mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Giant Stance 2 27.5 (Need Help)

Hey everyone, so lately I've done a few trail rides at my local bike park on my dads old Giant Yukon. Unsurprisingly, Yesterday it broke and now I'm looking at purchasing a new bike. The trails I do are mostly downhill, decent sized jumps and a few gnarly rock gardens and the old Yukon has finally given its way on the Black Diamond run. I am new to the sport but have done my research and am from a BMX and MX background so the jumps and speed doesn't phase me as much and I've managed to link MTB and MX finding that both sports are very similar and require similar body position and technique, Hence being quite decent for a "beginner". So now I have been looking at purchasing a new bike and firstly come across the Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er hardtail AUD$1100, although I'd much prefer a full suspension. So I found myself in my local Giant retailer, the cheapest full suspension they had was the Giant Stance 2 27.5 2017 (AUD $1800, %20 off special) the bike looks super nice and seems to check all the boxes for my budget; which was originally $1100...Whoops. Anyway I would love to hear what everyone thinks of the Giant Stance 2, if you have owned, rode or know stories of the Stance 2 please let me know. The bike doesn't necessarily have to be the most comfortable ride but has to be reliable enough not to break casing jumps/drop offs etc. Cheers, Jay

EDIT: Bike brands are a little bit more limited here in Australia and mostly consist of Trek, Specialized and Giant...

mtbr member
    Look there are two options:

1) All the people who have written down their experiences with the Giant Stance in several dedicated threads inside the Giant forum at mtbr (surprise surprise...) come over here and write all that again just for you...

or

2) ...you navigate to the Giant forum and start reading the Giant Stance threads:

Giant Stance??

Giant Stance - Post your mods, pics and specs

mtbr member
    the Stance is nice BUT, when it comes to jumps, it all depends on how big and whats the landing like. if youre bottoming out a lot, the frame is going to take a beating and will fail eventually

id look into something like the Giant Reign if you plan to ride med size jumps a lot

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Stance is on the shorter travel end of the spectrum as far as trail bikes go. If you're hitting a lot of bigger jumps and big drops the trance 3 will be better for what you're looking for

mtbr member
    Just get a used trance.

I like the stance, but its a more casual bike. If you have nasty rock gardens and jumps, go straight for the trance.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Other people recommend the Trance..maybe you'd like it, but I found it a bit boring actually. I don't own a Stance, but once demoed one and it just felt a lot snappier and more fun to me.. To each his own I guess. Anyway, I'd see what they could do for you with the Stance 1.. Sram1x11, dropper post and fox 34. That's a great deal, but I don't know if it's specced different where you are. Demo what you can.. Trance, Stance and whatever else. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    Other people recommend the Trance..maybe you'd like it, but I found it a bit boring actually. I don't own a Stance, but once demoed one and it just felt a lot snappier and more fun to me.. To each his own I guess. Anyway, I'd see what they could do for you with the Stance 1.. Sram1x11, dropper post and fox 34. That's a great deal, but I don't know if it's specced different where you are. Demo what you can.. Trance, Stance and whatever else. Good luck.
    I agree, the stance 1 is snappier than the trance and is a more lively ride for anything but going downhill. The stance is great for all around riding and is more than capable of doing jumps and drops but nothing too crazy. I think with volume spacers added that it would handle most of the jumps and drops 90% of riders could throw at it

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Cheers everyone for the info, Im still not 100% sure what I want but I have been looking at the Trance 3, Scott Genius 750 and the Norco fluid FS 7.2. The Giant and Scott are around $2300 and $2400 while the Norco I can get for $1700. I just thought it might be worth spending the extra $$ if it will be a better ride and more reliable.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolson59 View Post
    Cheers everyone for the info, Im still not 100% sure what I want but I have been looking at the Trance 3, Scott Genius 750 and the Norco fluid FS 7.2. The Giant and Scott are around $2300 and $2400 while the Norco I can get for $1700. I just thought it might be worth spending the extra $$ if it will be a better ride and more reliable.
    I see your budget is expanding..oops, haha. That's good. Consider what your highest amount is and go from there..you're opening up so many more great options. Are you definitely buying local or are you willing to buy online ? Just asking because companies like jenson usa and competitive cyclist have some good deals..

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mannyfnz View Post
    I see your budget is expanding..oops, haha. That's good. Consider what your highest amount is and go from there..you're opening up so many more great options. Are you definitely buying local or are you willing to buy online ? Just asking because companies like jenson usa and competitive cyclist have some good deals..
    Aha yep my wallet isn't happy with me. I was looking at buying local but if the same bike is going to be cheaper I wouldn't mind. Saying that though, I live in Australia and can't imagine the bikes will be too much cheaper considering shipping is usually quite expensive. I will have a look online though, might save me some $$

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    good suggestion on the valume spacers. Ive been riding my Stance 1 here in Oklahoma for about a year now. it handles the variety of stuff here fairly well. and is a lively rig. but tends to go through the fork travel a lot. but none the less a good steed to ride.

mtbr member
    Stance is an entry level full suspension. The other three are much more capable of how you plan on riding.