mtbr member
    Aug 2015

DiamondBack Apex 27.5' vs. Trek EX8 26'

Hey everyone, I'm 13 and very new to these forums. I've recently been given a choice to switch between these bikes and i need your guys' help for my decision. Right now, i ride my DiamondBack Apex 27.5' everyday to school. Amazing hardtail, love every part about it. Except the squeeze brakes. They've let me down quite a few times and i can never stop fast enough before avoiding any trouble. Other than that, love the way it climbs, rides, shifts, etc.. On the other hand, I've been offered an older Trek EX8 (around 2009 model). Also an amazing bike. I'm in love with the full fox suspension and the disc brakes, but not so satisfied about the smaller 26' tires... great working condition, everything moves fine. My question is... Are the smaller tires worth having better disc brakes and suspension? Or should i take a loss with those upgrades and keep my climbing advantage?

mtbr member
    Take the trek. Will be way better, and if you decide you don't like it, then sell and buy a nicer hard tail.
    2014 Giant Trance 27.5 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What are you planning to do in the future?
    I mean, you say you ride your Apex everyday to school, which, as far as we know, doesn't involve a lot of actual mountain biking.
    It's working just fine, except for the brakes thing.

The Trek is a full suspension bike that will surely perform better in every aspect.
    But its real advantage is on the mtb realm, it will perform noticeably better in actual trails. So if you're not planning or willing to start doing that kind of riding, then it's not really necessary.

But yeah, it will be better in every aspect, and considering you might want to to some real mountain biking in the future, the Trek will serve you far better than the Apex.