Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    www.derbyrims.com

Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140

Ibis recently certified 650b for the Mojo HD140

See page 2...
    Fox, RockShox, DT-Swiss, Schwalbe and Others Develop 650b gear | The Straight Dirt | MountainBike.com

And there's more about Fox, Rockshox, and DT Swiss 650b specific fork rumors

I just hope Rockshox will make a Lyrik u-turn coil for 650b.. oh wait it does fit already!

It's about time!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-hd-side.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Mojo SL is not "certified", but damn does it work! I just hope the RockShox Revelation
    650b fork will have a 1/8 steerer option or I might have to buy an HD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-imag0345.jpg  

mtbr member
    I love it. Like there's an actual certification... It's just 'approved' which still doesn't mean a helluva lot, eh?

It's weird to be waiting for this 650b wave to crash.

mk

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    I love the comment at the bottom.
    "Somewhere, David Copperfield of the mtbr boards, just sh--t his pants"

#AINTNOBODYGOTTIMEFERDAT
    2012 Xfusion forks are all 650b compatible
    YouTube | #1 Rule for California mtb: If you're having fun, it's illegal.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    lml427; Is that a 2.3 or 2.1 Neo on the back of your SL?

mtbr member
    What a great read about 650B. I can't wait for this to hit become popular. I own a 29" hardtail and 26" 6" travel bike. I always think how great it would be to split the difference.

Erik

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ...and where's the 28er movement?

HEY PACENTI. lol

just some guy
    Quote Originally Posted by socalscott View Post

HEY PACENTI. lol
    No dude, it's 28.2 all the way!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_XCE View Post
    lml427; Is that a 2.3 or 2.1 Neo on the back of your SL?
    This picture is 2.1 rear with 2.2 Wolverine front. I now have a 2.3 Neo on the front. This is my second Mojo SL frame setup 650b and it seems to have slightly more clearance at the rear.
    Last edited by lml427; 01-28-2012 at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Thanks lml. Just mounted a 2.3 Neo in there and it fit. Ride today had me scraping out leaves and mud a few times but it was a new trail cut in and we had 2" of rain yesterday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by talabardio View Post
    No dude, it's 28.2 all the way!
    I see what you did here.
    So now your going all DC on me?

just some guy
    I see what you did here.
    So now your going all DC on me?
    Ha HA! Yes, someone has to carry on the man's good work. There remain hairs to be split here!

bonked

HEY PACENTI. lol
    It's already been done, it's what preceded the 29er movement.

Guitar Ted Productions: Friday News And Views

Wes Williams, who had formerly been a welder at Ibis Cycles, had been quietly making his "28"ers" in Crested Butte, Colorado using the largest ISO622/700c tires he could get his hands on at the time. These bikes were made under the Willits Brand name. (Mostly Continental Goliaths) These tires were not really mountain bike tires, being somewhat skinny, (45mm or so in width), and not having an ideal tread pattern for mountain biking. Wes noted that the outer diameter was nominally 28 inches, thus the "28"er" designation.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well then, as the 650b came back from the 1920's(?), so be it for the 28er.
    Imagine, a 28er would have preempted 29 or 650b...and DC would have been out in the cold.

Quote Originally Posted by IF52 View Post
    It's already been done, it's what preceded the 29er movement.

Guitar Ted Productions: Friday News And Views

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have a 2010 Mojo sL frame, will the 650B fit without shimming the rear shock, or is that still necessary?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I converted two Mojo SL's to 650b f/r. Both needed shimming. ALWAYS check the clearance with your wheel, rim, tire combination!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yes, the Mojo SL is not a problem, but rear tires are tight and you'll need at least 3mm of shim. Here's a Neo 2.1 on a crest rim - chain stay fit is tight but ok for all but clayey mud and this frame needed 4mm shock shim.

That said, getting a HD140!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbarn View Post
    Yes, the Mojo SL is not a problem, but rear tires are tight and you'll need at least 3mm of shim. Here's a Neo 2.1 on a crest rim - chain stay fit is tight but ok for all but clayey mud and this frame needed 4mm shock shim.

That said, getting a HD140!
    Hey, you really do have a "red barn" huh?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    oh hell yes, straight up redbarn. that's the garage (mahal) door...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by redbarn View Post
    oh hell yes, straight up redbarn. that's the garage (mahal) door...
    Here's mine in its latest form, after my sloppy five mile single track commute to work.... maybe I'll change my handle to "QuonsetHut"!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-mojo-sl-650b-002-800x600.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Woah. Nev 2.35" on Flow, in a Revelation?

Jealous of the footprint...and front squish. I have some Idaho backcountry rides that would fit this bill...

mtbr member
    Oooh, I love those Idaho back country rides.... only been once to visit a friend in Ketchum...need to go back. We did a work / riding / fly fishing trip up through NM, CO, ID, MT.... Idaho blew everybody's doors off.

Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take before somebody noticed...not long apparantly...haha

I bought that fork a long time ago and was disappointed that it didn't fit a decent sized tire, so I've been riding my '09 Rev w/ better clearance and procrastinating about selling this one.... finally decided, F&@K IT and filed the arch out...and you know, it really didn't take much filing at all..much less than I anticipated, BUT I'M NOT ADVOCATING DOING THIS AT HOME KIDS.
    Anyway, rides great... the bb's a bit on the high side (which works fine in my neighborhood) at 354mm (13.9") and the black box damper or Push dual circuit like I have in my old Rev would be my preference to better match the plush and adjustable rear end...but it's splitting hairs... haven't really gotten fully dialed on the Monarch RT-AM yet, but initial reports are all good!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for that, may well give it a go soon. Saw this post http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-69er-new...ce-623853.html, which will help

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Convert

I've been watching this Mojo 650 B thread for quite a while and finally bought a HD 140. I have wheels being built right now and am looking forward to joining the ranks. It Should
    make a great all mountain rig. Thanks for all the great input !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    I've been watching this Mojo 650 B thread for quite a while and finally bought a HD 140. I have wheels being built right now and am looking forward to joining the ranks. It Should
    Post up pics when you have them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by railntrail View Post
    ....jealous....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I have carried out some tests using fairly precise gauges on the 2012 HD and I can't see how you can fit a 2.3" x 650b wheelset, its very tight? A 2.1" only just fits. The gauge has a wheel radius of 352 and a width equivalent to a 2.3" tyre which corresponds to a Pacenti Moto tyre. Are you guys able to fit a 2.3 Pacenti and how much clearance do you get on the chain stay?

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I have carried out some tests using fairly precise gauges on the 2012 HD and I can't see how you can fit a 2.3" x 650b wheelset, its very tight? A 2.1" only just fits. The gauge has a wheel radius of 352 and a width equivalent to a 2.3" tyre which corresponds to a Pacenti Moto tyre. Are you guys able to fit a 2.3 Pacenti and how much clearance do you get on the chain stay?
    Pictures show the clearance in this link posted before Ibis had sanctioned 650b use in the HD140 ... A new tire also has no clearance problems in an HD140. It is no closer stay clearance than some bikes of other wheels sizes, particularly many of the 26 inch VPP bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/650b-moj...ty-731083.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by derby View Post
    Pictures show the clearance in this link posted before Ibis had sanctioned 650b use in the HD140 ... A new tire also has no clearance problems in an HD140. It is no closer stay clearance than some bikes of other wheels sizes, particularly many of the 26 inch VPP bikes.

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/650b-moj...ty-731083.html
    derby, thanks for the verification.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

650b 160mm

Got my 160mm HD converted over to 650b today! I can't wait to get out and ride it tomorrow. In doing some preliminary riding around, the bike definitely feels tall, but rolls over things so easily (and up stairs!) I don't know how crazy I am about the Nev up front, that may get swapped over to another neo moto, but time will tell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-076.jpg  

Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-080.jpg  

Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-083.jpg  

Ibis has certified 650b for the Mojo HD140-084.jpg  

www.derbyrims.com
    Quote Originally Posted by banebane View Post
    Got my 160mm HD converted over to 650b today! I can't wait to get out and ride it tomorrow. In doing some preliminary riding around, the bike definitely feels tall, but rolls over things so easily (and up stairs!) I don't know how crazy I am about the Nev up front, that may get swapped over to another neo moto, but time will tell.
    The HD set up as 160 requires bottom travel limit shock shimming. The late model HD160, delivered new August 2011 and later, has additional seat tube to tire clearance, and with a 650b Neo-moto 2.3 requires a 2mm shim. The earlier HD160 has 4mm less tire clearance and needs about 4mm shim (not sure exactly, I have the late model).

