is an HD and will stay that way. I just had a feeling that the new 650b bike would be 130-150 travel, as did others. I was simply curious if the man would eat the hat in that case. I think he owes it to us to eat the hat.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    edit; double post

Whatever
    I am getting an Unauthorized Access message to that link... also from the Ibis email newsletter :-(
    just ride

banned
    Feb 2012
    Somehow a deflating event for me. The 150 mode is exactly the same as the 160 mode, you have to shim the shock to prevent rear tire from hitting the seat tube. The 130 mode drops the BB by about 1/2" and obviously uses a slightly different leverage ratio curve via new limbo chips. The rear triangle seems be offering exactly the same amount of room for rear tires as the HD; chain stays have the same length and site says some of the 2.35 tires will fit (meaning many of the 2.25 tires will not).

Good thing is, I am not tempted to hand over cash for new stuff!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Actually, there is a bunch more room / the swing arm has been retooled for 650b clearance. Sorry, we didn't make that clear, it's important ; )
    H

Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Somehow a deflating event for me. The 150 mode is exactly the same as the 160 mode, you have to shim the shock to prevent rear tire from hitting the seat tube. The 130 mode drops the BB by about 1/2" and obviously uses a slightly different leverage ratio curve via new limbo chips. The rear triangle seems be offering exactly the same amount of room for rear tires as the HD; chain stays have the same length and site says some of the 2.35 tires will fit (meaning many of the 2.25 tires will not).

Good thing is, I am not tempted to hand over cash for new stuff!

mtbr member
    130mm = FAIL.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    seems like a lot of R & D was done by the folks on here who converted to 650b...

Hans, I am curious if the swing arm was retooled why didnt y'all get the max advantage and modify to get full 160mm travel out of it? as StiHacka said I am not tempted by this over my HD160 650b conversion...this doesn't seem like a big improvement
    just sayin'...nice lookin bike in any case

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    Actually, there is a bunch more room / the swing arm has been retooled for 650b clearance. Sorry, we didn't make that clear, it's important ; )
    H
    Thank you Hans. Yep, you should highlight that as one of the major improvements, moar space for tires is critical! Will we be able to retrofit the new triangle to existing HD frames? I managed to gauge the yoke pretty bad.

mtbr member
    Wow, initial impression, what a disappointment!!!! 130mm on an HD is blasphemy! Hard to imagine a bigger build up and FAIL!

Still reading all the specs, but how is this different than the previous HD than you could shim down to 150mm?

Now its covered by warranty and is slightly lighter. Was a 160mm 650b HD that hard to make? Norco had no problems doing it!

Oh yeah and internal cable routing would have been nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The HDR swingarm does not directly retrofit on to the HD.
    Yet.
    In addition to adding a more tire clearance, we offset the link attachment points to get more clearance for FD and ISCG. We are planning on making some retrofit swing arms for people would want to put them on HDs. It will be several months away before we can do it, maybe around the end of the year, but we're planning on it. It is a 2mm shift in the suspension pivot tubes, so we can make a special run of swing arms for retrofit. Then you'd have more tire and chain clearance.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Thank you Hans! Best of luck to HDR and I am looking forward to seeing a dedicated 650b trail monster with eccentric links at some point in the future.

mtbr member
    I've been fortunate to have an Ibis Mojo HDR since mid May. I headed over to Melrose South Australia for a few weeks to check it out and with the bike's release am now able to post a few stories on it!

It's been a whole load of fun... and amongst other things a perfect opportunity to explore 26" vs 650b back to back. I was blown away by what followed...!

Links to stories:

Ibis Mojo HDR First Look | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR ISCG Mount | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR 26" to 650b Conversion | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR 650b vs Mojo HDR 26" | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR 650B??-ibis-mojo-hdr-eurovision-gopro-jump.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    to call this new bike a FAIL - without throwing a leg over it - is pretty ridiculous. I - and most likely many of you - have ridden many a bike that either punched above their weight class or failed to live up - based on the paper spec - im intrigued for many reasons and will reserve any/all "judgement til a ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pete - Curious if there are any changes/tweaks to the suspension curve compared to your existing HD? or does it ride the same (nothing wrong with that

Quote Originally Posted by digitalhippie13 View Post
    I've been fortunate to have an Ibis Mojo HDR since mid May. I headed over to Melrose South Australia for a few weeks to check it out and with the bike's release am now able to post a few stories on it!

