mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Cross Country and Endurance Racing on 27.5

I know that a 29er is the preferred bike for XC and endurance racing. Anyone racing their 27.5 with good results? Scott Scale 710 owner here. I used to race XC back in the mid-90s when their was only one wheel size and V style brakes.

Sneaker man
    I "race" Xc on a 27.5 (but not with good results, but thats the engine, not the bike), ol' Nino Schurter did OK on a 27.5 for a few years while everyone else was on 29ers, didn't seem to slow him down too much.
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    I race on a 27.5+ FS or a 27.5 HT and love both of them. Looking to build a new 27.5 HT shortly.

I like the slightly smaller wheels, quicker handling, and I don't notice the roll over difference vs a 29er. To each their own but I won't go back to 29er any time soon and am trying to get my hands on a Pivot Les 27.5 because it is the only HT I can find in 27.5 with boost rear spacing.

As others have said the results is the engine, not the bike, but I prefer 27.5 and the difference was immediate the first time I rode one. Just much more fun to ride especially through tight turns and down switchbacks.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0 View Post
    I race on a 27.5+ FS or a 27.5 HT and love both of them. Looking to build a new 27.5 HT shortly.

I like the slightly smaller wheels, quicker handling, and I don't notice the roll over difference vs a 29er. To each their own but I won't go back to 29er any time soon and am trying to get my hands on a Pivot Les 27.5 because it is the only HT I can find in 27.5 with boost rear spacing.

As others have said the results is the engine, not the bike, but I prefer 27.5 and the difference was immediate the first time I rode one. Just much more fun to ride especially through tight turns and down switchbacks.
    I like the 27.5 very much too. It's very telepathic and easy to ride rapidly. It's definitely not the bike holding me back from faster segment times.

Braille Riding Instructor
    Jan 2008
    My experience suggests the rubber you're on makes a great deal more difference than the wheel size, i.e., your times will usually be better on a fast-rolling, semi-knobby, 2.25-inch rear tire than a beefy, full-knobby, 2.35-inch (or more) rear tire.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I'm on a Giant Athem Adv 27.5 and compete in age group in XCO and XCM. It doesn't hold me back one bit. I correct the gearing with a larger chain ring. Most guys in my cat run a 32T on 29er and I run 34T on 27.5 to achieve the same development per crank revolution. No problem keeping up. Engine needs some more work though. 4W/kg isn't quite enough