Thread: First Bike Help

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

First Bike Help

Really looking into getting into mtb, I have done some downhill riding in Colorado as well as dirt jumps but yet to own a bike. Was looking heavily into the Commencal Meta Hardtail AM Origin 2018 650b or the Commencal Meta HardTail AM Essentail 2017. Both bikes are the same price due to the sale of the essential. From what i looked at the fork setup looks a lot better on the Essentail? With the RockShox Yari RC compared to the RockShox Recon RL but still dont have much knowledge on suspensions. With what i believe to be a better fork setup on the essential im not sure about it having a 2 x 9 with alot of bikes having 1 drives now. If anyone could help spec out and help me gain insight on what specifics being better than others would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by cbear; 01-25-2018 at 09:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm guessing the budget is right around a grand and for that money a more aggressive hard tail like this one is perfect. I didn't look too hard at the bikes, but...

I would get the 2018 with the 1x. Its a simple system with less to go wrong or break when you crash. Also, I think it is easier to upgrade the fork. As there are a ton of barely used forks on pinkbike. I'm sure you could get a 2017 pike for around $400-600 down the road.

That bike with a 160 pike and a dropper would be stupid fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    The Yari on the essential is a 35mm stanchion fork, so it is as resistant to flex as the Rockshox Pike/Lyrik. It has the Avalanche damper, which means it is progressive (as the suspension gets further into its stroke, it becomes harder to compress.

In contrast, the fork on the Origin has 32mm stanchions, so it is flexy and wobbly when taking repeated hard hits. It uses the motion control damper, which is better suited to xc and general trail riding. It is also less progressive than the Yari.

A 32mm fork does not do well past 120mm of travel. Speaking from personal experience, the 150mm Rockshox Recon I had sucked. I am not heavy or aggressive but that fork felt like a wet noodle.

With all this said, long travel hardtails aren't the best choice because the rear end of the bike doesn't compress when the fork does, so the bike handles weird when the suspension is compressed. I had a long travel hardtail and found that it felt so much better at 120mm of travel than at 150. If you want a bike with 160mm of travel, something to trail and park ride, you should save up and buy a Commencal Meta, YT Capra, or Diamondback Mission/Release.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    For a grand I would go with a giant fathom. It is a good xc/trail bike and can be had for around a grand. Plus you get lbs support.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    The Giant isn't in the same league as the Commencals. Definitely the 2017 for the fork. Sunrace makes an 11-40 9 speed cassette so you can go 1X in the future.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle View Post
    The Giant isn't in the same league as the Commencals. Definitely the 2017 for the fork. Sunrace makes an 11-40 9 speed cassette so you can go 1X in the future.
    For converting to a 1X in the future, would it be as simple to take off the front system and buy a say RaceFace front ring with some new chain ring bolts? Aswell keep the rear 1134 T, 9 speed? - Thanks for the reply's

Bikesexual
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b.../2044600-2018/

A bit over budget but 27.5+ (shorter travel) but maybe you can actually test ride it?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Will definitely look into the trek and look at some local shops- Thanks!