It's been a whole load of fun... and amongst other things a perfect opportunity to explore 26" vs 650b back to back. I was blown away by what followed...!

Links to stories:

Ibis Mojo HDR First Look | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR ISCG Mount | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR 26" to 650b Conversion | Ibis Mojo HDR

Ibis Mojo HDR 650b vs Mojo HDR 26" | Ibis Mojo HDR

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibis-mojo-hdr-eurovision-gopro-jump.jpg 
Views:	1399 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	807044
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    Many of us haven't tried or seen a HD 650b conversion, but know the complaints. High BB and little tire clearance. Does anyone know how the new 13.5 bb height compares to the prior converted HD's?

Also for the 130 shock mode. I am somewhat confused. If say you bought a 650b HDR frame with the cane creek shock would this be a 130mm DB air shock going through all it's travel, or a 160mm shock that was limited in some way from using the full stroke.

banned
    Feb 2012
    26" Mojo HD 140: BB height 13.5" (posted on Ibis site)
    650b Mojo HD 140: BB height 14.0" (approx., 650b wheels raise the BB by 1/2")
    650b Mojo HDR 130: BB height 13.5" (posted on Ibis site)

26" Mojo HD 160: BB height 13.8" (posted on Ibis site)
    650b Mojo HD 160: BB height 14.3" (approx., 650b wheels raise the BB by 1/2")
    26" Mojo HDR 160: BB height 13.8" (posted on Ibis site)
    650b Mojo HDR 160: BB height 14.3" (approx., 650b wheels raise the BB by 1/2")

If you convert between 160 and 140/130 modes, you need two sizes of shock - 8.5"/2.5" for 160 or 7.875"/2.0" for 140 and 130.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    Pete - Curious if there are any changes/tweaks to the suspension curve compared to your existing HD? or does it ride the same (nothing wrong with that
    Previously I was running the original release of Mojo HD for 2 1/2 years so changing over to the HDR (setup as a 26" 160mm) a few things were in play. Performance-wise the new shock for example was a significant upgrade to my old one. Yep rode a bunch better. Probably the biggest thing overall though is the 'feel' of the HDR frame which has changed for the better imo. I'd reckon the change over to the use of SL-R molding technology and related weight reduction plays a part in this. I've ridden the HD, HDR and SL-R back to back and in terms of how the frame feels you do notice some of the positive characteristics of the SL-R present in the HDR, which the HD lacks. A friend who has also ridden HD's over the last couple of years along with SL-R and earlier Mojo's immediately commented on the same thing.

I also rode the HDR set up as a 26" 160mm and a 650b 130mm back to back which TBH really blew me away as I was quietly expecting the 26" to rule, the trails however had other ideas!

In terms of suspension curves and stuff, that'd be one for Ibis to comment on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hanssc View Post
    The HDR swingarm does not directly retrofit on to the HD.
    Yet.
    In addition to adding a more tire clearance, we offset the link attachment points to get more clearance for FD and ISCG. We are planning on making some retrofit swing arms for people would want to put them on HDs. It will be several months away before we can do it, maybe around the end of the year, but we're planning on it. It is a 2mm shift in the suspension pivot tubes, so we can make a special run of swing arms for retrofit. Then you'd have more tire and chain clearance.
    Hans,

This is good news. That said, I have to say I'm kinda disappointed that there wasn't at least a bit of a warning to dealers (My dealer had no clue when I told them about the new model) about the HDR. I just received my HD 140 last week (still in the box) but might have ordered the HDR for the slight weight reduction and tire clearence. Hopefully the retrofit will be reasonably priced since many of us just shelled out some serious coin on a brand new HD. On a related note, will the rear triangle be available in the current HD colors (love my matte black/grey)?

JR

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I can't tell you how psyched I am Ibis announced the HD-R 650B and made it 130mm travel. I live in Michigan and really don't need anything over 100mm of travel but it is impossible to find a 650B bike with 100mm of travel. So 130mm will have to do. It is as close as I am going to get. I also want an Ibis bike bad. I love the lines on the bikes and all the reviews I have read have been stellar. I would not have even considered a 650B bike with 150mm of travel so when I opened up the Ibis homepage and saw the new 650B was 130mm of travel I was estatic. Going to order one as soon as they become available to competitive cyclist. Unfortunately we don't have any Ibis dealers in Michigan.

Thanks,

Chuck

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm amazed at how many people see this as a fail. What exactly do you want? The HD itself is an incredible bike and I can't really think of any other model out there that surpasses it (meaning overall better, not roughly the same but different characteristics like Nomad, Slayer, Firebird, Chilcotin, etc. etc.). All Ibis did was to improve a few of the minor issues--ISCG, frame construction, etc--and add capacity for 650b wheels. That's an awesome job in my book--recoginzing that you don't need a brand new item, just a steady improvement on an already top notch product!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It sounds like the HDR frame is going to be very versatile and can be built up several ways for 650b.
    I hope Ibis or someone can come up with a list of variations and head angles/BB height on all the variations.
    I assume 130mm, 140mm and 150mm is going to be possible on the rear with 130mm, 140mm, 150mm and 160mm up front..?

meow meow
    i feel like many people are hating on this bike because it has the wrong name. ibis essentially just released a 130mm 650 bike and a 160/ 140mm 650 bike once the new triangle is ready to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I agree with this 100%. Kudos to Ibis for offering a bike that I really wanted. For the people who wanted more travel can't help you on that. Just so glad the bike was offered in 130mm of travel. Can't wait to order my Coral Blue HD-R 650B with the XT kit.

Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    I'm amazed at how many people see this as a fail. What exactly do you want? The HD itself is an incredible bike and I can't really think of any other model out there that surpasses it (meaning overall better, not roughly the same but different characteristics like Nomad, Slayer, Firebird, Chilcotin, etc. etc.). All Ibis did was to improve a few of the minor issues--ISCG, frame construction, etc--and add capacity for 650b wheels. That's an awesome job in my book--recoginzing that you don't need a brand new item, just a steady improvement on an already top notch product!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    i feel like many people are hating on this bike because it has the wrong name. ibis essentially just released a 130mm 650 bike and a 160/ 140mm 650 bike once the new triangle is ready to go.
    Actually, my sense is that the really just released a an updated HD--like the SL-R was an updated SL--with the following:

(1) New rear triangle with increased capacity to allow 650b x 2.35 tires
    (2) Stronger lower linkage
    (3) Revised linkage placement, plus splined BB shell to allow ISCG adaptor
    (4) Revised frame construction to reduce weight and strength.

What that gives us now is the same HD that we know and love, updated, and with full capacity to run 650b as 150mm or 130mm.

mtbr member
    Not hatin just a bit disappointed. I was super stoked that it was coming out, I convinced myself it would be a totally new dedicated 160mm 650b HD. After all why would you do anything else with the HD? Especially when you have 2 140mm Mojo models to play with. Their bike lineup looks very redundant now.

With the silhouette teaser pic they had up on the website with a 180mm fork, I was sure that this would be the 160mm 650b some of us wanted so bad for so long. I prefer a balanced suspension, same amount of travel up front and back. 150mm back 160mm front is kind of neither here nor there. The bike is trying to kill 3 birds with one stone. Though if that stone happens to be a boomerang you might be able to do it! Makes sense from a manufacturing point of view in this economy, but then you see the price...

On a positive note I love the blue!

What are the chances of seeing a 150mm 650b model to rival the entry level Bronson Carbon R AM? Ideally with a RS Pike/Lyric up front and a Sram drive train, or maybe a Special blend 150mm 650b? Under 4k? In the next few weeks on shop floors? Am I asking too much?

Entry level bikes at 4K, what is the world coming too?

mtbr member
    130-150 650b
    160 26 inch.
    Some of you guys need to give credit to where credit is due. HD platform that gives you 2 wheel size options in different travel settings. Plus it's lighter, stronger and addresses all the other items that the regular HD didn't have. Plus they are going to make new rear triangles for the old HD so you don't have to buy the new frame. Who does this? I don't know another bike manufacturer who would give people these many options. The people that say "fail" clearly want to ***** about something-anything. Ibis clearly listens to its customers. For this they should be applauded.
    Last edited by mazspeed; 06-11-2013 at 06:33 PM.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Meh...I'd rather just plunk my money down on a Rocky Mountain Altitude if all Ibis is going to offer is a 150mm travel.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Ok,

One question if I may,

What is the biggest 650b tyre that fits comfortably in the rear? With clearance.

Hans or digital hippie may be able to answer that one. As this I believe is the biggest point on it.

How much extra clearance was given compared to the std HD

10mm?
    15mm?
    20mm?

Ride or Die!
    Quote Originally Posted by stu44 View Post
    Ok,

One question if I may,

What is the biggest 650b tyre that fits comfortably in the rear? With clearance.

Hans or digital hippie may be able to answer that one. As this I believe is the biggest point on it.

