mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Conversion to 1x11?

Hey all,

I am planning to convert my HT to 1x11, but I have a couple of questions. This is my bike - https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ro...r=172527-65475 I have converted it to 1x10, the bike has been used and abused so I decided to get a completely new drivetrain for it. I am interested in this groupset - https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...menu=1000,2,16 . There are BB30 and GXP options as far as BBs go and I do not know what type of BB my bike has. One more thing - will the new cassette fit my freehub?

Thanks!

P.S my derailleur hanger is bent, how can I find the specific hanger for my frame?

Rocking on a Rocky
    Get an https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...menu=1000,2,82 with a https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...enu=1000,2,111 and 11 speed shifter and an 11 speed front ring. Any Specialized dealer should have a hanger.
    It doesn't matter what I ride as long as I ride it Rubber Side Down●~●.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Your current BB is a 73mm threaded based on the bike specs. If the GXP option is a threaded one, then should work for you. Id ask on their chat to confirm. Try straightening your hanger first before replacing it. It is good to have a spare on hand though.

mtbr member
    One thing someone else pointed out a while ago about 11 (and 12) speed chains with Powerlock "quick links". They are one time use only. I've tried to get two uses out of them before with poor results.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thanks for the help. I hadnt ridden my HT for about a year since I keep it in my summer house and have a YT Capra as my main bike. I just came back from a 70km ride and besides drivetrain issues (which I ignore since I am planning to get a new drivetrain) I found two more. First is my BB creaking and the second one is that my freehub started to make a terrible grinding noise (I ride in sandy and salty conditions by the sea). If I were to change the drivetrain, the BB and the hub, would it be worth it for a $1.2k bike? Also what kind of BB should I get? Or should I just go to my LBS and let them deal with the BB and the hub?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Most likely your hub does not have a XD driver, but there are other 11 speed cassettes from SunRace, Shimano and Box that will work with your hub.
    EXODUX Jeff

Barely in control
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    One thing someone else pointed out a while ago about 11 (and 12) speed chains with Powerlock "quick links". They are one time use only. I've tried to get two uses out of them before with poor results.
    One use as in one chain life, right? I haven't had a problem with the 11 spd ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Supposing my hub is done for good, should I buy a new one myself and take it to my LBS for them to fit it (I have little to no experience with wheel associated repairs) or should I just let them buy the new one? What kind of hub do I need? Can you recommend any?

Thanks!

P.S Id like to fit a Shimano XT cassette on the new hub if that changes anything...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Sram NX cassette will fit. All other sram cassettes are only xd freehub compatible. NX is heavy thou compared to like shimano slx.
    If grip shift is a must then I can't recommend a shifter, but if not the slx groupset is great bang for buck.
    Weight difference is neglible to xt and it doesn't have the stiff shift feeling that some have complained in xt shifters.
    Conserning the hub I recommend let the shop deal with it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I would have your bike shop take a look at your current hub to see if it can be overhauled. If the hub is toast then you might consider going to SRAM XD driver based hub which gives you the option of a 10 tooth small cog in either 11 or 12 spd. Unless your bike shop is known for its wheel building skills I would probably just buy a complete wheel like this: https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content...ge=2;orderby=2. Alternatively, if you want a hand built wheel I would look into Colorado Cyclist which does a great job building wheels in my experience. With an XD driver hub I would use a GX 10-42 11spd cassette with either XT or SRAM shifting with a SRAM chain. Or just go 12spd SRAM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I did not know this. You may have just saved me considerable hassle.
    Little Bear: SC Superlight 29 | Goldilocks' Bear: Evil The Calling | Big Bear: SC Butcher