mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Evil the Calling vs Nomad V4 vs Transition Scout

Having a hard time deciding on which of these guys to pull the trigger on. Anyone have any experience riding all three and would suggest one vs the other? Mainly trail riding with some enduro terrain but mainly looking for a playful ride that would feel great in the air and descending at speed.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Seems like the Nomad is a bit out of scope compared to the other two bikes? It would help if you gave more information about the area you live, and the trails that you ride. The nomad is a very large bike for normal trail duty... not saying it's inappropriate, but that depends on where you live.

Wēk Ss
    Well, I bought the N4 for normal trail riding with the occasional jaunt into rougher areas. I have no time on the others. It's a lot of bike, yes, but I wanted it, and I had to scratch that itch. It was primarily about the suspension for me. I could've waited till next year, when it will likely roll out to things like the Hightower, Bronson, and 5010, but as things go...that itch needed scratching now.

Anyhow, it supplements my SC Nickel (getting long in the tooth) and my gravel bike for different perspectives on the same trails. From what I understand of those other bikes, it would be hard to go wrong with any choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmHolland View Post
    Well, I bought the N4 for normal trail riding with the occasional jaunt into rougher areas. I have no time on the others. It's a lot of bike, yes, but I wanted it, and I had to scratch that itch. It was primarily about the suspension for me. I could've waited till next year, when it will likely roll out to things like the Hightower, Bronson, and 5010, but as things go...that itch needed scratching now.

Anyhow, it supplements my SC Nickel (getting long in the tooth) and my gravel bike for different perspectives on the same trails. From what I understand of those other bikes, it would be hard to go wrong with any choice.
    What build did you go with? Curious if you are locking the rear on climbs or not. VS your nickel, how are you finding the Nomad on flats/climbs?

Wēk Ss
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd82 View Post
    What build did you go with? Curious if you are locking the rear on climbs or not. VS your nickel, how are you finding the Nomad on flats/climbs?
    CC X01.

I don't have it yet. It should be soon, so the shop says (it was available when I ordered 2 weeks ago). My expectation is that it's more active, but a better climbing position. I'll report back when I get it. The Nickel climbs OK, but the seat tube is a bit slack with a 140 fork. I slammed the seat forward, otherwise it squats too much on climbs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    look into Guerrilla Gravity megatrail. it is a enduro bike that can change from 150mm rear travel to 165 with the moving of 1 bolt. I ride mostly in trail mode (150) and it pedals really well and descends great, but if I am at the top of a really knarly trail I will move it over to gravity (165) and this changes the bike more than you would think. it descends ever better and just eats up anything you line up with. My rides average about 20 miles with about 4500 ft of climbing and descending and I never find my self wanting more pedaling efficiency just less maybe a few less switch backs.

If that does not sell you on the daily ability of the bike then you can also switch out the rear shock for one with shorter stroke and you have 135/145 rear travel (shred dog) that is quite a bit more playful on more mellow trails.