Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...

Bike came in This last Friday, thanks to an awesome dealer who pulled some strings Giant was able to find one and send it to us. I went with the 27.5-1 model, it is flat black and has the full XT setup on it. Comes with the PCRX1 wheels (1675) and racing ralph tires.

I am coming off of a 2012 Specialized Epic Comp that was setup with SRAM X9/Stans Arch EX/Shimano XT brakes (28.1lbs trail ready).

Set the bike up Friday night, out of the box (size medium) setup tubeless with no pedals bike weighed in at 24.2lbs. Once i got the bike home and put on my 3T carbon bars, Giant carbon seat post, Garmin, can of big air and XTR pedals bike weighed in at 25.6lbs. Plans are to order the Giant carbon stem and then after the new year and once Stans Carbon wheels hit the shelves to put a set of those wheels on the bike and should be at 24lbs fully trail ready.

Rode the bike Saturday morning (right before the Giant Demo truck came to the local trail, seems I was the first person in the state that has this bike, even the Giant demo riders had not seen one yet) and put in a nice 16 miles on it.

Right off of the bat the difference in pedaling was noticeable, bike was easier to get rolling, to maintain speed and easier to climb in. Suspension works better than the Brian system on the Epic, climbs were alot easier and I could actually stand up and pedal up hills without losing traction. I kept the fork and shock in trail mode.

Handling was quicker for sure, easier to pick the lines and easier to change the lines if need be over the 29'er bike. On Sunday went to another trail that I am racing this weekend and put another 25 miles on the bike. Dialed in the front fork some more as per recommendations at point of setup the shop put too much air in the fork. I weight in at 205 ready to ride, put 100psi in the fork on the trail yesterday and it was perfect. Rear shock is at 100psi as well. Need to play with the rebound some and slow it down a bit.

So far I am pretty impressed with the bike and will be happy riding it for the next coulple of months until the wheels come in. Plan on putting some miles on it over the next 3 months and hopefully better myself over the winter months to be ready for the next race season.

It's about showing up.
    Very cool. Congrats!
    I don't rattle.

WillWorkForTrail
    Thanks for the review. This is one of the bikes I'm considering.

mtbr member
    Any pics?

What fork/shock comes on the advanced? 100psi in the shock for 200lb rider seems a little on the low side?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    It comes with the Fox 32 CTD Float fork on it.

I will know for sure on the rear shock over the coming weeks. Now that I think about it the rear should be rider weight, I had so many suggested specs from riding around with the Giant demo crew this weekend and they were quoting specs from the prev bikes. Plus it seems the suggested setting are going to vary if you have Rockshox versus the Fox shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Awesome!

and

"Suspension works better than the Brian system on the Epic"
    hehe

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Yeah, got to love spelling correction programs...lol

Looks like from Fox's website, for me coming in at 200lbs I need to start at 90psi in the front and 200psi in the front.

So far from my research this morning not much I can upgrade on the bike that isn't already pretty close to being as light as it can be, as of now upgrading the stem to carbon is not even really worth it even with my team pricing as I will only lose 15g (while spending $115 for the Giant Contact SLR stem).

Have to wait on the Stan's wheels for now. Anyone have any other carbon wheels recommendations they can suggest that can handle a 200lb rider and hold up? Maybe some Enve rims with DT Swiss 180 or 240 hubs?

Small Lunged, Big Bellied
    Nov 2010
    Congrats on the bike. I have this bike as well but in a Large and just got it set up this weekend.

I'm coming from a XTC 29er hard tail so this bike seems magically fast.
    Totally agree that there's not a lot to replace to lighten this bike up much except the wheels and even they aren't anchors. I'd love to know what a 0 weighs in at.

I plan on getting the carbon bars and seatpost as well and I'm running Time Aliums.

I've also been researching wheels and will be interested to hear what you get.

O2D

Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...-photo.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The shop mgr has the 27.5-0 in a medium, his came in at 22lbs out of the box. The stock Giant PCXR-0 carbon wheels are 1395g I believe, the Stan's carbon wheels are slated to come in around 1220g for the 27.5. Going from the stock PCXR-1 wheels 1675g to the Stan's will be almost a 1lb drop in weight.

