Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Devinci Dixon RC and 650b?

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  elrancho66 
#1 ·
Any forum folks own a 2012 Devinci Dixon RC that is running 650b's front and rear? I like the Split Pivot platform on the bike and think it might be a great candidate for a 650b transplant 2 Wheels Good:thumbsup:

#2 ·
I had a customer support guy take all kinds of measurements for me for the Dixon to see if possibly a 650B would fit the rear. Most indications are that it would with maybe a small shim needed in the shock. Clearance at the seat stay cross brace would be very close if I recall correctly. I asked if they could get a 650B wheel to try a fitting but that never happened and I wasn't gonna drop 2K on a frame without knowing for sure. Also....high BB height with the 650 wheels. 14.2" or 14.4" depending on the adjustable link setting.

I'm a fan of the split pivot design and URGED them to build a specific 650B bike. Only can hope.

#4 ·
I had a dealer interested in trying it... I loaned him my TL28/Hope combo w/Neo-Moto 2.3" and he said it was a no-go.
I did not see it for myself, so I don't know how bad it was.
That's some bad news, was really hoping it would fly on the Dixon:madman: This frame is on my short list, just need to sell the Giant Trance X2 and find a worthy replacement that will fit 650b's
2 Wheels Good

#6 ·
At least contact Devinci to put the bug in their ear and URGE them to build a 650B Dixon bike and not be left out of the on slot of new 650B bikes. Everything they do is in house and changes can be made/tried out easily.

If you like Split Pivot the Trek Remedy fits 650B and the Slash would easily fit with plenty of clearance available. ABP = Split Pivot in functionality.

#7 ·
I did send Devinci an email but no reply yet..........McG I am semi-smitten with the Split Pivot platform and I like the looks and function of the Dixon more than the Reign..........although I have been really happy with the ride of the Trance X2..........will put it up for sale and see what happens. A local shop in Sedona is listed as a Devinci dealer but they have nothing in stock yet. 2 Wheels Good:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Received an email back from Devinci yesterday. C/S said a rider in the States contacted them and sent them some details etc,,,, and they measured the rear triangle,seat and chainstays and came to the conclusion that 650b might fit,depending on the tire used. Performance in Phoenix is the closest dealer to Flagstaff but I don't get down there often,,,,,especially in the Summer. I wil take my rear wheel with me the next time I go down there.

#9 ·
Yeah, that someone would be me. The customer service guy and I went back and forth a bunch of times. From what I remember chain stay clearance wasn't an issue. Seat stay cross brace might be and seat post at bottom out possibly as well but only by a tiny bit if so and a shim would take care of that. No Devinci dealer anywhere near me so i couldn't try.

I believe they have a carbon Dixon in the works but a true 650B Dixon would be sweet with proper geometry and BB height.

#13 ·
Well finally!! Figured it was only a matter of time considering how so many manufacturers are jumping in. Should be a sweet bike and I look forward to seeing it.....even if I did buy a new Banshee Spitfire V2 frame. Hey, it's still Canadian so it's got good roots.

Thanks for the good news!!

#12 ·
I had a Dexter and it looks like it uses the same CS & SStay as a Dixon. With a 2.25 RaRa on a TL28 rim, the seatstay brace sits on the tire carcass. My solution. I hacked the seat stay brace off and ground down the CS brace(its a round tube) and it fit perfectly with full travel. I bought some CF sheets, epoxy and heat shrink tape to make new braces but someone was trespassing on my farm and ran over it before I could do it. That Dexter was the most fun bike I ever had and could do everything I could do on my RIP9 except the Dex was so much more fun. The 27.5 wheels only enhanced the ride even more.

Devinci was nice enough to send me an alloy Atlas frame as a reduced cost replacement. I just happen to have a Fox fork(ugh!), some 27.5 wheels and a 7x2.0 shock laying around. Stay tuned...

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.