mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Crossmax enduro, Roam 60 or EX Spline 1501

So which wheels for my newly ordered remedy 27.5? I plan to swap out the fork to a pike and race enduro. Light but tough wheels needed. Is there another option around the 1000 -1200 mark

mtbr member
    Of the three you've mentioned, the Crossmax Enduro is the only one designed specifically for enduro racing and at around 1550 grams, it's a very light, tough wheelset. Not that there's anything wrong with the other two you've mentioned but there you have it.
    If I had a black light this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had a pair of the Mavic's but sold them. Really nice wheels and very burly, but everything is proprietary. If you damaged a spoke, hub, whatever its tough to get it repaired in a timely manner. The tires are pretty sweet though.

For $1000 you could have a nice set of DT/Hope/I9 hubs laced to whatever rim you wanted and it could be easily repaired. DT or Sram wheels would be above the Mavic for that reason, also.

Your bike sucks
    Maybe soon Mavic will release the 821 in 27.5? Then you could build up a real nice set without the proprietary hoopla. I did this in 26 and it is a stellar wheel with Hadley hub. As jselwyn said, there are lot of slick options if you want to get off the prebuilt path.

Edit to add:

I went with Pacenti TL28 for pretty much the same purpose you are describing - as of yet they are unbuilt so no feedback:

BikeLugs.com

They also have a wider stronger rim (31) specifically for Enduro Racing:

BikeLugs.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Mavic released the EN 321 this year in 27.5. It's not tubeless ready like a 821 would be, but you could use a Stan's strip and it's quite a bit cheaper. Just wanted to point out this option!

wheelie king
    How about i9 Torch Enduro? $1210, 31.5mm rim width, 1680 grams.

27.5\" Enduro

mtbr member
    Ive had mavic crossmax st wheels on my 26er. The hub/bearing interface is a joke. 27.5 Crossmax enduros have the same hub design. Always have to check bearing adjustments and if its too tight will wear out the bearings prematurely. After all those times adjusting play out of a loose bearing. High maintenance. And by the way, you have to carry that adjusting tool with you when you ride. Now got the new dt swiss XM15001 spline on my 650b Norco Sight. It isnt as wide as the EX. Nicely designed hub. No adjustment needed. The freewheel hub is the best and easiest to maintain. And the XM15001 is 1580 grams. Does not have the quick engagement as the I9 or mavics. But faster then most. FYI, Sram has the same dt swiss freewheel hub.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Syntace MX W30 or W35 32 spoke.

You can get the 20mm compatible front hub and end caps for 15mm. Similar internals to DT but more PoE as standard.

1580g for W30 and all normal spokes for maintenance. Last US price I saw was ~$1200.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gocat View Post
    Ive had mavic crossmax st wheels on my 26er. The hub/bearing interface is a joke. 27.5 Crossmax enduros have the same hub design. Always have to check bearing adjustments and if its too tight will wear out the bearings prematurely. After all those times adjusting play out of a loose bearing. High maintenance. And by the way, you have to carry that adjusting tool with you when you ride. Now got the new dt swiss XM15001 spline on my 650b Norco Sight. It isnt as wide as the EX. Nicely designed hub. No adjustment needed. The freewheel hub is the best and easiest to maintain. And the XM15001 is 1580 grams. Does not have the quick engagement as the I9 or mavics. But faster then most. FYI, Sram has the same dt swiss freewheel hub.
    It takes less than 30 seconds to check/adjust bearing tension on a set of Mavics, and they barely need adjustment after they're broken in. The special spanner is also a tire lever, so the best place for it is in your pack where it can serve two purposes.

The only downside of running Crossmaxes is the need to buy a few spokes right off the bat so you're not stuck waiting for them to be ordered and delivered. The wheels are tough though, I went through a few spokes on a set of SXs, but pretty much all of them failed because of damage to the spoke leading to eventual failure. For a premium wheelset, they are a bit of a bargain, all things considered. They simply can't be beat for running tubeless, btw.

I'd go for the new XLs personally, same weight, but with wider 23mm internal width rims instead of the 21f/19r internal width of the Enduros.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    It takes less than 30 seconds to check/adjust bearing tension on a set of Mavics, and they barely need adjustment after they're broken in. The special spanner is also a tire lever, so the best place for it is in your pack where it can serve two purposes.

The only downside of running Crossmaxes is the need to buy a few spokes right off the bat so you're not stuck waiting for them to be ordered and delivered. The wheels are tough though, I went through a few spokes on a set of SXs, but pretty much all of them failed because of damage to the spoke leading to eventual failure. For a premium wheelset, they are a bit of a bargain, all things considered. They simply can't be beat for running tubeless, btw.

I'd go for the new XLs personally, same weight, but with wider 23mm internal width rims instead of the 21f/19r internal width of the Enduros.
    What he said.
    I had the Enduros in 26 and now again in 27.5.
    Mavic Crossmax line is an incredible wheelset - whether it's ST, SX, Enduro or XL.
    Light, stiff, strong. Bombproof rims.
    Hubs are super easy to adjust/tension, great engagement and THE most simple to service. Easily interchangeable with all standards too.
    I would go with XL too as richde said. I got a great deal on my Enduros when I switched to 650b/27.5 otherwise would have gone XL.

mtbr member
    yeah , but why compromise with an adjusting rear hub that tightens clock wise? the wheels spin counter clock wise. With the dt swiss, no compromise .... no adjusting at all.... and the bearings inner race in a well built wheel set has a shoulder inside the axle .... all high end wheel manufactures use them.... and thats why most high end rim manufactures use dt swiss hubs to complete their wheel set
    Last edited by gocat; 11-30-2014 at 08:58 PM.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004

yeah , but why compromise with an adjusting rear hub that tightens clock wise? the wheels spin counter clock wise. With the dt swiss, no compromise .... no adjusting at all.... and the bearings inner race in a well built wheel set has a shoulder inside the axle .... all high end wheel manufactures use them.... and thats why most high end rim manufactures use dt swiss hubs to complete their wheel set
    What difference does it make which way the bearing adjustment tightens? I'm pretty sure all hubs that offer adjustment are righty-tighty, anything else would be silly.

Good job comparing a complete wheel system to the most expensive hubs available though. How much extra will you end up spending to get a wheel as light, stiff, and UST compatible as the Crossmaxes?

mtbr member
    What difference does it make which way the bearing adjustment tightens? I'm pretty sure all hubs that offer adjustment are righty-tighty, anything else would be silly.

Good job comparing a complete wheel system to the most expensive hubs available though. How much extra will you end up spending to get a wheel as light, stiff, and UST compatible as the Crossmaxes?
    Actually XM 1501 wheels are $50 bucks more then the enduro without tires as a set. Easton wheels adjusting nut in the rear tightens counter clock wise. Which makes more sense to me , since the adjusting nut is on the leftside of the wheel turns counter clockwise. Easton updated that design last yr. Oh ive had Easton havoc wheels too. Just my opinion.
    I just dont care for Mavics hub design, to me its a compromise. I always had to check free play in the rear almost everytime after hitting rough trails and rock gardens. Dont get me wrong , i like the way Crosmax spins and as far as stiffness, feels about the same as DT to me. I just couldnt see myself buying the enduros when i had a chance to upgrade my wheels on my 650b sight, after the troubles i had with crossmax bearings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianinco View Post
    So which wheels for my newly ordered remedy 27.5? I plan to swap out the fork to a pike and race enduro. Light but tough wheels needed. Is there another option around the 1000 -1200 mark
    so what wheel did you end up buying ianinco?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Actually XM 1501 wheels are $50 bucks more then the enduro without tires as a set. Easton wheels adjusting nut in the rear tightens counter clock wise. Which makes more sense to me , since the adjusting nut is on the leftside of the wheel turns counter clockwise. Easton updated that design last yr. Oh ive had Easton havoc wheels too. Just my opinion.
    I just dont care for Mavics hub design, to me its a compromise. I always had to check free play in the rear almost everytime after hitting rough trails and rock gardens. Dont get me wrong , i like the way Crosmax spins and as far as stiffness, feels about the same as DT to me. I just couldnt see myself buying the enduros when i had a chance to upgrade my wheels on my 650b sight, after the troubles i had with crossmax bearings
    It doesn't matter which way the bearing adjustment turns because it's captured by the axle spacer which is captured by the axle and frame, they're never going to loosen, and not turning in the traditional righty-tighty is downright stupid. Anyone who went to tighten their hubs would turn it clockwise purely by instinct.

I had a set of XM1500's, and while the hubs were great, DT wheelsets as a whole left a whole lot to be desired....like everything else sucked. Didn't even make it a month before spokes started snapping, and if you think Crossmax spokes are expensive, whoa boy, you haven't dealt with DT Swiss proprietary wheels which required proprietary (and not included as well as being stupid expensive) tools.

Never again.

You know who's hubs are a pain in the ass? King hubs are, as I had to adjust mine today out on the trail. Nine minutes of my life I'll never get back. I should sent them back, shouldn't I? But you never hear anyone complain about it, do you? The way that DT Swiss hubs come apart really is awesome, but don't try to turn them into a life changing experience.

I had mine for almost three years of very hard use under an 185lb rider and after the initial adjustment, they just didn't need it. I'd back them off, then turn around and tighten them to exactly the same spot...for three years. I had the same experience with the XLs I had before that. Keep an eye on spoke tension and they just kept working.

$50 more without $100 worth of tires included is $150 total, or 15% more expensive. Just in case you were wondering.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014

I had a set of XM1500's, and while the hubs were great, DT wheelsets as a whole left a whole lot to be desired....like everything else sucked. Didn't even make it a month before spokes started snapping, and if you think Crossmax spokes are expensive, whoa boy, you haven't dealt with DT Swiss proprietary wheels which required proprietary (and not included as well as being stupid expensive) tools.
    The EX1501 (and most new DT Swiss wheels) don't use proprietary parts or tools, they us standard straight pull spokes and have a regular square nipple interface. Although you do need to use the squorx nipples on the xm471 rims but they are included with the rims and available separately for not much.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    XM1501's also aren't competitors with Crossmax Enduros or XLs.

Why you would put an XC wheel when you're looking for an all mountain wheel baffles me. Also, it's convenient that you ignore the effort required to tape up a rim to run tubeless and harp on having to adjust hubs. I think we all know what we'd rather do.

Where did Mavic touch you to hurt you so bad?

mtbr member
    I would say the EX1501 are direct competitors of the Crossmax Enduros and XL.

Trail Gnome

Why you would put an XC wheel when you're looking for an all mountain wheel baffles me. Also, it's convenient that you ignore the effort required to tape up a rim to run tubeless and harp on having to adjust hubs. I think we all know what we'd rather do.

Where did Mavic touch you to hurt you so bad?
    DannyvG was referencing the EX1501 wheelset. I'm in the market myself, so all the feed back is appreciated. I am leaning toward the DT EX1501 but, if anyone is having issues...lets here about it? Currently, I'm riding a set of older aluminum Havens...they have held up well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    It applies to the XR, XM and EX 1501 wheels they are for cross country, all mountain and Enduro respectively.

I have the XM1501 wheels but I haven't ridden them that much yet but since the hubs internals are the same as with the 240 hubs I don't expect any problems. The wheels setup tubeless with ease. Other than that they just work. And the nice thing is that they use standard straight pull spokes so they shouldn't be to hard to get when a replacement is needed.

Nor­wegr
    My Roam60s are nothing short of awesome for trailriding, granted I've never done an endurorace on them I don't doubt they'd hold up.

The best bang for the buck however would definitely be NOX.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyvG View Post
    It applies to the XR, XM and EX 1501 wheels they are for cross country, all mountain and Enduro respectively.

Look at the length of the bars on the applicability. They're XC wheels, where the Crossmax Enduros and XLs are more suitable for rougher use.

I have the XM1501 wheels but I haven't ridden them that much yet but since the hubs internals are the same as with the 240 hubs I don't expect any problems. The wheels setup tubeless with ease. Other than that they just work. And the nice thing is that they use standard straight pull spokes so they shouldn't be to hard to get when a replacement is needed.
    Nobody is saying the hubs aren't good, it's the rest of the wheel, especially the spokes. Under hard usage, they're just not going to be as durable as the beefier Mavic wheels.

They'll "set up" tubeless about the same as any other wheel with internal spoke holes, the difference is that the Mavic wheels don't need tape, ever, since the inside of the rim has no spoke holes.

Since the main "drawback" of the Mavic hubs seems to be that the bearing adjustment works exactly like most other hubs, the hubs on either aren't even an issue...the rest of the wheel is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    First of all richde, I havent said anything negative about Mavic, I am only giving facts and my personal experience about the new Spline One series wheels from DT swiss. It seems you are referring to the older Tricon type wheelsets?

Look at the length of the bars on the applicability. They're XC wheels.
    I guess you arent looking at the XM1501 wheels than, because to me that seems like All mountain. Also the EX1501 is clearly for Enduro. Do you have the XM1500 or 1550 in mind, is that also the one you used to own?

Crossmax enduro, Roam 60 or EX Spline 1501-dtswiss.jpg

Nobody is saying the hubs aren't good, it's the rest of the wheel, especially the spokes. Under hard usage, they're just not going to be as durable as the beefier Mavic wheels.

They'll "set up" tubeless about the same as any other wheel with internal spoke holes, the difference is that the Mavic wheels don't need tape, ever, since the inside of the rim has no spoke holes.
    The spokes in the Spline One wheels are the DT Swiss Competition spokes, which are used in a lot of wheelsets so I doubt they would be so bad as you are suggesting. Again, perhaps you are referring to the Tricon wheelsets.

And the rim shape determines for a large part how easy the wheels are for setting them up tubeless. And yes the 1501 spline one series have a good rim shape for setting them up tubeless.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyvG View Post

Ive had my xm1501 for 4 month. Rode every weekend single tracks and some rock gardens. Very durable wheels. And so easy to pull the freewheel hub apart to clean and lube. No pawls , just 2 gears and 2 big springs

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Odd comparison.

- A yellow 21 mm internal width front/19 mm rear wheel that needs special spokes / spoke wrenches / hub adjustment tools?
    - A 21 mm inside width carbon rimmed wheelset?
    - A 25 mm wheelset with proven quality rim, proven quality hubs and the least expensive of them all.

Don't believe the Mavic hype. Who cares you need to use tape once to make a wheelset tubeless. The width is just silly. "The only one designed for enduro" - yeah, you tell yourself that after you bought the marketing talk and the wheelset.

I would go for the DT EX wheelset. Can't go wrong with it. It's as light as an enduro wheelset should be without giving up toughness. The parts have proven to be reliable and spares can be bought everywhere. Your tires will thank you for getting more volume and stability out of them instead of getting pinched on an XC width rim.

My second choice would be the SRAM's, but frankly, they are not wide enough for me. Also carbon rims are capable of taking big hits, but a metal rim can be bent back into shape after a ding so you'll at least be able to keep riding for some time. Carbon rims don't ding, they crack.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If Mavics, the Crossmax XL seems to have more contemporary specs. As a long time Crossmax SX user (two sets), Mavic proprietary parts have not been off any issue because I've had 100% reliability. YMMV. My LBS (UK) experience with Mavic is that they properly and responsively support their product and spares are readily available.

For all that, the DT looks like an excellent product.

mtbr member

Derbys on the hubs of your choice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    In my opinion Roam 60. Better than Mavic Enduro.