Thread: Help me decide.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Help me decide.

So Iím in the market for a new ride. I currently have a 2015 Giant Trance. Iím caught between the new 2019 Santa Cruz 5010, 2019 Bronson, the Evil Calling, and the Pivot trail 429 with 27.5+. Most of what I ride is flow trails and technical single track (lower Michigan). Iím curious as to how the Bronson would compare with the extra travel. And how the others would fair with a reduction in travel.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    I've been looking at the 5010 and owned a Trail 429 (the 2018, not the brand new version.) For midwest riding I think the 5010 would be perfect IMO if 27.5 is your thing. I ended up getting a Guerrilla Gravity Shred Dogg (150/135) as you can adjust travel (135-145), but also put a different shock in it to get it up to 160mm for enduro/bike parks/road trips. My friend decided on a 5010 (hasn't bought it yet but that's what she decided to get when she gets a chance.)
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the reply. Iím definitely leaning more towards the 5010.

mtbr member
    how does your Trance hold up to the terrain you ride? ive demoed the Bronson, things awesome. ive also ridden the 29er Chameleon and the 27.5 Hightower, all are really nice. want to demo the 5010 next.

i think id pass on the Evil. its a smaller company and has had reliability problems in the past.

ive never riden a Pivot but lots of people like Evil and Pivots bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    The trance eats the terrain. Itís a blast on the downhills and not too bad climbing. I run it with a 1x10 setup with a 36t chain ring so it definitely isnít the best climber but it gets the job done.

mtbr member
    clarifing, i demoed the 2018 Bronson, my bad. not sure youll find many around here that have ridden the 2019s

but if your Trance can handle your terrain, the Bronson might be a bit overkill.. all depends if you want too much of a bike or too little

fwiw, this guys ridden a lot of bikes but i dont think hes ridden the 2019s yet

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqj...Bd52lcQ/videos

mtbr member
    what you could do, see what MTByumyum says, then talk to SC about their new bikes and how they compare to the older SC bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by agarduno89 View Post
    The trance eats the terrain. Itís a blast on the downhills and not too bad climbing. I run it with a 1x10 setup with a 36t chain ring so it definitely isnít the best climber but it gets the job done.
    so what are you expecting from the new bike that the Trance doesn't do for you?

mtbr member
    I tried the Trance Advanced in 2016. I'm not sure how it compares with what you've got, but I was blown away at how nicely it rode. I'm not sure what these other bikes will do where you ride that the Trance can't do very nicely, but if it were me, I'd gravitate toward a bike that can optionally be run with 29" wheels (PIvot Trail 429 in either flavor).

I have a 2016 Yeti SB5c with 27.5x2.6 NoNis and just yesterday rode the Ibis Ripley LS - same tire in a 29x2.6 with Apex reinforcement. If the terrain consists of rollers, I'd go for the Ripley, but I live in the mountains of Northern Utah and there are 3000' grunt climbs. On that terrain, the Ripley timed out slower than my Yeti. In your terrain, a 29er might be about perfect, though.

mtbr member
    2016 Trance SX 16 owner. Before my purchase, I demoed the last gen 5010 and Bronson. Even though the Bronson only has 10mm more travel, it felt noticeably, a little less efficient while pedaling than the Trance. Fox 36 fork might be part of reason too. It will make smooth trails feel very dull though, so I would only gravitate towards the Bronson if you want to ride more chunky trails.

The 5010 on the other hand is more playful than my Trance. It lives to pop off things. But you will feel more of the trail so it will inspire less confidence when the trails get rockier and speeds pick up, compared to the Bronson. In the end, I got best deal on the Trance and it felt most middle ground.

Coming from the Trance, if I were looking at a new bike, I strongly consider the midtravel 29 bikes like SC Hightower or YT Jeffsy. I demoed the Jeffsy and it feels like it can do everything my Trance does but is faster and more efficient.

This site was really useful for comparing bikes too
    27.5‚ÄĚ Trail Bikes ‚ÄĒ A Guide + Comparisons | Blister Gear Review - Skis, Snowboards, Mountain Bikes, Climbing, Kayaking

mtbr member
    From YOUR list for YOUR area, 5010 all the way. I have a 5010 that's (3) years old and I still love it. I can only imagine that the new version is ever better with the changes in geometry.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    5010 is really good. If you think you need more front travel, you can always get a longer fork.