mtbr member
    Oct 2017

First 27.5 Build - Questions and Fork Options

I'm building up my first mountain bike with a Soma B-Side 27.5 frame. The frame has clearance for 27.5 x 2.8" tires, so I'd like to find a front suspension fork that can fit a similar size tire. Looking for a fork with 100 - 120mm travel.

My front hubs are non-boost, but I have boost end-caps, so either axle size will work.

Could anyone recommend some suspension fork options that would allow me to use up to 27.5x2.8" tires?

Less yap more braaap
    Suntour Axon or Raidon should do the trick for you and shouldn't break the bank.

From what I remember when talking to their rep they can fit up to 27.5x3.0 tires. (Note you must get the "E-Bike version" of those forks with the 34mm stanchions, they will fit both 29x2.4" or 27.5x3.0")

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks Teir1, I'll take a look at those. Any experience with Rockshox or Fox 27.5+ specific forks?

Less yap more braaap
    Nope, to be honest I run the Suntour Auron on my personal bike. Ive test ridden/rented bikes with Boxxer forks and Fox 40's but they're obviously in a different league than a 100-120mm travel plus fork.

Suntour isn't a bad company by any means in fact once you get outside of their lower end OEM offerings (Suntour XCR is the very bare minimum I would go if I had to pick something) they actually make really great stuff.

That said, don't think that Suntour is your only option, Rockshox obviously makes nice stuff too and you're going to have to look into it yourself and look at the reviews and see if you can test ride something of theirs.

aka: SpeedyChix
    Apr 2005
    Sent you a message re a Suntour Axon Werx fork.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I would look into the Manitou Magnum. I have ridden it quite a bit and really like how smooth and adjustable it is. They have high and low speed compression and rebound, which allows you to really tune the fork to your liking. It has the same damper as the Mattoc which has gotten tons of rave reviews. The 34mm chassis doesn't flex like all the previous 32mm forks I've had and is so precise.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not too familiar with Manitou forks but I'll look into it.