The HD140, all years, clears a Neo-moto 2.3 easily without shock shimming.

Put a few layers of tape on the seat tube until you shim the HD160 shock to avoid scuffing the seat tube finish.

Here's a how-to post on shimming shocks for bottom travel. It's very easy to do without removing the shock from the bike.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/650b/650b-sho...ce-623853.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I actually already shimmed it last week! Thanks for the heads up though!

www.derbyrims.com

double thumbsup

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Whats the Bottom Bracket height looking like with the 650s? What travel do you have the fork set up as?
    I am tempted to try this set up out on my HD. I might wait for more tire options to come out though. I just love my Minions too much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    My bb is up to 13.75 in or about 35 cm if that floats your boat better. I definitely left my float at 160, I'm not about to give up any of my travel just for bigger wheels! Tire choice is a limiting factor for sure, but the neo moto is truly fantastic, if small. The mega moto comes out later this year though!

NedwannaB

Curious on your tire comment

My bb is up to 13.75 in or about 35 cm if that floats your boat better. I definitely left my float at 160, I'm not about to give up any of my travel just for bigger wheels! Tire choice is a limiting factor for sure, but the neo moto is truly fantastic, if small. The mega moto comes out later this year though!
    What was it you weren't too sure about on the Nev? I take that it was the 2.35 you had up front?
    I got one last week as the distributor was out of the Neo 2.3 which is what I wanted. Oh well I'll give the Nevegal a try when I get a Flow front wheel built. Maybe the Neo's will be back in stock soon.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

Axe
    Custom User Title

I wonder.

Can one make a set of "limbo chips" for 2.25" stroke shock (same 7.825" eye-to eye as with HD140 limbo chips) to give it 150mm travel, and 650b clearance. Would go well with the upcoming 150mm 650b forks I guess.

I am shopping for a new "AM" frame, and while I am not the biggest fan of Ibis - I prefer "horst link" or single pivot style suspension, if I could get HD to run with my current set of parts in 26" 160mm mode, and later upgrade to 150mm 650b, that would be an idea worth considering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    What was it you weren't too sure about on the Nev? I take that it was the 2.35 you had up front?
    I got one last week as the distributor was out of the Neo 2.3 which is what I wanted. Oh well I'll give the Nevegal a try when I get a Flow front wheel built. Maybe the Neo's will be back in stock soon.
    The biggest thing I have with the Nev is that it has an insane amount of rolling resistance for a tire that small. (Yes, I just called 2.35 small - DHer I guess...) It is very loud on hardpack and the road which is kind of discouraging knowing that you are losing all that energy. The advantage is that it provides very good cornering traction and, while not exactly easy to seal, it wasn't hard to set up tubeless either...

EDIT: Yes, the Nev I have up front is the 2.35, I have a 2.3 neo-moto in back. I almost feel like the neo moto is slightly larger though. But IMO, a tire with as much resistance as the nev would not be good in back, so it stays in front for now

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Can one make a set of "limbo chips" for 2.25" stroke shock (same 7.825" eye-to eye as with HD140 limbo chips) to give it 150mm travel, and 650b clearance. Would go well with the upcoming 150mm 650b forks I guess.

I am shopping for a new "AM" frame, and while I am not the biggest fan of Ibis - I prefer "horst link" or single pivot style suspension, if I could get HD to run with my current set of parts in 26" 160mm mode, and later upgrade to 150mm 650b, that would be an idea worth considering.
    Apparently there's enough bottom out clearance in 140 mode that you can run a 2.25 stroke shock for the extra travel.... I asked the question a few months ago and Derby had already tried it. Search his posts, or maybe he'll chime in.

FWIW I love the Nev 2.35 in front for its very forgiving grip on slippery limestone.... and pretty much every other surface... and a Neo Moto in back for the longer wear and faster rolling and more mud clearance...and it hooks up great too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey guys - I'm totally intrigued by this 650b front thing, but I'm curious about your fork clearances. I'm running a Bos Deville 160 for regular days and a 66 RC3 for park days . . . do you just throw a 650b wheel in there and it clears the brake arch fine? No need to like, chew down your tire or gouge out the brake arch (bad idea) or anything like that???

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dacarbon View Post
    Hey guys - I'm totally intrigued by this 650b front thing, but I'm curious about your fork clearances. I'm running a Bos Deville 160 for regular days and a 66 RC3 for park days . . . do you just throw a 650b wheel in there and it clears the brake arch fine? No need to like, chew down your tire or gouge out the brake arch (bad idea) or anything like that???
    The Deville will not have any problems clearing 650b....no mods required.

www.derbyrims.com

I'm riding my HD140 with 2.25x7.825 shock (pictured in the original post). With my late model 2011 HD, having the added 4mm seat tube clearance, no shock shim is needed with Neo-moto 2.3 tires. The early HD frame without the added seat tube clearance might need a very thin shock shim to avoid rub at bottom out.

With either frame, early or late, the vertical travel is about 152 to 154mm travel with the added 12.5% shock shaft travel, since the wheel path is moving forward and up in deep travel.

Also I've measured my HD140 set up to be 1/4 inch lower BB (and a little slacker frame geometry) than the HD160 shock set up, with with the same fork a2c and wheels.

J:
    mbtr memebr

Could use an RC4

8.5 x 2.5 has slightly less stroke compared to the RP23 w/ same i2i, might be same w/ the 7.825

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    My bb is up to 13.75 in or about 35 cm if that floats your boat better.
    Is this sagged or unsagged?
    Ibis website says unsagged BB height with 26" Spez Purgatory tires is 13.8" [352mm] . Yet yours is similar with 650B tires. I would expect to see it about 360mm.They don't give a separate figure for 160 and 180mm fork so I presume it is for 160mm fork.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Could use an RC4

8.5 x 2.5 has slightly less stroke compared to the RP23 w/ same i2i, might be same w/ the 7.825
    I was trying to think some numbers musing over Nicolai Helius AM frame.

Idea would be not only limit the travel a bit - but also drop suspension by about 20mm or so statically - to compensate for the bigger wheel.

I was thinking - replacing 8.5 x 2.5 with 7.825 x 2.25 and moving the front shock mount back about 6 to 8 mm will drop the suspension by about 20mm (assuming ~2.5 leverage), and limit maximum seatstay travel by an extra 10mm. Then you get a 650b fork with slightly less travel - and you have a 650b bike with all the angles and BB height intact...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Anymore thoughts on your HD160 650B conversion? I am super tempted to order up some wheels to give it a whirl, especially since I have a spare rear hub floating around. My only concern is the increased bottom bracket, making the bike feel too tall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    That was unsagged, to the bottom of the bb, possible I measured wrong, will measure again tonight and get back to you guys

Quote Originally Posted by gvs_nz View Post
    Is this sagged or unsagged?
    Ibis website says unsagged BB height with 26" Spez Purgatory tires is 13.8" [352mm] . Yet yours is similar with 650B tires. I would expect to see it about 360mm.They don't give a separate figure for 160 and 180mm fork so I presume it is for 160mm fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Anymore thoughts on your HD160 650B conversion? I am super tempted to order up some wheels to give it a whirl, especially since I have a spare rear hub floating around. My only concern is the increased bottom bracket, making the bike feel too tall.
    The increased bb height is definitely a concern, but with 175mm cranks, I was getting a fair number of pedal strikes and those have definitely decreased. I am back at school now and it has been raining here in slo, hopefully it will be dry enough tomorrow. Additionally, the bike really only feel tall for the first couple of minutes. It was literally about 5 minutes of riding around on the street and it no longer felt foreign, don't remember any difference between 26 and 27.5 as far as height goes now... I will say that on the trail there might be a slight loss in lateral stability, i.e. if you are going very slow, it is easier to tip over because of the higher center of gravity, but for the most part, that is made up for by the increased surface area on the ground related to the larger diameter. I haven't ridden enough yet to say this is definitely better (or worse) but will continue to report back!

mtbr member
    That was unsagged, to the bottom of the bb, possible I measured wrong, will measure again tonight and get back to you guys
    Banebane... the standard method for measuring bb height is from the ground to the center line of the BB spindle, not to the bottom of the bb... that would explain the differences in reported bb height.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast