mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Ibis HD4 vs Nomad V4

These two bikes have almost identical geometry, size large is millimeters apart in any given measurement. 17mm travel difference between the two. I would love to hear from people who have ridden both, or why you think one is superior to the other. Let's say they would be ridden/purchased for the same purpose, from local xc trails to all day epic rides, to shuttles and lift access.

V-Shaped Rut
    I haven't ridden both, but I have ridden the HD4 as I bought one recently. As a do it all bike I think it's gonna be better than people will expect.

XC: It climbs better than a bike that big has any right to. I was 2 minutes slower to the top of a 1000 ft climb on it than on my carbon hardtail. Not gonna win any XC races, but who cares? It'll get you to the top WITHOUT fatiguing you assuming you've got Eagle of some flavor on there.

All day epics: I'll let you know after tomorrow, I'm taking mine on what I think will be a 6-7 hour ride.

Shuttles and lift: Haven't done either, but I have taken it on a selection of single black trails here including a nice jump line, a cratered flow trail, steep/rooty/rocky DH and some faster line with decent drops. It's super stable and planted at speed, but still plenty capable of having some fun on jump lines. Set PRs on many DH trails even though I haven't fully dialed the rear in.

FWIW I'm also a fan of SC (5010 was my last bike) and I have a feeling that the Nomad will be pretty similar in terms of capability and overall usability. I wasn't able to ride either, I picked the HD because DW-link is known for climbing well and we don't have a ton of shuttle or lift DH that close to me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by big_slacker View Post
    I haven't ridden both, but I have ridden the HD4 as I bought one recently. As a do it all bike I think it's gonna be better than people will expect.

XC: It climbs better than a bike that big has any right to. I was 2 minutes slower to the top of a 1000 ft climb on it than on my carbon hardtail. Not gonna win any XC races, but who cares? It'll get you to the top WITHOUT fatiguing you assuming you've got Eagle of some flavor on there.

All day epics: I'll let you know after tomorrow, I'm taking mine on what I think will be a 6-7 hour ride.

Shuttles and lift: Haven't done either, but I have taken it on a selection of single black trails here including a nice jump line, a cratered flow trail, steep/rooty/rocky DH and some faster line with decent drops. It's super stable and planted at speed, but still plenty capable of having some fun on jump lines. Set PRs on many DH trails even though I haven't fully dialed the rear in.

FWIW I'm also a fan of SC (5010 was my last bike) and I have a feeling that the Nomad will be pretty similar in terms of capability and overall usability. I wasn't able to ride either, I picked the HD because DW-link is known for climbing well and we don't have a ton of shuttle or lift DH that close to me.
    Thanks for the reply! I went with the HD4 and I should have it within the next week or so! Stoked! What did you think after your big ride?

V-Shaped Rut
    Quote Originally Posted by RippinAndTearin View Post
    Thanks for the reply! I went with the HD4 and I should have it within the next week or so! Stoked! What did you think after your big ride?
    Thanks for the reminder, I forgot to come back to this due to post ride beer + birthday weekend partying.

Wow, I was so impressed with the bike after that ride. It pedals just fine for long rides. I went up 2500, down 1000 feet of gnar, back up 1000 of switchbacks then back down 2500 of flow, jump line and blown out flow trail (might as well have been DH with all the craters, haha!) Then part 2 was up 1600, then mostly down several different black trails with a little climbing thrown in.

5700 vertical over 30 miles. Just under 6 hours and it was awesome! The best thing about it is that with the Eagle drivetrain it climbs just as well as my 125mm bike did but with the longer travel I get beat up much less on the DH portions leaving me fresher.

I like it enough for general use riding that I'm converting my hardtail back over to SS because I'll be using the HD4 for everything else, even longer XC rides.