mtbr member
    Aug 2017

HELP! Need to decide between 2 bikes

I'm not a seasoned rider and don't really have a super extensive knowledge on mountain bikes. I love hardtails and 27.5 bikes. Haven't tried 27.5+ but I'm very open to the idea since it adds a little bit more cushion. I live in Charlotte NC and do a little bit of all riding but really prefer downhill and trail riding. I travel a lot though and plan on taking this next bike through a beating.

I currently have a Diamondback Hook but the components are all crap. Not worth putting hundreds of dollars into a bike I paid $400 for.. sooooo I'm looking to upgrade to an intermediate bike (not sure if that's a thing).

I'm not too familiar with the performance of different components (SRAM vs Shimano, Rockshox vs Fox, etc) and need help deciding between the following bikes:

2017 Diamondback Sync'r Pro
    https://www.diamondback.com/sync-r-pro-23192#

2017 Santa Cruz Chameleon
    https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-US/chameleon

I've seen the video made by Seth's bike hacks about the Sync'r and that helped a little, but I was wondering if anyone owned one of these bikes. If so, what are the pros/cons?

Price range is $2,000 or less. Preferably less since ya boy is a broke college kid...

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I donít know about the SC, but Iím super happy with my Syncír Pro. Iím also a newbie, and this bike rocks. For the price and specs you canít go wrong. I mostly use it for trail riding, nothing crazy DH. Does pretty good uphill and in technical areas.

Also worth noting that the components on the Diamondback are much better than the SC. Plus, the DB comes with a dropper post. But, the SC is a 29er or 27+. The DB is a little slacker geometry than the SC as well. But, you canít go wrong with a Santa Cruz, and Iím a bit biased in that I have the DB.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I just got the Chameleon and have four rides on it and like it more and more each ride. If you don't have the coin to do the R+ then I would opt for the DB, nicely spec'd for 2 grand.
    The D+ Chameleon for 1700 is not all that great if you don't want to upgrade stuff.

Others may disagree but that's my opinion, DB much nicer for the extra 300.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    If you buy the Syncír Pro off the DB site, use Take10 coupon code for 10% off. If you have a discount through work, you can get it for $1400 as a pro deal. That makes it worth the purchase for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would look at the $1500 giant fathom. You can get it at a local bike shop and demo it too. bike.https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/fathom-1. I would eliminate the Santa Cruz and look at the giant due to price and similarities in geometry. If you want to ride 25 miles of bumpy singletrack get the giant or Santa Cruz. If you want to find a four foot drop and ride off it all day get the syncr.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by aphoeniceus View Post
    If you buy the Syncír Pro off the DB site, use Take10 coupon code for 10% off. If you have a discount through work, you can get it for $1400 as a pro deal. That makes it worth the purchase for sure.
    You can also buy Diamondback at a discount by joining Expertcity for free. No Question buying Diamondback at a discount will get you a nicer build package, but the frame quality, R&D, resale value, is not in the same league as Santa Cruz. I own a Santa Cruz 5010 and have been considering buying a DB Mason Pro 27.5+ to mess around with and if I donít like it then swapping the parts over to a SC Chameleon frame.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    I don't agree with the comment on frame quality for DB. Their frames are built by the same company/facility as SC frames are made, and if you have seen these DB frames they are solid! I was impressed with the welds and how stout the frame was on mine. Honestly, I got the sync'r initially because it's "just a diamondback". I figured it would be great to learn on, and it is. It has taken my abuse and wrecks in stride. I absolutely love it. Great for jumps and bunny hopping too, just a lot of fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

HELP! Need to decide between 2 bikes

Mail order. Grab a Jeffsey before they are gone.

http://us.yt-industries.com/detail/i.../sCategory/511

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Dude. Grab that jeffsy. You will ultimately want FS

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    If you are a size medium at $2100 you can get a carbon full suspension Intense Carbine from their Outlet store. It comes with a precision toolkit, torque wrench, and shock pump.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    If you are a size medium at $2100 you can get a carbon full suspension Intense Carbine from their Outlet store. It comes with a precision toolkit, torque wrench, and shock pump.
    I am not an Intense fan and donít like their VPP implementations, but man that is an amazing deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I've ridden the Chameleon and I like it... but in the R build. I was going to say get the DB until I saw that Jeffsy. Seriously get the Jeffsy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I would get the 1500 giant fathom, I like hard tails. Then get shoes and clip less pedals and a couple pairs of riding shorts with good chamois.

Turns right to go left
    Quote Originally Posted by Coleman22 View Post
    Dude. Grab that jeffsy. You will ultimately want FS
    This^

I was a hardtail holdout for years riding while in the upstate SC and Charlotte areas. I finally had enough of the beating and went full suspension. Get the YT and call it a day.