mtbr member
    Jan 2018

first FS which bike and why

looking to get my first FS, i live in houston so terrain is flat. trails are heavily rooted. coming from bmx background looking to be able to jump yet be able to get out on the road and do 20 miles max. so which would you buy and why ( 5'9" 160lbs)
    narrowed my choices down to

santa cruz 5010 r build $3299

giant trance 2 $2900

transition scout $3000

and possibly YT Jeffsy 27 but wish i could choose frame color $2200

my biggest concern is which will pedal best, may not even be a concern if they all pedal well, only ridden hardtails in the past so have no real comparison.

mtbr member
    Maybe a short travel 29er should make your 27.5 exclusive list o_0

Pedal, roll over on a 120mm-ish, 29er will be better than a 650b mule.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    A 29er will roll over roots and crap more easily than a 27.5 will. The flip side is it doesn't feel as nimble so going through corners won't feel at connected.

I came from an FS 26er and moved to the Anthem2 27.5 as I found it felt better to me. I don't think there are many bikes out there that aren't good. You will find that whatever bike you get you will become accustomed to riding it.

Around where I live, it is pretty flat, but we do have quite a few ravines so a steep short hill to get down, and a steep short climb to get back out the other side. I liked the reviews that said the Anthem was better at climbing over the Trance. I have found from my experience that I can adjust the pressure and ramp speed of the shocks so I don't bottom out with any given travel, so I wouldn't focus too much on those numbers.

I would suggest going to a bike shop and taking out a 29 and 27.5 bike and seeing which one feels better for you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roadkill401 View Post
    A 29er will roll over roots and crap more easily than a 27.5 will. The flip side is it doesn't feel as nimble so going through corners won't feel at connected.

I came from an FS 26er and moved to the Anthem2 27.5 as I found it felt better to me. I don't think there are many bikes out there that aren't good. You will find that whatever bike you get you will become accustomed to riding it.

Around where I live, it is pretty flat, but we do have quite a few ravines so a steep short hill to get down, and a steep short climb to get back out the other side. I liked the reviews that said the Anthem was better at climbing over the Trance. I have found from my experience that I can adjust the pressure and ramp speed of the shocks so I don't bottom out with any given travel, so I wouldn't focus too much on those numbers.

I would suggest going to a bike shop and taking out a 29 and 27.5 bike and seeing which one feels better for you.
    I agree with all of this ^^^. I have a 5010 and that's the 1st thing that came to mind. However, my buddy has a YT and I don't think you can go wrong with their bikes at their price points.
    2018 Intense Tracer
    2017 Intense Primer
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I'm really liking the scout but concerned with the 65 degree head angle for anything other than pointed down.

I will add I'm currently riding a 27.5 kona hardtail. The 1 29er I have tried I did not like the big wheels

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The only place a 65 is out of place is super tight corners. On the new Transition SBG I don't know if that's an issue.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sims87 View Post

I will add I'm currently riding a 27.5 kona hardtail. The 1 29er I have tried I did not like the big wheels
    I think it depends on the bike. First 29er I rode felt really cumbersome. I screwed around for a few minutes on a SC Tallboy yesterday and it felt just as nimble as any 27.5 bike.

I also came from bmx. Most mtb jumps don't have the steep transitions on face of the launch like bmx freestyle jumps do, so I don't think it matters too much what wheel size, wheelbase, suspension travel you have. There are exceptions like the rhythm section at my local pump track but it was still doable on a Giant Reign I borrowed.

I repsectfully think mtb guys tend to split hairs a bit on what constitutes nimble and flickable. I also think the bikes you listed will climb and pedal just fine. I prefer pedaling a 130-150mm travel bike over a HT on everything thing but the smoothest terrain. They feel like they carry momentum better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    should get to try a trance out in the next couple weeks, if i havent made a purchace by late march ill get to test a transition on my trip to AZ. really liking the price of the YT jeffsy

mtbr member
    Of those listed I would go with the Trance. Almost bought one, but added to my budget and got an Evil.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ended up getting a 29er rocky mountain instinct and love it

mtbr member
    cool ! pics... newb!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sims87 View Post
    29er FTW!!

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    nice !

Super Clyde
    Nice bike, but this is the 27.5 Forum.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Sharp looking bike. I've always had an eye on the Thunderbolt.