10mm?
    15mm?
    20mm?
    That's what I want to know. How much extra clearance and what is the biggest tire you can fit on a HDR 650B/150mm..

banned
    Feb 2012
    10mm would be fantastic. Heck, even 6-7mm would be great.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    LOL Skidad! Do not be crazy and build that bad baby already, I want to see it in action. I am with you btw., a 130mm HD is not happening. This is a super exciting year for 650b fans, is not it?
    Only if what you want is a heavy, long travel bike with slack angles.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Only if what you want is a heavy, long travel bike with slack angles.
    I do not think so. What about the SC Solo? Ventana Alpino? Or the 650b hardtails from Giant? Anyway, this *is* a good year for 650b, can you remember how hard it was to locate a single NeoMoto tire in stock just twelve months ago? The rim, tire and fork selection is at a very different level now and new frames pop up every couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thorkild View Post
    On the bike itself, seems that the best speculation is a 150/130 limbo chipped HD-R 650b with some of the frame design elements developed with the SLR.
    Sounds like you nailed it (almost).

Win! This sounds perfect to me. Now my only problem is which bike to get to complement my 26" 160mm AM/FR bike: Solo, Endorphin 650b Carbon (not available), or Mojo HDR 130b.

The versatility of this frame makes it a strong contender though. Nice to provide so many options.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stu44 View Post
    Ok,

One question if I may,

10mm?
    15mm?
    20mm?
    Yup, this is the biggest question I have. If the triangle can't fit a big HD or tall NN tire that's sort of a fail IMO for a completely retooled swingarm. We really need to know what tires they have fitted to it so far and I'm sure they must have tried a bunch.

I'm totally cool with 130,140,150 650B options and have no real desire for 160mm. Give me that high BB also for New England. Wish they had gotten cables off the top tube, added stealth dropper access for those who want it and for christ sakes why no 56mm lower on the head tube with zero stack. Looks so much better than an external cup and for a sexy bike like the Mojo it deserves it. Kudos also for the very slick ISCG mount and no press fit BB BS....and offering a retrofit swingarm for existing HD owners (if indeed clearance is substantially improved).

I like it...allot (just the tire question really) and the blue color for me is to die for. When are they gonna be available?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    130mm is perplexing. Why wouldn't you just make a rear triangle for SLR and have that as a 130mm 650b bike. Wouldn't you want your lightest frame for the trail/xc application?
    Why use heavier/burlier frame with that travel? I would think target weight for that travel would be 22-25lb not 28-30.
    Also wouldn't you go 29" for 130 travel? Rip9 RDO, SB95 carbon are both light and efficient in that category... Even Ripley with 140 fork would probably feel plusher and faster...
    Sorry, just was hoping Ibis would go the other direction with the new frame - purpose build 160-170mm all mountain bike designed around 650 wheels to compete with Firebird and Chilcotin...

mtbr member
    KRob----I'm in the same boat as you in regard to which bike. I have been looking at the Solo but wanted to see what Ibis was coming out with. Dilemma!!!
    You gotta Get Up to Get Down!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The Hans Dampf fits the swing arm and the cad model but is close to the seat tube at full bottom out and might buzz the seat tube in hard bottom out. We will make it clear even in the harsh bottom out situation with a slight change to the shock chips.

mtbr member
    I don't know about the 650b Hans dampf, but the 29er version was a total pig in the back. Nobby nick rolls so much better with 90% of the grab. Front tire HD is totally respectable

mtbr member
    A Hans Dampf does fit in the rear triangle of the HDR with clearance, but not much. Personally I have no interest in running a rear tire that large/aggressive - much rather a large volume aggressive front tire and a fast rolling smaller rear tire - but thought there'd be guys interested to know if the Hans Dampf did actually fit in the rear. I'm going to be checking out a few new tire options for the 650b in the coming weeks.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Sounds like you nailed it (almost).

Win! This sounds perfect to me. Now my only problem is which bike to get to complement my 26" 160mm AM/FR bike: Solo, Endorphin 650b Carbon (not available), or Mojo HDR 130b.

The versatility of this frame makes it a strong contender though. Nice to provide so many options.
    I think the HDR is supposed to be all 4 of those bikes... In one. Seems ambitious but definitely a cool option. Two wheel sets, another shock and you get lots of options with one frame.

Cool!

Bob

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice. Now if Spesh would just hurry up and make 650B tires - Butcher, Purg and Captain please

A Hans Dampf does fit in the rear triangle of the HDR with clearance, but not much. Personally I have no interest in running a rear tire that large/aggressive - much rather a large volume aggressive front tire and a fast rolling smaller rear tire - but thought there'd be guys interested to know if the Hans Dampf did actually fit in the rear. I'm going to be checking out a few new tire options for the 650b in the coming weeks.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member
    AMjunky, your name's appropriate, because clearly that's not Dave Chappelle in your picture and you REALLY ARE HIGH ON CRACK, Mang!
    Last edited by doismellbacon; 06-11-2013 at 07:49 AM.

www.derbyrims.com
    I like the blue one

Many major gains, no more compromises when converting. The HDR at least doubles the versatility to 5 or 6 bikes in one.

I'll continue to hope for an HDX 650b for an extra 1 inch travel with a bit under 14 inch BB that can still climb as easily, and 650b feels like another inch travel, but that's a different bike. And it's rare, such as shuttle and downhill park conditions, could I ever want more than these 5 or 6 inch travel versions of the HDR 650b can do.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Things are clear. If you want a 650b Enduro or AM bike you have to go for the Bronson. If want to build your 650b bike a little more for light trails you can go for the Solo or might choose the new Ibis HDR in the 130mm setting. But what you get is a heavyer frame and a not so great cable routing.
    In my eyes the HDR is a standard 160mm 26" bike which can be converted to 650b. Not mor not less.
    You can go for 130mm 650b if you like but why carry a burly frame with you when only using 130mm of travel? Makes not much sense.
    If you are setting up the HDR to 150mm 650b you will get a much higher BB and it will be the same and old HD geometry when converted to 650b.
    So 650b and the new HDR...? Too many compromises!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doismellbacon View Post
    AMjunky, your name's appropriate, because clearly that's not Chris Rock in your picture and you REALLY ARE HIGH ON CRACK, Mang!
    Actually your inability to weave together a series of cohesive thoughts points to the fact that you are indeed a fan of the crackling rock.

Perhaps a quotation of what I said that you take issue with is in order…

banned
    Feb 2012
    Thank you Pete. I apologize if I missed that in your texts, what tires did you run on during your HDR testing? TIA.

Registered Dietitian
    I do not think so. What about the SC Solo? Ventana Alpino? Or the 650b hardtails from Giant? Anyway, this *is* a good year for 650b, can you remember how hard it was to locate a single NeoMoto tire in stock just twelve months ago? The rim, tire and fork selection is at a very different level now and new frames pop up every couple of weeks.
    Going to have to side with zrm on this one. Those of us who want an XC race 650b are still stuck with conversions at this point (not a terrible thing, but disappointing).

The Solo, Alpino, etc. are very nice bikes that are not viable options for high-level XC racing. And they are overkill for many riders who just don't need or want > 4" of travel for general riding.

Give me a 650b Blur XC or similar (the coming Giant Anthem 650b looks awesome, too). In the meantime, I'll rock my converted Superlight until a good carbon alternative (650b-specific) becomes available, so I can drop another 1-2 lbs. from the bike

ETA: the new HD is a sweet bike! I have wished for a long time that Ibis would consider a true XC bike as well; with the DW suspension (especially an eccentric-based version) they could make an exceptional race bike. Maybe that's just not a lucrative enough segment, but I'd have to think that the first company to make a viable, modern short-travel 650b carbon frame would sell a lot of them.

mtbr member
    I think it's pretty funny people whining about 10mm of travel. I have a HD now, just wonder how much nicer this new frame is... hmmmm I been a fanboy on 6" bikes since they came out, is it time to move to 650b? first world problem.

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    HDR 650b:

MTB-News:
    Mojo HDR 650b
    130mm Travel with 200 x 51mm Shock / Alternativ 150mm with 216 x 58mm Shock
    67.1 Head-Angle with 140mm Fork
    Frame-Weight: 2550g without Shock

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't think it's clear yet. Million dollar question is whether you can run a 7.875x2.25 shock instead of the 7.875x2 with the new chips. If so you have the same travel as the Bronson (same shock), a 66.7 HA with a Pike @ 150, same BB Height, shorter WB and CS.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadl View Post
    Things are clear. If you want a 650b Enduro or AM bike you have to go for the Bronson. If want to build your 650b bike a little more for light trails you can go for the Solo or might choose the new Ibis HDR in the 130mm setting. But what you get is a heavyer frame and a not so great cable routing.
    In my eyes the HDR is a standard 160mm 26" bike which can be converted to 650b. Not mor not less.
    You can go for 130mm 650b if you like but why carry a burly frame with you when only using 130mm of travel? Makes not much sense.
    If you are setting up the HDR to 150mm 650b you will get a much higher BB and it will be the same and old HD geometry when converted to 650b.
    So 650b and the new HDR...? Too many compromises!
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Hard funkin´ Kraut
    Numbers like I´ve written above: The Travel has to get reduced 5 mm in the Shock-Stroke via new Shock or internal Spacer, plus new "Limbo-Chips" Shock-Mounts. This News was freshly posted by the german Ibis-Distributor ...

mtbr member

Ibis Mojo HDR 650B??

If the HD 140 and HDR 130 take the same shock does that mean that it's the limbo chips that lower the BB .5 inches and reduces the travel 10mm?

If this is true are the 130 HDR limbo chips compatible with the old HD to lower the BB??

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Travels unchanged. It's the same 7.875x2 shock and always been ~130mm in travel in HD140 mode. BB looks to be 0.22" (5.5mm) lower on the HDR with the new chips which is the part I really want to understand vs a HD140 and if it's the new chips, can we run them on our HDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    If the HD 140 and HDR 130 take the same shock does that mean that it's the limbo chips that lower the BB .5 inches and reduces the travel 10mm?

If this is true are the 130 HDR limbo chips compatible with the old HD to lower the BB??
    - Arthur C. Clarke

mtbr member

Ibis Mojo HDR 650B??

Glad someone else is thinking the same thing, would love the lower BB but don't need the added tire clearance.

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    For those that think a 160mm+ bike is not necessary, look at the popularity of bikes like the Santa Cruz Nomad and Specialized Enduro Evo.

The Intense Carbine battles with the Bronson, but these are VPP bikes.

Turner isn't carbon and the Mojo while being really really close, isn't a true 160mm bike, so none of the DW Link bikes are hitting the 160mm mark with adequate tire clearance in a carbon frame. It seems like there is a segment there that could be filled.

Meanwhile Norco is selling FSR bikes like hotcakes, and soon to be in carbon, while Specialized continues to say that the 650b is a failed movement.

In Summary: Ibis missed the Super-D opportunity with the HD-R, but it will do just fine in the 140mm bracket.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I guess it begs the question should a 160mm bike be an entity unto itself (Range Killer B, Rune, Chicoltin, Nomad, etc) or try to pull duty as a 130/140/150/160 bike like the HD or HDR in 2 wheel sizes no less and have some compromises? It's truly amazing 1 frame can do all that as competently as it does but I think I'd prefer to see 160mm as a totally separate bike next time around...thoughts

mtbr member
    Actually your inability to weave together a series of cohesive thoughts points to the fact that you are indeed a fan of the crackling rock.

Perhaps a quotation of what I said that you take issue with is in order…

OK. Here's a partial reading of the litany of narcissistic whining you've blessed us with in this thread alone...

Wow, initial impression, what a disappointment!!!! Hard to imagine a bigger build up and FAIL!
    Big Buildup???? Some sneak pics a week in advance hardly qualifies, and calling it a fail without a test ride, and based purely on printed specs not hitting your imaginary dream bike bullseye is ludicrous.

Was a 160mm 650b HD that hard to make? Norco had no problems doing it!
    Wha-What?? Wow, I didn't know I could already get an HD 650b made by Norco! Seriously though..... YES, it's MUCH harder, more expensive, time consuming, and risky to make a full monocoque bike than one made of welded aluminum.

Not hatin just a bit disappointed. I was super stoked that it was coming out, I convinced myself it would be a totally new dedicated 160mm 650b HD. After all why would you do anything else with the HD?
    CORRECTION: Yes, you are hating. "Why would Ibis do anything else"? Maybe because the HD is one of the best, most successful, and most versatile mtb's ever and they didn't want to screw up a winning formula

I prefer a balanced suspension, same amount of travel up front and back. 150mm back 160mm front is kind of neither here nor there.
    You're entitled to your preferences, of course, but suggesting that a bike needs equal travel front and rear to be right is pure nonsense. The examples are endless from XC racing all the way to DH. My Mojo is much better now than it was when it had the same 140mm at both ends.

Oh yeah and internal cable routing would have been nice.
    Uggghh

Frankly the amount of time Ibis takes to put out a bike is very disapointing to say the least, case and point the Ripley! People have been demanding a 650b HD for years now. That is the bike I want, the bike I will not hesitate to pull the trigger on. Yet having to wait all summer without a ride, well thats just cruel!
    Cry, Cry, Cry! Carbon development takes time and just 6 months ago the forks, wheels, and tires required for success just weren't available..... and then you've got to pull the Ripley into it? The reasons for the long time to market on that bike are well established,valid, and completely irrelevant here. Cry Cry Cry!

Meanwhile Santa Cruz has put out the Bronson and Solo in addition to their Tallboy LT! All of which seem to be readily available!
    Santa Cruz beat them to market... so what! How many orders of magnitude larger are they than Ibis?

Should I just go get the Bronson and put an end to this endless wait?
    Endless wait???? Whatever, but by all means, please do.

Why is the bike industry dragging its feet in a massive cluster f@$% of logistics?<k of="" logistics?<="" html=""></k>
    To keep the universe that is revolving around you from imploding under its own mass. You should be thankful.

Changing the HD to 130mm travel, is as good of an idea as a breast reduction for cosmetic reasons.
    I'm not even going to touch that one...clearly bigger is better in your world.

mtbr member
    You're entitled to your preferences, of course
    Indeed!

Just saying what other people are thinking but are too afraid to say it for getting flamed by clowns like you.

You take my valid points very personally, got a stake in the game?

Narcissistic whining? The point of this forum is to discuss what WE the customers who pay these outrageous prices want from a bike. If you’re a butthurt little girl that can’t deal with other peoples opinions, I suggest you stay away all together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Man what a classy response.

Indeed!

Just saying what other people are thinking but are too afraid to say it for getting flamed by clowns like you.

You take my valid points very personally, got a stake in the game?

Narcissistic whining? The point of this forum is to discuss what WE the customers who pay these outrageous prices want from a bike. If you’re a butthurt little girl that can’t deal with other peoples opinions, I suggest you stay away all together.

mtbr member
    OK. Here's a partial reading of the litany of narcissistic whining you've blessed us with in this thread alone...

Big Buildup???? Some sneak pics a week in advance hardly qualifies, and calling it a fail without a test ride, and based purely on printed specs not hitting your imaginary dream bike bullseye is ludicrous.

Wha-What?? Wow, I didn't know I could already get an HD 650b made by Norco! Seriously though..... YES, it's MUCH harder, more expensive, time consuming, and risky to make a full monocoque bike than one made of welded aluminum.

CORRECTION: Yes, you are hating. "Why would Ibis do anything else"? Maybe because the HD is one of the best, most successful, and most versatile mtb's ever and they didn't want to screw up a winning formula

You're entitled to your preferences, of course, but suggesting that a bike needs equal travel front and rear to be right is pure nonsense. The examples are endless from XC racing all the way to DH. My Mojo is much better now than it was when it had the same 140mm at both ends.

Uggghh

Cry, Cry, Cry! Carbon development takes time and just 6 months ago the forks, wheels, and tires required for success just weren't available..... and then you've got to pull the Ripley into it? The reasons for the long time to market on that bike are well established,valid, and completely irrelevant here. Cry Cry Cry!

Santa Cruz beat them to market... so what! How many orders of magnitude larger are they than Ibis?

Endless wait???? Whatever, but by all means, please do.

To keep the universe that is revolving around you from imploding under its own mass. You should be thankful.

I'm not even going to touch that one...clearly bigger is better in your world.
    Best responses ever.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    I guess it begs the question should a 160mm bike be an entity unto itself (Range Killer B, Rune, Chicoltin, Nomad, etc) or try to pull duty as a 130/140/150/160 bike like the HD or HDR in 2 wheel sizes no less and have some compromises? It's truly amazing 1 frame can do all that as competently as it does but I think I'd prefer to see 160mm as a totally separate bike next time around...thoughts
    it is amazing what they are proposing in 1 frame. But we have to see how the bike fares in each configuration. Some may be better than others.

I think a KNOLLY Chilcotin with 170mm forks and a CCDB Coil + a IBIS Mojo HDR 650b with 140 forks is a dynamite combination that would take on everything you could want to do off-road bar the fastest runs in a DH race.

The Chilcotin wouldnt be as fast as the HDR on smoother Trail type riding, whilst the Chilcotin would make mincemeat out of the HDR on the downhill tracks. Both bikes climb beautifully.

I ride every type of terrain you could think of, but i could never do it on one bike (that type of bike doesnt exist). At minimum, i can do pretty much everything on 2 bikes.

I could add a 29er 100mm travel and a V10 to the stable, but these are at the extremes and i would only really need them if i started racing again.

Ive always been a believer that only 4 bikes are needed to cover everything: 100/120 -- 140 -- 160/170 -- 200.

The HDR would suit me as a second bike to compliment the Chilcotin, but i wouldnt be buying it for verstility, id buy it to set it as a 650b bike with 140 forks, and i doubt id use it in any other config (although its nice to have the option).

I think for those who can only afford one new bike, most of them might be better to buy two second hand.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    My only dilemma is whether I need a LG or XL frame... ???
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Can't wait to get one!
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post

Quote from Hanssc of Ibis copied from the Ibis Forum about travel, limbo chips, BB height etc.

Ok, funny fact first from that quote below (at least it was for me) the HD 140 is actually CLOSER to 130mm travel. All these years and no one measured? Wow! Wonder if the 160 is really 160

Here's some new info:
    The new frame has a different chip configuration - 130 with 7.875 x 2 shock and 160 with 8.5 x 2.5. The new chips do not work on the old frame nor do the old chips work on the new frame.
    By the way, in reality the old 140 was closer to 130, we never checked the actual vertical wheel travel until recently when we were working on the HDR mod. We had incorrectly assumed it would be the same as the SL and SLR, but not exactly due to changing the part of the wheel travel that we were using.

The new 130 provides a lower BB with any given fork.

If you want to do the tuning route and get more travel, the 160 26" set up is probably the best starting point using the 8.5 x 2.5 shock and reducing the travel until whatever tire you have does not rub the seat tube on bottom out. The range of tire diameters has recently gone completely crazy, some are huge / way larger than previously normal dimensions for the stated size. We've given a fair amount of clearance around the tire in the swing arm, but in order to keep shortish chain stays and a reasonable BB height, the tires get close to the seat tube and that's where you have to adapt the travel to the tire used. You maybe end up with 140 - 145 travel depending on the tire / seat tube clearance. The BB will be about 14.25 - or more depending on tires and fork used.

For instructions of moding the HD for 650B, check out Derby's excellent thread in the 650B forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Yes please ill take one in white. Until then I will keep riding the snot out of my Hd 160 27.5

Ps I called ibis Monday and was told no way and no plans on a Hd rear triangle retrofit.
    650b-elieve

Here's mine
    [url]http://forums.mtbr.com/ibis/murdered-ibis-mojo-hd3-980806.html[/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by deofour View Post

Ps I called ibis Monday and was told no way and no plans on a Hd rear triangle retrofit.
    Yes they are. Not anytime soon, but it is in the works.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    My only dilemma is whether I need a LG or XL frame... ???
    Let us know which way you go with this.

I'm in the same boat, at 6'-1" I'm on the upper end of the large range and lower end of the XL. I'm leaning towards a large at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Without diving into the discussion over whether one bike is cooler than the other, here's a quick helmet cam from a ride on my HDR 650b yesterday morning:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/68356395" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    It shreds. Feels like more than 130mm (that's what she said!)
    Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub82 View Post
    Without diving into the discussion over whether one bike is cooler than the other, here's a quick helmet cam from a ride on my HDR 650b yesterday morning:
    <iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/68356395" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
    Cheers

bike looks the business, and great video dub, what camera did you use for this?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cfrench View Post
    bike looks the business, and great video dub, what camera did you use for this?
    Thanks. GoPro Hero3 silver, 960x30fps. Pretty darn solid itself.

mtbr member
    Frame arrived at the bike shop today!!! They are building it tomorrow. Upgraded the wheels and changed the tires to a Nobby Nic's. Can't wait to saddle up and ride this thing!!!
    Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thats what I like to hear! A company announces a new bike, you put your order in and within 2 weeks of announcement its at the shop. Go Ibis!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ISharted View Post
    Thats what I like to hear! A company announces a new bike, you put your order in and within 2 weeks of announcement its at the shop. Go Ibis!!!
    I was really nervous that this was going to be another "Ripley situation." But thankfully the wheel Gods came through for us consumers!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dub82 View Post
    Cheers
    What an awesome trail. Where is that? Nice camera work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    What an awesome trail. Where is that? Nice camera work.
    Ditto. Forget the HDR, that trail looks like a blast. It is obviously way too much for a measly 130mm 650b bike to handle.

And how do you get your iphone to work with your gloves on? I always have to take mine off to get the touch screen to respond.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast