Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 51
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    271

    Good Place to buy Schwalbe 650B Tires


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    thanks! that's weird that they have the nobby nick already when i emailed schwalbe us they said it wasnt in production yet
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    My local craigslist has RaRa for sale. A few made giant purchases and saved on shipping then turned around to make a few bucks. The boxes indicate they came from the shop listed in the first post.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    nice...those are good to come by
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    94
    not only that, the bobby nic's they have is snake skin protected.

    going against allot of what we've heard about availability... allot sooner.

    G

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    94
    ques #1, whats the Pace Star compound, whats it's claim to fame.

    ques #2, whats this EVO they talk about, what does it do for me?

    ques #2, the Hans Damph seems to have both Evo and snake skin, where is this tyre thread good for,

    G

  7. #7
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    948
    Snake Skin is their sidewall protection, the walls are reinforced. EVO is their top of the line rubber made of 3 different compounds, while the Performance line is just 2 but of course quite a lot cheaper.

    Pace Star is about the softness of the rubber being this one geared to XC, there is also the Trail Star and Super Gravity available in 650b flavour.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    94
    Hi Daniel

    Thanks for the response, appreciated.

    You mention Pace Star is about the softness, and the continue onto Trail Star and Super Gravity, which is the softest and hardest? guessing Pace Star = Hard, going softer to the Super Gravity that wants a soft grippy tyre.

    G

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    271
    I picked up a couple of the Rocket Rons. The prices are good if you ask me.

    From the Schwalbe literature, you will find that "PaceStar" is their top compound for XC use..I'm guesiing "TrailStar" is the top compund for trail use.

    I have always run the PaceStar (previously EVO) Rocket Rons and Racing Ralphs with great success. They are great tires but they don't last that long...but, what do you expect at 490 grams!

    COMPOUNDS

    Triple Star Compound: Our best and most sophisticated compound. Triple compound. Perfectly adapted to the specific purpose. MTB (GateStar, PaceStar, TrailStar, VertStar), Roadrace (RaceStar, WetStar), Tour (RoadStar, TravelStar).

  10. #10
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    948
    No compound will be the "hard" one because due to the 3 compound manufacturing each tire will have 3 grades of softness depending on what section of the tire we are talking about, but yeah the Pace Star will use the harder rubber.
    The Super Gravity is their new heavy duty Enduro tire, they're similar to the Downhill single ply tires but they're only single ply on the sidewalls and they're still double ply on the middle, making them with tough sidewalls but still compliant.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

  11. #11
    dirtbag
    Reputation: ranier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,435
    Cool, been wanting to try another tire other than the usual suspects (Nevegal. Pacenti, RaRa) and at decent prices for Schwalbe.
    Amolan

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,039
    I keep looking for a better tire (for my trails) than the Neo Moto 2.1, but have yet to find one that has traction, doesn't weigh a ton (like my NM 2.3), seals up tubeless super easy and doesn't have leaky sidewalls. Since the NM 2.1 replaced my RaRa 2.25 the trails have been getting hammered by my bike with some mad fury!

    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Cool, been wanting to try another tire other than the usual suspects (Nevegal. Pacenti, RaRa) and at decent prices for Schwalbe.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Price is really amazing IMO (at least by US standards) and below dealer cost here in the US where a regular HD is about $50.

    Group some friends together to save on shipping charges and you end up with a nice Schwalbe tire for under $50. Sweet!
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  14. #14
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    that was a sweet deal thanks for the link, hopefully they don't take forever to get here, if I judged the conversion right less than $60 per tire shipped. I bought two Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 650B x 2,35" TL-Ready folding,
    I see they had two listed that looked Identical unless I missed something
    Stoked
    I've been inside too long.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    271
    Quote Originally Posted by KgB View Post
    that was a sweet deal thanks for the link, hopefully they don't take forever to get here, if I judged the conversion right less than $60 per tire shipped. I bought two Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 650B x 2,35" TL-Ready folding,
    I see they had two listed that looked Identical unless I missed something
    Stoked
    One is "TrailStar" compound, the other is "PaceStar" compound

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: foofighter275's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    153
    i'm glad i bookmarked this thread because trying to understand all the stuff that schwalbe has for their various compounds and builds it gets your head spinning.
    Custom Built Caletti Steel Road Bike
    2012 Jamis Nemesis 650b

    Terminal Pholocity

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    94
    hehehe, and i'll gladly ask the questions others want to know, but never ask...

    G

    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter275 View Post
    i'm glad i bookmarked this thread because trying to understand all the stuff that schwalbe has for their various compounds and builds it gets your head spinning.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter275 View Post
    i'm glad i bookmarked this thread because trying to understand all the stuff that schwalbe has for their various compounds and builds it gets your head spinning.
    Page 18 and 19
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en_scrip...5?dateiID=4712

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    81
    I ordered four Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin TrailStar 650B x 2,35" TL-Ready folding tires tonight. They came to less than $200 including shipping. I'll post again once they arrive.

  20. #20
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    [QUOTE=KgB;9819451]that was a sweet deal thanks for the link, hopefully they don't take forever to get here, if I judged the conversion right less than $60 per tire shipped. I bought two Hans Dampf Evo Snake Skin PaceStar 650B x 2,35" TL-Ready folding,
    I see they had two listed that looked Identical unless I missed something
    Stoked[/QUOTE

    Well they came super fast and super cheap, mounted up tubeless great, they seem to be the same size as the nevegal, they replaced

    Super Stoked
    I've been inside too long.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    271
    Yes I got mine as well, now if only the ground wasn't covered in SNOW!

  22. #22
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by skyak View Post
    Yes I got mine as well, now if only the ground wasn't covered in SNOW!
    come on out to Fruita I will be trying mine out at lunchtime
    I've been inside too long.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    271
    Damn You!

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Darn you guys that have your new tires. Mine and another guys seem to be stuck in German customs (or American customs in Germany) with no updates since Oct. 30th. Went ffrom DHL to a USPS # and now zippo. Frustrating for sure and now we have 5" of snow on the ground.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    627
    27.5 versions of Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic are now available for purchase in the US. No Hans Dampf yet.

    27 1/2", 650B | Schwalbe North America
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    27.5 versions of Rocket Ron and Nobby Nic are now available for purchase in the US. No Hans Dampf yet.

    27 1/2", 650B | Schwalbe North America
    Their prices are a daylight robbery. $90/tire? You can get them for half that directly from Europe.

  27. #27
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Their prices are a daylight robbery. $90/tire? You can get them for half that directly from Europe.
    Wacky low prices in Europe don't make their regular prices daylight robbery. That's what everyone's going to be selling them for here.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    627
    The price on the Schwalbe site is MSRP

    You'll likely find retailers selling them for around $65. Then again if people are buying outside the US due to popularity then you may see prices higher to meet demand???
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Dealer cost for the Schwalbe's in the US is approx $50. In bulk maybe $45. Basically you can get em from Europe for a US dealers cost. Brutal industry in so may ways and especially for the small shops.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    8
    Ordered my Nobby Nic 650b 10-27-12 from BIKE-DISCOUNT and DHL showed up yesterday...

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by watisma View Post
    Ordered my Nobby Nic 650b 10-27-12 from BIKE-DISCOUNT and DHL showed up yesterday...
    This is killing me with my delayed shipment

    Please mount em up and get a diameter measurement for us . Thanks
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  32. #32
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,015
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    This is killing me with my delayed shipment

    Please mount em up and get a diameter measurement for us . Thanks
    my unofficial test showed them to be around the same size as a nevegal, they seem to roll faster for sure, similiar all around to the 29er version although I expected a higher volume tire.
    I am a happy camper with them,They set up easily on stans flow rims tubeless. way happier than the nevegal/ crossmark setup I was running
    I've been inside too long.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    81

    Hans Dampf's just arrived from Germany

    Just got my 4 tires today...2 weeks from Germany to the USA...pretty fast. The cost was $190.05 delivered to my door...$47.52 per tire.

    The four tires range in weight:
    1 @ 790g
    2 @ 820g
    1 @ 830g

    Claimed weight is 795g...so pretty close.

    Waiting on my new frame, fork and wheels...can't wait to ride these

    Here's pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Wheelman55; 11-13-2012 at 02:10 PM.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jazzanova's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,543
    I just got some NN & RR from Germany. Took about 2-3 weeks.
    2 x RR - 2.25 650b EVO TLR Race Star Compound 545g and 529g
    1 x NN - 2.35 650b EVO TLR Race Star Compound Snakeskin 705g

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    64
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Darn you guys that have your new tires. Mine and another guys seem to be stuck in German customs (or American customs in Germany) with no updates since Oct. 30th. Went ffrom DHL to a USPS # and now zippo. Frustrating for sure and now we have 5" of snow on the ground.
    If you are ordering from Bike-Discount.DE Put your shipping number in at usps.com to check the status. Once they leave Germany they are normally in the USPS system.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by tesxyz View Post
    If you are ordering from Bike-Discount.DE Put your shipping number in at usps.com to check the status. Once they leave Germany they are normally in the USPS system.
    Ordered them from r2-bike on the 25th of Oct. Trust me I've been plugging in that tracking # a few times a day. The woman at the PO told me sometimes they get hung up in customs for up to 30 days.

    Well, there is finally good news though. The package scanned through NJ yesterday and now it's scanned again in my state of MA. Should be tomorrow or the next and I'll finally have em.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  37. #37
    dirtbag
    Reputation: ranier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,435
    Took a while...I finally got the box for my order from bike-discount.de. Bought a pair of Rocket Rons and Nobby Nics, already had a pair or RaRas I got from fleabay. Been cold and dreary to spoon these on, so no riding impressions here.
    Amolan

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by ranier View Post
    Took a while...I finally got the box for my order from bike-discount.de. Bought a pair of Rocket Rons and Nobby Nics, already had a pair or RaRas I got from fleabay. Been cold and dreary to spoon these on, so no riding impressions here.
    2 rides now on my new NN and

    These things measure close to 28" tall, seem fast, roll very well and grip rocks really good. Bike just feels very zippy with these tires. I was a bit bummed when I flatted after 30 minutes on my first ride running 27psi with tubes (have never flatted my Neo Motos running that). I bumped them to 30psi and no further issue so far but the ride is a bit firmer. I imagine running these tubeless with pressure in the low to mid 20's would be amazing. Right now I'm hesitant to do it as I'm not sure how the sealant deals with cold and evening rides are now getting into the low 30 degree range. Anyone care to answer that question? So very happy so far although it might be nice to try a HD on the front at some point.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  39. #39
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    2 rides now on my new NN and

    These things measure close to 28" tall, seem fast, roll very well and grip rocks really good. Bike just feels very zippy with these tires. I was a bit bummed when I flatted after 30 minutes on my first ride running 27psi with tubes (have never flatted my Neo Motos running that). I bumped them to 30psi and no further issue so far but the ride is a bit firmer. I imagine running these tubeless with pressure in the low to mid 20's would be amazing. Right now I'm hesitant to do it as I'm not sure how the sealant deals with cold and evening rides are now getting into the low 30 degree range. Anyone care to answer that question? So very happy so far although it might be nice to try a HD on the front at some point.
    Good to hear you are happy with them. I would love to test if/how they (don't) fit on my bike. We gotta meet again soon!

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by StiHacka View Post
    Good to hear you are happy with them. I would love to test if/how they (don't) fit on my bike. We gotta meet again soon!
    Think these things are spoiling me and going for another ride tonight. Just hope they show the durability my Neo's have given me.

    We could meet tomorrow if you're gonna be at work....and I'm still out of
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  41. #41
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,895
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Think these things are spoiling me and going for another ride tonight. Just hope they show the durability my Neo's have given me.

    We could meet tomorrow if you're gonna be at work....and I'm still out of
    I think I will be working from home tomorrow. Roads are going to turn into a crazyville, I do not have the nerves to deal with the influx of holiday drivers any more.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: reformed roadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,570
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Just hope they show the durability my Neo's have given me.

    There is the issue...Neos are durable, but not the softest, stickiest rubber.
    I find the shallower treaded RaRa I have grips better on wet rocks / roots because of it.
    Tires are almost always a compromise...

    I wish the Neo, if still made by Panaracer, would be available in their SC or Combo rubber compounds. The tread design is really good and deserves it.

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    64
    Just switched over to some Hans Dampfs (HaDas?) for the rainy season here. After two rides I can say I am hooked. Yes they are slower than the RaRas, but that was expected. I have always been a fan of unidirectional tires and these puppies hook up on the front and rear in all sorts of conditions. I did ride the Neo Motos a little, but the HaDas feel better to me and seem to have better climbing traction on the rear. I would rank the HaDas and NeMo at about the same rolling speed, and still a little faster than the Neve.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    627
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Think these things are spoiling me and going for another ride tonight. Just hope they show the durability my Neo's have given me.
    :
    The nobby nic tire is not very durable at all as a rear tire. I go through 2 or 3 a year on a bike i only ride once or twice a week. Ymmv

    They are exceptional tires as grip, comfort, and speed are excellent. I prefer them to racing ralphs in my terrain but a ralph can last me all season if not more
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,167
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    The nobby nic tire is not very durable at all as a rear tire. I go through 2 or 3 a year on a bike i only ride once or twice a week. Ymmv

    They are exceptional tires as grip, comfort, and speed are excellent. I prefer them to racing ralphs in my terrain but a ralph can last me all season if not more
    Even a Snakeskin version which I have?

    Do they just wear fast or are they prone to weak sidewalls or something else?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

  46. #46
    Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,855
    Just did an 'order', and it came to $105 shipped to us for two Hand Dampf trail star 2.35's....

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 69erEverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    627
    Snakeskin is awesome and the sidewalls are very strong. The center knobs are what wear the fastest. The side knobs hold up well enough. They also weap Stan's more than any tire I run and I think that is because of all the open area between the knobs.

    So yes they wear very fast. The Hans Dampf wears fast as well but that is expected with that sticky of a tread.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: krispy@go-ride.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,001
    Hans Dampf in 2.35 SS and Super Gravity just showed up at out shop today! Hit me up if you need some.
    Santa Cruz Bronson 2 27.5/Rockshox Pike/Sram XX1
    Salsa Mukluk/Rockshox Bluto/Sram X1

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,529
    On the Bike-Discount website the HD tires prices went up just in the last day. Dang it. Still cheaper than here but if I had bought yesterday I would've saved $8/tire. Still, many prices on their other goods are very low. Nice.

    Is the Racing Ralph very much an XC tire? It looks like it'd be a fast rolling tire but the treads like pretty low profile and, hence, prone to fast wear and less traction for AM use. But I'm only going by pictures as I've never seen one in person.

    Also, why the variances in weight for the same tire? I can see 5-10 grams but 40 grams? That's a bit much!
    We Ride In God's Country!

  50. #50
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,131
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    Is the Racing Ralph very much an XC tire? It looks like it'd be a fast rolling tire but the treads like pretty low profile and, hence, prone to fast wear and less traction for AM use. But I'm only going by pictures as I've never seen one in person.
    The thin and non-SS sidewall won't take heavy AM abuse. On their website, Schwalbe says, "This is an out and out competition tire! Puncture protection and durability are limited!" The exclamation points show they mean it ... or just that they're German.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •