Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Rad.. Totally have read other reviews on his site but missed that whole comparison somehow. Thanks fellas.

Another thing I haven't been able to find: can the mt take a 150mm dropper?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmonty View Post
    Rad.. Totally have read other reviews on his site but missed that whole comparison somehow. Thanks fellas.

I'd email Will about that, unless Matt replies here. They're quick to respond.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Why wouldn't it take a 150mm dropper post? Ran one on mine.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Now with flavor!!

My small does. Seat tubes step up a bit from medium onwards though.
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down........ all for the sake of a race on the internet.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Stopbreakindown View Post
    Can you share any more details? If not when?

Interested in a a hardtail B+ offering
    We bought a custom made mandrel tubing bender so we can bend stays to fit 29x2.5 or 27.5x3.0 into super short chainstays on the hardtail. Availability should be beginning of 2016.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008

Will work. Not all companies make a 30.9 150mm travel dropper, but they are available, and the seat tubes definitely have room to run a long post. Off hand, I know KS makes that config, as does 9point8.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mtg7aa View Post
    Will work. Not all companies make a 30.9 150mm travel dropper, but they are available, and the seat tubes definitely have room to run a long post. Off hand, I know KS makes that config, as does 9point8.
    Cool.. That's what I was thinking but wanted confirmation. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Matt, any news yet on the DB Coil SC with the Mega?

Also, this new hard-tail that you are working on; are the brand new and already outdated (142x12) I9 hubs that I have sitting around compatible or should I start trying to sell them so that I can fund a new set that is a bit more boosty?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    We now have a DB Coil CS on a demo bike. I haven't ridden it myself yet (I should probably do that this weekend). Initial impressions from bouncing around in the parking lot: it's definitely smoother than an air shock as far as stiction; damper feels the same as a DB Air CS, which makes sense.
    In other news, I'm pretty sure Push now has stiffer springs in stock for riders over 210lbs on an ElevenSix/Megatrail combo. For any Megatrail riders that want to buy that shock, if you order through GG, your GG Rider Discount applies.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Hardtail: we're working on it. The tubing is all custom drawn for us, which is the current schedule limiter.
    Rear axle is 148; you'll see why when you see the packaging of big tire/short chainstay.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sweet, I'm excited to see what you guys come up with for the hardtail. Also good to know that the PUSH is probably an option at my current weight (i'm down to about 225lb).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Update; no eleven six fat guy springs available yet. Only lil fellas up to 210 but they are still working on it. Its my next $1200 purchase so I'm eyeballing it regularly
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had a beautiful southern Oregon fall ride this past Sunday evening; the Mega is going strong with no issues/concerns to speak of after 8 months and 700+miles under a clydesdale who likes to go fast.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-20151108_162350.jpg

mtbr member
    Beautiful pic, Shizzon. Only had a handful of rides in Ashland when I was in grad school, but riding there will definitely stick with me.

I haven't really ridden recently due to having had a busted hand since the end of the summer, but I'll be back soon enough and I had a chance to clean my MT up a bit...

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1447289898.003621.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That shot is actually in Grants Pass at a trail network near my house. I would love to live at the bottom of Mt. Ashland though as it is one of my favorites. How long ago were you living in the area?

Your Mega looks sweet by the way, I was between raw and black from my frame, and seeing your bike makes me rethink my decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shizzon View Post
    That shot is actually in Grants Pass at a trail network near my house. I would love to live at the bottom of Mt. Ashland though as it is one of my favorites. How long ago were you living in the area?

Your Mega looks sweet by the way, I was between raw and black from my frame, and seeing your bike makes me rethink my decision.
    Thanks! Funny, I think the same thing about black...

I spent a total of 9 weeks over 3 summers doing a masters program at SOU. Always a bummer when the Oregon Enduro Series would roll through town and I'd be stuck in a session or studying. '11-'13 were the years.

Looks like a west coast camping tour with my wife is in the cards this summer, from LA to Whistler and back... Gonna try to squeeze in at least one or two rides per state/province.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Its funny, I have lived in Grants Pass for most of my adult life and I have not raced the spring thaw or any other races at Ashland, it has just never worked out. One of these years I will give it a try though. '11-'13 was when I was attending Grad School in Klamath Falls so I did not get to ride Mt. Ashland as much as I would have liked.

In other news, My DBACS crapped out on me the other day and I need to get it sent out for a rebuild ASAP.

I may want to get another shock as a replacement and then use the DBACS as a spare when I get it back, does anybody on here have an extra shock laying around for the Mega?

I have a brand new set of I9 hubs (Blue Torch Classics, 12x142/15x100) that I might be willing to trade for a shock, if anyone is interested PM me.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Shizzon, give us a call if you don't find another option for a spare shock.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-20151207_170002_resized.jpg

My new MegaTrail, this thing is so sick!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Qtip2 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151207_170002_resized.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	165.4 KB 
ID:	1034312

My new MegaTrail, this thing is so sick!
    Eff yeah, bro! How's that DB Coil CS?

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    Eff yeah, bro! How's that DB Coil CS?
    I just got it last night and am going for a ride tonight to get it all dialed in. I will let you guys know the details when I get back tonight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Just got back a little bit ago from the first ride and all I can say is wow! Bike performed super well and I even got some of my fastest times at my local trails on the MegaTrail. Not bad for a first ride! The bike is not the lightest with the coil, but I felt like it made up for that with performance (both up and down). Even on the climb up I messed with the climb switch turning it on and off to see what my preference was. To be honest I think I prefer to have the climb switch off and be able to feel exactly what the back wheel is doing and get great traction too. The weight was a non issue going up as I was able to climb everything I could on full carbon bikes and like I said early I was faster going down. On the descents the bike felt so confident and I liked the added weight for when going through chunky stuff. The MegaTrail was so confident and playful in Trail mode and I'm looking forward to experimenting with the different shock positions to see what suits my style best. As far as the coil goes it was great, even with the stock tune and settings. I messed with a few things to suit my style about half way down a long descent and now it feels even better then before. As with all the Cane Creek shocks I am sure I will be tinckering with it all the time, always trying to make things better. What is nice about this coil is I can make it super plush for the downs and just use the climb switch to stiffen things up a bit for the climbs. Overall I am super impressed with the bike and both Matt and Will at GG. They went above and beyond my expectations and made one hell of a bike!

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-megatrail-somo.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice, Qtip. Thanks for the report.

My position on modes has changed a bit with the addition of a volume spacer in my DB Inline.

I'm using Trail or Super Trail on most of my climbs, probably 80% Trail, 20% Super. With the CS on, Trail is plenty firm for me, unless I have endless fire road to deal with.

I'm in Trail for the majority of my descents, too. Probably 60% Trail, 25% Gravity, 15% Super Gravity. I really do love the HA of the gravity modes, but the more spritely feel of the bike in Trail combined with the higher BB for the rockier, somewhat pedalier descents I find myself riding lately make Trail a really good all around choice. Plenty capable, but for a handful of situations where I'd prefer one of the G modes.

That's the beauty of the bike, though. Its strengths and weaknesses change with each mode, giving you four distinctly different bikes, without having to deal with fit idiosyncracies of actual different bikes.

6 months and 600 miles in, I'm still so stoked on this thing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Thanks for the help kragu! I seem to be in the same boat with rockier descents with some pedaling involved going down. I think I will be right around your percentages in the other shock positions too. Only a couple descents I am anxious to use the gravity and super gravity modes on because they are rode by both downhill and trail bikes. The trail mode felt really good going down today being able to pop off little jumps and have super quick handling. I am really looking forward to putting more time in on the bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help kragu! I seem to be in the same boat with rockier descents with some pedaling involved going down. I think I will be right around your percentages in the other shock positions too. Only a couple descents I am anxious to use the gravity and super gravity modes on because they are rode by both downhill and trail bikes. The trail mode felt really good going down today being able to pop off little jumps and have super quick handling. I am really looking forward to putting more time in on the bike.
    You'll probably notice you'll be inspired to ride the same trail differently in different modes. The G modes encourage speed, whereas Trail, like you said, begs you to play a bit.

mtbr member
    Just got back a little bit ago from the first ride and all I can say is wow! Bike performed super well and I even got some of my fastest times at my local trails on the MegaTrail. Not bad for a first ride! The bike is not the lightest with the coil, but I felt like it made up for that with performance (both up and down). Even on the climb up I messed with the climb switch turning it on and off to see what my preference was. To be honest I think I prefer to have the climb switch off and be able to feel exactly what the back wheel is doing and get great traction too. The weight was a non issue going up as I was able to climb everything I could on full carbon bikes and like I said early I was faster going down. On the descents the bike felt so confident and I liked the added weight for when going through chunky stuff. The MegaTrail was so confident and playful in Trail mode and I'm looking forward to experimenting with the different shock positions to see what suits my style best. As far as the coil goes it was great, even with the stock tune and settings. I messed with a few things to suit my style about half way down a long descent and now it feels even better then before. As with all the Cane Creek shocks I am sure I will be tinckering with it all the time, always trying to make things better. What is nice about this coil is I can make it super plush for the downs and just use the climb switch to stiffen things up a bit for the climbs. Overall I am super impressed with the bike and both Matt and Will at GG. They went above and beyond my expectations and made one hell of a bike!

Name:	MegaTrail Somo.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	1034510
    Thanks for the preliminary impressions. South Mountain? I've ridden quite a bit in AZ (Phoenix, Tucson and Sedona) and can't imagine a better bike for those trails than the Megatrail.
    I will cause thee to ride upon the high places of the earth...
    Isaiah 58:14

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Thanks for the preliminary impressions. South Mountain? I've ridden quite a bit in AZ (Phoenix, Tucson and Sedona) and can't imagine a better bike for those trails than the Megatrail.
    Yeah KRob that is South Mountain, its about 5 minutes from my house. I think it's the perfect bike for these conditions too. Rode again tonight and it is so fun in the trail mode I don't even want to switch it up yet.

Hey, a Bright Shiny Thing
    May 2010
    Quick question for all you MT owners out there....I've had mine a little over a year now and loving it....Switched out the drivetrain to the XT 11 speed, RD, chain, and 10-42, but kept my RF turbines and N/W 30T. I'm thinking of switching to an XT crankset with 170mm cranks and the 30t. How easy is switching the front cogs? shimano wants big $ for theirs but claim they last longer. Did any see a huge difference if they went from 175 to 170? I smashed my straitline amps pretty bad, and those were pricey too. Just curious if the 5mm would save my pedals a little more and if there was any disadvantages that were really noticable.

Sidebar....Great review in Bike and Dirt Rag!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by azfishman View Post
    Quick question for all you MT owners out there....I've had mine a little over a year now and loving it....Switched out the drivetrain to the XT 11 speed, RD, chain, and 10-42, but kept my RF turbines and N/W 30T. I'm thinking of switching to an XT crankset with 170mm cranks and the 30t. How easy is switching the front cogs? shimano wants big $ for theirs but claim they last longer. Did any see a huge difference if they went from 175 to 170? I smashed my straitline amps pretty bad, and those were pricey too. Just curious if the 5mm would save my pedals a little more and if there was any disadvantages that were really noticable.

I'm running a 165 RF crank. I started out with them on the Megatrail, so I can't really say if 170 would hit more. For the front ring, I'm having good luck with the Wolftooth DM ring. If I had a SRAM crank, I'd try their stainless steel DM ring.

mtbr member
    I started out with 170. Low BB on the bike is awesome, but the trade off is that I get strikes when I'm in one of the gravity modes on some of the more rocky and pedally sections of trail. This was something Will said was a common request, when spec'ing their bikes.

mtbr member

Yes, I saw that. The MT was one of the editor's picks for bike of the year. Smart editor.

Back to the original question. I felt the difference going from 175 to 170mm cranks more than I thought.......at first. Then I realized that part of the reason I was having a harder time turning the cranks on steep climbs was due to saddle and bar position. Once I got that sorted and was up over the BB more, I'm climbing the same things in the same gears as I always was. Not sure how much it's helped with pedal strikes because I haven't ridden this exact same bike with 175s but I don't seem to be getting too many pedal strikes.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Kent, did you get a megatrail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by atekt View Post
    Kent, did you get a megatrail?
    No, just comparing the 175mm cranks on my 5010 to the 170mm cranks on my new Endorphin.

It would definitely be in my top 5 for a Chilcotin replacement when I'm ready for that though..... along with the Balance, Insurgent, RFX, and Delirium.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    No, just comparing the 175mm cranks on my 5010 to the 170mm cranks on my new Endorphin.

It would definitely be in my top 5 for a Chilcotin replacement when I'm ready for that though..... along with the Balance, Insurgent, RFX, and Delirium.
    That's good company, though I can't imagine that the Delirium pedals as well as the others. You would know better, obviously...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Kent, how does the MT compare to the Chilcotin? If it is as good on gnarly downhills then that is pretty impressive.

May 2010
    Yeah, the 175's really become apparent when you switch it to gravity mode. I hate to replace gear that is still serviceable, but I think 170's are the way to go. And, I certainly don't mountain bike for the climbs.

mtbr member
    What rear shocks are you all running? I've been on a DB Inline, and am perfectly happy with it, but it needs service and I'd like to have a backup - possibly one that feels a little different than the DB Inline. Barring Push's $1200 ubershock, can anyone suggest something that might be a little better for the burlier trails that this bike's capable of handling?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    Kent, how does the MT compare to the Chilcotin? If it is as good on gnarly downhills then that is pretty impressive.
    I'd just ridden the same loop (Hymasa/Ahab) on my Chilcotin the day before testing the MT so had a pretty good opportunity to compare. The MT felt a bit lighter (though I don't think it was), a bit easier to pop the front end up for step ups, and pedaled just as well through chunk and chunder as the Chili. Despite some pretty tired legs from testing bikes all day at Outerbike (and on my third straight full day of riding), I was shocked at how well the MT climbed.

Coming down it felt every bit as plush and controlled through the rough stuff as the Chili (especially in gravity mode) but was easier to pop and manual over stuff. I didn't get to try it on any really steep, gnarly trails (although I could've. I happened into Matt up on Gold Bar singletrack/blue dot last spring in Moab and we rode together until the top of Portal, but I didn't switch off with him on Portal. After I took off I didn't see them again),but I feel like it would be pretty close to the Chilcotin on that stuff too.

Yeah, it's on the list.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

mtbr member
    That's good company, though I can't imagine that the Delirium pedals as well as the others. You would know better, obviously...
    I haven't ridden the new Delirium yet but I've heard good things. Pretty average builds are coming in around 32-33 lbs (same as my Chilcotin), and with a pretty steep STA and good climbing position (for a big bike) it should climb pretty well. It's pretty slack at 64.2/65 and over 48" long so it may struggle on the tighter climbs/switchbacks and be prone to wander some on really steep stretches. We'll see when I ride it.

Word is, it's a freaking beast going down, as you might expect.

www.stuckinthespokes.com

May 2010
    kragu, I started off with the DBInline, but at my riding weight, 225#, I had to put 300 psi to reach the numbers I needed for sag. It felt great riding, but it also felt very low in the travel and I was smacking alot of rocks. I switched to the DBAirCS and it really changed the feel of the bike. It felt like it rode higher and I was having less strikes. The CS really firmed everything up, I use it alot when riding roads on solo shuttle runs. I just had it serviced at Suspension Experts, fast and easy. If I were to have two, I'd look at something I could easily swap for a day at the park, maybe a DBCoil. But to answer your question, the DBAir is also a good bet.

mtbr member
    Thanks AZ.

I might just be looking for a replacement, with longer legs. Thinking Monarch Plus might be the ticket.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    If you're looking to have two shocks, I'd get a coil as the second. If you want to replace the Inline, with a different air shock the Debonair shocks feel a little closer to a Coil with their spring curve without the weight penalty.

mtbr member

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?

If you're looking to have two shocks, I'd get a coil as the second. If you want to replace the Inline, with a different air shock the Debonair shocks feel a little closer to a Coil with their spring curve without the weight penalty.
    And that's the question... Two shocks would be nice, but the more I think about it, the less practical that is. 140 rides this year, 4 of them park days. Probably better to play to the 97% of my riding.

If money was no object, is either the Push or DB Coil CS a suitable coil shock for big, 6k climbing days, weight aside?

Also, Matt, what tune are you shipping your M+ Debonair shocks with?

Thanks for being a sounding board, and for the advice!
    Last edited by kragu; 12-22-2015 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well guys, I received my warrantied DBair after 3 weeks of waiting and attempted to go for a ride early Christmas eve; I only made it a mile before the shock started to ride low in its travel and I had to turn around. After I limped back home and reduced the air pressure the shock sucked back into itself just like it had done prior to sending it out for warranty repair, so I have to send it in for yet another rebuild after what amounted to a 3 mile ride. Not Happy.

After this experience I am going to have to part ways with the DBair and I think I am going to steer clear of the coil version as well, I know that it should be more durable but I am not too happy with the support from Cane Creek at this time.

So, I think I am going to bite the bullet and order an ElevenSix; I'm now down to 205lb, so I fall within the available spring rates for proper sag, and after speaking with Darren on the phone it sounds like the ElevenSix is doing very well in terms of durability.

Anyone interested in a freshly rebuilt DBair CS? I have yet to send it out for service, but will be selling it as soon as I get it back, perhaps you will have better luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Well guys, I received my warrantied DBair after 3 weeks of waiting and attempted to go for a ride early Christmas eve; I only made it a mile before the shock started to ride low in its travel and I had to turn around. After I limped back home and reduced the air pressure the shock sucked back into itself just like it had done prior to sending it out for warranty repair, so I have to send it in for yet another rebuild after what amounted to a 3 mile ride. Not Happy.
    Hmm, my Inline was acting like this the last time I took my MT out (basically riding super low in it's travel); I figured it was just low on air but when I got it home that wasn't the case. I flipped the climb switch and rode anyhow, but it was a very pedal strikey kind of ride. I haven't had a chance to ride it since then, winter has really set in here, but now i'm hoping there isn't some issue going on with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

After this experience I am going to have to part ways with the DBair and I think I am going to steer clear of the coil version as well, I know that it should be more durable but I am not too happy with the support from Cane Creek at this time.

So, I think I am going to bite the bullet and order an ElevenSix; I'm now down to 205lb, so I fall within the available spring rates for proper sag, and after speaking with Darren on the phone it sounds like the ElevenSix is doing very well in terms of durability.

Anyone interested in a freshly rebuilt DBair CS? I have yet to send it out for service, but will be selling it as soon as I get it back, perhaps you will have better luck.
    My ElevenSix has been problem free since I got it in June. I skipped the CaneCreek shock and went with the ElevenSix for the Megatrail from the start partly to avoid reliability issues. The service interval on this shock is way longer than air shocks...I hate sending things in for service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by db440 View Post
    Hmm, my Inline was acting like this the last time I took my MT out (basically riding super low in it's travel); I figured it was just low on air but when I got it home that wasn't the case. I flipped the climb switch and rode anyhow, but it was a very pedal strikey kind of ride. I haven't had a chance to ride it since then, winter has really set in here, but now i'm hoping there isn't some issue going on with it.
    I knew that mine was not just low pressure because the shock was sitting well into its travel without even being on the bike, and I could push down on the back tire and extend the shock a fair amount. If I was you I would send it out for service now while winter upon us, so that when spring rolls around you have a shock that is ready for action.

I understand the theory behind why a coil shock is more durable/reliable, and I am glad to hear that your ElevenSix has been trouble free Cytoe; a long service interval is appealing, this was one of the reasons why I went with the MRP Stage for my fork, as it's service intervals are a bit longer than competitors IIRC.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I knew that mine was not just low pressure because the shock was sitting well into its travel without even being on the bike, and I could push down on the back tire and extend the shock a fair amount. If I was you I would send it out for service now while winter upon us, so that when spring rolls around you have a shock that is ready for action.

I understand the theory behind why a coil shock is more durable/reliable, and I am glad to hear that your ElevenSix has been trouble free Cytoe; a long service interval is appealing, this was one of the reasons why I went with the MRP Stage for my fork, as it's service intervals are a bit longer than competitors IIRC.
    I run the MRP Stage on the this bike and my Rip. Love it. It's also cool to have so much of the bike made here in Colorado

bike rider
    You guys experienced a seal failure between the positive and negative chambers in your Cane Creek air shocks. It sucks.

It sucks air from the positive side to the negative side. Well, I guess really it pushes, but it sucks for you.
    Keep the Country country.

May 2010
    It sucks air from the positive side to the negative side. Well, I guess really it pushes, but it sucks for you.

I see what you did there.....nice. Not so good if you want to ride though. shizzon, bummer about your DBAir....the down time is frustrating. I hate sending stuff out as well, I just do it in the dead of summer when not much riding is happening here or coordinate with a time where I know I won't be riding. That said, I just accept that it is a wear item and I leave it to pros to fiddle with the innards. Suspension Experts in NC are very fast. Also just wanted to say that I have had great CS from Cane creek when I had issues with my Inline. I'm thinking of going the two shock route myself for the times when the other is in for service. The Push shock looks amazing, but the $ is a little steep. Hopefully you get it sorted and start riding again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I get that suspension components have wear items and will, under even the best environmental conditions, require periodic service/maintenance. I also understand that the DBair is well regarded in the bike industry, and has a large number of people who I would assume have had favorable experiences based on the reviews that I have seen.

I guess I am just a bit annoyed that it seems as though the two DBair's that I have had (DBair on Ibis HDR, BDairCS on Megatrail) have been plagued with poor initial stroke feeling and abysmal durability. Initially, I chalked up the notchy feeling at the start of travel to the high pressures that I had to run due to my weight (I was 265 lb); I am now 210 lb (not light by any means) and the start of travel feel is far from what I would consider plush or smooth. I also assumed that some of my durability issues stemmed from the higher pressures that were required, but this last rebuild only lasted a mile before it failed.

I will be contacting Cane Creek directly to see if they can do anything else for me, but in the mean time I just submitted my EP form for the ElevenSix, so hopefully I will be riding again soon.

May 2010
    That 11six sure is sexy looking, I don't think you can go wrong there. Kudos on the 55# drop, that's some dedication. I know when I dropped some #'s...my riding was way more enjoyable. My reward was some carbon hoops, an 11six shock is pretty justifiable for such a drop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I will be headed to Bootleg Canyon to the Winter Gravity Series this weekend with my MegaTrail, if you or someone you know wants to demo the bike let me or the GG guys know. I have a Medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hello All,

I just want to say that Cane Creek has been treating me well with my DBair issues and have been very responsive to my emails; they are letting me upgrade to the DBcoil CS for a low price, not free by any means, but much cheaper than I could get the damper for at wholesale, so I am happy.

Overall, while I wish that I had better luck with the DBair, I can't say anything bad about Cane Creek or their service centers and I'm hoping that the DBcoil CS will serve me well.

I am still going to be getting the ElevenSix in, and keep the DBcoil as a backup, so hopefully in time I will be able to post about the performance of the respective shocks.

Regards,

May 2010
    Good to hear Cane Creek is on it. Very interested in your opinion on the DBcoil, when I emailed them about my DBair, I asked about the new coil shock and they felt that once you figured out your appropriate spring weight and then purchased a lighter one, you'd be pretty close to DBair in terms of weight.

mtbr member
    Anyone getting a "zip" sound on compression and rebound of their Monarch Plus?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The Carbine that I rode a few times over the past couple weeks had a similar zipping noise coming from the Monarch Plus on compression/rebound; to me it seems as if the noise was louder when I was in the climbing mode of the shock.

My un-educated guess would be that we are hearing seal/s rubbing on a turned shaft that has a rough surface finish (Ra) due to the programed machining parameters (i.e. the "scallop" height is fairly high and we are hearing the resulting helical ridges scrape past the sealing elements in the shock).

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

The deed is done

My ElevenSix was built and shipped today after having conversations with Darren and Dave at Push about my build configuration, priority shipping will have it to the bike shop tomorrow before noon; I am very excited! Working with PUSH has been a great experience, very professional and obviously the team knows their stuff.

Also, my DBcoil is on its way on the slow truck and should be here Tuesday of next week; so I have some fun times ahead of me!

Looking forward to riding this weekend and hopefully having something to report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Excited to hear the back to back comparison of the two. I know the ElevenSix will be better, but curious if it is "that" much better to justify the extra money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Megatrail/Elevensix first ride

First I would like to recommend PUSH for not only this excellent product, but in general as a company, as I can say that this purchasing experience has been the best that I have ever had.

I ordered the shock on Thursday and sent payment at 2:00 PM after speaking with both Darren and Dave about my desired ride characteristics for the two circuits earlier in the day; I received notification that the shock had shipped at 2:30 PM, and the $30 Priority shipping had it to the bike shop by 11:30 AM the next day. Darren had a wealth of information and it was great getting to work with him on the phone on my ElevenSix tune.

As for the shock, as many have mentioned, the initial travel is buttery smooth and the shocks seems to compress at the lightest touch to the saddle. I will reserve any real judgment until I get some more miles in on more challenging terrain; I only rode 7 miles today at a relatively tame trail system which I was forced into due to the rains. So far though, things are looking very good as it felt excellent today even in slick conditions and I can only imagine how it will feel on the more worthy trails in the area that unfortunately do not handle rain well.

Can't wait to put more miles in!

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-20160116_150218.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Looks like my DBcoil CS is going to show up today, a full two days ahead of the schedules delivery date, not bad, and thanks again Cane Creek for getting me sorted out! If only the weather will clear up so I can put some miles in....

Matt, seeing as though I would like to compare the DBcoil CS to the Elevensix and give some sort of worthwhile feedback to the group, where would you suggest starting as far as compression settings on the DB?

How have you found the coil to differ in terms of final compression/rebound settings vs the DBair for a given rider/weight?

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-megatrail-1.jpg

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    I haven't put a lot of riding myself on the DB Coil, but I would start with the same settings you had on the DB Air and go from there.

Your Megatrail was pretty pimped out before, but damn, that's ridiculous now!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Sounds like a plan, and thanks, I have had a good time piecing this build together!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looks like my DBcoil CS is going to show up today, a full two days ahead of the schedules delivery date, not bad, and thanks again Cane Creek for getting me sorted out! If only the weather will clear up so I can put some miles in....

Matt, seeing as though I would like to compare the DBcoil CS to the Elevensix and give some sort of worthwhile feedback to the group, where would you suggest starting as far as compression settings on the DB?

How have you found the coil to differ in terms of final compression/rebound settings vs the DBair for a given rider/weight?

Name:	Megatrail 1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	196.2 KB 
ID:	1043637
    Really looking forward to the comparisons! I haven't found many reviews (only one actually) on the DB Coil CS. Curious to know how the CS compares to the second circuit on the 11-6 as well as the open modes. Nice ride BTW

mtbr member
    Hey guys just wanted to chime in here after reading through all the comments. I've been a fan of Guerilla Gravity since I first read Krobs review last year. Sadly, I haven't been able to throw a leg over one yet but that's about to change. I was luckily selected to be a BAMF and will put in my order this week. I just can't decide between the forks and frame color. The MRP really intrigues me but so does the Lyric. I like the fact the the Lyric will be more stout then the MRPs 34 sanctions. I also hear MRP is a noisy fork though that's been remedied for the 16 models. Does anyone have experience with both of these forks?? As for color I love the Radiation Green but something about the Raw is calling my name too. Too much to decide! Anyways, looking forward to riding the bike and getting to know some fellow GG folks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew8404 View Post
    Hey guys just wanted to chime in here after reading through all the comments. I've been a fan of Guerilla Gravity since I first read Krobs review last year. Sadly, I haven't been able to throw a leg over one yet but that's about to change. I was luckily selected to be a BAMF and will put in my order this week. I just can't decide between the forks and frame color. The MRP really intrigues me but so does the Lyric. I like the fact the the Lyric will be more stout then the MRPs 34 sanctions. I also hear MRP is a noisy fork though that's been remedied for the 16 models. Does anyone have experience with both of these forks?? As for color I love the Radiation Green but something about the Raw is calling my name too. Too much to decide! Anyways, looking forward to riding the bike and getting to know some fellow GG folks!

Congrats! Can't help you on the fork question, except to say that the Pike has been really good - even moreso since a rebuild after its first ~120 hours. If the Lyrik had been out when I bought my MT, I'd have gotten that on the strength of the Pike's reputation and my personal experience with the 29" version.

As for frame color, I've found the raw to match the bike's personality perfectly. No fuss, little flash, just works. I tend to crash a bit and I've got a few nicks/scratches on the frame that would bother me a lot more if it was PC'd. That yellow/green is sick, too, though. Can't really go wrong!

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-11988397_10153702625802866_1451720257948148390_n.jpg

May 2010
    Agreed, you can't go wrong. The powdercoat adds a little bit more time to the process but not much. That said, if you have the extra $$, that green is bad A. I went with powdercoat white, although I think the raw looks good, especially if you polish it up a bit, reminds me of the chrome framed bmx bikes we rode as kids. ( I lusted after my buddy's Hutch, but I digress ) Either way, its pretty damn cool you can pick from any color you want. Can't get that option many other places. Good luck with your build.
    I went with a Pike, the Lyrik is probably pretty awesome too if you are leaning more towards the downs than the ups.

mtbr member

Thanks guys I gotta agree with you kragu that the raw seems to match the bikes personality plus save some money. But I have a feeling if I get the raw then see the RADiation green I may have bike color envy ha ha. Yeah, I love the Pike but want to try something new and the Lyrik would seem to be a perfect match for the bike and DBAir CS. This will obviously serve as my main trail bike and for the few park days that I make it up to Angel Fire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Andrew, we'll be stoked to have you on board.

On forks, I've spent a lot of time on an MRP and a Pike; we recently got the first Lyriks in house, so I haven't ridden one, but have bounced around on one in a parking lot test.

The MRP forks have had a few unadvertised damper tweaks, such that they are quieter now, and easier to find your ideal setup. They've proven to be very reliable; any issues we've seen have been minor with simple solutions. The Stage has a stiffer chassis than the Pike, despite 1mm smaller stanchions. The difference is presumably in the combination of axle system, bushing overlap, and maybe crown/lowers/amount of material. I'm not sure on a stiffness comparison between the Stage and Lyrik, but given how stout the Stage is my guess is that they are about the same.

The Pike is well known, of course. The Lyrik is similar, but has more bushing overlap which should help it withstand more days at Angel Fire, and the spring curve does feel a little softer off the top compared to the Pike.

There are a few new colors that will be going on the website, as soon as we get everything ready for a day of photography. The new colors include such things as:
    - Reign in Blood (transparent blood red....I think I may do this on the next bike I build, with black everything else)
    - Name TBD, midnight blue with a hint of black metallic that looks like the night sky.
    - Teal is Real. Transparent teal
    - Safety Third. Super bright safety orange with a hint of metallic.
    Plus a couple more

Choosing color is definitely the hardest part.

mtbr member

Andrew, we'll be stoked to have you on board.

On forks, I've spent a lot of time on an MRP and a Pike; we recently got the first Lyriks in house, so I haven't ridden one, but have bounced around on one in a parking lot test.

The MRP forks have had a few unadvertised damper tweaks, such that they are quieter now, and easier to find your ideal setup. They've proven to be very reliable; any issues we've seen have been minor with simple solutions. The Stage has a stiffer chassis than the Pike, despite 1mm smaller stanchions. The difference is presumably in the combination of axle system, bushing overlap, and maybe crown/lowers/amount of material. I'm not sure on a stiffness comparison between the Stage and Lyrik, but given how stout the Stage is my guess is that they are about the same.

The Pike is well known, of course. The Lyrik is similar, but has more bushing overlap which should help it withstand more days at Angel Fire, and the spring curve does feel a little softer off the top compared to the Pike.

There are a few new colors that will be going on the website, as soon as we get everything ready for a day of photography. The new colors include such things as:
    - Reign in Blood (transparent blood red....I think I may do this on the next bike I build, with black everything else)
    - Name TBD, midnight blue with a hint of black metallic that looks like the night sky.
    - Teal is Real. Transparent teal
    - Safety Third. Super bright safety orange with a hint of metallic.
    Plus a couple more

Choosing color is definitely the hardest part.
    Awesome, thanks Matt! But I think you only made my decision harder between the forks! I was leaning Lyrik but I really want to give the MRP a try. The transparent colors sound amazing too! I'm hoping to drive up and pick up the bike so I can meet everyone and check out the shop! Thanks for the info I guess I just have to man up and make a decision now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Hi Andrew,

I can only compare my Stage to the last generation of Lyrik (170MM DH RC2, 20mm thru axle), but as a fairly big guy I do not notice any issues with stiffness and It would be difficult for me to tell you which fork exhibits less flex when riding.

I really like the ramp control feature of the Stage, I use it quite a bit along with the low speed compression depending on what type of riding I am doing for the day. I am riding the 2015 Stage, and while I wouldn't mind upgrading to the 2016 internals because of the improved LSC range, the compression/rebound noise is not that bad and the performance is already stellar, so this is not something that I will be doing soon.

I have also done a seal/fluid rebuild at about the 75 hour mark (didn't need it, I just wanted to see how it went) and the process was super easy; not to mention the service intervals are class leading, so more time riding and less time servicing. So in my opinion the Stage has a lot going for it and should definitely be on the radar for anyone looking for a new fork in this category category.

And enjoy your Megatrail, I absolutely love mine!

mtbr member
    Hi Andrew,

I can only compare my Stage to the last generation of Lyrik (170MM DH RC2, 20mm thru axle), but as a fairly big guy I do not notice any issues with stiffness and It would be difficult for me to tell you which fork exhibits less flex when riding.

I really like the ramp control feature of the Stage, I use it quite a bit along with the low speed compression depending on what type of riding I am doing for the day. I am riding the 2015 Stage, and while I wouldn't mind upgrading to the 2016 internals because of the improved LSC range, the compression/rebound noise is not that bad and the performance is already stellar, so this is not something that I will be doing soon.

I have also done a seal/fluid rebuild at about the 75 hour mark (didn't need it, I just wanted to see how it went) and the process was super easy; not to mention the service intervals are class leading, so more time riding and less time servicing. So in my opinion the Stage has a lot going for it and should definitely be on the radar for anyone looking for a new fork in this category category.

And enjoy your Megatrail, I absolutely love mine!
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Depending on price difference between the two I'll probably go Lyrik and if it's too much then MRP. I think I've decided on everything just can't figure out size now. I was all set on going with the large and 35mm stem but after talking to Will maybe the Med is better. Any 6'1 riders have input with sizes they went with??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Awesome, thanks for the info. Depending on price difference between the two I'll probably go Lyrik and if it's too much then MRP. I think I've decided on everything just can't figure out size now. I was all set on going with the large and 35mm stem but after talking to Will maybe the Med is better. Any 6'1 riders have input with sizes they went with??
    I'm 6' (tiny bit more than that actually), 33-34" inseam, riding a 50mm stem. I'm glad I did not go bigger. Bike is already on the large side of the medium, very stable, but still a very fun ride. I'm talking 26" though, but the geometry should be really close. That thing ripped bike parks as way softer trails.

I'm selling mine, not because I did not like it, but I just like to try new things. And it's one of the first time I keep re-considering it.

Where are you located ? No way to try them ?
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

mtbr member

Thanks for the help everyone my order is finally in! Decided on a medium being 6'1 and after measuring my arm span which was around 71 inches. Here is the build!

Med Raw Frame
    180/150 adjustable Lyrik Fork
    DBAir CS
    50mm Atlas Stem
    Sixc Bars
    Turbine Cranks 170mm
    GPX drivetrain
    Guide R brakes
    KS Lev Integra 150mm
    Ex 471 wheels with 370 hubs

I'm excited!!

Last edited by Andrew8404; 01-26-2016 at 05:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the help everyone my order is finally in! Decided on a medium being 6'1 after measuring my arm span which was around 71 inches.
    I'm excited!!
    You bet, that would be weird if you were not !

Have fun !
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver

I like bikes, I really do.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Andrew you're going to love the bike!

On a side note I went ahead and ordered a Push 11.6 for the MegaTrail! A great bike is going to get even better. So, now I've got a DB Coil CS for sale if anyone wants one, PM me.

May 2010
    Congrats! You're gonna love it. I bet it'll crush it at AF with that Lyrik

mtbr member
    Andrew you're going to love the bike!

On a side note I went ahead and ordered a Push 11.6 for the MegaTrail! A great bike is going to get even better. So, now I've got a DB Coil CS for sale if anyone wants one, PM me.
    Congrats! You're gonna love it. I bet it'll crush it at AF with that Lyrik
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    You bet, that would be weird if you were not !

Have fun !
    Thanks guys can't wait to test her out! Sadly, the good local trails are still under snow so may be a while before I give her a proper test! Oh, and I hear nothing but amazing things on the 11.6 you will have to update us!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

A. Welcome. B. I'm 6'1 and went Large C. I have a Pike and the 15 Stage. I prefer the Stage

Get that darned bike quick and ride!
    Guerilla Gravity stable: Megatrail, Trail Pistol, Pedalhead

mtbr member
    Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_0688.jpg

Took it out for the first time and had a blast! I can't wait to get my fitness back and my knee stronger (torn meniscus and fudged PCL). This picture is prior to the bucket load of mud caked on it now.

Thanks again to Will at RideGG for being awesome on the sales side.
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bryan_d View Post

Name:	IMG_0688.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	1047096

Took it out for the first time and had a blast! I can't wait to get my fitness back and my knee stronger (torn meniscus and fudged PCL). This picture is prior to the bucket load of mud caked on it now.

Thanks again to Will at RideGG for being awesome on the sales side.

smegma lol, Can't believe DMV let that through. sick bike
    nothing witty here...

May 2010
    Nice review in Dirt Rag! Writer implies that the SC Nomad was his benchmark bike in this category (BadA bikes I imagine) and that the MT was at least its equal, and that it was the best bike he rode in 2015.....I'd like to add that it was the best bike I rode in 2014, 2015 and 2016! Keep up the great work GG.

mtbr member

Which category? Its equal is a Bromad (Nomson?), which doesn't exist. Point taken though - the bike is so good in both roles.

Which issue is the review in? 188?
    Last edited by kragu; 02-05-2016 at 08:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Lots of sweet MegaTrails in this thread. Cant wait to get one, just gotta sell my Mojo Hd first.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    what tire is everyone using on the back? I've only used the On One Smorgasbord, which has relatively short nobs, and the clearance with the lower horizontal support brace seems tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I am using a 2.3 Maxxis Tomahawk with no problems. Tried a 2.4 Continental Trail King on the rear and had slight rubbing when cornering so I switched it out. I also ran a maxxis hr2 2.3 and dh2 in 2.4 with no problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    cool. I have a tomahawk waiting to be put on. This is the only complaint I have on this frame; the brace could have been dimpled or moved in a little more for some additional clearance. I don't like worrying about what tire will fit, and it also causes the area to pack up w/ mud easier.

mtbr member

I've run a Slaughter, DHR II, and a 2.3 DHF. They all fit fine. Here's my DHF.

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1454966801.933563.jpg

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1454966813.519773.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've run a Slaughter, DHR II, and a 2.3 DHF. They all fit fine. Here's my DHF.
    Hmm, my worn out Smorgasbord has less clearance than that. I'm wondering how much the rim/tires have to do with it. I'm running LB 38mm rims...

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Hmm, my worn out Smorgasbord has less clearance than that. I'm wondering how much the rim/tires have to do with it. I'm running LB 35mm rims...
    Funny, I forgot that I ran a CM/Smorgasbord combo for a little while. The CM is huge, but I don't remember the Smorg striking me as so. Without calipers to take real measurements, I'd guess that the 2.3 DHF isn't a particularly tall tire, even with its big knobs. The Smorg is substantially more round - is your tolerance tighter in the middle of the tire?

There's a good thread somewhere here about the effect of wide rims vs more conventional rims on tire profiles/dimensions...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Funny, I forgot that I ran a CM/Smorgasbord combo for a little while. The CM is huge, but I don't remember the Smorg striking me as so. Without calipers to take real measurements, I'd guess that the 2.3 DHF isn't a particularly tall tire, even with its big knobs. The Smorg is substantially more round - is your tolerance tighter in the middle of the tire?

There's a good thread somewhere here about the effect of wide rims vs more conventional rims on tire profiles/dimensions...
    I'll confirm when I swap out for the Tomahawk tire. Here's what it looks like now with the Smorg:Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_20160208_173710.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Has anyone run a longer stroke shock on the rear? Or if it is even recommended. My megatrail will be seeing a lot of park time this year as I sold my DH bike. I have been wanting to beef it up a tad in the travel area.

mtbr member
    Has anyone run a longer stroke shock on the rear? Or if it is even recommended. My megatrail will be seeing a lot of park time this year as I sold my DH bike. I have been wanting to beef it up a tad in the travel area.
    Tire comes close to hitting the seat tube as it is. I would imagine it isn't recommended.

I've been given the green light to run a dual crown fork up front though...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks Kragu. After thinking it over, you are probably right. What fork do you think you'll run?

mtbr member

More a curiosity than anything, I don't think I'll actually follow through with that. If I did, I'd probably throw a Dorado up there just to have the ability to get ridiculous and run a 29" wheel.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    what tire is everyone using on the back? I've only used the On One Smorgasbord, which has relatively short nobs, and the clearance with the lower horizontal support brace seems tight.
    I currently use the Maxxix High Roller II 27.5 in 2.3" mounted on 40mm Nextie rims; there is about 5mm of clearance in diameter. I have also mounted a WTB Vigilante 2.3" on WTB Frequency i25's that setup only gave a mm's of clearance as shown below:

Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. Any Thoughts?-img_0040.jpg

*That is a 5mm hex for reference.*

Bryan
    Last edited by bryan_d; 02-10-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Hex size is actually 5mm not 4mm
    Just keep pedaling, don't stop pedaling.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    A longer travel shock won't fit, but one thing we've found that helps is a coil shock for more park use. I rode mine in the park at Whistler last year with a Push ElevenSix, and it was pretty awesome everywhere except the roughest and steepest trails (In Deep, Canadian Open, etc), where the full DH bike has an advantage. I remember thinking that a 180 travel fork would have been pretty sweet without hindering the trail riding capabilities. If you have the $$, the ElevenSix smooths out high frequency chatter (ie braking bumps and high speed roots) better than anything else we've ridden....to the point where Megatrail-ElevenSix combo was as good on the Blue Velvet braking bumps as my GG/DH-DB Coil setup, at least on the rear.

Edit: another front end option that I ran for awhile: 29er. I ran mine with a 150/120 travel adjust Pike 29er. In 120mm travel, it was about the same height as a 27.5 160 setup, and at 150, it was taller/slacker, which was nice on burly descents.

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    As far as rear tires go, wider rims increase the tire's circumference, which in turn increases the diameter, and eats up some of the clearance. We haven't run the Smorgasbord, but the WTB Vigilante is one of the tallest tires I've ever used (iirc, at least 28" diameter), and definitely eats up some clearance. Last time I ran one of those in the rear, I ended up clipping the center knobs down to half as tall for better rolling resistance, and opened up more room for the side knobs to grab, and of course gives a few more mm of clearance. That made the tire quite good as a rear, imo.

mtbr member
    Do you have an all-around favorite for CO rocky chunk, Matt?

Alt-132
    Jul 2008
    Do you have an all-around favorite for CO rocky chunk, Matt?
    Tires? Minions are pretty awesome....can't think of anything off hand that I've liked better.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast