mtbr member
    Mar 2012

A good value here?

Hi guys, looking to upgrade from my 2015 Giant Trance 2 27.5.

How does this build set look for this $$?

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/s...NhdDEwMDE1Nw==

I ride a variety of NJ terrain.

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I first looked at and rode the SC 5010 and loved it.. The VPP climbs exceptionally well with little pedal bob. I was dead set on getting the 5010, and then I rode an Intense Spider 275c... WOW. Still has VPP linkage just like the Santa Cruz..(intense licensed it from SC) I was looking at the lowest spec 5010 with alum frame and RS recon fork, and no dropper... Ended up getting a CF Spider with a RS Pike fork and RS reverb dropper for $400 more than the low end 5010..

I found this Spider that is a pro build with same fork and shock and 1x11 with RF carbon crankset for about $800 less than the CARBON CC XT 5010 you listed.

https://www.artscyclery.com/descpage...xoCdUQQAvD_BwE

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDobber04 View Post
    I first looked at and rode the SC 5010 and loved it.. The VPP climbs exceptionally well with little pedal bob. I was dead set on getting the 5010, and then I rode an Intense Spider 275c... WOW. Still has VPP linkage just like the Santa Cruz..(intense licensed it from SC) I was looking at the lowest spec 5010 with alum frame and RS recon fork, and no dropper... Ended up getting a CF Spider with a RS Pike fork and RS reverb dropper for $400 more than the low end 5010..

I found this Spider that is a pro build with same fork and shock and 1x11 with RF carbon crankset for about $800 less than the CARBON CC XT 5010 you listed.

https://www.artscyclery.com/descpage...xoCdUQQAvD_BwE
    Thanks for sharing. Thatís an impressive bike and a great blowout sale. Lots to think about. The Spider is a highly regarded bike and thatís an amazing price.

If I can ask, whatís been your experience with your Spider?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you're interested in the 5010 I would recommend signing up with Active Junky. 8% back on that would be nice.

I'm a used buyer though. Ridiculous deals pop up on ebay or CL often enough. Don't know your trails so I can't recommend anything.

That and demo bikes are always a tempting opportunity.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I have a spider also. They rock, super fast, stiff and quick turning. It's like a 5010 on cocaine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    i say go to a bike shop that has it and demo it. thats the only way you will know if its right for you

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by merk20 View Post
    i say go to a bike shop that has it and demo it. thats the only way you will know if its right for you
    Definitely agree but the very limited shops in my area in NJ donít have this bike. Would have to take a leap of faith that if it was that bad then Iíd need to sell it.

I canít imagine a Large size (Iím 5í11Ē, 195, 51 yo) would be too bad

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You or anyone ever buy a bike on eBay or CL? Experience ok?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've bought a ton of bikes on CL, never had an issue. Make sure to look closely for damage though, I always flashlight the welds to check for cracks. Always fun to negotiate.

Just bought a '17 Kona Process 153 on Ebay last month. Arrived in great shape, smoking deal. Just make sure they have some ebay history. I don't buy from new 0 sales accounts. And Always make your first bid in the last 10 seconds unless it's a buy it now. No sense in alerting other bidders of your interest.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rides View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Thatís an impressive bike and a great blowout sale. Lots to think about. The Spider is a highly regarded bike and thatís an amazing price.

If I can ask, whatís been your experience with your Spider?

I absolutely love my Spider. I test rode Camber, Process 134, Fuelís, stance&trance, 5010, and several others. The Spider just felt completely natural being on it for me. Climbs great and decents are a blast. Like having the rear travel being adjustable from 115 to 130 without the bikes geometry being effected. I ride the 115 on the tamer trails and bump it to 130 when the trails require it.