mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Ibis Mojo HD4 or Mojo 3 vs Pivot Mach 5.5

Hey guys - anyone out there with experience on an Ibis Mojo and/or a Pivot Mach 5.5?

Both have similar design specs. Both have similar geometry. The Ibis has a slacker head tube angle. The Pivot has a bit less rear travel. They both spec the same fork (XT build).

They are both designed around a dw link platform.

As far as climbing, handling, steering, downhill - how does each one differ from the other?

Ibis claims that the Mojo "Maintains the pedaling performance that Ibis bikes have always been known for..." but also has big-hit capability.

Is Ibis a better climber or is the Pivot better?

Is Ibis known to have a plusher ride?

What are each bikes strengths and weaknesses???
    Last edited by Rockohaulic; 07-03-2018 at 09:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller???

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockohaulic View Post
    Anyone? Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller???
    I would look at the Mach 6. It can take 2.6 tires too. It fits right between the 5.5 and HD4 for head angle. I own a Mach 6 and ride the 5.5 breefly. I would take the 6 over the 5.5 in all situations. It pedals as well and has more travel.

The 2.6 feel super draggy to me, ymmv.

mtbr member
    Yeah the Mach 6 is more of a direct comparison to the HD4, the 5.5 is more of a burly trail bike. If riding hard and fast all the time is your thing then go with the HD4 (or Mach6), if you want more of an all-rounder that can handle the occasional enduro then look at the 5.5.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I currently own a Turner RFX 4.0 but would love to see a head to head back to back test/review from say three different riders of the three. The RFX, new Pivot Mach 6 and the Ibis HD4.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Any Ibis owners want to chime in about their Mojo???

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I would like to know as well. These are two bikes that both pique my interest. They are supposedly both superior at climbs while extremely impressive in downhill as well.

There is a guy on youtube that review both bikes
    ibis hd4: https://youtu.be/ev2HdBwTIGE
    pivot mach 5.5: https://youtu.be/pv7cPX-Sic0

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for posting. I'll check that other post too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I havent ridden the pivots, but I own a mojo hd3 and have extensively demoed an HD4. I demo rode the HD4 back to back with a new ripley ls. I didn't feel like I lost much in pedaling efficiency between the two. HD4 climbs very well, but I did not get to test it on any techy climbs. That said, my HD3 does those very well. It really depends what you want from the bike to recommend one though. I really liked the HD4 a lot, but I chose not to buy it to replace my HD3 because I think my bike is a better all arounder. If I did more DH or Enduro type riding the HD4 would be a no brainer. It felt incredibly stable and confidence inspiring, but for the type of riding I do, it was just a bit too much of a bike. It was more difficult to loft the front wheel and "felt" heavier than my current bike (even though it probably weighs less). Incredible bike if you use it for its intended purpose. I would imagine that most of this would apply to the Mach6 as well.

mtbr member
    Hey guys - anyone out there with experience on an Ibis Mojo and/or a Pivot Mach 5.5?

Both have similar design specs. Both have similar geometry. The Ibis has a slacker head tube angle. The Pivot has a bit less rear travel. They both spec the same fork (XT build).

They are both designed around a dw link platform.

As far as climbing, handling, steering, downhill - how does each one differ from the other?

Ibis claims that the Mojo "Maintains the pedaling performance that Ibis bikes have always been known for..." but also has big-hit capability.

Is Ibis a better climber or is the Pivot better?

Is Ibis known to have a plusher ride?

What are each bikes strengths and weaknesses???
    ask this guy, he just reviewed the Pivot, and i think he owns the Mojo

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqj...Bd52lcQ/videos

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anybody want to chime in about their experience on an Ibis Mojo 3???

mtbr member
    I love my Mojo 3. I was looking for a spunky, agile, playful trail bike and that's exactly what it is. These mid travel 27.5 bikes are a good fit for riders that are good drivers (vs just plowing straight through). I did switch to a 150mm fork because enough of the trails I ride are steep enough or techy enough to warrant tweaking the bike a bit in that direction. For high speed rocky rough stuff, I'd look at a longer travel bike. For really long trail rides with maybe some marathon races thrown in, I'd probably get a 29" bike. For all the stuff in between (and that other stuff too), the M3 is a super fun ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How stiff is the rear of your Mojo 3?

If you hold the top of the rear tire in one hand, and the bike frame in the other, and move them back-and-forth, how much flex is there? Does it feel solid, or is there more give than you expected?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I had an extended demo of the mojo 3 as well. Super fun bike. It was a great all arounder. I wasn't planning on 27.5+ tires though, so on standard tires its bottom bracket would be just too low for the trails around here. Too many rocks on the climbs. Otherwise, I probably would have bought it. Got the HD3 instead. Very similar geo but longer suspension and thus a higher BB.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    What is the HD3? I don't see that listed on the Ibis web-sight.

mtbr member
    How stiff is the rear of your Mojo 3?

If you hold the top of the rear tire in one hand, and the bike frame in the other, and move them back-and-forth, how much flex is there? Does it feel solid, or is there more give than you expected?
    No issues. It's never crossed my mind that "oh, my frame is flexy". I certainly don't get any tell tale signs like rotor rub under power.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodon View Post
    I had an extended demo of the mojo 3 as well. Super fun bike. It was a great all arounder. I wasn't planning on 27.5+ tires though, so on standard tires its bottom bracket would be just too low for the trails around here. Too many rocks on the climbs. Otherwise, I probably would have bought it. Got the HD3 instead. Very similar geo but longer suspension and thus a higher BB.
    Part of what gives this bike its character is the low bb. I have never run + tires on it. Running 2.6s now. Those with a 150mm fork have addressed pedal strikes for me. People are increasingly running 170mm cranks (not just on M3s) to help with this as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    What is the HD3? I don't see that listed on the Ibis web-sight.
    It was the bike that the HD4 replaced. No longer available. You can find some on super closeout deals here and there though. I think Cambria Bike has some left.