I can get team pricing on the Giant wheels, but that price is really close to what my price will be on the Stan's wheels once they hit the market so I am going to wait for now. I am even toying with building the new Stan's carbon rim with some DT Swiss 240 or 180 hubs possibly.

mtbr member
    I test rode the Advanced 0 last Saturday. It was like getting cheat codes to mountain biking. I'm planning on putting in an order for an Advanced 1 next week.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Hopefully you can get one, most of the production has been slated for dealers pre-orders. Regular shipments are not slated to come in until week 52 of this year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    Hopefully you can get one, most of the production has been slated for dealers pre-orders. Regular shipments are not slated to come in until week 52 of this year.
    I didn't know that. Eh, if I have to wait, I'll wait. Though I think I'll stop by the shop to find out, this weekend. Fingers are crossed.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I would move away from the Giant brand parts if you want to save some serious weight. There are some very light parts out there if you look in the right places.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not many parts left to replace that weight can be saved on, I already have 3T carbon bars and the Giant contact SLR seatpost (research showed not many options on the seatpost due to the size Giant uses and their weight is right in line with aftermarket).

Wheels on the 27.5-1 bike are about the only real area to save some weight, maybe the fork but seeing as the Fox does what I need it to do I don't have any plans on dropping $500+ just to get a lighter fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I would move away from the Giant brand parts if you want to save some serious weight. There are some very light parts out there if you look in the right places.
    Partly true, you should avoid the sports and connect parts. The connect sl are pretty good. The contact aluminium parts are competitive with aftermarket and often lighter and stiffer. The contact slr parts are in line with the aftermarket, light, stiff and nice.

Most people just think housebranded parts are crap, but just compare them with the aftermarket and you will.discover they are equal or even better.

Registered Dietitian
    Quote Originally Posted by OxygenDeficit View Post
    Congrats on the bike. I have this bike as well but in a Large and just got it set up this weekend.

I'm coming from a XTC 29er hard tail so this bike seems magically fast.
    Totally agree that there's not a lot to replace to lighten this bike up much except the wheels and even they aren't anchors. I'd love to know what a 0 weighs in at.

I plan on getting the carbon bars and seatpost as well and I'm running Time Aliums.

I've also been researching wheels and will be interested to hear what you get.

O2D

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	4019 
Size:	276.7 KB 
ID:	842850
    I got to straddle that bike a few days ago (Tommy, Rob's friend). Very nice bike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    I didn't know that. Eh, if I have to wait, I'll wait. Though I think I'll stop by the shop to find out, this weekend. Fingers are crossed.
    I was pleased to find the shop had one in stock, though it's a large. I put in an order for an XL and he said it'll ship either today or Monday. Hooray I'm now almost 5 Gs poorer!
    Last edited by Love Commander; 11-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.

It's about showing up.
    I need a large. Local shops have a small and a medium.
    I don't rattle.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    You can drop .34 lbs. from your pedals. XT Trail pedals weigh in around 410 grams. You could do some Ritchey Pro Paradigm pedals at 255 grams. Drop another pound by going 1x10. 1X10 upgrade costs under $200 if you do a WolfTooth front ring and an Action Tec 39t rear cog (even less with a Mirfe 42t cog). The wife's medium Tallboy C, with XT components, weighs 24.2 lbs. right now including pedals (M540) and computer. I'm going to pick up a couple sets of Ritchey pedals to drop her into the 23.8 lbs. range. If I go with EC90XC wheels my XL Tallboy will be 23.3lbs. With something a little heavier (Havens or Carbon Control) it'll be 23.7lbs. complete. 1X10 is neato.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    XTR trail pedals are 398 grams or 1/3 of a pound dropped with 255 gram pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I am prob going to warranty out the XTR pedals for the XT, the XTR's are creaking so bad it isn't even funny and they are brand new.

mtbr member
    Picked up my Advanced 1 on Saturday and got fitted. Straight out of the box, without pedals, it weighed exactly 25 lbs (size XL). I finally got a chance to take it out yesterday for about 2.5 hours. My impressions pretty much line up with TJay's. Cornering is so much easier/more confident than on my HT 29er. The only down side is slightly increased pedal strike, so I have to be a bit more mindful going through rock gardens or around off-camber turns. Wasn't a big deal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hi all, I just ordered an Anthem Advanced 1 last week. Apparently the lead time is week 7 of next year so I've got some serious waiting to do! For any of you lucky guys who already have an Advanced 1, does the bike come with carbon bars as standard? The brochure says they are, 'Giant Contact SLR TR' which I'm guessing is the carbon range. The seatpost and stem are alloy for sure so I'm thinking that while I wait I'll sort out some nice carbon alternatives.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Quote Originally Posted by xc-matt View Post
    Hi all, I just ordered an Anthem Advanced 1 last week. Apparently the lead time is week 7 of next year so I've got some serious waiting to do! For any of you lucky guys who already have an Advanced 1, does the bike come with carbon bars as standard? The brochure says they are, 'Giant Contact SLR TR' which I'm guessing is the carbon range. The seatpost and stem are alloy for sure so I'm thinking that while I wait I'll sort out some nice carbon alternatives.
    The Anthem 1 comes with alloy handlebars "Contact Trail". I replaced them with ENVE risers.

EDIT: different specs in different regions. In the US it comes with the contact trail. If yours has the SLR then it's carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The only down side is slightly increased pedal strike, so I have to be a bit more mindful going through rock gardens or around off-camber turns. Wasn't a big deal.
    Can someone please confirm if the BB is lower - apart from brake jack there's nothing i hate most than pedal strike/chainring strikes - it destroys ones confidence in the ride. I don't mind riding higher - just don't like these pedal/chainring strikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I can tell you the USA spec Anthem Advance 1 comes with the alloy bars and seatpost, I put my 3T Eryx carbon bars on mine and a Giant Contact SLR seatpost. I just got my wife setup on the womens version of this bike (Lust Advance 2) and found the Giant Contact SLR bars and seatpost on clearance and ordered them for her.

As far as BB and strikes go, the bike does sit lower. Where on my 29'er I never worried about anything I am finding an occasional strike while riding this bike. Some of it is technique that I just need to change up some.

It's about showing up.
    I'm ordering my Anthem Advance 1 tomorrow. Will replace bars and seat post with Syntace carbon fiber stuff.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Ordered yesterday. Due end of December.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Congrats. I got mine two weeks ago. Installed ENVE Riser bars and converted to 1x10 with a Wolftooth 32T. I added some 3.5mm spacers to the crank to bring the chain line to 50mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Did you weight it after the conversion, what did it end up at?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Size M with tubeless conversion, Candy 3 pedals and bottle holder: 23lb 13oz

Note: this is with my crappy home scale. I need to go to a shop to get more accurate.

It's about showing up.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mikericci View Post
    Congrats. I got mine two weeks ago. Installed ENVE Riser bars and converted to 1x10 with a Wolftooth 32T. I added some 3.5mm spacers to the crank to bring the chain line to 50mm.

That looks awesome! Can't wait until mine arrives!

Cheers for the reply re the handlebars. Looks like the UK Anthem 1s ship with carbon SLR bars. I've ordered the SLR seatpost to go with it. By the time the bike arrives mid February maybe the Stans carbon rims will be available too

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I got a size small Anthem Advance 27.5 - 0 Team last week. It's amazing. 21 lbs set up tubeless with pedals

It's about showing up.
    Sweet!
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    Large, out of the box=24 pounds 15 ounces.

I swapped out the OEM seatpost and bars for Syntace P6 and vector Highrise carbon. Went tubeless (gorillas tape, wtb valves, notube sealant) and added XTR pedals. 25 lbs, 1 ounce.

Too dark to ride much.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Looking at the Action Tec website, it looks like their 39t is $300. How do you get a wolftooth AND 39t cassette for $200?

Quote Originally Posted by TCW View Post
    You can drop .34 lbs. from your pedals. XT Trail pedals weigh in around 410 grams. You could do some Ritchey Pro Paradigm pedals at 255 grams. Drop another pound by going 1x10. 1X10 upgrade costs under $200 if you do a WolfTooth front ring and an Action Tec 39t rear cog (even less with a Mirfe 42t cog). The wife's medium Tallboy C, with XT components, weighs 24.2 lbs. right now including pedals (M540) and computer. I'm going to pick up a couple sets of Ritchey pedals to drop her into the 23.8 lbs. range. If I go with EC90XC wheels my XL Tallboy will be 23.3lbs. With something a little heavier (Havens or Carbon Control) it'll be 23.7lbs. complete. 1X10 is neato.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    The wheel set from the site shows 1655 grams. Isn't that very comparable to the Stans arch? Or am missing something. I would hate to buy a $4000 bike then have to drop another 600 on a wheel set.

Golden Bears United
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    Large, out of the box=24 pounds 15 ounces.

I swapped out the OEM seatpost and bars for Syntace P6 and vector Highrise carbon. Went tubeless (gorillas tape, wtb valves, notube sealant) and added XTR pedals. 25 lbs, 1 ounce.

Too dark to ride much.
    Can't wait to see the new bike at P-Ridge gala ride, Mike. It looks and sounds like a featherweight.

I bet you're feeling like a kid on Christmas morning. I still do, and it's been almost 2 months for my new ride.
    Solo & Ala Carte ~ that's how I like my bikes.

It's about showing up.
    A preview; no one showed up for class so I used the studio.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...-anthem2542.jpg  

I don't rattle.

TCW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Mirfe cog is $50. General cogset is $150. Action Tec 39 tooth is $107. Wolftooth is $68 - $75. I just got the General Lee from bike-discount.de, shipped to Oklahoma, for $147 each (I bought 3 of them).

mtbr member

Your bike is awesome! Got mine on special order and it should be here in December. I absolutely love your 1x10 conversion. Did you just use the same chain? How about the rear derailleur? I know its an XT, but is it the Shadow version?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    A preview; no one showed up for class so I used the studio.
    Looks amazing I love the black murdered out look. What stems can you use
    on giants I heard there is a taper at stem. Is there an aftermarket 50 mm stem you suggest? Btw i rode this bike around parking lot its a rocket but dealer told me wouldnt hold up in enduro racing so looks like a trance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Rear mech is XT Shadow+ and chain is KMC (all stock). I'm going to replace the derailleur with either xt medium cage or Zee short cage to relieve some tension on the derailleur in the largest cog. Now I can see the chain pulling the cage outward when in the smallest gear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

The OD2 stems are 1-1/4 (not tapered). Hard to find suitable replacements except from Giant.

It's about showing up.
    Ritchie has some and Giant has both an alloy and carbon line along with DH stuff.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    As I have to order a bike in I'm always tossed up on size. I am 5'10 with a 32 in seem. Anyone around my size riding a M or L. I am leaning towards the large cause I always have liked being a bit stretched out.

Brad

mtbr member
    Brad, I'm the same height as you and I've always felt best on medium Giants, ever since my first XTC in 1999 and thru many different models over the years. I didn't even have to demo the Anthem before I dropped my money for this one.

mtbr member

Pics?

Quote Originally Posted by kcmtnbiker View Post
    I got a size small Anthem Advance 27.5 - 0 Team last week. It's amazing. 21 lbs set up tubeless with pedals
    Pics, please.

It's about showing up.
    Crosspost from Giant Forum.

Anthem Advance 1 First Ride
    90 minutes. 12 miles, 1600 ft.

New bike is so not the old bike: a classic steel XC HT racer; Bontager Racelite

With all the carbon and suspension it’s a little hard to feel the ground.
    The bigger wheel must smooth things out, too. Much more comfortable than Bonti except for the wide bar popular today.

Double-checked seat position but feels okay. Adjusted position of controls. Going from V-brakes (XTR/ceramic rims) to hydraulic XTs is a trip but I had a little experience with hydraulics on my sons Yeti Arc Racer, a 29er Spot, and a TallBoy. So the one-finger thing was okay. Somehow front braking seems remarkably effective. Right Shifter is precise but feels ”crunchy” in the shifter itself. Just a little thing. Not slow as with a dirty/worn cable housing but not as elegantly crisp as the old broken-in XTRs and XTs I have had in the past. Front shifting seems really clean. Taller gearing at the low end makes work for me as I use a stump-puller on steep climbs. Top speed seemed okay.

Handling was not as quick as my Bontrager with a slightly more slack head tube angle and just over 2 inches longer in the wheelbase. Also I think my stem is a bit long. It doesn’t have the floppy wheel feel of a 29er though and was still nimble in the twisties and got up to speed quickly. It compares to the Carbon Tallboy in geometry and wheelbase but that was a 29er. Tires grip if given a chance. Stays planted on climbs. Wants to slide in the rear on steep downs. Slower pawl engagement than my Chris Kings but okay.

After a while I felt quite sure once on top of the bar and driving the front wheel. I’ll wait and see on bar width/stem as it worked after a while.

There is a lot to learn but this bike will be just fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...-aa1984.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Is it possible to use the 104 BCD X01 chainring on the XT/SLX crankset?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I put a 104BCD on my XT.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I put a 104BCD on my XT.
    I saw that in your post, with an Wolftooth chainring. Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough. Those Wolftooth or Race Face blades aren't available in my country. The Sram X01 chainrings with 104 BCD however is available, so i'm looking tot upgrade my SLX crank to 1 x 10 but I'm not sure the SRAM X01 chainring will fit. BCD looks right, does the SLX bolt fit the chainring or should i buy special SRAM bolts?

WillWorkForTrail
    Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    Those Wolftooth or Race Face blades aren't available in my country.
    What do you mean by available? Even in the US, as far as I can tell, you have to order Wolftooth parts directly from Wolftooth. There is no distributor. I could say much the same for the General Lee cassette adaptors - they have no US distributor, but I can still get them. Surely, Wolftooth will ship to your country?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

According to this review on Pinbike the X01 11sp rings are 98BCD. http://m.pinkbike.com/news/SRAM-X01-...Explained.html

It's about showing up.
    My analysis:

It all works. There is nothing stupid about this machine. For me it is simply a bigger bike that makes riding much more easy and comfortable. I have to figure out cockpit position and that will take a few weeks but it will all get done.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Slower pawl engagement than my Chris Kings but okay.
    The stock hub internals are the DT Swiss 18T star ratchet. I upgraded mine out of the box with the 36T ratchet kit and it's lovely.

mtbr member
    Hi TJay74,

Very cool to read your review. I've been personally demoing the 27.5 models and it's great to listen to everyone's thoughts. Happy trails.
    Justin
    Giant Bicycles USA
    www.facebook.com/giantbicyclesusa

It's about showing up.
    The stock hub internals are the DT Swiss 18T star ratchet. I upgraded mine out of the box with the 36T ratchet kit and it's lovely.
    Good knowledge. While have heard it before it didn't stick. Does now because I own the bike.

I have a really nice asset for wheel building that I want to use as he has made me 3 sets for other bikes. I am going to replace this wheel set with my Chris King Hubs and carbon hoops anyhow.

I wonder what this wheel set is worth. Does anyone know exactly what model of DT Swiss hub they have?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Giant sells the 29er version on their site for $650. They dont list the 27.5 yet but I bet they are similarly priced.
    14 Aurum, 16 Fuse, 17 T130

It's about showing up.
    Thank you.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    After 5 months of waiting, mine finally arrived over the weekend. I got some new Mavic Crossmax SLR's too which really add to look of the bike I feel. Super pleased with the setup. Time to get it dirty

Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...-anthem1.jpg

mtbr member
    Damn, your bike is absolutely pimptastic. Two requests. One, if you don't mind me asking, how much did that bike cost you? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Second...please post up more pics!

After 5 months of waiting, mine finally arrived over the weekend. I got some new Mavic Crossmax SLR's too which really add to look of the bike I feel. Super pleased with the setup. Time to get it dirty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anthem1.jpg 
Views:	9461 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	881338

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by daponik View Post
    Damn, your bike is absolutely pimptastic. Two requests. One, if you don't mind me asking, how much did that bike cost you? I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. Second...please post up more pics!
    Thanks! I got 10% off the RRP price. I've added a carbon SLR seatpost and the wheels. Got 10% off everything so the whole thing stands me at about £3600.

I spent last night getting everything setup - flipped the stem, set my sag, put some helicopter tape on the vulnerable areas and gave her a good coat of polish. I'll take some updated pics and upload later.

mtbr member
    After putting my special order in since November, my bike finally showed up last Saturday. Flipped the stem also and put one of the bigger stem spacers on top to drop the riser bar down just a bit. First trail ride is tomorrow night, but I'm so eager to start upgrading this thing. What should I do first? Go tubeless? New wheelset? Seatpost? Handlebar? I got such a great deal on the bike, my wife gave me the go ahead to spend a few more bucks upgrading it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Which version of Anthem? Alu or Carbon?

I'd look at wheels and tubeless first for sure. Strip down the wheels (remove cassette, rotors, tires) and weigh them naked so u know what your baseline is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    After putting my special order in since November, my bike finally showed up last Saturday. Flipped the stem also and put one of the bigger stem spacers on top to drop the riser bar down just a bit. First trail ride is tomorrow night, but I'm so eager to start upgrading this thing. What should I do first? Go tubeless? New wheelset? Seatpost? Handlebar? I got such a great deal on the bike, my wife gave me the go ahead to spend a few more bucks upgrading it.
    Great news your bike arrived. In my experience the best bang-for-buck upgrade is always going to come from a wheelset upgrade. I'm really pleased with the Mavic SLRs on mine. Seatpost and bars will save some more weight but outside of that I'd probably leave the bike standard.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

First thing I did on AA1 was get a wolftooth NW and convert to 1x10. I replaced the handlebars with Enve risers carbon and got a shorter stem (same model as stock, because of OD2 limitation). Next in the list: 120mm fork, dropper & carbon wheels. I call my bike "Money Pit".

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Great news your bike arrived. In my experience the best bang-for-buck upgrade is always going to come from a wheelset upgrade. I'm really pleased with the Mavic SLRs on mine. Seatpost and bars will save some more weight but outside of that I'd probably leave the bike standard.
    Matt, do you know how much the stock wheels weigh? I've had mine for about a week now, and I love it, but I'm a weight weenie and I'm wondering how much the SLRs saved you weight-wise...

mtbr member
    Giant lists them as weighing 1655g, so they really arent bad. They just need the 36t star racket mod done to them.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by HkNeef View Post
    I saw that in your post, with an Wolftooth chainring. Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough. Those Wolftooth or Race Face blades aren't available in my country. The Sram X01 chainrings with 104 BCD however is available, so i'm looking tot upgrade my SLX crank to 1 x 10 but I'm not sure the SRAM X01 chainring will fit. BCD looks right, does the SLX bolt fit the chainring or should i buy special SRAM bolts?
    I can ship you a Pacenti 1x chainring, no problem.
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Crosspost from Giant Forum.

Anthem Advance 1 First Ride
    90 minutes. 12 miles, 1600 ft.

New bike is so not the old bike: a classic steel XC HT racer; Bontager Racelite

With all the carbon and suspension it’s a little hard to feel the ground.
    The bigger wheel must smooth things out, too. Much more comfortable than Bonti except for the wide bar popular today.

Double-checked seat position but feels okay. Adjusted position of controls. Going from V-brakes (XTR/ceramic rims) to hydraulic XTs is a trip but I had a little experience with hydraulics on my sons Yeti Arc Racer, a 29er Spot, and a TallBoy. So the one-finger thing was okay. Somehow front braking seems remarkably effective. Right Shifter is precise but feels ”crunchy” in the shifter itself. Just a little thing. Not slow as with a dirty/worn cable housing but not as elegantly crisp as the old broken-in XTRs and XTs I have had in the past. Front shifting seems really clean. Taller gearing at the low end makes work for me as I use a stump-puller on steep climbs. Top speed seemed okay.

Handling was not as quick as my Bontrager with a slightly more slack head tube angle and just over 2 inches longer in the wheelbase. Also I think my stem is a bit long. It doesn’t have the floppy wheel feel of a 29er though and was still nimble in the twisties and got up to speed quickly. It compares to the Carbon Tallboy in geometry and wheelbase but that was a 29er. Tires grip if given a chance. Stays planted on climbs. Wants to slide in the rear on steep downs. Slower pawl engagement than my Chris Kings but okay.

After a while I felt quite sure once on top of the bar and driving the front wheel. I’ll wait and see on bar width/stem as it worked after a while.

There is a lot to learn but this bike will be just fine.
    Nice!
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Got the Anthem Advanced Model 1, which I believe only comes in Carbon. Good suggestion on stripping the wheels down and weighing them separately. I'll do that tonight after her first break-in ride in the trails. I am curious to see how close these wheels get to the manufacturer claimed 1655 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Which version of Anthem? Alu or Carbon?

I'd look at wheels and tubeless first for sure. Strip down the wheels (remove cassette, rotors, tires) and weigh them naked so u know what your baseline is.

mtbr member
    I ran CrossMax SLRs on my XTC 29er last season. I loved those wheels! Stiff, light, and maintenance free! Plus they looked awesome! I may go that route again because they are priced in my budget. I would love to go back to Kings again or maybe try out the i9 Torch, but if I'm going to go above $1,000 for a wheelset, I may as well start looking at the Giant carbons from the Team model.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    On the page I found on Giant's site they claimed 1700g. Those wheels aren't tooooo bad on weight, but u could def do better w/ carbon wheels!

It's about showing up.
    I don't know much about the weight difference with carbon but I miss my Chris King engagement. No biggie, just sayin'.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I found on Giant's site that the carbon wheelset they use on the Team model is specced at 1400 grams. So if our wheels are anywhere near the 1655 they say it is also, the 255 grams is good for over a half pound of weigh savings. Although we won't get our beloved Chris King engagement, the weight savings and bling factor is almost enough to make me pull the trigger. Time to make a call to my local (awesome!) Giant distributor and see what kind of deal he can get me.
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1
    RaceFace NEXT SL cranks-34t
    SRAM X01 11-spd and Industry 9 Ultralite wheels coming soon!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Also, you'll gain some stiffness in the carbon rims over the alu rims as well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by adelaarvaren View Post
    Matt, do you know how much the stock wheels weigh? I've had mine for about a week now, and I love it, but I'm a weight weenie and I'm wondering how much the SLRs saved you weight-wise...
    According to product literature I saved 215 grams swapping the standard wheels to Mavic SLRs. I don't have an accurate set of scales to confirm this though!

mtbr member
    According to product literature I saved 215 grams swapping the standard wheels to Mavic SLRs. I don't have an accurate set of scales to confirm this though!
    I saw 1440g quotes around the web for the 27.5 CrossMax SLRs. But when I looked at Mavic's site, they list 1570g for the 27.5s (which is still pretty good), and 1440g for the 26s.

I've been eyeing these wheels for a while now. How do you like them? Did you get to do any kind of A/B comparison between the Mavics and the Giants?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I always like to look at the rim weight as well since it is as the outermost dia. of the wheel (other than the tire).

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I saw 1440g quotes around the web for the 27.5 CrossMax SLRs. But when I looked at Mavic's site, they list 1570g for the 27.5s (which is still pretty good), and 1440g for the 26s.

I've been eyeing these wheels for a while now. How do you like them? Did you get to do any kind of A/B comparison between the Mavics and the Giants?
    I've not got too many miles on them yet so can't comment too much. I also didn't do a single mile on the stock wheels! I was going to hold off on a rim upgrade until the start of our race season here and train on the stock wheels but the bike took so long to arrive I ended up getting the Mavics straight away. The Mavics accelerate well. The freehub is quite noisy but I kind of like it. I hope that they prove reliable and stay true long term. I had American Classics as my last race wheel set and they were terrible. Freehub failed twice in a year and was constantly truing them.

It's about showing up.
    Weighed my wheel set at the shop:

Light Bicycle 27.5" 30mm wide rims
    12k glossy weave
    Chris King Classic hubs
    Sapim Race spokes
    Sapim Brass nipples

1522 grams.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Weighed my wheel set at the shop:

Light Bicycle 27.5" 30mm wide rims
    12k glossy weave
    Chris King Classic hubs
    Sapim Race spokes
    Sapim Brass nipples

1522 grams.
    Did you order the complete wheel set from LIght Bicycle or did you deal with a wheel builder locally? And we're all ears if you want to post a review of how these wheels compare to the stock one on the AA1.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    Giant lists them as weighing 1655g, so they really arent bad. They just need the 36t star racket mod done to them.
    I did the mod and I'm really enjoying the wheels, and bike! The giant wheels are a great value.
    ​Peace and Health -James

It's about showing up.
    Did you order the complete wheel set from LIght Bicycle or did you deal with a wheel builder locally? And we're all ears if you want to post a review of how these wheels compare to the stock one on the AA1.
    As I have shared in another post, I have had problems with spokes pulling a bulge in the rim when they were built so they have not been used.

I just wanted to share the data.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    As I have shared in another post, I have had problems with spokes pulling a bulge in the rim when they were built so they have not been used.

I just wanted to share the data.
    I have a buddy that had the same problem with two rims from LB. He got about 2 months of regular riding on each rim. Another buddy of mine had a rim blow up after a year of heavy use. The new LB rims are identical to the roval beadless hoops...
    ​Peace and Health -James

It's about showing up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HighAltitudeNaturals View Post
    I have a buddy that had the same problem with two rims from LB. He got about 2 months of regular riding on each rim. Another buddy of mine had a rim blow up after a year of heavy use. The new LB rims are identical to the roval beadless hoops...
    Were they build by LB, a shop, or by himself?
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Were they build by LB, a shop, or by himself?
    All three of the wheels were built at a shop that has an excellent wheel building program. They use spoke prep and measure spoke tension with the park tool and map out the spoke tension using the park tool software.
    ​Peace and Health -James

It's about showing up.
    LB is claiming that my wheel builder is the only one with the bulge problem.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    I think I'm gonna break my wheelset down this weekend and get an accurate weight for them. I just saw a post with a CrossMax Slr showing 1560 as the actual weight for the 27.5 model. If the stocks are anywhere near the rated 1655, I'm not going to spend $800 for the Mavics to save less than 100 grams.
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5 1
    RaceFace NEXT SL cranks-34t
    SRAM X01 11-spd and Industry 9 Ultralite wheels coming soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I should hopefully have the Giant P-XCR0 wheels here in about 2 weeks. someone said something about the CK hubs, the Giant 0 and 1 both use DT Swiss hubs, I put the 36T star in my 1 wheels and love it. The new 0 wheels already come with it installed.

With the wheels, tires and cassette I am putting on the bike I will be dropping almost a pound from the bike. Should make for a nice difference while on the trail.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    Nice upgrade! My buddy has the Anthem Advanced 0 which came with those wheels are they are pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

I was looking at the Giant website and they advertise the p-xcr1 as having the 36T included (in the Gear section). Yet the wheels on my AA1 had the 16T. I got mine in November as they were coming out. Maybe the later batches already have the ratchet upgrade?

It's about showing up.
    I was looking at the Giant website and they advertise the p-xcr1 as having the 36T included (in the Gear section). Yet the wheels on my AA1 had the 16T. I got mine in November as they were coming out. Maybe the later batches already have the ratchet upgrade?
    My AA1 came in November with the same wheels as yours. I'm not crazy abut the engagement but they are stiff and true.
    I don't rattle.

It's about showing up.
    I think I'm gonna break my wheelset down this weekend and get an accurate weight for them. I just saw a post with a CrossMax Slr showing 1560 as the actual weight for the 27.5 model. If the stocks are anywhere near the rated 1655, I'm not going to spend $800 for the Mavics to save less than 100 grams.

If you think of it please post your data at a thread I started in the Wheels and Tires Forum for gathering such info:

List Light Bicycle and hub weights here, please.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got my AA1 in 10/2013 and they had the 18T ratchet as well, I love the 36T ratchet. I went thru the hub when I put mine in and increased the spring tension just a bit. Engages perfectly and has a nice growl to it now as well.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    So anyone have an opinion on how well the Ibis 741 wheelset would work on the Anthem?

Same weight at the stock Aluminum wheelset, but super wide and stiffer (I'm assuming). Not available until June. Plus the price isn't such that I end up sobbing quietly in a dark room.

I was thinking this plus the 2.35" Nobby Nics w/ Snakeskin for a good set of monster-truck wheels. I just don't know if that would fit without rubbing.

It's about showing up.
    Got my Light Bicycle/Chris King wheels on the Anthem Advance 1. The steering is quicker, the wheels dig-in in front more on the turns. Pretty clear improvement over a decent wheel, the PXC1. It is really nice to get back that CK quick engagement, too.

So, weight savings of about 4-6 oz, stiffer, quicker, better engagement and they look really cool to boot! FYI, Cyclemonkey will do these for about $1500.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got my Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1, my review...-eimg_2227.jpg  

I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    Nice! Did the issue w/ the rim bulge get resolved?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast