mtbr member
    Jul 2013

FS MTB Shopping help

I am in the middle of a search for my first full suspension bike. I am so overwhelmed with all of the options and things to consider. Currently only have a crappy entry level hard tail.

I'm setting my budget in the 2k-3k range. I am looking for a bike in the low-mid travel area (130-140). I don't want to do the direct to consumer option although there are some sweet bike that route.

Any advice on bikes to help me with my decision.? So many different options and a problem is the stores can get then but seldom have the right size in stock to test....

mtbr member
    Best option is asking around locally when there will be some demo's or if they have a demo program (rental $$$ goes towards a new bike). When you spend that much, worth getting your leg over the saddle.

And don't get rid of the cheap hardtail. I threw a $40 rigid steel fork on my old 29er, and it's a blast to ride for exercise and trail. Never underestimate how humbling of an experience it is to ride trails you normally kill on a rigid hardtail.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Best option is asking around locally when there will be some demo's or if they have a demo program (rental $$$ goes towards a new bike). When you spend that much, worth getting your leg over the saddle.

And don't get rid of the cheap hardtail. I threw a $40 rigid steel fork on my old 29er, and it's a blast to ride for exercise and trail. Never underestimate how humbling of an experience it is to ride trails you normally kill on a rigid hardtail.
    Thanks for the advice

mtbr member
    Giant Trance - great value, proven design, good warranty and a strong dealer network.

Members who have read this thread: 36