Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    mtbr member

Did you switch from a 29er ?

What 29er where you riding ? Is there anything you miss about the 29er ? What do you like most about the 650b ?

mtbr member
    Airborne Goblin - great bike.

Built up a rigid steel 650b and love it. Would not go back to 29, but that is just me.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

bike addict
    Jan 2004
    Im in the process of switching. My Tallboy is outgoing and bronson frame in hand awaiting fork.

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
    Im in the process of switching. My Tallboy is outgoing and bronson frame in hand awaiting fork.
    TB outgoing, as in?

Considering one. Just curious. Have a 650B El Bastardo myself.
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

orthonormal
    I replaced a Specialized Epic 29 with a RM Altitude and have no regrets whatsoever. The Altitude is a better smooth terrain climber, a much better technical climber, and so much better descending that a comparison is absurd. Much of the improvement is due to geometry and suspension differences rather than wheel size, though.

I still have my 8 year old Ventana El Commandante 29er SS, though. I have no interest in a smaller wheel size for singlespeeding, where it's all about momentum on the steeper climbs. The bigger wheels are a real help in maintaining momentum when I'm climbing over roots and rocks.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

mtbr member
    I still have my Tracer 29 but my Tracer 275 gets all the saddle time.
    I like the geometry, standover, plush ride and fun handling of the 275 better. the 29rs most glaring fault for me is the steap head angle and long stays make the front change direction quickly and the back eng changes direction a bit slower; like multiple personalities. The 275 has my favored geometry from the 26rs with more stability and 6" of travel!

NedwannaB
    Quote Originally Posted by andy f View Post
    I replaced a Specialized Epic 29 with a RM Altitude and have no regrets whatsoever. The Altitude is a better smooth terrain climber, a much better technical climber, and so much better descending that a comparison is absurd. Much of the improvement is due to geometry and suspension differences rather than wheel size, though.

I still have my 8 year old Ventana El Commandante 29er SS, though. I have no interest in a smaller wheel size for singlespeeding, where it's all about momentum on the steeper climbs. The bigger wheels are a real help in maintaining momentum when I'm climbing over roots and rocks.
    Interesting, andy. One would think the Epic would win out over the climbing you mentioned, but with the type of bike the Altitude is, the descending advantage makes sense. I too have a 29 SS, and a converted 650B SS also (tho I don't quite have the cockpit setup right yet) have to agree on the bigger wheels even with their wagon wheel issues have an advantage with the momentum thing.
    Last edited by JMac47; 05-14-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: typo
    Wait whuuut, who did he tell you that!?!?....

meow meow
    my 29 stumpy broke, been on my 150mm 26, liking it better. might give 650b a go.

mtbr member
    I had numerous 29ers over the last 4 years. I switched from a kHs flagstaff and the 650 is a better bike in every aspect.

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by JMac47 View Post
    Interesting, andy. One would think the Epic would win out over the climbing you mentioned, but with the type of bike the Altitude is, the descending advantage makes sense. I too have a 29 SS, and a converted 650B SS also (tho I don't quite have the cockpit setup right yet) have to agree on the bigger wheels even with their wagon wheel issues have an advantage with the momentum thing.
    It was a surprise to me but then again, I had been underwhelmed by the Epic for quite a while and rarely rode it any more because I felt so much faster on the SS. I kept the brain threshold set low so even though it only had 90 mm travel, it felt a bit sluggish under power. With the brain threshold set higher, it wasn't all that much better than a hardtail.

Also, the Altitude is less than 1/2 lb. heavier (it's the 790 MSL) and is just a stellar climber. I think people looking for 120 mm travel 650B bikes would be blown away by the Altitude, especially in the steeper angled/more linear linkage rate settings. Mine is in one of the slacker/more progressive settings and I notice that the suspension moves more under power now than it did in the neutral setting but it descends and soaks up bigger hits better this way.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

J:
    mbtr memebr
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    my 29 stumpy broke, been on my 150mm 26, liking it better. might give 650b a go.
    Seatstay?

Ambi-Turner
    May 2010
    I had three niners - Paragon HT, RIP9 and then Superfly 100 Carbon. Each was a great bike at what they were designed for. My riding has evolved into lots of steeps, drops and chunk with twisty singletrack on a regular basis. The niners are too slow to change direction and climbing steeps is a pain. My carbine 275 does everything exceptionally well. Only drawback is smaller contact patch and doesn't hold momentum as well.

