mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Ibis Mojo HD4 Vs Pivot Firebird

I'm looking for feedback on those that have ridden both the new Pivot Firebird and a Mojo HD3, or an HD4 if anyone has one yet. I'm on the fence between the two bikes. The reason I'm asking for comparison with the HD3 is I know they didn't change the rear end on the new HD4, so it would be similar enough, I'd imagine. I'm a huge fan of DW link bikes and have had every Mojo/HD iteration Ibis has made and also a Mach 6. Firebird looks sweet and if it pedals well enough, I'd like to give it a try. I'll be demoing a Firebird next week but the HD4's are probably a ways out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Have you considered adding the Turner RFX to the list of choices?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I haven't ridden Turner's new bike. I've never been a fan of that shock geometry. Always seemed to blow through the travel too easy with that much leverage. I could love the new RFX, though I think it's the spending of the three.

Having spent the last 3 days riding a huge variety of trails on the Firebird, I'd guess I'll end up on the HD4. Ibis HD's have been the best choice for me for fun all-around bikes. Firebird is amazingly versatile and huckable, but definitely is focused on the steep stuff. Glad I scratched that itch, though.

mtbr member
    I think you should check out the Knolly Warden Carbon. Game changer

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ive spent some time on the Firebird and HD4. Just sold my HD3 and ordered the HD4.
    Loved the Firebird and HD4. Both amazing bikes, but the HD4 suited my one bike needs better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CHROMAG19 View Post
    I think you should check out the Knolly Warden Carbon. Game changer
    Someone mention Game Changer?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d1hfnd4VCs
    You can't buy happiness. But you can buy a bike. And that's pretty close.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Chromag,If I can find an easy demo, I might do so. I always miss the DW Link, however.
    Last edited by Trail7Surfer; 07-07-2017 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Typos

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Having now ridden the he'll out of the Firebird, Daley, I think I'll end up agreeing with you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Daleyridin View Post
    Ive spent some time on the Firebird and HD4. Just sold my HD3 and ordered the HD4.
    Loved the Firebird and HD4. Both amazing bikes, but the HD4 suited my one bike needs better.
    I just demoed the Firebird yesterday. Blown away! It pedaled way better than I had guessed. I was really hoping the HD4 was going to be available for a back to back test but they haven't made it to the east coast demo van yet.

Any chance you could elaborate a little? Ibis pedal better? Does it still plow and take bigger hits as well as the FB?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'm 5'10", 150lb with long legs and shorter torso. ~450 reach seems to be ideal so I'm almost always right between a medium and large.

I did two days on the Firebird(medium) with Pro XT/XTR build in mid-June. Day 1 shuttling flow trail at Alsea falls and day 2 at blackrock with one run down the green and blue lines and then some time at the basic training area doing some pretty big hucks(6-8ft drop and 12-15' long tabletop).

In mid July I went to MBO in Oakridge where I demoed the HD4 (large) with x01 build and carbon wheels. Rode Lawler, Hardesty, and Dead Mountain. The HD4 felt magical, big bike cushion without feeling slow on the climbs despite the 2.6 tires.

They both pedaled well but the HD4 pedaled better. It also felt a bit lighter. Both were very stiff with no creaks or rattles and felt super confident in everything I tried

The Firebird is a bigger bike and I'd certainly have more confidence doing big hits on it, but while I will be doing freeride/park occasionally I also want something I can pedal around XC trails and not feel like a dufus. Because of this I'm gonna go with the HD4 unless I can find a screaming deal on a firebird.

The only complaint I had about the Firebird was that it had noticable pedal kick. I found myself losing my footing(platform pedals) on it during big hits or g-outs much more than any other bike I've ridden.

If I could afford a firebird for freeride/park/shuttling/rough stuff and a more XC 29er for everything else I might go that route, but for now I need a one quiver bike.

HD4:

Pro:
    Pedals great
    Great Geometry for me, Large felt really nice
    I prefer the GX Eagle build rather than XT, will probably need better brakes than the deore it's specced with.
    7 year warranty

Con:
    Likely not as beefy as the Firebird but I'm relatively light(150lb) so hopefully it will handle some decent hucks

Firebird:

Pro:
    Nice geometry, Medium was good for me.
    Pick whatever line you want, it will crush it
    Soak huge(for me anyway) hucks without bottoming
    Super durable I hear and great customer service

Con:
    Pedals well but not as well
    3 year warranty
    The XT build is nice, but HD4 seems like more value

Really close.. I am still waffling a little but need to pick something ASAP for an upcoming whistler trip!