Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?

Saw this vid on vitalmtb.com and went to their website to check it out:

Trevor Trinkino Introduces the Guerrilla Gravity MEGATRAIL - Guerrilla Gravity - Mountain Biking Videos - Vital MTB

Looks kind of interesting. Vitalmtb even has a review of it:

Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail Frame - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Frames - Vital MTB

I haven't heard it discussed on here, so I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on it.

mtbr member
    If I remember correctly the smallest size has a 24=" top tube so I can't even consider buying one; looks interesting though.

banned
    Feb 2012

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks for the link StiHacka. I'll check it out.

I wonder if this single pivot is as good as they make it sound. They claim no bobbing while climbing.

I sent an email to Guerrilla Gravity asking a few questions, and suggesting they offer a different color. They sent me a link to their paint shop and said you could choose any color they offered. I thought that was pretty cool.

bike rider
    I think the bike and company are awesome. I've had many discussions at races with the designer and he's got possibly the best head in the industry concerning geometry and common sense design. Especially at their price point this bike is a top contender. If you're concerned about the "modern geo" with the long front shoot him an email and he'll get you stoked on it. Also, as was mentioned above they have great customer service and infinite component and color options so you can get exactly what you want for much less $$ than if you bought a frame and built it up yourself. Also, MADE IN THE USA!
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I wonder if the single pivot suspension can really be as bob free as they claim. If so it seems like a winner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Also wonder how much of the great suspension is related to the CCDBA, and how much to the suspension design. Is it as good with a fox or X-Fusion shock on it?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by richulr View Post
    I wonder if the single pivot suspension can really be as bob free as they claim. If so it seems like a winner.
    I'm Matt, the engineer at GG.

The marketing departments in the MTB industry have been trying to convince people for years that the pivot point of the suspension must move throughout the travel in order to pedal well, or that you need some sort of lockout on the shock. That's just simply not the case.
    WHERE the pivot point is located (despite whether it moves throughout the travel or not), combined with the leverage curve, frame stiffness, amount of travel and geometry are the biggest factors to making a bike climb well.
    In the VitalMTB review, they actually ended up not even using the Climb Switch on the DB Air CS when climbing in Trail Mode. Their preference was to leave the shock open in Trail Mode, and use the Climb Switch when climbing in Gravity Mode.

Long story short, the Megatrail is designed to climb well, despite the lack of acronyms or patents. Come on down to GG and ride one to see for yourself.

And, the geometry, if you go back through the Ridemonkey thread posted above, you can see the same questions come up about length. Lots of people have complained that the Megatrail is too long....until they rode one. And, then, I can't think of a single example where somebody has disagreed with the sizing after riding. Even people that are on the cusp between two sizes more often than not go with the larger choice. Again, come down to GG and hop on one to see for yourself.

Feel free to ask any more questions as well.

And, thanks Leland for the props!

mtbr member
    I've got a medium megatrail. Coming off a carbon enduro. I'm pretty stoked on the new bike. It pedals better without a doubt. I think most of that is in the design because when I ride in "trail mode" I hardly ever turn on the climb switch. Doing so makes the rear end almost too stiff for techy climbs. When climbing in gravity mode that's different, it's needed, but that's gravity mode.

Apples to apples I feel like the megatrail is a better all around bike than the enduro was and I've been stoked on it so far.

If it matters I went from a large enduro to medium megatrail.
    -=-=Quiver=-=-=-
    2011 Demo 8.II Highlighter Yellow
    2011 SX 4x
    2010 Enduro Pro Carbon
    2012 Hardrock 29er

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ive been on my 650b Megatrail for about a month...came of a Giant Reign X prior..

Bike really is incredible..pedals very well even with the shock open and I ride it exclusively in Gravity Mode..I do use the climb switch on long pedals to the top but my Giant wallowed more when hammering short punchy climbs mid descent..

I ride really rough, tractionless tech that I used to ride a downhill bike on and it is really night and day better than the Giant..it just eats up square edge hits so good and the amount of traction at the rear wheel is also improved drastically...

As far as the geometry goes I also pretty much wrote it off due to it seeming too long..After trying it at Sea Otter I couldn't believe how much better it felt than my Giant (23.2" TT)..I'm 5'10 and the medium is perfect..I'm running a 40mm stem and I could run a 50mm no problem..the riding position is wayyy more comfortable for climbing and it makes for a very centered feel on the bike on the way down..being able to move around without the seat up your ass and the stem in the way allows you to pump downsides and manual much easier....another word I would use to describe it is "balanced"...It is very predictable which makes for a very confidence inspiring ride...

I really cant stress how good this bike is....Its so burly that I know its going to last me for years but if it ever needs to be replaced it will be with another one...Also to top it off the guys at GG are awesome to work with..they will answer whatever you need to know...its pretty cool being able to talk to the guys that build and design your bike instead of some huge company..not to mention its also nice to have something different than everyone else

heres my bike...I also wrote a fairly in depth review on vitalmtb..think it is linked under the official vital review..for reference Im 5'10 190lb expert..been riding for almost 15years now and my trails are a mix of everything except loam but with an emphasis on gnar..

If anybody lives in Southern Ca and wants to try mine you are more than welcome..I live in Santa Barbara..just pm me

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Switched to a megatrail

Quote Originally Posted by jurichar View Post
    I've got a medium megatrail. Coming off a carbon enduro. I'm pretty stoked on the new bike. It pedals better without a doubt. I think most of that is in the design because when I ride in "trail mode" I hardly ever turn on the climb switch. Doing so makes the rear end almost too stiff for techy climbs. When climbing in gravity mode that's different, it's needed, but that's gravity mode.

Apples to apples I feel like the megatrail is a better all around bike than the enduro was and I've been stoked on it so far.

If it matters I went from a large enduro to medium megatrail.
    I switched from a med intense tracer to a med GG megatrail. The cockpit is a tad longer and I like it. As for climbing ability, it beats my old tracer hands down climb switch on or off. One of the best atteibutes of the GG is the righty of the rear end. I knew my tracer was flexy, but after switching to the GG I didn't realize how much. In trail mode the GG does not seam as "plush" as the tracer but on the trail it just works. In gravity mode it is plush and shreds like a DH bike. At the end of the day it's a super fun bike made in Denver co from a group of guys the love riding fun bikes. It climbes better then most descends like my DH bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Just to be clear I'm no affiliated with Guerrilla Gravity in any way aside from being a happy customer...

I know I've been singing it's praises on several websites and it deserves every word of it...I'm confident in saying I believe this is the best bike on the market hands down..When I decided to get a new bike I went all out pretty much building my dream bike..after researching everything on the market this thing was the winner in my mind..You really cant beat a well made single pivot..the small bump compliance/traction is on another level than the vpp bikes I've ridden including a similarly setup Intense Tracer 275c..

This new style of geo is the future..wait a few years and all the big companies will start to go this direction..if you ride fast and aggressive on gnarly terrain once you ride a sub 66deg head angle you can't go back...The other day I let this thing loose on this high speed singletrack section that spits you into a rockgarden..I couldnt believe how good it felt at speed...when I checked my data after the ride it was 43mph and it felt rock solid..my old bike was so sketchy on that trail...After my third ride on this thing I was faster on every trail

The big companies are already starting to go this way..they are just doing it slowly..look at the kona process and the new nomad...

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I've been racing dh professionally for the past 4 years with a variety of companies, and this bike can damn near beat every dh bike I've ever ridden but it can also climb like a champ. There's nothing on the market that comes close to it in my opinion especially for the price, the ability to change the bike from trail mode to gravity mode basically gives you two very different bikes in one. I guarantee if you go down to the shop and give one a test ride with a proper suspension setup you will agree 100% with me. This bike continues to blow me away every time I ride it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got my Megatrail two days before my first enduro race of the season and the bike was perfect! It took no time at all to adjust to and it blew my Specialized Enduro out of the water in terms of performance both up and down the mountain. Most of the time I don't even bother using the climb switch on the DB-Air. My Enduro had a longer travel fork (170 Lyrik DH) but the Megatrail felt much more bottomless and in control on drops and steep descents.

Also another really important point is that everyone at GG was great to work with when it came to choosing my build. This is something you don't get with the big companies and it can really make purchasing a bike much more pleasurable

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I've got a med 650b (I'm a hair under 6'1" and will run a 50mm stem and wide bars)on order and should see it in a couple of weeks. My frame is being welded this week in fact. I'm beyond stoked!
    Thus far I cannot say enough good things about the group of people that is GG. It's been nothing but good, quick service and the ability to completely customize your build is so cool (even down to nipple/spoke color on wheel build).
    I had been shopping aggressive 6" bikes for a while to replace a Pivot Mach5.7 with nothing really getting me that excited. Once I came across the Megatrail though I was hooked. Made in US, modern geo, grassroots company, competitive price point, versatile design with an emphasis on getting rowdy. Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. I happened to be going through denver back in may and made sure to stop in their shop. Everyone was super nice and helpful and genuinely stoked on what they were doing. What really got me though was that just by doing a parking lot test (albeit a "technical" parking lot test on the hills and ledges behind the shop) I was ready to throw down money then and there. The bikes really feel THAT GOOD. I've been riding since the late 90's and have had/ridden a lot of nice rigs, but hot damn! I've never been on anything that just instantly felt so comfortable and stable and ready to get rowdy, yet also very willing to make tracks uphill too. Again, this is all from 15 minutes of urban dicking around, and I'm comfortable making those claims.
    All in all I won't know for sure until I have mine in hand and dialed in with some trail time, but I've had absolutely ZERO hesitancy or doubt with my purchase thus far.

mtbr member

Curious about the megatrail

Quote Originally Posted by NAUBoone View Post
    I've got a med 650b (I'm a hair under 6'1" and will run a 50mm stem and wide bars)on order and should see it in a couple of weeks. My frame is being welded this week in fact. I'm beyond stoked!
    Thus far I cannot say enough good things about the group of people that is GG. It's been nothing but good, quick service and the ability to completely customize your build is so cool (even down to nipple/spoke color on wheel build).
    I had been shopping aggressive 6" bikes for a while to replace a Pivot Mach5.7 with nothing really getting me that excited. Once I came across the Megatrail though I was hooked. Made in US, modern geo, grassroots company, competitive price point, versatile design with an emphasis on getting rowdy. Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes. I happened to be going through denver back in may and made sure to stop in their shop. Everyone was super nice and helpful and genuinely stoked on what they were doing. What really got me though was that just by doing a parking lot test (albeit a "technical" parking lot test on the hills and ledges behind the shop) I was ready to throw down money then and there. The bikes really feel THAT GOOD. I've been riding since the late 90's and have had/ridden a lot of nice rigs, but hot damn! I've never been on anything that just instantly felt so comfortable and stable and ready to get rowdy, yet also very willing to make tracks uphill too. Again, this is all from 15 minutes of urban dicking around, and I'm comfortable making those claims.
    All in all I won't know for sure until I have mine in hand and dialed in with some trail time, but I've had absolutely ZERO hesitancy or doubt with my purchase thus far.
    Hi. I came across the MEGATRAIL in some obscure web page somewhere and decided to try to find out more about it from people who own them. First, how long have you been waiting for your bike from the time your ordered it...? [please accurate about this], And also, I see that you are over 6 foot, and yet you're buying a Medium..??? I myself usually ride medium bikes, I'm 5'8". Every time I've tried a 'small' frame size, I've always regretted it due to how twitchy it ended up being at speed. A few weeks back, I had a bike on order but got cold feet at the last minute...it was a custom Ibis Mojo HDR build up. I had narrowed it down to three bikes aside from the possibility of the 'Megatrail' : Ibis Mojo HDR, EVIL UPRISING, or YETI SB-66....all in 26" format. The EVIL kind of scares me a bit : 1. crappy tire clearance in back, 2. no proven track record yet in terms of longevity / maintanance. The fact that the Yeti seems to need frequent bearing overhauls doesn't bother me, I've wrenched on motorcycles / and mountain bikes for years myself. The Ibis is nice, if a little twitchy, the Yeti is very nice all around, the EVIL I have not ridden, but hear it is super nice to ride.

Of course, if the wait time is more than a month tops for delivery, I'd have to pass on it because the summer would be half over by then...and being in New England I only have so many nice days to ride before the shitty cold weather sets in for half the year again.

I like the fact that the bike is a no-gimmick, stout, simple, adjustable design. So I'm curious about some input on this bike before I decide to commit to another bike....

Thanx in advance for your input.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Howdy, I put in my deposit at the end of May and at that time I was told the end of June for delivery, and things are pretty much on schedule for that to happen. So, basically a month. Considering my frame had yet to be built at the time of my deposit and all parts needed to be ordered and assembly still to take place I'd consider a month to be pretty damn good. They build frames as they receive orders, and don't keep a big stock. So, again, I'm pretty pleased with the time frame considering everything that has had to happen in that time.

Their sizing is completely different. The medium has a 25" effective top tube. That's over half an inch longer than the ETT on my large Pivot mach5.7. Being 5'8" you'd ride a small megatrail. Their Large is for REALLY tall people. I feel somewhat cramped on my Pivot, and on a medium Megatrail with a 50mm stem I felt completely comfortable. Not too stretched out, not cramped. Juuuuust right.

I looked at all the bikes you are and more, and none of them really got me that excited. The Megatrail got me excited. Besides, most of the popular usual suspects in the category are either completely unavailable or have a wait time too. During my wait time my frame is being hand built in Denver and I'm giving business to a great group of folks who is trying to do something different.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input NAUBoone. So the Pivot Mach 5.7 didn't do it for you I guess...?

I agree with you fully in regards to supporting company's that keep the whole process within the USA. But given time...with enough 'success', it's certain that this company would do the exact same thing as everyone else. Thus, I wish them success, but not TOO MUCH success.

Regarding availability. Yes, a months not bad. But all of the bikes I listed formerly, including the EVIL are all available now. In fact, I can pick up a Yeti SB-66 right now for $1,500 including shock. And the EVIL comes with the new Fox X.

Wish I could ride one of these Megatrails. No luck on that because no one sells them.

I'll have to think about it for a bit. Might just go with the Yeti deal. But I'll give it more thought... The bike looks nice and I am in fact interested in it. Up until a few days ago I'd never heard of this company. And I've been online for MONTHS looking into just about everything out there, and never did I come across it until just recently...

Thanx again. Have fun man.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Skrool View Post
    Thanks for the input NAUBoone. So the Pivot Mach 5.7 didn't do it for you I guess...?

I agree with you fully in regards to supporting company's that keep the whole process within the USA. But given time...with enough 'success', it's certain that this company would do the exact same thing as everyone else. Thus, I wish them success, but not TOO MUCH success.

Regarding availability. Yes, a months not bad. But all of the bikes I listed formerly, including the EVIL are all available now. In fact, I can pick up a Yeti SB-66 right now for $1,500 including shock. And the EVIL comes with the new Fox X.

Wish I could ride one of these Megatrails. No luck on that because no one sells them.

I'll have to think about it for a bit. Might just go with the Yeti deal. But I'll give it more thought... The bike looks nice and I am in fact interested in it. Up until a few days ago I'd never heard of this company. And I've been online for MONTHS looking into just about everything out there, and never did I come across it until just recently...

Thanx again. Have fun man.
    Skrool, I work at GG. Send us an email, Bikes@RideGG.com. Depending on what size, etc you're looking for, the lead time might not be too bad. We've recently made some new fixtures that speed up the manufacturing process, and the lead times have been coming down.
    And, if you have any other questions about ride, sizing, setup, component build, feel free to ask.
    Where do you live? If there's any way we can set up a test ride, we'd like to have you try one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Skrool, I work at GG. Send us an email, Bikes@RideGG.com. Depending on what size, etc you're looking for, the lead time might not be too bad. We've recently made some new fixtures that speed up the manufacturing process, and the lead times have been coming down.
    And, if you have any other questions about ride, sizing, setup, component build, feel free to ask.
    Where do you live? If there's any way we can set up a test ride, we'd like to have you try one.
    Hey that's funny. I'm already exchanging emails with 'Will'. I'm waiting to hear back from him about a few questions I had. I like the geometry of the bike very much. I was automatically planning to build it up as a 26" bike, but now I'm questioning if this bike is a good candidate for 650B, or should I just stick with what seems to be just rite for me. I'm not a tall guy at 5'8", and the 26" wheels feel a bit more flickable to me, but then again the 650B seems to compensate by simply rolling up and over stuff a bit more fluidly.

The bike's geometry, simplicity, adjustability and burly no ******** design / fabrication is very appealing to me.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Hey that's funny. I'm already exchanging emails with 'Will'. I'm waiting to hear back from him about a few questions I had. I like the geometry of the bike very much. I was automatically planning to build it up as a 26" bike, but now I'm questioning if this bike is a good candidate for 650B, or should I just stick with what seems to be just rite for me. I'm not a tall guy at 5'8", and the 26" wheels feel a bit more flickable to me, but then again the 650B seems to compensate by simply rolling up and over stuff a bit more fluidly.

The bike's geometry, simplicity, adjustability and burly no ******** design / fabrication is very appealing to me.
    Excellent. The Bikes@RideGG emails go straight to Will, so you're talking to the correct guy.
    He's about your same size, and for his personal Megatrail, he went with Medium 26" and a shorter 35mm long stem. I'm a few inches taller and ride a medium 27.5" with a 50mm stem.
    We've done a lot of back to back riding with 26" and 27.5". They ride a bit different, we describe it as "two clicks of wheel size" difference. It is subtle, but its there. Like you say, the 26" can be thrown through tight corners a little quicker, but 27.5" rolls a little easier over rocks as well as prefers to roll through corners vs square them off.
    As a side note, 27.5" is more popular and tends to have a shorter lead time. That sounds like it may be a factor for you.

mtbr member
    Excellent. The Bikes@RideGG emails go straight to Will, so you're talking to the correct guy.
    He's about your same size, and for his personal Megatrail, he went with Medium 26" and a shorter 35mm long stem. I'm a few inches taller and ride a medium 27.5" with a 50mm stem.
    We've done a lot of back to back riding with 26" and 27.5". They ride a bit different, we describe it as "two clicks of wheel size" difference. It is subtle, but its there. Like you say, the 26" can be thrown through tight corners a little quicker, but 27.5" rolls a little easier over rocks as well as prefers to roll through corners vs square them off.
    As a side note, 27.5" is more popular and tends to have a shorter lead time. That sounds like it may be a factor for you.
    Sounds like I could go with a small OR a medium depending on how I were to set it up. Also, I put in a question to Will about 27.5 build. I've not yet owned a 27.5. The only 650B bike that 'felt' close to a 26" to 'me' was the Ibis. All other 27.5 feel distinctly different to me than the 26". Being 5'8" or under, it seems to me that the only negative to going to 650B would be that it makes the bike a bit less comfortable to 'jump' and pop around. I kind of pop around and jump a lot, and though I don't have enough time on a 650B bike build to see if I COULD adjust and end up liking it better...as of right now, I kind of already KNOW that 26" is very predictable feeling to me for my 20 year's worth of 26" experience. Not saying I think 650B is out of the picture, just nervous about having regrets should I do it an end up wishing I had gone with 26" build. I can't afford to make a error in judgement on this issue.

When you say 'they ride a bit different', can you be a bit more specific...??? For instance, from YOUR perspective, the bike @ 27.5 end up being a BETTER jumper once you get used to it...? Also, I don't mind that the 27.5 style of turning is less 'square' / more 'flowy', but I WOULD frown upon it if it took away my ability to 'pop' around. I tend to 'endo' and 'wheely' my way down tight technical stuff, and, almost as if I were on a BMX bike [which I used to ride well before my 20 years experience with MTB.]

At the risk of writing a novel here...I dare do push the point : What should I do ? Money comes hard to me, and I'm no richy rich. For instance, I myself will never buy a four-bar linkage bike ever again. For 'me' personally, they are harder to manual / wheelie, and pop around on. My old single pivot Heckler by far outperformed my Knolly on technical, sloppy climbs and decents only because for 'me' personally, I found it sucked the life / energy out of me if I tried to pop it around like my single pivots and hardtails. Do you get my drift brother...?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The Pivot is a great bike! I can't take that away from it, and I rode the piss out of it for 3 years. I'd recommend it to anyone that is looking for a lightweight, efficient, pedally semi-agressive trail bike. It can even punch above it's weight class pretty well as I often made it do. For an all-arounder when I lived in AZ it was great. I'm an aggressive rider, but the terrain there just couldn't justify a bigger bike. It would have been a hindrance in fact. I moved to southern Oregon back in the fall though and that thing is pretty under gunned for the kind of riding I do here. BIG descents, aggressive trails. Made some build spec changes to make it more "enduro", but ultimately doing so just took away from the bike and tried to make it something it's not. It was no longer a pleasure to ride. So, I began shopping for legit 6" AM bikes. After a lot of searching and looking I came across the Megatrail and it really ticked all the boxes for me. Then once I got the chance to see the thing in person, spend a little time on it and meet the guys behind the brand I was sold.

There are a lot of awesome bikes out there these days, especially in this category, but for me the Megatrail just really stood out as something kickass and different.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-1514588_691863510855532_7818790894933613644_n.jpg
    Sounds like I could go with a small OR a medium depending on how I were to set it up. Also, I put in a question to Will about 27.5 build. I've not yet owned a 27.5. The only 650B bike that 'felt' close to a 26" to 'me' was the Ibis. All other 27.5 feel distinctly different to me than the 26". Being 5'8" or under, it seems to me that the only negative to going to 650B would be that it makes the bike a bit less comfortable to 'jump' and pop around. I kind of pop around and jump a lot, and though I don't have enough time on a 650B bike build to see if I COULD adjust and end up liking it better...as of right now, I kind of already KNOW that 26" is very predictable feeling to me for my 20 year's worth of 26" experience. Not saying I think 650B is out of the picture, just nervous about having regrets should I do it an end up wishing I had gone with 26" build. I can't afford to make a error in judgement on this issue.

When you say 'they ride a bit different', can you be a bit more specific...??? For instance, from YOUR perspective, the bike @ 27.5 end up being a BETTER jumper once you get used to it...? Also, I don't mind that the 27.5 style of turning is less 'square' / more 'flowy', but I WOULD frown upon it if it took away my ability to 'pop' around. I tend to 'endo' and 'wheely' my way down tight technical stuff, and, almost as if I were on a BMX bike [which I used to ride well before my 20 years experience with MTB.]

At the risk of writing a novel here...I dare do push the point : What should I do ? Money comes hard to me, and I'm no richy rich. For instance, I myself will never buy a four-bar linkage bike ever again. For 'me' personally, they are harder to manual / wheelie, and pop around on. My old single pivot Heckler by far outperformed my Knolly on technical, sloppy climbs and decents only because for 'me' personally, I found it sucked the life / energy out of me if I tried to pop it around like my single pivots and hardtails. Do you get my drift brother...?
    Both wheel sizes jump and pop very easily. The front end comes up very fast on the 26", but the 27.5" is also easy to pop, manual, etc, albeit the front end comes up slightly slower. My preference is the 27.5" in that regard, as the 26" front end comes up so fast, I actually prefer the stability of the 27.5". The video in the original post of Trevor riding is on a medium 27.5", if you want to see it in action. I do wheelies and endos all the time as well (although not quite trials hops around corners), and I went 27.5". The physics is still such that it will always be easier to flick around a smaller wheel, but the rider feedback has been that the 27.5" is still lively and pops well.

As much as I hate to agree with the bike industry, I prefer 27.5" for my riding. And, that includes a lot of hopping, wheelies, etc. The 27.5" rolls and climbs slightly better, and that's pretty sweet. The industry has also basically switched to 27.5", so tire, rim selection, etc will be better as time goes on.

TL;DR: the 27.5" version is lively, pops well, manuals well. The pic is Trevor boosting at Sea Otter on it.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1514588_691863510855532_7818790894933613644_n.jpg 
Views:	1153 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	903662

Both wheel sizes jump and pop very easily. The front end comes up very fast on the 26", but the 27.5" is also easy to pop, manual, etc, albeit the front end comes up slightly slower. My preference is the 27.5" in that regard, as the 26" front end comes up so fast, I actually prefer the stability of the 27.5". The video in the original post of Trevor riding is on a medium 27.5", if you want to see it in action. I do wheelies and endos all the time as well (although not quite trials hops around corners), and I went 27.5". The physics is still such that it will always be easier to flick around a smaller wheel, but the rider feedback has been that the 27.5" is still lively and pops well.

As much as I hate to agree with the bike industry, I prefer 27.5" for my riding. And, that includes a lot of hopping, wheelies, etc. The 27.5" rolls and climbs slightly better, and that's pretty sweet. The industry has also basically switched to 27.5", so tire, rim selection, etc will be better as time goes on.

TL;DR: the 27.5" version is lively, pops well, manuals well. The pic is Trevor boosting at Sea Otter on it.
    Many thanx for the input. I'll have to give it some thought. I have yet to decide which direction to go with, EVIL, Ibis, Yeti, or the Megatrail. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I like small companies. I like stuff that's actually made in the USA [rare as it may be nowadays]. But most of all, I'm really attracted to the stout, simple, adjustable geometry and design approach.

Hmmm....

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    The Megatrail is definitely still on my short list.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ive found my 27.5 megatrail is a better jumper than my old 26" bikes...

I dont feel it is any harder to pop off things and it is so stable with the longer cockpit and wheelbase that it is very confidence inspiring to air into rock sections and whatnot.....the megatrail combined with the bigger wheels makes my last bike feel very sketchy and skidish when airing and manualing at speed....I would definitely recommend 27.5 if you arnt transferring your old parts over from a 26" bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had a nice chat with Theron last night from GG. I had a million questions regarding this bike and the company. I found out about this company solely from this thread, but upon further Googling, found some more incredible reviews and comments in regards to the Megatrail. In is indeed an interesting bike. I will definitely be following this thread, as well as the other threads on other forums.
    *2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom Build*
    *2017 Knolly Warden Custom Build*
    *2014 Knolly Endorphin Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Good to see the interest in this bike. I'm currently still deciding what to do. I've narrowed down now to two bikes : Evil Uprising, or Megatrail. They're the exact same price. The one issue I am having is this : You can only run a single chainring on the Megatrail. On the Evil, you can run 2. As much as I DO like the 'look' of a single ring up front, I myself very much doubt that I would be happy with a single ring setup. I do a LOT of all day epic loop rides....that unavoidably involve miles of flats, along with steep, technical climbing. So you really can't have both. You can set up for high gear, OR low. Obviously I'd have to set up for low gear ability. But this wouldn't be good for me. So, due to this single issue, I'll likely end up going with the Evil....which is a super fun bike to ride, carbon, low center of gravity, and dual ring compatible.

This single issue is somewhat of a deal breaker for me. Other people are inclined to tell me I'd 'adjust'. But it's not a question of 'adjusting'. It a question of sacrificing my high end, OR low end. There is no way in hell that a single ring can substitute for a dual ring setup. As it is, when I went from 3 rings to 2, I found that I missed having the big ring for hauling ass on the flats....which are sometimes miles long. Not to mention the times that I actually take my rig out for coffee in town...wherein I tend to use the big rings A LOT in city type riding. So that is why I might just have to pass on the Megatrail. The people at GG are real good people it seems. And their product is definitly bomb proof and well designed.

bike rider
    ^XX1 has a pretty big range. Do the math on gear ratios and you may find that it covers your uses. A note on the Evil is my friend was racing enduro on one last year and send it descends like a mini DH bike but on the flats and climbs he was losing time cuz it felt like a mini DH bike there too.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Obviously I'm biased towards GG, but I was always a strong proponent of 2x drivetrains, but I've been riding the Megatrail 1x with our BFC and a 32T chainring for awhile now, and haven't needed any more gears. In Trail Mode, the Megatrail climbs very well, which was the difference for me. I'm not sure where you're located, but one of my main riding spots is White Ranch in Golden, CO, which has 1700' of loose, technical climbing in 3 miles. I clear much more of the climb now than before on a 2x and pre-Megatrail.
    And, the Sram X01 and XX1 systems have a little more top end range yet than the 1x10 with BFC setup.

And, as far as CoG, yep, it's important. But, BB height is going to be a larger factor than where the shock sits in the frame (although is sits about mid-shin height on the MT). Comparing Trail Mode on the MT to the tall setting on the Uprising, the MT is 0.28" lower. And, in Gravity Mode, the MT is 0.3" lower than the Uprising in it's low setting. And, that change on the MT can be done in 30 seconds or less with a 6mm hex key that's on any multi-tool. In other words, people actually use both settings on a regular basis.

More info, for what it's worth. If we can help with any other questions, feel free to ask.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    How does changing the geometry compare to the Rocky Mountain Ride-9 system?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    As I understand, the Ride 9 system is designed for the rider to tune the ride for how they want, by moving two nested square eccentric pieces on each side of the front shock mount. One direction changes geometry, and the other direction changes travel and leverage shape. It seems like it isn't designed to be changed often.

The Megatrail has two modes: Trail and Gravity. Each setting feels like a different bike. In Trail Mode, it climbs very well, and features aggressive geometry in a 150mm travel package.
    Gravity Mode rides like a 160mm travel DH bike that you can pedal. The change between them is to move the rear shock mount bolt with a 6mm hex key on a multi tool, and there are no eccentrics to drop or lose if you want to change it out on the trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    As I understand, the Ride 9 system is designed for the rider to tune the ride for how they want, by moving two nested square eccentric pieces on each side of the front shock mount. One direction changes geometry, and the other direction changes travel and leverage shape. It seems like it isn't designed to be changed often.

The Megatrail has two modes: Trail and Gravity. Each setting feels like a different bike. In Trail Mode, it climbs very well, and features aggressive geometry in a 150mm travel package.
    Gravity Mode rides like a 160mm travel DH bike that you can pedal. The change between them is to move the rear shock mount bolt with a 6mm hex key on a multi tool, and there are no eccentrics to drop or lose if you want to change it out on the trail.
    You get the same amount of travel in all 9 settings but the suspension rate changes.

They say you can change it on the trail but with the amount of small pieces it seems like you could lose one on the trail. Perhaps its because I've only changed it a couple times that it takes me awhile but it really does change the feel of the bike a great deal. So I don't really change it on the trail. plus riding in Florida it isn't really needed. That's great that its so simple to change because loosing a small washer on the trail is not something I would want to do.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Many thanx for the input. I'll have to give it some thought. I have yet to decide which direction to go with, EVIL, Ibis, Yeti, or the Megatrail. I'm having a hard time deciding.

I like small companies. I like stuff that's actually made in the USA [rare as it may be nowadays]. But most of all, I'm really attracted to the stout, simple, adjustable geometry and design approach.

Hmmm....

I don't know if you have made any decisions yet, but wanted to give you my input. I just got the Megatrail on June 26th, I have taken it out on over a dozen rides consisting of cross country, enduro, and DH. I demoed a lot of bikes in the past year before making the decision to buy the Megatrail. Here are my thoughts. The Megatrail is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden, I have kept it in "gravity mode" for my climbs and just use the climbing switch on the CCDB and it climbs better than any other bike I demoed. The downhill aspect of this bike is also just amazing, it is VERY stable at high speeds and can corner better than any bike I demoed as well. Along with how great the bike rides; working with everyone at GG was a great experience. I asked so many stupid questions and they always answered timely and were always happy to help. Overall my experience with this bike has been second to none.

I demoed most of the bikes you are looking at and they were all great rides, but the Megatrail stood out more than the others, and I highly recommend it.

I am 5'8" and went with the small frame with 650Bs.. and did a blue paint coat with yellow decals, it looks super dirty... I couldnt be happier with my size choice and color.
    Last edited by Clifflane3; 07-07-2014 at 09:25 AM. Reason: grammar

mtbr member
    Hey thanx for the input. No, I still haven't made up my mind yet. There is, however, another bike I'm considering now : 'Canfield Balance'. For $2,100 it includes the CCDB CS, and for an additional $700 you get RockShox Pike dual air. Also, I've pretty much opted out of the Ibis and Yeti, but I've taken interest in the Knolly Warden, which is a very stout bike and good technical climber as well.

The Megatrail is still very interesting to me. If I bought it, it would be my first single ring set up, and I'm still not too sure I'll be happy with a single ring, but I could be wrong. What I REALLY like too, is the fact that it's actually, truly, made in the USA. I also very much like the fact that it's overbuilt...even more so than the Knolly perhaps. Meanwhile, the summer is fast passing me by. The only bike I could actually purchase and ride in a weeks time would be a Knolly or Evil. At this point, I'm kind of just accepting the fact that I may not even be able to ride much this season by the time I get a bike, but nor do I want to make the wrong decision for 'My' own personal riding habits and needs.

I'm 5'8" too, and I'd thought to go with the medium Megatrail with a short stem ? How do you find the small frame size...? is it stable when ridden down tight, chunky single-track...? I've been opting for next size up frames w/short stems for years now, mostly because I got sick of going over the bars due to a frame being too stubby to accomplish my intended lines through technical chunk. But in the Megatrails case I'm not too certain. I guess I could go either small or medium.

Thanx again for the input. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifflane3 View Post
    I don't know if you have made any decisions yet, but wanted to give you my input. I just got the Megatrail on June 26th, I have taken it out on over a dozen rides consisting of cross country, enduro, and DH. I demoed a lot of bikes in the past year before making the decision to buy the Megatrail. Here are my thoughts. The Megatrail is one of the best bikes I have ever ridden, I have kept it in "gravity mode" for my climbs and just use the climbing switch on the CCDB and it climbs better than any other bike I demoed. The downhill aspect of this bike is also just amazing, it is VERY stable at high speeds and can corner better than any bike I demoed as well. Along with how great the bike rides; working with everyone at GG was a great experience. I asked so many stupid questions and they always answered timely and were always happy to help. Overall my experience with this bike has been second to none.

I demoed most of the bikes you are looking at and they were all great rides, but the Megatrail stood out more than the others, and I highly recommend it.

I am 5'8" and went with the small frame with 650Bs.. and did a blue paint coat with yellow decals, it looks super dirty... I couldnt be happier with my size choice and color.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hey thanx for the input. No, I still haven't made up my mind yet. There is, however, another bike I'm considering now : 'Canfield Balance'. For $2,100 it includes the CCDB CS, and for an additional $700 you get RockShox Pike dual air. Also, I've pretty much opted out of the Ibis and Yeti, but I've taken interest in the Knolly Warden, which is a very stout bike and good technical climber as well.

The Megatrail is still very interesting to me. If I bought it, it would be my first single ring set up, and I'm still not too sure I'll be happy with a single ring, but I could be wrong. What I REALLY like too, is the fact that it's actually, truly, made in the USA. I also very much like the fact that it's overbuilt...even more so than the Knolly perhaps. Meanwhile, the summer is fast passing me by. The only bike I could actually purchase and ride in a weeks time would be a Knolly or Evil. At this point, I'm kind of just accepting the fact that I may not even be able to ride much this season by the time I get a bike, but nor do I want to make the wrong decision for 'My' own personal riding habits and needs.

I'm 5'8" too, and I'd thought to go with the medium Megatrail with a short stem ? How do you find the small frame size...? is it stable when ridden down tight, chunky single-track...? I've been opting for next size up frames w/short stems for years now, mostly because I got sick of going over the bars due to a frame being too stubby to accomplish my intended lines through technical chunk. But in the Megatrails case I'm not too certain. I guess I could go either small or medium.

Thanx again for the input. Much appreciated.
    I really like the single ring on the GG, they also have their BF cog which helps out alot with the single ring.

For the sizing, I almost did the same thing with a medium and a shorter stem just for the extra cockpit room but was leaning toward the 26" wheel on that build. But I made the choice to go with the small frame and bigger wheels. Once I got the front suspension dialed in I have had no issues what so ever with tight, technical single track. I live in Jackson Hole and have been riding some really rocky steep terrain and have actually been shocked at how comfortable I am going as fast as I have been. Either sizing option would be fine for you, but I really like the small frame for my size, I've been picking lines like I'm on my DH bike.

One other thing that is kinda cool about GG is their wheels are hand made in house too, and they look cool and are really nice. For my front suspension I went with the MRP Stage, it was a tough decision to pick over the pike, but I have been very happy with it. It is easy to dial and they have some pretty cool new technology in it.

Hope this helps man, if you live in Colorado, I would definitely try to demo one, it's an impressive bike from the moment you get on it. Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-bike.jpg
    heres my bike the day I built it.

banned
    Feb 2012
    Both the Megatrail and the Balance are great deals. Check the Ibis forum though, there is an interesting spy picture of what looks like a new long legged frame discussed there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Both the Megatrail and the Balance are great deals. Check the Ibis forum though, there is an interesting spy picture of what looks like a new long legged frame discussed there.
    Thanx StiHacka. I'll check it out. However, I seem to be having my doubts about going with a carbon frame. It seems that every single producer of aggressive carbon MTB frames has issues at a FAR higher percentage than issues for owners of aluminum frames. For the type of people who get a new bike every two to three years, I suppose it would make more sense to go carbon, but I tend to keep my bikes for no less than 4 to 6 years. And I don't care what anyone 'online' says, an overbuilt aluminum frame is still, at this point, a far smarter decision for someone who intends to beat on a bike for years. Both the Megatrail, Canfield Balance, and Knolly Warden, though surely heavier than carbon, would secure a stiff, trouble free, worry free ride for countelss years time I'm sure.

I've learned that you really can't take people's advice online too much to heart in most cases regarding frame selection, because what might feel 'fantastic' to me, might not feel as such to some one else...and vice versa. For instance, I figured I'd LOVE the Santa Cruz Nomad, or Bronson...but I rode them and did NOT like VPP at all. It felt constipated' in it's travel [it's the only apt word that comes to mind to describe how 'less' fun it feels compared to a single pivot design.]. I don't CARE in the least that they 'climb' better, because today's shocks allow us to compensate for any pedal bob that such designs used to suffer from.

I may just end up taking my time and waiting to see how good the Balance turns out, and then compare it to the Megatrail. Gotta take my time because once my money is gone...that's it. And I've already once purchased a bike on impulse...and REGRETTED my decision after the fact. So this time I'm forcing myself to take my time and preferably TEST RIDE every single bike before I throw my $$$ at it.

mtbr memeber
    Has anyone who's ridden a Megatrail also ridden a Kona Process 153?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i gotta say - had this bike been rideable when i was buying - i'd given it a serious look and ride. i love the idea of what these guys are all about - and being within a couple miles is pretty cool - still might give it a demo to compare - as Im pretty sure if it blew my mind - i'd have no problem selling my other bike... kudos to GG for following the dream and passion

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    If you demo one I'd love to here your impressions of the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    indeed - now I feel compelled to give it a shot -

My riding buddy and bf of 20+ years is demoing bikes now - I've tried to get him to consider this one - but he's hung up on buying "carbon". Now as a guy who this season bought a carbon bike - i get it - but i think this bike could be perfect for how, what we ride and what he wants out of a bike - he demoed the Piv M6 yesterday and wasnt overwhelmed by it - but also needs the next size up - so could make a diff. Im riding w him later - and will try to plant a seed stating - if I grab one - will you ride it?

so - ill keep posted here what transpires...

friend of Apex
    I got a chance to ride with Matt n Will when they just finished building the first Megatrail ( I rode Matt's 27.5 I think). The main bike I ride is one of those carbon VPP thingies, and I also ride a GG/DH (which I love).

We rode on a very techy rolly trail (Dakota Ridge in Golden) I rode it back and forth on several sections. I was truly blown away by how it pedals in the rough. On paper, it doesnt seem like it should with being low and slack, and I struggled to make the connection between a 65.5* HA (I rode it in gravity mode), and the ability to stand and mash up a techy boulder field. The wheels definately help roll, but GG has the geo dialed.
    I'm trying like hell to need a new frame (you'd think it'd be easier to break plastic)...
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Subscribe

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpre View Post
    Has anyone who's ridden a Megatrail also ridden a Kona Process 153?
    That is the other bike I'm looking at too! Process is certainly cheaper and includes the rear shock but that low bb of the megatrail keeps me coming back to it.

I just sold by reignx and transition bandit and I'm riding a process 111 with a pike and loving the hell out of it for the socal steep and loose stuff but I want a longer travel 650b for the rides that overwhelm the 111.

I prefer the idea of the process 153's 16.7 CSs VS the 17.3s on the 650b megatrail but other than that the megatrail looks like it would be my ideal bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Having the shortest chainstays possible isnt always a good thing..

The megatrail is plenty flickable but it still feels solid at top speed....I have never felt like I needed a shorter rear end... my buddy has a process 153 and I'd say the front end comes up easier on my bike

Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    That is the other bike I'm looking at too! Process is certainly cheaper and includes the rear shock but that low bb of the megatrail keeps me coming back to it.

I just sold by reignx and transition bandit and I'm riding a process 111 with a pike and loving the hell out of it for the socal steep and loose stuff but I want a longer travel 650b for the rides that overwhelm the 111.

I prefer the idea of the process 153's 16.7 CSs VS the 17.3s on the 650b megatrail but other than that the megatrail looks like it would be my ideal bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks, made up my mind yesterday. Preorder is in! I'm building up a set of wheels with the light bicycle hookless 35mm rims. How do you like yours?

Quote Originally Posted by wydopen View Post
    Having the shortest chainstays possible isnt always a good thing..

The megatrail is plenty flickable but it still feels solid at top speed....I have never felt like I needed a shorter rear end... my buddy has a process 153 and I'd say the front end comes up easier on my bike

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    What color did you go with? They allow you to pick any color from the place they use to paint them. I spent forever one day just looking at the colors on the website they gave me. There are really some awesome colors on there, and you can make your bike unique.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've always wanted a raw bike so I'm leaving it raw. I do love bright green bikes though so RADiation was tempting!

What color did you go with? They allow you to pick any color from the place they use to paint them. I spent forever one day just looking at the colors on the website they gave me. There are really some awesome colors on there, and you can make your bike unique.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have you got a link to the website of the company that does the painting? I'd like to see the color choices besides the choices that are on the GG website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Here it is:

Prismatic Powders: Powder Coating Colors

They told me I could pick whatever I wanted but they can't guarantee results if its one they haven't tested. I was looking at oranges. I also found the color that the Durango Moonshine is. I think that's a pretty cool color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Here it is:

Prismatic Powders: Powder Coating Colors

They told me I could pick whatever I wanted but they can't guarantee results if its one they haven't tested. I was looking at oranges. I also found the color that the Durango Moonshine is. I think that's a pretty cool color.
    Thanks very much. Wow... there are a lot of colors to choose from!!

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Megatrail from these guys and I honestly could not have better things to say about the whole crew there. I live in Denver and have been a customer of theirs since I got the BFC and converted my Transition to a 1x10 a while back. The buying experience at GG is the way it should be with all $5K bikes: you can tour the workshop where your frame will be made, go over and discuss every component on your new build and then pick out any color you want.
    I'd also echo what others have said in that they run pretty long. I'm coming off of an XL Covert 29 and I bought a large, which almost makes me feel like a normal-sized human.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    Thanks, made up my mind yesterday. Preorder is in! I'm building up a set of wheels with the light bicycle hookless 35mm rims. How do you like yours?
    those rims are awesome...you will be amazed at how little tire pressure you can run having a wider rim...

bike rider
    I've found I can't get away with any lower pressure than I ever have since rim impacts are still the limiting factor. I hear my rims barely hitting the ground but haven't damaged one yet. Depending on the trail and tire I run 27-29 front, 31-33 rear.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I've found I can't get away with any lower pressure than I ever have since rim impacts are still the limiting factor. I hear my rims barely hitting the ground but haven't damaged one yet. Depending on the trail and tire I run 27-29 front, 31-33 rear.
    what tires are you running??

I havent had any problems with hitting my rims on the new 35mm ones...i cracked my old 26" 33mm one when running too low of pressure though but i punctured too..

Ive been running about 25psi..rode this trail yesterday without any problems..I added a few psi but I was still under 30
    VP VX Series Ben Cruz and Marco Osborne Video - Pinkbike

on my old aluminum rims I would get too much tire squirm with anything less than 32psi in the rear..now I usually end up pumping mine up to about 28 but I always end up airing them down..when I put the gauge back on it the next ride Im usually shocked at how little I actually have in there.. especially in the front..maybe I am hitting them and they just arnt cracking...not sure but the tire is much more supported either way with the wider rim..

bike rider
    Lots of tires on different bikes running different models of LB rims but on my Nomad with LB 35mm rims I'm running HRII 2.3 or 2.4 Exos. I've heard both rims bottom out several times now and even have a tiny cut by the bead of one 2.4 tire and punctured through the tread on the other (puncture repaired, cut too small to matter) but don't see any damage on the rims. I'd say I'm running right on the ragged edge of grip vs durability but bear in mind I'm racing pro enduro and trying to win. My advice is to frequently use a digital gauge (SKS is my favorite) so you know exactly what pressure you're using and cautiously go down till you hear those rims hitting. Remember how much pressure changes with temperature. I've seen a 4psi increase in just over an hour as the day warmed up. Killed my grip and made me slide over a berm. Now I bring the gauge with me to the start line on the first stage of the day.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey guys, just thought I'd throw up a quick ride report. I've got (only) 4 good rides on the bike so far, and it rawks! Mine is set up with the enduro 1 build kit with Pike dual position, CCDBA, Reverb stealth, etc. In trail mode it rides like a well-behaved trail bike. It climbs well, is confident descending, easy to throw around, etc. In gravity mode it really does feel like a different bike, and it's a ripper. I got a couple of 4000ft descents on it in gravity mode, and coming from my Pivot Mach5.7 the difference is drastic. It's so incredibly stable at speed, jumps REALLY well, and corners… oh the cornering! It's in a whole other league as far as cornering goes. I'm sure the ultra-low bottom bracket has a lot to do with this, but it just feels so planted. I have had a couple good pedal smacks as a result of said bottom bracket height, but it's nothing you can't get used to and the tradeoff is worth it as far as I can tell thus far. For extended pedaling (XC rides) especially in really rocky stuff I'd keep it in trail mode personally. DBAIR is great, and so is the climb switch. Did I mention how well the bike climbs? IN comparison to my mach5.7 (which is touted as a very good climber) the MegaTrail easily climbs as well, if not better than the Pivot, and it's a lower, slacker, almost 5 pound heavier, single pivot bike! That has really impressed me, as has the suspension performance in general. Very active without wallowing or feeling like it's sapping power.

Oh, I went 650b on the build and guess what? It really does roll through chunder more easily than 26". I also get no drastic wheel size feelings like when riding a 29. It just rips and rolls smoother.

All in all, I'm a happy customer and I'm really impressed with the ride quality of the bike. It's super versatile between the two modes giving you an aggressive trail bike and a full-blown, gravity-oriented 6" AM bike all in one sweet package. It's rad, and if you're considering one you should probably just sack up and get it. If you ride aggressively, you will be pleased.

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by NAUBoone View Post
    All in all, I'm a happy customer and I'm really impressed with the ride quality of the bike. It's super versatile between the two modes giving you an aggressive trail bike and a full-blown, gravity-oriented 6" AM bike all in one sweet package. It's rad, and if you're considering one you should probably just sack up and get it. If you ride aggressively, you will be pleased.
    Nice quick review, hope to have my MT in the next couple weeks. What do you think about the dual position pike? Do you use it in the lower position? I was considering getting it, but I really don't think I'd use it(I'm more of a set and forget type guy) that much. How does the bike feel on more mild trails compared to your pivot? Going to be honest, the trails I frequent are pretty mild, but had to consolidate down to one bike.
    "The future belongs to those that believe in the beauty of their dreams."

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Has anybody got a mega trail with the mattoc fork? Just wanted to know what people thought of the fork with the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain spaulding View Post
    Nice quick review, hope to have my MT in the next couple weeks. What do you think about the dual position pike? Do you use it in the lower position? I was considering getting it, but I really don't think I'd use it(I'm more of a set and forget type guy) that much. How does the bike feel on more mild trails compared to your pivot? Going to be honest, the trails I frequent are pretty mild, but had to consolidate down to one bike.
    I too have a MT on the way and have debated over the DPA fork. I had one on my Transition Covert 29 because dropping the front end was basically the only way I could keep the front wheel planted on steep climbs. The reason I didn't spec one on my MT is that all the rider feedback indicated it wasn't necessary. Plus, I'm at their shop a lot and no one rides a DPA, which I think is telling. I also feel that, and maybe this isn't really the case, adding something like dual position subtracts from the overall performance of the fork as it would be on the single position model.

Proof is in the pudding, though, so I'll report back after my first climb up Apex, Chimney Gulch or some other soul-crushing Front Range climb.
    "Obviously, you're not a golfer."

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by jmontroy View Post
    I too have a MT on the way and have debated over the DPA fork. I had one on my Transition Covert 29 because dropping the front end was basically the only way I could keep the front wheel planted on steep climbs. The reason I didn't spec one on my MT is that all the rider feedback indicated it wasn't necessary. Plus, I'm at their shop a lot and no one rides a DPA, which I think is telling. I also feel that, and maybe this isn't really the case, adding something like dual position subtracts from the overall performance of the fork as it would be on the single position model.

Proof is in the pudding, though, so I'll report back after my first climb up Apex, Chimney Gulch or some other soul-crushing Front Range climb.

Yeah I wasn't really looking at the DPA fork, but saw somebody speccing it so it made me think about the possibility. I had a 2-step Totem back in the day that was eventually replaced by RS with a solo air(I suspect they changed the name to "DPA" from 2-step because of the widespread problems with the 2-step), so I'm not exactly looking to go down that road again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Personally I would recommend something with travel adjust if you like to do steep climbing and want to leave the bike in gravity mode...It lets you get up over the front a bit more and it speeds up the handling when negotiating low speed turns while climbing..

Keep in mind I am running a -.5 angleset though so Im at 65deg and I only ride the bike in gravity mode..also I had a dpa on my old bike so Im used to climbing with a low front end and our trails gain allot of vertical in a short distance

As far as the pike dpa goes I've had two of them and they have both been flawless..Ive ridden a solo air and I couldnt feel a difference and Im super picky on bike setup/feel

Quote Originally Posted by Strunkbro View Post
    Has anybody got a mega trail with the mattoc fork? Just wanted to know what people thought of the fork with the bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Captain Spaulding:

Since the bike has such a slack HA I have found the dual position pike to be helpful, but only on very steep climbs. On everything else it just lives in tall position.

On more mild trails (at least with the build that I have) Megatrail honestly is not as fun as my Pivot was. For getting rowdy on milder trails the Pivot was flawless. But, I specifically got the Megatrail to take the place of the Pivot since I moved to an area with waaay bigger, badder trails (Southern Oregon from AZ) and the Pivot was in over it's head on a regular basis. However, for a big, capable bike the Megatrail is really versatile. It climbs surprisingly well, corners like crazy, handles the gnarly stuff like a boss and just feels stout and stable. And in trail mode, especially with a lighter build spec, the thing would be very much at home logging some more mellow trail time.

But the fact that a mid-20 lb, snappy, aggressive trail bike like the Mach 5.7 is more fun for mellower, pedally trail riding than a 30+ lb, low, slack 6" AM bike, dressed to shred shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone. It's all about picking the right bike for the stuff you actually ride most, not what you wish you rode most of the time. The Megatrail can cover a lot of bases well though, and really comes to life in the fast, rad stuff, as one would expect.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    The travel adjust fork feature is a rider preference choice. It seems like the majority of riders go for non-travel adjust on the Megatrail, FWIW.

I've been a fan of travel adjust on trail bikes in the past, but I run fixed travel on my MT. For me, the extra front end length helps reduce the need to lower the front. That being said, the Pike DPA rides awesome. We also have yet to have one with any reliability issues, either. And, lowering the front can be beneficial on steep technical climbs.

Bottom line: either setup works well. Choose based on your preferences.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    YEs, I will definitely second that regarding the longer front end not making it as important. I think I could easily never turn the adjustment knob and be quite happy with the climbing performance, even on steep stuff. I do like having the option though, and getting the front end a little lower has felt beneficial to me in the right situations (namely steep technical climbing).
    Also, I think with the Pike it seems as though suspension has reached a point where having travel adjust is not a compromise as it had been in the past. The Pike simply outperforms anything I've ever ridden before, in either travel setting.

mtbr member
    After reading this thread through, I gotta say, I'm quite intrigued by the Mega Trail. Anyone know if GG will be at Outerbike. I'd love to throw a leg over one.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    After reading this thread through, I gotta say, I'm quite intrigued by the Mega Trail. Anyone know if GG will be at Outerbike. I'd love to throw a leg over one.

I don't want to say I told you so Kent...but I told you so The heir apparent to your Chili perhaps?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokarsky268 View Post
    I don't want to say I told you so Kent...but I told you so The heir apparent to your Chili perhaps?
    Ha ha. Yeah, there's several interesting potential Chilcotin replacements out lately. Nomad, Range, Spartan, SB6, Enduro 27.5, T275, etc.
    Maybe even a Knolly update?? at some point.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I had the chance to demo the 26" Megatrail this weekend in Breckenridge, Colorado. I was only able to ride a 5 mile loop on Moonstone/Barney Ford/Barney Flow trails, but since there isn't much info about this bike online, I wanted to leave some feedback!

First off, I'm 5'9", 160lbs, and have always had medium frames. They set me up with a small, which gave me some hesitation, but it ended up being the right call. My medium Specialized Stumpjumper FSR has a 23.1" top tube and 16.6" reach, and the Small Megatrail has a 24" top tube and 16.8" reach. So, the GG small = a medium for lots of other bikes I have demoed.

I started off at the pump track, and I have to be honest and say it was the first time I've ever done 2x laps on a pump track without pedaling. I attribute this to the MegaTrails noticeably solid feel in corners and on berms, and its ability to hold a line, which allowed me to focus on body position instead of on what the bike was doing.

The climb was on a paved road, so I can't comment much there.

The downhill (mostly flow with berms, rollers, etc. and minimal tech) was really fantastic on the MegaTrail. The bike rips!! I had ridden the same trails earlier in the day on my Stumpjumper, and was skidding the rear wheel out on high-speed berms to correct my line, but on the MegaTrail, not only could I not cut the rear wheel loose, I didn't need to! The bike felt like it was being sucked into the trail, and it felt incredibly stable and solid. The bike went where I wanted it to go, and I felt much, much more confident on the MegaTrail than the Stumpjumper.

Overall, it was a short ride, but I had a blast! I plan to demo the MegaTrail again this week, and take it for a longer ride with more technical climbing and descents. I think it would be a solid choice for the no-nonsense rider that just wants a solid, reliable, and fun bike.

Lastly - it really is cool that these guys are making straight up no BS bikes. There is so much goofy "innovation" in the bike world these days with bizarre linkages and wheel size in-fighting, that it's refreshing to see a company put out a well-engineered aluminum 26" frame that crushes!

bipolar-roller
    Alright, so this may be a dumb question, but I don't see it specifically discussed on the GG website. What do the 2 shock mount holes at the front end of the bike do? I know the 2 rear shock mount holes are for switching from trail to gravity mode, but don't see the 2 front shock mount holes explained.

What do they do?
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
    The downhill (mostly flow with berms, rollers, etc. and minimal tech) was really fantastic on the MegaTrail. The bike rips!! I had ridden the same trails earlier in the day on my Stumpjumper, and was skidding the rear wheel out on high-speed berms to correct my line, but on the MegaTrail, not only could I not cut the rear wheel loose, I didn't need to! The bike felt like it was being sucked into the trail, and it felt incredibly stable and solid. The bike went where I wanted it to go, and I felt much, much more confident on the MegaTrail than the Stumpjumper.
    Kinda funny, I came off a Stumperjumper FSR Evo to a 650B Megatrail and my thoughts are very similar. Rear end on the MT feels super solid compared to the SJ. The added feedback from the rear end had def. helped me feel rear end break traction and adjust much quicker than when I was on the SJ, there didn't seem to be the same consistency, I would hit the same corner mulitple times and sometimes I would break traction and other times I wouldn't.. With the MT I can come in hot into turns and make adjustments mid corner based on the feedback, something I didn't feel as confident doing on the SJ. Not to say the SJ wasn't a great bike, MT is just on another level in stiffness.

Geometry feels great on my large, first bike ever(including dh bikes I've had in the past) where wide bars and short stem feel "natural" to me(I'm 6' 4" if that matters). Still dialing in the rear suspension, but this bike feels fast and seems to pick up speed much better than the SJ(I'm sure bigger wheels have more to do w/it). Doesn't feel huge either, rode some tight/twisty trails and it felt very manageable, I think being able to move around on the bike so much really let's you get your body where it needs to be. Anyways, it's been great so far!

dontcha?
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Alright, so this may be a dumb question, but I don't see it specifically discussed on the GG website. What do the 2 shock mount holes at the front end of the bike do? I know the 2 rear shock mount holes are for switching from trail to gravity mode, but don't see the 2 front shock mount holes explained.

What do they do?
    I believe that adjusts how progressive the suspension feels, haven't messed with it myself, but recall reading that somewhere.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post

What do they do?
    The holes at the front allow you to put the bike into "Super Gravity Mode" - that's according to the GG folks themselves. They told me that it's not advertised to avoid confusing people, since the bike is known for having Trail Mode and Gravity Mode. My interpretation was that Super Gravity Mode was a little bit on the experimental side, but they decided to leave the extra 2 holes on there so that people could play around and see if they liked the setup!

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipstik View Post
    The holes at the front allow you to put the bike into "Super Gravity Mode" - that's according to the GG folks themselves. They told me that it's not advertised to avoid confusing people, since the bike is known for having Trail Mode and Gravity Mode. My interpretation was that Super Gravity Mode was a little bit on the experimental side, but they decided to leave the extra 2 holes on there so that people could play around and see if they liked the setup!
    Yep, that's what it is for. The lower front hole was originally put in there for the option of a more progressive leverage curve in Gravity Mode for experimentation, but we decided to leave it in there as some people really like that setting. The feedback from "Super Gravity" is that it is less forgiving, but the fastest way down the mountain.

And, for Outerbike, we'll be out there, but not in the masses of the main demo area. If you want to demo a bike, give us a shout via email, call, etc to set up an appointment.

bike rider
    Ahh, because the lower hole on the link that achieves longer travel also increases the angle at the rear shock mount, thereby making it a little less progressive than in trail mode. The lower front mount is to bring that angle back down and the progressivity back up. Does anyone ever use the more progressive shock mount when in trail mode? Did you guys play with the different front shock mounts in conjunction with different shocks that have inherently more or less progressive springs and dampers?

mtbr member

And, for Outerbike, we'll be out there, but not in the masses of the main demo area. If you want to demo a bike, give us a shout via email, call, etc to set up an appointment.
    Email sent.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Ahh, because the lower hole on the link that achieves longer travel also increases the angle at the rear shock mount, thereby making it a little less progressive than in trail mode. The lower front mount is to bring that angle back down and the progressivity back up. Does anyone ever use the more progressive shock mount when in trail mode? Did you guys play with the different front shock mounts in conjunction with different shocks that have inherently more or less progressive springs and dampers?
    Basically, yes. But, with the rocker link and the proximity of the rear shock mount holes to said rocker link, there are other variables at work as well.
    We've joked about the "super trail" setting, but haven't tried it. It would be incredibly progressive.
    As far as different shocks, yeah, we've tried a handful. We like the Cane Creek shocks best, as the dampers are top notch, the spring curves work well, and the air can volume can be tuned. That's the biggest thing that I notice switching between the DB Air CS and the DB Inline: the air can volume is smaller on the Inline and has more ramp up near bottom out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The way supergravity mode was explained to me was gravity mode geometry with the trail mode leverage curve.

mtbr member
    Just got back from a ride with the GG guys Matt and Theron on Amasa (climbed Hymasa and descended Ahab). I was able to try the 26" and 27.5 version and liked some things better about each. Gotta say, this has been the surprise of the day for me. Brilliant and dare I say, efficient technical climbers and very fun on the dh. It got dark on us so wasn't fully able to give the gravity mode a good shake down but these bikes are impressive.

I'll get my full report up as soon as I can. More bike tests tomorrow.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Just got back from a ride with the GG guys Matt and Theron on Amasa (climbed Hymasa and descended Ahab). I was able to try the 26" and 27.5 version and liked some things better about each. Gotta say, this has been the surprise of the day for me. Brilliant and dare I say, efficient technical climbers and very fun on the dh. It got dark on us so wasn't fully able to give the gravity mode a good shake down but these bikes are impressive.

I'll get my full report up as soon as I can. More bike tests tomorrow.
    Nice! Krob outbike report! Looking forward to the read!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Really curious to hear how the bike was on Ahab. I live in Grand Junction and have been wondering about the BB hight in both trail and gravity modes. Did you feel that the bike was too low at any time?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jselwyn View Post
    Really curious to hear how the bike was on Ahab. I live in Grand Junction and have been wondering about the BB hight in both trail and gravity modes. Did you feel that the bike was too low at any time?
    No. In fact I consciously didn't time my pedal strokes a few times when powering up onto steps and only grazed the pedal once on the whole ride. I climbed in trail mode with CS engaged and dropped it into Gravity mode about half way down Ahab (after most of the climbing bits were behind us).

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I put my deposit down a little more than a weeks ago. I can hardly wait to get it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not to rain on the parade here. But I took a look at the build kits for this bike and it seems to be of really bad value compared to the big manufacturers.

You have to get the $5.2k build in order to get the pike. In fact this build is comparable to the Specialized Enduro 650b comp, which can be had for around $3.2k in LBS. Other comparable bikes like the Giant Reign and Bronson also seem to be much better value than this bike.

I guess all the premiums are in the "made in USA" but this bike seems to offer horrible value.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Meh. People looking at this bike, and similar ones, are probably not looking to spend their money on Spec-Trek-Giant whatevers.

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by cs2k
    You have to get the $5.2k build in order to get the pike.
    I noticed all that too, but they do say they will completely customize every build, so if you like the low end build and want a Pike on it I'm guessing they'll make that happen without sticking you with the other part. I've heard some local shops will do that, but for the last 2 bikes I bought new the local shops wouldn't change out what was on the bike for credit on the part(s) I didn't want.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cs2k View Post
    Not to rain on the parade here. But I took a look at the build kits for this bike and it seems to be of really bad value compared to the big manufacturers.

You have to get the $5.2k build in order to get the pike. In fact this build is comparable to the Specialized Enduro 650b comp, which can be had for around $3.2k in LBS. Other comparable bikes like the Giant Reign and Bronson also seem to be much better value than this bike.

I guess all the premiums are in the "made in USA" but this bike seems to offer horrible value.
    You don't have to get a $5.2k build to get a Pike, as others have mentioned, the builds are customizable, so if you wanted to take the base $3.5k build and upgrade to a Pike, that's not a problem.
    If you compare the whole build kit, we feel we have priced them very competitively.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

As a former Reign X owner I would happily pay $2gs extra to not have to ride that frame..Megatrail is on another level

mtbr memeber
    Quote Originally Posted by wydopen
    As a former Reign X owner I would happily pay $2gs extra to not have to ride that frame..Megatrail is on another level
    Funny. Any direct, notable comparisons you can make? I ask because I'm probably going to be on a Reign SX for an as yet unknown amount of time.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    You don't have to get a $5.2k build to get a Pike, as others have mentioned, the builds are customizable, so if you wanted to take the base $3.5k build and upgrade to a Pike, that's not a problem.
    If you compare the whole build kit, we feel we have priced them very competitively.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I think its great that the builds are customizable. But if you compare the base build at 3.5k for the megatrail, the specialized enduro comp 650b, the trek slash 7 and the Giant Reign 27.5.2, they all come with the pike stock at a similar price point. Where with the Bronson, you can get a full carbon bike at that price point. (the RAM build). In addition, all of those other bikes come with more sophisticated suspension (vpp, maestro, horstlink, ABP) compared to the single-pivot on the megatrail. I don't see how your build kits can be competitive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Big name bike companies are naturally going to get better pricing due to their volume. I bought a frame and dbinline for ~$2300 including shipping which I think is reasonable for what it is. Find me a 160mm FS frame with a 12.7 BB for less...

I love linkage driven single pivot bikes. There is nothing less sophisticated about it in my eyes and I have ridden some pretty crappy performing " more sophisticated" designs.

mtbr memeber
    Where with the Bronson, you can get a full carbon bike at that price point. (the RAM build). In addition, all of those other bikes come with more sophisticated suspension (vpp, maestro, horstlink, ABP) compared to the single-pivot on the megatrail. I don't see how your build kits can be competitive.
    Not everyone wants a carbon bike for bashing on. Not everyone wants "more sophsticated" suspension. Some people do want a modern take on mtb geometry. I am speaking of myself and that I wanted a Process 153 more than the other models you refer to. I'm having a hard time thinking of a geometry I want to pay for more than the 153, with the possible exception of the Megatrail, which takes geometry perhaps even further forward than I'm willing to believe will work for me. I might have to try it to find out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not everyone wants a carbon bike for bashing on. Not everyone wants "more sophsticated" suspension. Some people do want a modern take on mtb geometry. I am speaking of myself and that I wanted a Process 153 more than the other models you refer to. I'm having a hard time thinking of a geometry I want to pay for more than the 153, with the possible exception of the Megatrail, which takes geometry perhaps even further forward than I'm willing to believe will work for me. I might have to try it to find out.
    The Process 153 is actually one bike that offers INCREDIBLE value for money, comes with pike PLUS one of the best dropper post (KS Lev) at a low price point.

Another bike that offers even more "modern" geometry that seems to offer decent value is the Orbea Rallon.

mtbr memeber
    Another bike that offers even more "modern" geometry that seems to offer decent value is the Orbea Rallon.
    I don't see it being more "modern" than the Megatrail, but that kind of depends what you're looking for.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The Process 153 is actually one bike that offers INCREDIBLE value for money, comes with pike PLUS one of the best dropper post (KS Lev) at a low price point.

And honestly, if any of us wanted to read about those bikes, there are dedicated threads for them. Coming in this thread and *****ing about the cost that a small, boutique frame company sells there frame is poor form, imo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    In addition, all of those other bikes come with more sophisticated suspension (vpp, maestro, horstlink, ABP) compared to the single-pivot on the megatrail. I don't see how your build kits can be competitive.
    Nothing wrong or unsophisticated with a well designed single pivot bike. Look at Sam Hill's results on an Al single pivot bike. EWS champ Jerome Clementz rides a single pivot bike. Both of this year's DH World Champs are on single pivot bikes. Steve Peat won WC races on a single pivot Orange. Lapierre's DH bikes are single pivot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I don't see it being more "modern" than the Megatrail, but that kind of depends what you're looking for.
    "modern" geometry is characterized by long top tube, short chain stays, and slack head angles and low BB height. Comparing the Rallon to the megatrail both in medium, you are right that the megatrail has a more "modern" geometry.

Spec Megatrail Rallon
    TT 25 24
    Bottom Bracket 12.7 13.3
    Chainstay ?? 16.5
    HA 65.5 66

Quote Originally Posted by lordconqueror View Post
    And honestly, if any of us wanted to read about those bikes, there are dedicated threads for them. Coming in this thread and *****ing about the cost that a small, boutique frame company sells there frame is poor form, imo.
    Hi, I think the purposes of these forums to talk about bikes that you are interested in. One of the very relevant discussion about any bike is to compare it against its competitors on the market. I don't see what I'm doing is "bad form" by comparing the bike offered by one company against other bikes offered by other companies in the same "enduro" segment.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Funny. Any direct, notable comparisons you can make? I ask because I'm probably going to be on a Reign SX for an as yet unknown amount of time.
    For the type of riding I do which is basically dh but I pedal up the geo on the reign was pretty funky. High bb and too steep..Also I would blow through the rear travel if I had it setup for any kind of small bump compliance..also it is super flexy in the rear end. My rear brake rotor would drag in hard turns the rear end was flexing so much. And that's on low traction loose over hardpack

Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast