mtbr member
    Mar 2018

GG Shred dog, Evil Insurgent, or Rollik 557?

Iím looking for a playful do it all bike. Iíve narrowed it down to these three. Both the Shred dog and Insurgent seem like a better fit size wise.
    The 557 comes in only large, which seems like a bit of a gamble, but best price with best spec. Not really sure how playful the Insurgent is. The GG seems almost perfect aside being a bit heavy. Unfortunately there is none of these bicycles in my area so Iím making a purchase without riding. I have demoed a medium Evil Following, it was pretty badass Iím just not into 29ers. Open to any recommendations or suggestions, thanks.

mtbr member
    I ordered a GG Smash [which is the same frame as the Shred Dogg with a swap of seat stays].

GG Shred Dog [Med] = 7.78lbs
    Evil Insurgent [Lrg] = 7.41lbs

The medium SD is a bigger bike than the Lrg Evil based on Reach and is 0.37lbs heavier in Al vs. carbon. Not much of a weight differential. Both weights are frame + RS reservoir air shock.

One nice thing about the GG vs. the Evil is the adjustable geo on the GG is a single bolt vs. 10 [I think] for the Evil. So it's something you can actually use regularly with minimal hassle.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I spoke with reps from both GG and Evil and they both recommended medium size based on my 5í9.5 height and their complete geometry. With that being said, I didnít realize the weights were that close. Coming off a 35lb Diamondback Iím trying to achieve a complete build at 30 or under. I do like the fact that the GG is easier to switch travel and hta. Thanks vik.

mtbr member
    GG = 1 bolt to change geometry.

Evil = 1o bolts to change geometry.

My Shred Dogg absolutely rails. I have no regrets whatsoever.

I've been mountain biking for over 30 years and have never ridden such a fast and fun bike. Ever.

Just be warned that if you get a Shred Dogg you'll be jonesing to ride all day, every day.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Haha thanks Curve, that puts a big grin on my face. What size tires are you rolling on?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeder View Post
    Haha thanks Curve, that puts a big grin on my face. What size tires are you rolling on?
    Currently 2.35 Maxxis. I'd like to try some wider treads though.

You can run up to a 2.8 on the Shred Dogg, but I'd likely go with a 2.6.

You can even run 29ers on the Shred Dogg if they're not too wide.

It's an extremely cool bike.

Guerrilla Gravity | Shred Dogg | Info, Geometry, and Specs

mtbr member
    I built up an Evil Insurgent over the winter and man the bike is so fun. Its playful and loves to pop off of bonus features and jumps, yet it's crazy stable at high speed. It manuals easier than any other bike I've owned. I just set a PR up a particular steep and rocky climb so its no slouch in the climbing department. The delta suspension is awesome. When it comes to turns, the bike rails corners. I think having the rear shock weight low in the frame helps.

I plan to leave my geo in the low setting and only use extra low for park days, so a few bolts is no big deal. I'm running Maxxis 2.6" DRH2 front and 2.5" Aggressor rear, its a great combo with plenty of rear tire clearance. The total build came out to around 29.5 lbs with pedals.

The Shred Dogg looks like a ripper, you can't go wrong either way. I like the nuts storage and its cool that the frame takes a water bottle if you're into that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Don't forget with the GG shred dog you can buy a longer travel shock and boom you have the megatrail (150/165 rear travel).

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Itís down to two bikes now. GG/Evil. The 557 is no longer available, which is ok because I donít feel like the sizing/geo was right for me.
    Curveball, piersurf, did you happen to go with high end spec builds to achieve results?
    Suspension, wheels, and drivetrain is what Iím mostly curious about.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hey Keeder

Rollik rider here (and replied on the Rollik sizing other thread). Dont know you can go wrong with either of these. If i wasn't on a Rollik - i'd be on a GG full susser. I demoed the previous gen mega and current gen pistol. Great bikes and pedal surprisingly well that you dont notice the weight. I've ridden the Evils as well - really good bikes and the Insurgent is really really good. Just something about the GG bikes that draw me in - love that they are hand made here in CO and a bunch of rad riders that developed what you can buy. Also - the flexibility of buy one bike today, change a bolt, or shock or rear triangle - and bam - completely different second bike. Thats pretty cool plus its basically a full custom build opportunity.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the feedback so far. Itís down to two bikes now. GG/Evil. The 557 is no longer available, which is ok because I donít feel like the sizing/geo was right for me.
    Curveball, piersurf, did you happen to go with high end spec builds to achieve results?
    My Insurgent build has a Fox 36 160mm up front, Monarch rear, 1x11 XT drivetrain, XT brakes, Ibis carbon hoops on DT Swiss hubs, and the Maxxis WT tires.

Does GG do demo tours? It would be cool to see one in person and take it for a spin to see how it stacks up with the Evil. The thing I love most about my Insurgent is how poppy and fun it is while still being a beast downhill. It seems to reward aggressive riding. My previous favorite bike was a Knolly Endorphin but Evil turned the fun factor up to 11.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by piersurf View Post
    My Insurgent build has a Fox 36 160mm up front, Monarch rear, 1x11 XT drivetrain, XT brakes, Ibis carbon hoops on DT Swiss hubs, and the Maxxis WT tires.

Does GG do demo tours? It would be cool to see one in person and take it for a spin to see how it stacks up with the Evil. The thing I love most about my Insurgent is how poppy and fun it is while still being a beast downhill. It seems to reward aggressive riding. My previous favorite bike was a Knolly Endorphin but Evil turned the fun factor up to 11.
    GG does demo tours. That's how I found out about them and got to ride the Shred Dogg. One ride on it and I was completely hooked.

mtbr member
    My bike has XT drivetrain and brakes, the DT E1900 wheels, DVO Topaz shock, 9Point8 dropper, and MRP Ribbon Coil fork.

mtbr member
    Does GG do demo tours? It would be cool to see one in person and take it for a spin to see how it stacks up with the Evil.
    Contact GG they have demo bikes all over North America. Let 'em know what bike you are interested in, your general size and where you are located. They'll figure the closest demo opportunity for you.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Formerly PaintPeelinPbody
    Another vote for Shred Dog because it's both a Shred Dog, Megatrail and a Smash.

Also, it can fit 275x2.8 tires.
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The new Rollik 607 looks like it would a champ in a lot of situations however I'm unsure of the weight of the 3 builds they offer. An Insurgent update is due any day and would love to get my hands on each to demo.

Right now I'm looking at an Intense Recluse/Tracer, Mach 6, and the Rollik.

Does anyone have experience comparing any of these?
    Last edited by RockyRdWarrior; 04-03-2018 at 03:51 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thank for the responses so far. Iím going to do hit the Sea Otter Classic and hopefully find the bike Iím after there. So many good ones to choose from, itís enough to drive a man crazy! Gotta start riding em.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    SOLID!!! You should get a chance to see em all - Spot will be there as likely all the other bikes - no better way to figure it out than to get a leg over and hit a trail!

always licking the glass

GG Shred dog, Evil Insurgent, or Rollik 557?

Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    Another vote for Shred Dog because it's both a Shred Dog, Megatrail and a Smash.

Also, it can fit 275x2.8 tires.
    Another vote for the shred Dogg. Iíve had mine for a year now (first XS of the current generation).

It doesnít pedal like what I have mine built up as.

Iíve ridden it with both plus and non plus wheels and I like it with the 28 internal rims and 2.5 WT tires.

The bike absolutely rails. I use it for everyone from pump tracks, dirt jumps, and trails. Even for the occasional DH run itís fine. For that, just get a megatrail shock and rail it.
    Guerrilla Gravity BAMF, Colorado Front Range
    Writer, MTB4Her.

always licking the glass
    Thank for the responses so far. Iím going to do hit the Sea Otter Classic and hopefully find the bike Iím after there. So many good ones to choose from, itís enough to drive a man crazy! Gotta start riding em.
    Oh and ring up GG and them if they have a nearby BAMF. That might help too.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Just got my Shred Dogg yesterday. Versatility was key for me, price being another factor. I've got both sized rear shocks so I can travel with it, have fun at bike parks, on local singletrack, etc and always have the right bike for the situation. Can't wait to get it built and for the 4" of snow we got yesterday to go away! I'll probably provide updates and build photos on the GG forum in a couple days!
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

Bodhisattva
    FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, Evil stated weights include the headset and chainguide (which come with the bike).

I do love my Calling. I ride regularly with a friend who owns both a Megatrail and Trail Pistol and he's equally happy. I don't think you can go wrong.

I'm 5'9". Yes, definitely medium for the original poster. I demo'd my 6' friend's Calling and it felt huge to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    FWIW, if I'm not mistaken, Evil stated weights include the headset and chainguide (which come with the bike).
    I don't think Evil publishes weights on their website.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I actually think the Calling would be a better fit for the majority of the riding I do, but if I can get the Insurgent for over a thousand less and if itís almost as playful, it will be very high on my list.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I don't think Evil publishes weights on their website.
    You're right - my bad. I saw weights posted somewhere last fall when I was making my decision- maybe from one of the online retailers or in an article? I really can't recall.

My Calling weighs 32 lbs, but is build burly including 2.5 minions, Saint brakes, Cushcore in the tires, Pike w PUSH ACS3. I've seen Calling weights of 29 lb posted, but that wouldn't suit my needs.

My bud's Guerilla Gravity, without cushcore but with PUSH coil front/rear, is about a pound heavier than mine. But he's stronger and faster than me anyway, so I view that as an equalizer

I own a SC Nomad gen 3, and just parted with a Tallboy LTc. My take is that Evils are slightly heavier than some other carbon bikes for a given "niche", but also seem more stout. I'm guessing the weight is in the carbon layup and the multiple hardware pivot bolts. Still, it's lighter than the GG, but not significantly so - at least in this non-racer's humble opinion. I really don't care about a pound here or there. I can suffer the climbs and am more interested in downhill fun factor and durability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    The 607 will be one of the first I try at the Sea Otter.

Bodhisattva
    I actually think the Calling would be a better fit for the majority of the riding I do, but if I can get the Insurgent for over a thousand less and if itís almost as playful, it will be very high on my list.
    I've ridden my friend's Insurgent. Calling & Insurgent are more alike than different. As you might surmise:

Calling: easier to loft the front wheel. slightly more efficient climber. quicker handling

Insurgent: more stable going down. Extra travel is nice at times

I kept my Nomad for really burly days so wanted the Calling for change-up purposes, although Calling has become my daily driver.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Rocky road- I did a short demo on both the recluse pro and foundation tracer, trails werenít that burly or fast.
    They felt ok, no wow factor for me personally. The recluse can climb pretty steep chunk with ease though. With that being said, I did like the recluse over a lower spec 5010 and mojo 3 I that I demoed the same day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks Squeaky for that insight. Just curious, did the insurgent feel like your nomad suspension wise, or was quite noticeably more playful? Could you bunny hop over a decent sized obstacle if you had to?

Bodhisattva
    Thanks Squeaky for that insight. Just curious, did the insurgent feel like your nomad suspension wise, or was quite noticeably more playful? Could you bunny hop over a decent sized obstacle if you had to?
    Hard to say. My friend's insurgent is a large and I ride a medium so i was handicapped in that regard. Plus, his insurgent had an air shock and my Nomad a PUSH 11.6, so playing field not exactly equal. Hopping is no problem on my Calling, and I doubt it would be much different on the Insurgent (all other things equal)

always licking the glass
    One other note:
    Evil: super slack seat angles
    GG: super steep seat angles (especially in trail mode), so they will fit very differently
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    According to their websites, they appear very similar. But I did read somewhere that the gen 1 insurgent had a pretty slack sta.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GT Fatty View Post
    Just got my Shred Dogg yesterday. Versatility was key for me, price being another factor. I've got both sized rear shocks so I can travel with it, have fun at bike parks, on local singletrack, etc and always have the right bike for the situation. Can't wait to get it built and for the 4" of snow we got yesterday to go away! I'll probably provide updates and build photos on the GG forum in a couple days!
    Awesome! I think you'll love it.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by stripes View Post
    One other note:
    Evil: super slack seat angles
    GG: super steep seat angles (especially in trail mode), so they will fit very differently
    My calling has a 74.8 degree STA. Insurgent is 74.3.

You consider that "super slack"? I don't

mtbr member

I agree, on paper it might seem slack compared to super steep STA frames, but I slid the seat a little more forward on the Insurgent and found it climbs as well or better than most other bikes of similar travel. I had a G3 Nomad and the Insurgent climbs better for me. Its also noticeably more poppy and easier to bunny hop and manual, where the Nomad was more planted and plowish.

Bodhisattva
    I agree, on paper it might seem slack compared to super steep STA frames, but I slid the seat a little more forward on the Insurgent and found it climbs as well or better than most other bikes of similar travel. I had a G3 Nomad and the Insurgent climbs better for me. Its also noticeably more poppy and easier to bunny hop and manual, where the Nomad was more planted and plowish.
    I still own a Nomad g3 as well. And I agree. Nomad is the ultimate "plow bike." I don't think I endo'd in almost 4 seasons and it saved my skull on many occasions. But it's not playful by any means.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I think that any mtb with a sta of 74*, +/- a 1/2*, is Spot on.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    nice - see what you did there

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

The Evil have a steep "effective" SA, but if you're long leggeg, like me, it's get annoying because the "actual" SA is pretty slack. GG's are steeper in that regard.
    I use to ride a Large calling that I had to sell, because my back would kill for that reason. I got a Medium Megatrail instead (and used to ride a V1 megatrail before that).
    French line enthusiast and expat in Denver, ig; lazoup

I Like bikes, I really do

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierp View Post
    The Evil have a steep "effective" SA, but if you're long leggeg, like me, it's get annoying because the "actual" SA is pretty slack. GG's are steeper in that regard.
    I use to ride a Large calling that I had to sell, because my back would kill for that reason. I got a Medium Megatrail instead (and used to ride a V1 megatrail before that).
    I'm all legs, short torso. I can't say that I share your experience or opinion, but sorry to hear about your back. Perhaps a medium Calling may have been more appropriate, given that you fit a medium Megatrail. At 5'9" I can ride medium in either Evil or GG. But I demo'd my friends large Calling and it was awful for me.

mtbr member
    Lotta truth there, my Enduro says it has a 76.7STA but a Medium GG Smash with a 160 fork is easily visibly steeper.
    Instagram

Denver, CO

Mojo Wheels | DirtLabs Suspension | Honey Stinger

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I'm all legs, short torso. I can't say that I share your experience or opinion, but sorry to hear about your back. Perhaps a medium Calling may have been more appropriate, given that you fit a medium Megatrail. At 5'9" I can ride medium in either Evil or GG. But I demo'd my friends large Calling and it was awful for me.
    And that here, is why we all should demo bikes instead of speculating on the interwebs. Even with similar "Shapes" we don't get the same feelings. There is so much involved.
    I demoed a mondraker foxy the other, perfect on paper for me, exactly the numbers I like, and it felt terrible...
    Though I'm 6', bordeline 6'1"

always licking the glass
    And that here, is why we all should demo bikes instead of speculating on the interwebs. Even with similar "Shapes" we don't get the same feelings. There is so much involved.
    I demoed a mondraker foxy the other, perfect on paper for me, exactly the numbers I like, and it felt terrible...
    Though I'm 6', bordeline 6'1"
    Agreed. Iím on the short end of the spectrum and even the small Evil felt waaay too big (and thatís with a 30mm stem).

But the XS Shred Dogg was perfect. 5í4Ē, more legs than torso.
    Writer, MTB4Her.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    I own a 2018 Insurgent and can't emphasis enough how sick they are!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Good to hear. I demoed a crap load ove bikes at Sea Otter and still didnít find what I was after. Unfortunately I didnít see Evil there to try out the Insurgent. Funny thing happened yesterday, I went rid up in Nevada City and Devinci had a demo tent set up there so i tried out a Troy and liked more than anything Iíve ridden at this point. Itís an absolute blast on flowy/jumpy trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

... and if we just ...

Good to hear. I demoed a crap load ove bikes at Sea Otter and still didnít find what I was after. Unfortunately I didnít see Evil there to try out the Insurgent. Funny thing happened yesterday, I went rid up in Nevada City and Devinci had a demo tent set up there so i tried out a Troy and liked more than anything Iíve ridden at this point. Itís an absolute blast on flowy/jumpy trails.
    It is worth noting that you cant currently get the Insurgent off normal sources. however, a week ago Evil had some in their Spain warehouse. They are bringing out some Boostified versions late in the year. So try ringing Evil and see what they can do

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Last time I checked Jenson USA had them on their site for a little over 4000 with a decent spec. Does yours have boost?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Last time I checked Jenson USA had them on their site for a little over 4000 with a decent spec. Does yours have boost?
    currently, Insurgent is non boost.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rhynohead View Post
    currently, Insurgent is non boost.
    what he said! yeah all insurgents in the wild are not boost. Yes, jensons or fanatik bike etc might have some left, but I was meaning from Evil themselves, I am from New Zealand and there is only one dealer in the whole country that sells them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Just a follow up here. Thereís going to be a green Guerrilla at my door in a few weeks.
    Versatility, sizing, geometry, badassary, made in the USA were all deciding factors.
    Also being able to pick and choose parts spec is another. Thanks for all the help

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    Heck yeah!!! I love my Shred Dogg! It's been a fun and lively trail bike. Yesterday I converted it to a Mega Trail (150 rear/160 front) so I can enduro on it this weekend! Enjoy!

Just a follow up here. Thereís going to be a green Guerrilla at my door in a few weeks.
    Versatility, sizing, geometry, badassary, made in the USA were all deciding factors.
    Also being able to pick and choose parts spec is another. Thanks for all the help
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Awesome! I canít wait, itís a big step up from my current bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Nice, congrats!

I'm riding my Megatrail as an in-between these days. 60mm stroke air shock VS 65 on the MT, and 57.5 on the Shred Dogg. 160mm Ribbon up front.

See you on the adequate sub-forum for a picture of your bike when you get it!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Sounds like a pretty bad ass set up. Iím still looking at about five weeks until mine is here. Decided on changing the color today to LamboGG!! Saw a few pics and had to have it.

mtbr member
    Congratulations!

I love my Shred Dogg!!!

I'm continually amazed at how much fun it is to ride in super-steep and technical terrain. It turns scary steeps into fun.

Trail mode on flow trails leaves a big-ass grin on my face for weeks.

It's a truly addictive ride.

mtbr member
    Nice, congrats!

I'm riding my Megatrail as an in-between these days. 60mm stroke air shock VS 65 on the MT, and 57.5 on the Shred Dogg. 160mm Ribbon up front.

See you on the adequate sub-forum for a picture of your bike when you get it!
    I'm running the same setup and it's completely badass. The Ribbon coil is amazing.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Thanks. Iím just running the ride one kit for now and maybe in the future if necessary move to that setup you and xav are running. I will probably be pretty content for a while though coming from an entry level 120mm front and rear sus.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Iím just running the ride one kit for now and maybe in the future if necessary move to that setup you and xav are running. I will probably be pretty content for a while though coming from an entry level 120mm front and rear sus.
    I also got the Ride 1 build kit and it's very good stuff. I had a very good bonus from work last year and upgraded the suspension on my bike to the MRP Ribbon coil fork and a DVO Topaz shock. The stock RS Deluxe shock had two rebound settings for my light weight - extremely harsh and catapult. The DVO works much better. The stock Suntour fork is really very good. I only replaced it because I had the rare opportunity to get the best fork made.

I've been mountain biking for over 30 years now and the Shred Dogg has actually elevated my riding confidence and abilities. I don't think there's a better trail bike made.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Iíve got the pike coming with mine, is the ribbon marginally better? Also what is your weight if you donít mind me asking?

mtbr member
    Iíve got the pike coming with mine, is the ribbon marginally better? Also what is your weight if you donít mind me asking?
    I weigh 160 lb. and ride in the PNW.

I had a Pike on my last bike and for my riding, I'd say that the Ribbon coil is substantially better in every way possible. The Pike was rather harsh and I replaced it with a Marzocchi on my last bike which made a huge improvement. The stock Suntour Auron that came on my Shred Dogg was much better than the Pike.

I'd highly recommend getting the MRP Ribbon when you order since it's far cheaper that way than buying one later like I did.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Good info. Thanks for sharing your experience with with those forks. Looks like Iím going to have to make one final phone call to GG.