mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Help me find an XC worthy 27.5+ bike!

First post here, though I've been reading for a while. And back in the day I posted a lot to rec.bicycles.tech...

[short version, I'll post a more detailed explanation below]

Anyway, I'm coming back to biking after a spell away, and I've convinced myself that what I want is a fast XC hardtail with 27.5+ wheels. But manufacturers seem to think that 27.5+ is for trail type bikes, slack geometry, upright position - I've rented a couple and hated them.

It seems like XC bikes are 29" these days, but the ones that are 27.5 compatible don't fit wide (say 3") tires. e.g. Pivot LES. And fat bikes that would handle the tires with no problem aren't really XC machines.

So are there some good options out there? Any help greatly appreciated!

------------

[long version]

I used to race a lot of XC in the 90s/early 2000s, and also did trials. That's my kind of riding, and my kind of technical - fast, with individual obstacles like big logs or ledges or tight switchbacks. I don't bomb downhills with stuff coming at me too fast to react to.

Eventually I switched to mountain unicycle (yeah I know) and quit biking. I did my XC riding on a 29" wheel, and it felt big and klutzy. Then I bought a 27.5+ wheel, and it was a revelation. On a unicycle you're directly connected to the wheel, and you can really feel every tiny change in inertia and rollover. The 3" 27.5 wheel was lighter, quicker reacting, better rollover thanks to the similar overall diameter plus more cushioning. It was just better, period.

So now I'm coming back to biking since the uni bothers my back, and my 20 year old 8 speed hardtail 26 is showing its age. 29" bikes feel too tall and klutzy to me, "trail" type 27.5's feel like driving a truck, and what I really want is that feeling I got from the 27.5+ unicycle. Traditionally uni moves a step up from bikes in terms of tire size, since all the weight is on one wheel instead of two, so maybe my 3" wheel could be downsized to 2.8", but that's about as low as I want to go.

But it seems like the manufacturers don't agree with me that 27.5+ would make a great XC bike?

Budget is pretty open-ended if I can find the right bike. The old hardtail was a titanium frame with XTR; I'm not quite so picky now that I'm older and slower, but I'm not limited to entry level bikes or anything.

oh Jolina!!!
    Post here for better results :

26+/27.5+/29+ Plus Bikes - Mtbr.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I used to post on rec.bicyles.tech too.

Have you looked at the Giant XTC 27.5+? Clint Gibbs had a whole series of videos on it on his youtube channel 5 to 3 months back: https://www.youtube.com/user/clintg37/videos

The 27.5+ bikes will typically also fit 29" wheels if you ever change your mind. The XTC+ will.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    https://youtu.be/2NbnNjejz28

More of a trial bike, but none the less Nino helped design it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Cannondale Beast of the East? Not sure if you fancy a lefty though, any Cannondale dealers near you?

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by xcandrew View Post
    I used to post on rec.bicyles.tech too.

Have you looked at the Giant XTC 27.5+?
    Great, I'll have to check that out, I missed it somehow. It obviously feels XC-worthy even if it came in a few percent slower vs. the 29er race rig... plus I should be able to find a dealer with one in stock to ride around a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugerfan777 View Post
    https://youtu.be/2NbnNjejz28

More of a trial bike, but none the less Nino helped design it.
    Probably that Scott is super fast if it's Nino-approved, I just watched the world championship race where he crushed everybody again...

But I know I want a hardtail, just because of the trials-y stuff I like to do. Sidehopping up on to a log, or stopping for a sec to pivot around on the back wheel and head off in a new direction. I just don't have as much fun on the FS bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by antimarty View Post
    Great, I'll have to check that out, I missed it somehow. It obviously feels XC-worthy even if it came in a few percent slower vs. the 29er race rig... plus I should be able to find a dealer with one in stock to ride around a little bit.

Probably that Scott is super fast if it's Nino-approved, I just watched the world championship race where he crushed everybody again...

But I know I want a hardtail, just because of the trials-y stuff I like to do. Sidehopping up on to a log, or stopping for a sec to pivot around on the back wheel and head off in a new direction. I just don't have as much fun on the FS bikes.
    you set the back shock to 5% sag or lock it out then you have a hard tail.