mtbr member
    Feb 2018

Smile Giant ATX 27.5 fork/breaks upgrade

Hi,

I am very happy with my current bike, do not have a budget to go for a FS and I do not care much about bike weight (my weight is 74 Kg), however after some time road/mtb some bits and pieces might need a change so I am in the process of doing upgrades. I am focusing on important upgrades. I have done so far:

• New Tyres (Maxxis tyres High Roller II EXO, 2.40 front/ Maxxis Ardent 2.25 EXO rear)
    • New wheelset nukeproof with shimano SLX hubs
    • Chester flat pedals
    • New handlebar 760mm and rise 20 mm/stem 50mm
    • New grips

Currently only have my tyres installed and I can feel a huge difference. As soon as I get the pedals on, it will also be a game changer too (mtb). Wheelset was basically to go tubeless (my current rims are not capable). Handlebar it is very narrow thus was a most upgrade too. I am waiting to wear of my drive train. (Bit heavy but i dont mind better exercise at the end).

During the last few months I am diving into mtb and I really enjoyed. I am learning a lot on mtb (skills) and I just dont see the point of just dump my money into a FS (not yet), plus I will need to get more exp and save some money before going into the transition, plus absorbing bumps here and there is quite fun in my hardtail.

There are two other major upgrades I really need to do (new fork and better brakes). Here are my questions:

My current suntour has 100mm travel, it is rusty and its not performing well neither. I would like to upgrade for a 140mm which I have seen in a few posts is a straight and big NO. I would to put into consideration two points that might be change that NO. Im 1.87 cms tall, weight as per above 74 Kg, and have a XL frame. If its a no, which options will be good for a good 120mm fork?

Bottom of this link you can see all geometrics of my bike:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/atx-27dot5-2-2015

On the other hand breaks they are not really breaking much when I am going downhill, so I am upgrading to a SLX breaking system. I do not mind weight so I will go for big rotors too 180mm R/200mm or perhaps 180mm both tyres.

What would you guys will advise? Based on budget/efficiency?

Pd: Pardon for the long post but I believe it all depends on budget/context/situation.

All comments are welcome =)

Sneaker man
    your hieght doesnt amke any difference to the length of fork you run, its the geometry of the frame. Going longer changesthe head tube angle (among other things) which may make it handle wonky (you may love how it handles though) plus going 40mm longer places undue stress onthe head tube, while it's unlikely it will snap the frame, if i does, well I told you so..
    rotor size, the weight factor isn't an issue (theres not much difference between 16/180/200) but what will fit and what the fork and frame are designed to take, both fitting wise and stress wise. It is quite possible that the frame wont take anything bigger than 160mm and 200 on the fork could give all sorts of twisting that will just give headaches and be shit.

I would say gt a good 100mm fork, maybe a 120, then whatever fork you get go with the max rotor size they specify for the fork and then just stay at 160 for the frame. you'll find that going from tektro mech to slx hydros should be a bit of a step up, even staying at 160 forthe fram
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Thank you for your response. It makes sense about rotors and fork. I would go for a 120mm fork and I will make sure about rotor max allowance. I was keen to buy a whole 1x11 groupset of slx for around 550 NZD. However, I am a bit concern about width frame in the rear. (Casette might not fit at all) Based on my current allowance of only fitting a 2.25 tyre, maybe 2.30 not sure.

I may get a better discount purchasing the whole groupset rather than break system only. I understand the consequences of going 1x11 (less gears / no suitable for road / less top speed).

I currently have the stock cassete which is a Shimano TZ31 14x34, 7-speed freewheel. Do you guys think I will be able to fit in 1x11 set up?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sun tour has a fork upgrade program. I would not put more than a 120 fork on that bike. Just drop into your local bike shop and tell them you want to upgrade it and go to 120mm. That will be the cheapest path. Slx brakes are fantastic but eventually the pads wear out on all brakes and need replaced. You will breaks that frame if you try to do five foot drops on it. You may also consider something like a giant fathom. It is geared more towards trail riding and comes with all those upgrades. You could upgrade the frame to fs down the road if you wanted to. That is the way I would go if spending a grand.

Sneaker man
    Does New Zealand Suntour have the upgrade program? There are lots of things that happen in the US that don't happen in the rest of the world.

AN 11 speed cassette should fit but...

To be honest as party_wagon said, at this point you're probably better off upgrading to a new bike rather than upgrading this one.

And I love how in my previous post I fixed all the typos before posting, but the autosave "fixed" it for me, grrrrr.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by party_wagon View Post
    You may also consider something like a giant fathom. It is geared more towards trail riding and comes with all those upgrades. You could upgrade the frame to fs down the road if you wanted to. That is the way I would go if spending a grand.
    Totally agree. I have the Fathom and my wife has the ATX 2. We replaced the pedals, the fork through the upgrade program, the tires (one from my Fathom), and the old bars from my Fathom...and that's it. If she out grows that setup we'll buy another bike. The frame isn't as burly as the Fathom and if you need a 140mm fork then you need something other than the ATX. Same thing with the brakes, if you need 200mm rotors you're on the wrong bike.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    AN 11 speed cassette should fit but...
    On a 7spd freehub? Probably not.

+1 for switching bikes

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    On a 7spd freehub? Probably not.

+1 for switching bikes
    All the threads i've been reading around the place, people keep saying 7,8,9,10,11 all fit on the same freehub. But thats why I said should, not would...but I'm happy to be corrected as I could be completely wrong.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Giant ATX 27.5 fork/breaks upgrade

Looking at the specs, its a 7-speed freewheel, not a freehub. On your new rear wheel, did you get a hub with a freehub, or did you set it up for the freewheel?

PS I agree with the others that you are likely better off buying a better bike, rather than upgrading an entry level bike. However, you may be able to use a number of parts to a new bike in the future. If you do want to upgrade this one, Iíd look for used parts, rather than buying new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    All the threads i've been reading around the place, people keep saying 7,8,9,10,11 all fit on the same freehub. But thats why I said should, not would...but I'm happy to be corrected as I could be completely wrong.
    Just to clarify what I was thinking originally, the 11sp should fit the frame, can't think why it wouldn't but you never know. The 11 may or may not fir the 7sp hub, but if its a freewheel just mentioned, then no...but we're talking about SLX hub, so 11sp should fit that.
    Been out watching my GF do here 1st triathlon, too much sun, not enough sleep,my head is broken.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Freehub or freewheel - I used the wrong word, but according to the link provided it's a freewheel. That's a no go...but my brain must be broken since I missed the upgrade to SLX wheelset. What's going on here? Thanks, Obama.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    It does look from the above posts and the specs page that you're in a bind when it comes to this new wheelset, as you probably can't run it with your 7sp gearing. This may therefore be your more immediate concern.

Also check that the new wheelset will actually fit into your frame/fork.

Bikes are a compatibility nightmare these days unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Unless you are buying used, by the time you spend the money on all these upgrades, you are almost at a new bike. I donít think your SLX wheelset is compatible with a freewheel, so you are going to have to do something.
    Last edited by grubetown; 02-11-2018 at 05:32 PM.