These are small differences though and the balance and playfulness of the 275 wheels is perfect for me at 5ft 8. I might own another niner if it can change direction as easy as my Carbine and handle just as well. The rollover of the wagon wheels is a great advantage.

mtbr member
    I agree with Throttlemire's sentiments. I recently sold a Sultan for a Carbine 275. The Carbine is more fun. However I do notice the momentum issue once and awhile. That said, I'm still undecided between it and my Yelli Screamy 29er hard tail as it is as much fun and as capable as the Carbine on most trails.
    Evil Following
    Intense Carbine 275
    Giant Anthem Advanced
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Tarmac SL4
    Ducati M1100s
    KTM 350 XCF-W

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sold my tallboy carbon for a bronson carbon. Haven't looked back. The difference downhill as well as rocky chunk is unreal. Only place tallboy was better was rolling desert trails. I ride more all mt stuff so 275 bronson is better for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Never been on a 29r and don't think I'd ever want to since my first tires on my Carbine 275 were almost 28" tall WTB Wolverines which I ditched for some RR tiers that measure 27.5" exactly. Only a half inch but the WTB tires made the bike feel a bit awkward as compared to the RR tires, tread may also have something to do with it. Did notice, on my first ride which has a very technical climb with switchbacks on rocky sections, that I couldn't get the bike around like I'm used to with my 26" bikes and failed the climb twice. It's also early in the season though and I typically don't start making that climb normally until mid-late June.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    That said, I'm still undecided between it and my Yelli Screamy 29er hard tail as it is as much fun and as capable as the Carbine on most trails.
    I'm trying to decide between getting a Yelli or going FS. I know FS would be more comfortable, but I have nothing against fun on a HT either. Do you use clips or flat pedals? (I ask because I use flats and its harder to keep my feet connected on a HT than FS...)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I'm trying to decide between getting a Yelli or going FS. I know FS would be more comfortable, but I have nothing against fun on a HT either. Do you use clips or flat pedals? (I ask because I use flats and its harder to keep my feet connected on a HT than FS...)
    personnaly i'm seling my 26" fs Am and keeping the yelli..its just so much fun to ride..this is the one 29er that would not neccessairly want me to go smaller in wheel size.
    i will get another fully eventually but i really dont know if it will be 650b or 29er geometry have evolved a lot in the 29er side ... most of the 29 mentionned here so far have the "old school" geometry wich tend to emphasis the bad traits of the 29er wheel. newer design minimise that.

i'm not against any wheel size, i'm just debating from my experience
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

jrm
    mtbr member
    I rode a Turner Sultan FS that was later converted to 650b (badly). I kinda miss how the sultan just grinded and crawled over stuff on technical climbs. For this 5'8.5" guy a 650b FS bike has a bigger fun factor then the 29 FS. I still have a rigid Niner EMD that i like a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had 26ers for years. I tried 650b & was sold on the larger wheel so I thought 29er would be the next step in the right direction. Personally the 29er wasn't more of a good thing. Though it held better momentum & rollover it felt sluggish accelerating and the bike was harder to get the front wheel up. I eventually built a long travel 26er (100mm travel now) using a 29er front wheel and 650b rear wheel. The bike has that nice anti endo front wheel but accelerates & lifts because of the smaller rear wheel.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    yes.
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wish I Were Riding View Post
    I use clips. That said, the only time I wish for suspension on the Yelli is when the trail is fast and littered with braking bumps or cross-ruts from rain. The best of both worlds is to have a nice FS bike and a low budget Yelli. I have about $1K inot my Yelli. I picked up the frame used for $450, a Marz Micro Ti fork new on Huck N Roll for $280, Dt Swiss 430 wheels on eBay for $100 and then parts from my part bin. It is not fancy, but is as fun as my expensive Carbine.
    Evil Following
    Intense Carbine 275
    Giant Anthem Advanced
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Tarmac SL4
    Ducati M1100s
    KTM 350 XCF-W

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've typically had two bikes (mtn) to choose from. An XC hardtail and a trail bike. A couple yrs back I replaced the old 26" Klein XC bike with a 2011 Specialized stumpjumper expert carbon 29r (a stunningly beautiful bike!) and fought it for a year trying to get it sorted out to my liking.

During the yr I had it I tried different configurations in the cockpit with different bars, stem angle, changed the travel of the fork, moved the saddle around to adjust the weighting of the tires, changed the tires and nothing I did made the bike behave. Towards the end some local guys were suggesting I get wider bars to try to get it to turn but at that point I'd changed the whole front end already and was sick of chasing the problem.
    In the end I resigned myself that it just wasn't for me.**

For me it just handled like a buick and if I tried to hamfist it into turning it would understeer then the front tire would either wash or grab. Sometimes it would grab so it abruptly it would burp the tire. Once I tore the tire off the rim.

Because the bike was basically no damn fun, I was choosing the trail bike so often the 29r was gathering dust. The trail bike was 650b front 26 back, and since has been replaced (broke frame) with another trail bike. (Knolly endorphin 650 front 26 back). The 29r has been sold and my next XC HT bike will very likely be the Ritchey 650b.

** If I was doing long distance races, or maybe riding smooth flowy trails with good sight lines and no need for responsiveness the 29r would be appropriate.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    yep...old bike Salsa Dos Niner XL...new bike Jamis Nemesis XL...old bike felt like a couch, had a 72 degree head angle, long stays, always felt difficult to control on twisty trails...new bike: buttah...

mtbr member
    I'm thinking about it. I currently ride a '11 RIP 9. Before that I had a Banshee Paradox. Both were L frames, I'm 6'3 205lbs. I love the RIP 9, but it does feel like it's missing a little nimbleness and this has started to bother me as of late as my riding is progressing. A buddy mentioned these to me and said they would probably be the perfect compromise.

Currently have my eye on the Norco Sight Killer B. Hopefully within the next year I will make the switch.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've owned at least one bike of all three wheel sizes. I'm never going back to 26", won't do 29ers again. I agree with the momentum of the 29ers, but the other traits I can't stand the slower steering, awful handling in the tight stuff, slow acceleration. 27.5 just works better for m e everywhere, I'm mostly a xc, light trail rider, on a singlespeed and a converted SC Blur XCc. The Blur is the best bike I've ever ridden and my ss is a great ride too. I can't believe some claiming that 29ers climb better, I never found that to be true, the fact is on a 29er, you have that rotational weight thing working against you on climbs, something I can't see anyone overcoming on the majority of climbs.

mtbr member
    I've found that my Tracer 29 can get over short, steep rough stuff better than either 26 or 27.5 bikes, I've also found that gentle prolonged climbs are handled better by the 29r. Long steep climbs however feel harder at the peddles on a 29r to me; I will say that while those steep prolonged climbs feel easier on a 27.5 and much easier on a 26 at the peddles the smaller the wheels (shorter stays) the harder it is to keep the front wheel on the ground during those steep efforts. The 29r seems easier to keep the front on the ground during steep climbs, as long as my legs hold out. The 27.5 is the right compromise for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    I've owned at least one bike of all three wheel sizes. I'm never going back to 26", won't do 29ers again. I agree with the momentum of the 29ers, but the other traits I can't stand the slower steering, awful handling in the tight stuff, slow acceleration. 27.5 just works better for m e everywhere, I'm mostly a xc, light trail rider, on a singlespeed and a converted SC Blur XCc. The Blur is the best bike I've ever ridden and my ss is a great ride too. I can't believe some claiming that 29ers climb better, I never found that to be true, the fact is on a 29er, you have that rotational weight thing working against you on climbs, something I can't see anyone overcoming on the majority of climbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I had an epic. Felt the same way. Always prefered the singlespeed. Unless I was going on a long fireroad day.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well I have 140mm 29er (Stereo Super HPC 140 Race) and I like it. I don't love it but I like it. I didn't like my previous 26er as I am tall guy 187cm (6 feet and 2 inches). I always felt that 26 is like BMX for me. So I went for 29er and it was really different. At the begging I was disappointed with how it handles but I adjusted my riding style and now is OK. However I constantly feel is kind of big bike even with proper frame size. I wish I could try 650B to compare. I had option to buy 650b instead of 29er but I read a lot opinions that it's only marginal difference. Now I am not so sure as 29er is kinda' point and shoot bike. Not that playful as I'd expected and it flex like hell. I can feel my back wheel escaping under my seat almost every time I take harder turn. To be honest so much cash to learn that it's not ideal bike is hard to swallow. Unfortunately there was no 650b demo bikes and still there are none to test in Ireland.

My bottom line is. 29er is not that great as I expected. It has serious issues with playfulness and flex (even my supposed to be one of the best on the market). It is better than 26 for me as I hated small wheels, however I miss this jump for joy feeling. I think I should have gambled and choose 650B version instead of 29er but... too late now. Anyway I just wanted to share my thoughts. It's hard for me to say what 650B would be as I never ride one but I guess it would be more interesting bike to own. Long travel FS 29er is weird mix after all. Question is - Is it really just marginal difference between feeling of 26 and 650b bikes? Or actually you can feel the difference? I've seen one recently and it's almost indistinguishable form 26. Maybe few cm more per wheel.

I am waiting for 28.whatever wheel size. I think it would be the best.

If I could I would buy now Norco 650B bike (carbon or alu).

mtbr member
    Started riding 26'' bikes until I tested out a 29'' Epic carbon. Loved it! Sold my 26'' and bought a Chumba HX2. Got bored of it so went back to 26''. Didn't like the small wheels so went to the more playful 29er option- the yelli screamy. I like the yelli but something was wrong. Test rode a 650b Kona and it was the bike I had been looking for! Sold all my 29ers (&26'') and bought the Explosif 650b. Wheel size is perfect for me. I just found 26'' to skitish and not efficient enough but found the 29ers a bit boring and compromised. 650b was spot on! Best of both worlds. Perfect comprise. Now looking to venture into FS 650b. No way am I going back to either 26'' or 29''.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom View Post
    Started riding 26'' bikes until I tested out a 29'' Epic carbon. Loved it! Sold my 26'' and bought a Chumba HX2. Got bored of it so went back to 26''. Didn't like the small wheels so went to the more playful 29er option- the yelli screamy. I like the yelli but something was wrong. Test rode a 650b Kona and it was the bike I had been looking for! Sold all my 29ers (&26'') and bought the Explosif 650b. Wheel size is perfect for me. I just found 26'' to skitish and not efficient enough but found the 29ers a bit boring and compromised. 650b was spot on! Best of both worlds. Perfect comprise. Now looking to venture into FS 650b. No way am I going back to either 26'' or 29''.
    God damn it! I knew I should go with 650B instead of 29er... ahhh no way to sell mine now...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I switched from a Sultan to a Zues, the Zues wins hands down on everything. Oddly enough I also have a Yeli and feel almost the same until the speed+gnar factor kicks in. If I had to pick between the two it would be a tough choice. Luckily I don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by tortfeasor View Post
    I agree with Throttlemire's sentiments. I recently sold a Sultan for a Carbine 275. The Carbine is more fun. However I do notice the momentum issue once and awhile. That said, I'm still undecided between it and my Yelli Screamy 29er hard tail as it is as much fun and as capable as the Carbine on most trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Wanting to downgrade... Wheelsize....

6 months or so ago I bought a Trance x1 29r, and I have had a blast on this bike over this time period, But now that my riding style is changing to more of an AM style with bigger drops / jumps I'm finding I cant throw it around as much to stay in control. Some of this would be because I'm hitting the trails with a lot more speed / confidence now so i feel limited where i never felt this a few months ago.

For the fast flowing single track I find this bike to be very fast, controllable and enjoyable to ride. Just when it gets to the harder technical sections (Which i now thoroughly enjoy more!) I can't seem to always get the bike feeling right going into the feature on the trail. Climbing side of things the Trance generally powers through it all until you get to a couple of technical tight switchbacks where i tend to get stuck as there is just too much bike to get around the corner.

I'm in the process of looking into a 650B Bike, trying to decide between the Norco Range or Scott Genius as i want something with more travel and a bigger 'Fun' Factor.

The benefits I will get from going down to a 650B bike will far outweigh staying on a 29er considering my riding style. Just waiting to see the 2014 lineup of 650B's as some wont be far away before i make the swap.

-TJ.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    My 50 mile race this weekend was exactly that, and the 29er HT was a great choice. I'm on my 650b for pretty much every other off-road ride.

Quote Originally Posted by kark View Post
    ** If I was doing long distance races, or maybe riding smooth flowy trails with good sight lines and no need for responsiveness the 29r would be appropriate.

mtbr member
    I'm glad to hear people that made the switch are happy for the most part. I'm considering the move myself. When I first started doing this a few years ago, I bought from a shop that was very pro 29er. I started with a Stumpjumper HT 29, and then switched to a Anthem X 29er. I really like the Anthem on wide open flowing trail, but like many, hate it on the tighter stuff that I enjoy the most. I have done a couple of street demos on the Norco Range Killer B, which really seem to fit me well. After talking to my friend who works at a LBS,, his thought was that a Sight Killer B would be what would work for me. He even ventured a guess that I would sell the Anthem if I bought a Sight. Now I just have to wait for the 2014's to order one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got the anthem x1 XL 29er about 3 months ago and have been riding it about own average 2-3 times per week. It's been a "good" bike for longer distance jeep track and smooth flowing single track. I entered an enduro Race a few weeks back and really came unstuck with the truck like steering on the anthem. I miss the nippy manoevrability of my old 26er. After taking a spin on a mates 26" reign the other day I feel that the anthem either needs to be traded in for an all mountain/trail the reign was fast grippy and took everything I threw at it. Just popped a dent into my anthem 29er rim today, it's been a temperamental ride from the get go. Looking keenly at the 750 Rocky Mountain, if budget will allow. Really enjoying researching this new modus operandi, I think my riding style is more gearing towards the flowy single track with jumps, drops and technical manoevering than the longer jeep track riding. Oh what to do... I am a total noob to the world of MTBing but the stoke is there!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've been searching for the perfect mountain bike (for me) for 25 years. Evolution started with fully rigid Diamondback Apex to Bridgestone MB-3 (added an elastomer fork) to Specialized FSR to Titus Quasimoto to Turner Flux. Then came the Spec FSR 29er. At 5'7", the 29 geo just never felt right. I could sure see some of the advantages of the bigger wheel, but the drawbacks in handling were too much. Now, I'm on a Banshee Spitfire V2 650b and I'm wondering where it's been all my life. Geo and wheel size combine for a really playful ride. I couldn't be happier. Finding what works for you can get expensive, but now that I'm here.....it was worth it. I lasted less than a year on a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am stuck in the middle..I know I have posted this before but. I had for a short time a Lynskey Ridgeline 29er in size small. It was the only frame size (Lynskey) that I felt comfortable with. Received it built it up and felt like the bike was in control not me, the rider. On a 26er I could make that bike do what ever I wanted it to do not just there for the ride. So I bought a 26er Frame (Moots YBB) put a 650b on the front and couldn't be happier. Now I am riding a Soul Cycles Hooligan 26er with a 650b in the front and feel its dialed in just right. The wheel feels bigger but not like its hindering my riding. I feel that for larger riders the 29ers are the right size and the frames look right. The smaller frames for smaller riders still look weird to me..
    One Gear Under God

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Switch? Sure, all the time.

Depends on what I'm riding and how I feel like riding. When I'm pushing my tech ability I'll grab the 429. If it's a trail I know, or otherwise feel in more a shreddy mood, it's the 650b.

dwt
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Switch? Sure, all the time.

Depends on what I'm riding and how I feel like riding. When I'm pushing my tech ability I'll grab the 429. If it's a trail I know, or otherwise feel in more a shreddy mood, it's the 650b.
    Great answer.

In my case, the 29" is my wife; the 27.5" is my girlfriend
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looking at a Rocky Mountain Altitude 730 for my first 27.5, I still love my 29er but as much as it climbs great and is very stable I miss the hard cornering of my 26. I do fly on the 29 so I think the 27.5 might fill the gap.. Just waitng to hear back from LBS if they can get me one. Looked at a Norco as well but LBS said they are all sold out of the 27.5 line already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I went from a Tallboy to a Bronson. Loving it, carve faster, descent as fast as the 29er even with smaller wheels, climbs as good as the 29er but the big difference is handling and overall feel. It just handles so well in tight situation that I'll trade some of the roll for the slicing it does in curves and tight single track terrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Does anyone make a 100mm travel 650? I had a 140 26 before and didnt like it for XC way to much travel, 100 is fine for me maybe even 120 would be ok if I had to. So far I can't find jack for what I want, I just might have to wait longer till the XC types come out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Santa Cruz makes the Solo which is 125mm. They market it as a trail bike but it can be easily used as a xc bike. The front shock angle might be a little slack but it should do fine. I will say it might be a matter of time before companies start switching current xc models to 27.5"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well... 100mm I would stay definitely with 29er for XC. Hard tail. Unless you are little person.

650B is more for fun IMO and more travel. If you want proper XC machine I would go with 29er. Hard tail or full suss (short travel).

In my opinion if you have say, 3K to spend. It's best to buy two decent bikes (650b - 140mm and 29er HT) rather than one expensive bike.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by fahza29er View Post
    Does anyone make a 100mm travel 650? I had a 140 26 before and didnt like it for XC way to much travel, 100 is fine for me maybe even 120 would be ok if I had to. So far I can't find jack for what I want, I just might have to wait longer till the XC types come out.
    Yes, Morewood makes a 100mm travel 650b Zula XC frame, designed for 120mm forks. I'll be bringing some in shortly...
    If you like my products and services tell everyone. If you don't, tell me - kirk(at)pacenticycledesign.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Pacenti View Post
    Yes, Morewood makes a 100mm travel 650b Zula XC frame, designed for 120mm forks. I'll be bringing some in shortly...
    Those Morewood looks really nice! The bottom bracket measurements seem to be around 13.357 which will be great for clearing obstacles.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes

Started on a Voodoo Canzo. Switched to a Scott Scale. Now on a converted rush.

I bought the canzo because I really wanted to try a 29er. I loved the ability to crush trail and get great traction. I hated that frame because the stays were miles long, flexy, and the manitou radium was a better paperweight than shock.

I traded it out for a Scott Scale 29er hardtail, and it was one of my favorite bikes ever. It was blindingly fast. Combine the added rollover of the 29" wheel with the responsiveness of an aluminum hardtail, and it was 29" lightning. The 17.2" stays kept steering snappy and the longer TT and shorter stem made it feel pretty natural. Unfortunately, A) I'm a gear whore and B) there are certain aspects of suspension that I prefer...like suspension, and added climbing ability (on the right design). I also became obsessed with buying a lefty.

So....I bought the Rush when I realized they could be 650b converted. The stays are still short, so it makes for a snappy east coast handler. The BB is still low. The wheels are a decent compromise that gives some better rollover (noticeable compared to when I rode it 26", IMO), but allows for normal frame geometry without a dramatic increase in chainstay length. That's my biggest complaint about 29" designs...most people haven't figured out how to mix short chainstays with good climbing ability and longer (4+") travel.

tl;dr 29ers definitely roll better, and I miss that. They're also more "tractive". I didn't have too much of a problem with fit or acceleration or any of that nonsense. I just hated the geometry on non-XC race bike frames. I am hoping specialized releases newer, 4 and 5" travel frames with the same short stays as the enduro.

Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
    Quote Originally Posted by gamalierlozada View Post
    Those Morewood looks really nice! The bottom bracket measurements seem to be around 13.357 which will be great for clearing obstacles.
    I'll have to double check, but I think it's actually 12.8".

Cheers,
    KP
    Last edited by Kirk Pacenti; 06-27-2013 at 10:48 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I took the measurements from what they show in the the drawing. Wheel center radius of 27.5" - 10mm (27.5/2 - .393). Maybe I got it wrong bit thats what you get from the print in their page. Just let us know Kirk.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My post from different forum:

You know. I learned something. You should have really 2 bikes. Long travel bike for fun should be 650B. End of story. Something 3K max.

AND

HT 29er. Something for 1-2K max.

Why?

Well. Without having my current bike I wouldn't know that(140mm full suss 29er). But long travel 29ers are not that much fun as 26 or 650b bikes (I guess). They are not that responsive and not flickable. Just because of the wheel size.

29HT ( I rode one recently) on the other hand have advantages over smaller wheel sizes. They roll over stuff better, they are faster (better for longer runs) and they cushion road better because wheels size.

Overall for XC I would go always HT 29er 100-120mm and for fun and messing around 650b 140-160mm.

Thinking that one expensive bike would be good for everything was bad idea. I spent 3500K on it and now to achieve better flick-ability I have to spend 1K more (on wheels). That is 4500 Euro. I could have bought decent 650B bilke and decent HT29er for same money. Two bikes for two different things. One bike is OK but is just OK in both fields. Riding 140mm full suss 29er for more than 40Km is draining. How much I just discovered by borrowing HT29er recently. On the other side in mountains it's not that much fun as smaller wheels. Just flattens everything. Goes really fast and easy but I am more about fun and skills in that area not speed. Speed is cool for XC and long rides.

So my hard earned (and expensive) advice to everyone is:

For fun and trails get 650bike (like Norco) and for XC decent 29er (like Canyon). Same money. Two bikes. More fun and efficiency. One expensive bike to do all is bad idea.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast